Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Is this sarcasm?

Oh Gosh I hope it is sarcasm. Do people really want an AWD Corvette? Let alone a purple one, with no engine noise.

If I was rich I'd get it and a new Z06 to trigger the winga dinga pushrod boomers.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

If I was rich I'd get it and a new Z06 to trigger the winga dinga pushrod boomers.

I hate pushrods.  I also really, REALLY hate that GM killed off the LTA engine.  I'm really hopeful that the LT7 (5.5L) is a worth heir. 

I can only imagine what portal to the abyss GM would open if they combined the unholy amalgamation of twin-sequential-turbos, a hot-V8 configuration, and 6.2L; and then just for good measure, padded the performance of it with dual motors for the front wheels pushing out another 200whp.  I think the earth's crust might rip apart.

15 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

What do you guys think about the Cupra Born 

image.thumb.png.b6f02614bd433ccf99916b29af82f527.png

I got mine 2 month’s ago, very happy so far. It looks way better than the ID.3, but other than that it is the same car. I was also cheaper than the ID.3 in Norway, but it has become more expensive after I got mine, same spec as mine now costs 55.000 NOK (5400 EUR) more than I paid for mine 

Personally I don’t like the looks of the Hyundai/KIA, and they are bigger cars than what I need, more like the ID.4, but they charges faster if you do a lot of longer trips

The Born charges fast enough if you only do long trips occasionally, but if you do long trips with several fast charging sessions often it might be worth looking into something that charges faster

11 hours ago, vetali said:

I dunno, Corvette to me was always a V8 sports car. The mid-engined thing is fine, because that what was designed to be initially, but electric is just cancer. Top 10 ways to remove all character out of a car. Put a battery, AWD, and 3-4 electric motors, and you have any other electric car (in the drivetrain), just with a different software profile. Yawwwwwn.

1 hour ago, Selle said:

I got mine 2 month’s ago, very happy so far. It looks way better than the ID.3, but other than that it is the same car. I was also cheaper than the ID.3 in Norway, but it has become more expensive after I got mine, same spec as mine now costs 55.000 NOK (5400 EUR) more than I paid for mine 

Personally I don’t like the looks of the Hyundai/KIA, and they are bigger cars than what I need, more like the ID.4, but they charges faster if you do a lot of longer trips

The Born charges fast enough if you only do long trips occasionally, but if you do long trips with several fast charging sessions often it might be worth looking into something that charges faster

Yes from what i've seen the ID3 and Born are basically the same car underneath. But the Cupra looks so much better, be it interior or exterior. If it's gonne be one of these two i'm pretty sure it's going to be the CUPRA.

The EV6 and IONIQ 5 both have their downsides. The Kia looks dumb from behind, the Hyundai looks terrible on the inside. And both are substantially more expensive with the spec i'd want.

I hate the wait that comes with a new car atm. I don't even know if i'm gonna get the same environmental bonus as current buyers. Currently you get 6000€ back from the govenment if you buy a fully electric vehicle and drive it for 6 months.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I dunno, Corvette to me was always a V8 sports car. The mid-engined thing is fine, because that what was designed to be initially, but electric is just cancer. Top 10 ways to remove all character out of a car. Put a battery, AWD, and 3-4 electric motors, and you have any other electric car (in the drivetrain), just with a different software profile. Yawwwwwn.

That's like saying the Iron Duke is the same as a Windsor 351 because they both use carburetors.

I mean, if you don't understand the differences in battery voltage architecture (eg. 800v on the Nevera; 400v on the Leaf); nor the differences in motors (eg. 478hp motor *4 on the Nevera; 215hp motor *1 on the Leaf); nor the differences in range, etc--then sure.  ALL EV's look the same.

Frankly, the argument you're making about EV's is even less tenable than the argument I have about manual transmissions; namely--they are all the same.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

That's like saying the Iron Duke is the same as a Windsor 351 because they both use carburetors.

I mean, if you don't understand the differences in battery voltage architecture (eg. 800v on the Nevera; 400v on the Leaf); nor the differences in motors (eg. 478hp motor *4 on the Nevera; 215hp motor *1 on the Leaf); nor the differences in range, etc--then sure.  ALL EV's look the same.

Frankly, the argument you're making about EV's is even less tenable than the argument I have about manual transmissions; namely--they are all the same.

I'm guessing he is talking about character through sound, as this is generally the main argument against electric when you get down to it. They want a big engine, needs to make a lot of noise, maybe give some pops. You want to hear rev the engine.

And btw, I don't fully disagree. I have nothing against electric, and I could get the car I want as an EV, I would do it. BUT I do like the sound of a strong engine, I understand that many don't care for it, or even don't like it, but living in a country where V8's are very rare, I can absolutely appreciate the sound of those engines.

Electric cars have noises. Hearing tires struggle for grip as they scrub over asphalt and electric motors whine and scream as they convert hundreds of amps into foot pounds of torque.

I'm of the mindset that every degree of heat given off, ever decibel emitted--is energy that is not being applied to rotating the tires.  Nor do I think that a driving experience is "disconnected" and "boring" because you aren't shifting gears (EV's generally only have 1 gear).

It's about the dance between feeling the grip your tires will provide and your own application of control.  When will you exceed skidpad for the ambient conditions?  At what point will the brakes lock the tires up?  And can you drive well enough to get the vehicle "warmed up" to where the brakes and tires are all operating in their ideal heat band for performance (ala F1)?

P.S.

I would much rather drive a single-speed electric with no ABS, no traction control and no stability control--than the most robust internal-combustion engine sports car with all of those things enabled.  Far more engaging.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Electric cars have noises. Hearing tires struggle for grip as they scrub over asphalt and electric motors whine and scream as they convert hundreds of amps into foot pounds of torque.

And to a lot of people that whine sounds awful

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

And to a lot of people that whine sounds awful

And straight pipe V8's sound terrible to me.

Hi all. New to this thread.

This is my 1990 Miata in Mariner Blue. I've owned it for about 7 years now.

I unfortunately haven't taken care of it as much as I used to, but I hope one day to try to replace a lot of the rusted bits and turn it into something nice. It has about 142,000 miles and is a short nose 1.6 that definitely has seen better days. Also has a lot of cosmetic problems, including lots of dings and dents. Though all that doesn't stop it from being something that I can full throttle everywhere, chuck around street corners super fast, and still get over 20 MPG while doing it, lol.

Only mods I've done is that I've been through three exhausts. Originally a silly straight pipe which was awful, a Tsudo Catback that I ran with a test pipe, and now I have a Yokohama catback that I run with a relatively new cat (Colorado emissions). I actually really like the sound since it's beefy and crisp without being too raspy (if at all), but it's also not too loud.

I also have the TireRack C1 wheels. Back in 2017 or so, I was inspired by another car that had the 7.5 width C1M version and 215s that was lowered, which has a clean fit. Though I unfortunately just got 7 inch C1s with a hub ring and 205 DZ102s. Would love to get some 8 wide and 225s assuming I can fit them, and probably some 200-300 TW tire instead.

I would like to probably put a 1.8 or 1.8 VVT in it following the advice of Car Passion Channel, and do some super charger. Rotrex would probably work best but of course a jackson racing intake-side would be dope if I can find one/pay for it. Would be nice to see it do low 200 hp with some wider and stickier tires, plus some suspension (still running KYB OEM replacments).

I also used to be pretty active on ClubRoadster, though I haven't since I haven't spent much time on the car. Though I'd like to chat over there again.

Went for a wash a couple days ago.

Spoiler

PXL_20220519_214412067.thumb.jpg.ff6e360b03ed42fbb6829d7c5628ffc4.jpgPXL_20220519_214728433.thumb.jpg.8faa1c8164f758302f2c4c17f279be58.jpg

Here's some older photos from a few years ago:

Spoiler

Went driving with a friend back in New York at Lake George. Me and his GC8 with lots of brake dust after carving some super recently paved asphalt roads.

Went driving with a friend back in New York at Lake George. Me and his GC8 with lots of brake dust after carving some super recently paved asphalt roads.

Another photo from the same day:

44997241124_088ecda812_k.thumb.jpg.d4b1bfcf7c10292f05da42f69ac4c765.jpg

Photos back when I took it to Miatas at the Gap in 2017 at the end of the Dragon

40219546172_918883e212_k(1).thumb.jpg.22a946c6680e5cbd2dcaae573688c706.jpg

38453481030_af8b958357_k.thumb.jpg.a9351b8ed9e23fb02fe1d89ee942b632.jpg

40219545432_2bf2d35011_k.thumb.jpg.f267ad233556d0ba204d076b5077b6e7.jpg

16 hours ago, IPD said:

#1, the Leaf is behind the curve, still using passively cooled batteries.

But yeah, I get that, but the C8 isn't exactly the same kind of vehicle as a Leaf. Or a Nevera. It is more on the same tier with the Taycan, Which has 2 motors sure, but AWD, and is very quiet. Plus, normal cars have differences in range, except the difference is 500 mi vs 700 mi, not 270 mi and then an hour long charge vs 340 mi and a 45 min charge. 

In terms of no EVs in general, they have so many things wrong with them that it isn't funny. Let's say you want to help the environment. 

#1. I live in Indiana, which gets its electricity from coal. 

#2. The materials in a battery are produced by child labor (namely Cobalt, among others), and huge strip mines that ruin the environment far more than an ICE. 

#3. A used Tesla P90D will cost you $20,000, and then a new battery that Tesla recommends (because your vehicle no longer works as a result of a bad cell, to prevent kaboom) costs $20,000. Reduce Reuse Recycle in that order. You can't reuse the vehicle, as it costs just as much to fix the thing as it is worth. That is generally the point at which people get a new vehicle. ICE cars can last millions of miles (Lexus LS400, Cummins RAM, basically any Toyota/Honda), whereas in an electric vehicle you might get 200K if you live in a cooler area (more damage occurs at higher temperatures, hence the active cooling of the battery).

#4. Fast charging is being promoted heavily as a counter to the "I can fill my gas tank in 2 minutes, while it takes you 2 hours" argument. Except faster charging means more wear on your battery. Something you can test today. My iPhone SE (2nd Gen)'s battery is at 90% capacity (in theory, it is more like 75%) because initially I used 30W chargers to charge the thing. That causes your battery to fail a lot faster. So in order to "fill your tank" you have to damage your vehicle, got it. And if you want to "fill your tank" in a reasonable time frame, you have to damage your battery more. And that is assuming that your charging station supports it, and doesn't cost more than a tank of gas.

Or you can get an old $2000 beater Civic, that will sip on gas, and work for another 400K. Keeping all of the manufacturing waste of a new car out of the environment. If you care about the environment, get a Honda Insight. Or a Prius. Because at least the batteries are only 4k-7k, not 20k.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

And straight pipe V8's sound terrible to me.

Try no pipe lol. When I was doing my internship, someone brought their Toyota Tundra with the 4.7L V8 in because the cats got stolen. the guys were taking bets on what fancy exhaust it had (it was making that balloon sounding noise), and it literally had nothing lol

14 hours ago, IPD said:

I'm of the mindset that every degree of heat given off, ever decibel emitted--is energy that is not being applied to rotating the tires.  Nor do I think that a driving experience is "disconnected" and "boring" because you aren't shifting gears (EV's generally only have 1 gear).

It's about the dance between feeling the grip your tires will provide and your own application of control.  When will you exceed skidpad for the ambient conditions?  At what point will the brakes lock the tires up?  And can you drive well enough to get the vehicle "warmed up" to where the brakes and tires are all operating in their ideal heat band for performance (ala F1)?

P.S.

I would much rather drive a single-speed electric with no ABS, no traction control and no stability control--than the most robust internal-combustion engine sports car with all of those things enabled.  Far more engaging.

I'm mixed on the shifting. I don't think you need a manual, but I like having the control of when I shift, definitely adds to the feeling. I drive a manual btw, which is the standard over here. My next car will very likely be an automatic, because we have loads of traffic here, and in traffic a manual is no fun.

I fully agree that electric cars can absolutely be fun.

Personally for me sound is a thing, it doesn't need to be super loud or whatever, but I can absolutely appreciate a good sounding car, and I've always had a thing for the sound of muscle cars.

As for those systems, well that applies to all cars, the less stuff taking over your control over the car, the more fun it becomes.

6 hours ago, DarkSwordsman said:

Hide contents

PXL_20220519_214412067.thumb.jpg.ff6e360b03ed42fbb6829d7c5628ffc4.jpgPXL_20220519_214728433.thumb.jpg.8faa1c8164f758302f2c4c17f279be58.jpg

Awesome colour, and gotta love an NA. If I'd properly fit in there, I would to get one.

5 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

#1, the Leaf is behind the curve, still using passively cooled batteries.

But yeah, I get that, but the C8 isn't exactly the same kind of vehicle as a Leaf. Or a Nevera. It is more on the same tier with the Taycan, Which has 2 motors sure, but AWD, and is very quiet. Plus, normal cars have differences in range, except the difference is 500 mi vs 700 mi, not 270 mi and then an hour long charge vs 340 mi and a 45 min charge. 

In terms of no EVs in general, they have so many things wrong with them that it isn't funny. Let's say you want to help the environment. 

#1. I live in Indiana, which gets its electricity from coal. 

#2. The materials in a battery are produced by child labor (namely Cobalt, among others), and huge strip mines that ruin the environment far more than an ICE. 

#3. A used Tesla P90D will cost you $20,000, and then a new battery that Tesla recommends (because your vehicle no longer works as a result of a bad cell, to prevent kaboom) costs $20,000. Reduce Reuse Recycle in that order. You can't reuse the vehicle, as it costs just as much to fix the thing as it is worth. That is generally the point at which people get a new vehicle. ICE cars can last millions of miles (Lexus LS400, Cummins RAM, basically any Toyota/Honda), whereas in an electric vehicle you might get 200K if you live in a cooler area (more damage occurs at higher temperatures, hence the active cooling of the battery).

#4. Fast charging is being promoted heavily as a counter to the "I can fill my gas tank in 2 minutes, while it takes you 2 hours" argument. Except faster charging means more wear on your battery. Something you can test today. My iPhone SE (2nd Gen)'s battery is at 90% capacity (in theory, it is more like 75%) because initially I used 30W chargers to charge the thing. That causes your battery to fail a lot faster. So in order to "fill your tank" you have to damage your vehicle, got it. And if you want to "fill your tank" in a reasonable time frame, you have to damage your battery more. And that is assuming that your charging station supports it, and doesn't cost more than a tank of gas.

Or you can get an old $2000 beater Civic, that will sip on gas, and work for another 400K. Keeping all of the manufacturing waste of a new car out of the environment. If you care about the environment, get a Honda Insight. Or a Prius. Because at least the batteries are only 4k-7k, not 20k.

Heat is the #1 killer of batteries.  It's not fast charging.  It's not even keeping it at 100% and using it down to 0% on a regular basis (although that doesn't help).  The biggest thing is heat.

I'm well aware that the USA has a fetish for fossil-fuel energy.  I was reminded of that every time I was driving past Noblesville.  I don't fault EV's or the companies that make them--for the abject dearth of alternate energy sources in the USA.  Nuclear should be at least 100% more of a presence than it is now.  And the NIMBY's have also stopped offshore wind farms, solar farm, and a host of other options that would help eliminate fossil fuels.  So the USA keeps ticking by at 60% energy production from fossil fuels.  Blame the idiots in charge and the people who keep re-electing them.

p.s.

Again, I don't give a rip about fast-charging.  I don't give a rip about interstate travel on EV.  All I want is a 100-150 mile range on an electric motorcycle that I can use to get to and from work--and charge only on a level 2 charger in my garage overnight.  That would be one less commuter putting CO2 in the atmosphere.  The fact that this isn't a sub-10k option in the USA...just underscores how dreadfully adrift the USA is in this regard.

Question to those of you from the US, and more specifically Michigan. 

I am finding very mixed results on this topic so I wanted some clarification. I am not 18 and have a level 2 GDL (Graduated Drivers License). Can I still pull a trailer if I'm not 18? I see a lot of stuff about laws for class R endorsements and CDL's but not anthing about driving with a smaller trailer as a minor. 

If any of y'all know it'd be very much appreciated cause I just wanna pull my boat trailer and don't know if I can do so legally. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

9 minutes ago, BrandonT.05 said:

Question to those of you from the US, and more specifically Michigan. 

I am finding very mixed results on this topic so I wanted some clarification. I am not 18 and have a level 2 GDL (Graduated Drivers License). Can I still pull a trailer if I'm not 18? I see a lot of stuff about laws for class R endorsements and CDL's but not anthing about driving with a smaller trailer as a minor. 

If any of y'all know it'd be very much appreciated cause I just wanna pull my boat trailer and don't know if I can do so legally. 

Best thing would be to stop by or call the non emergency for your local police department to get clarification or call the non emergency number for a state trooper lodge. They might need to look it up and call you back, but they'll know because that's their job.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Best thing would be to stop by or call the non emergency for your local police department to get clarification or call the non emergency number for a state trooper lodge. They might need to look it up and call you back, but they'll know because that's their job.

Or your state's DOT, they should absolutely know the specifics of this question.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, IPD said:

Heat is the #1 killer of batteries.  It's not fast charging.  It's not even keeping it at 100% and using it down to 0% on a regular basis (although that doesn't help).  The biggest thing is heat.

I'm well aware that the USA has a fetish for fossil-fuel energy.  I was reminded of that every time I was driving past Noblesville.  I don't fault EV's or the companies that make them--for the abject dearth of alternate energy sources in the USA.  Nuclear should be at least 100% more of a presence than it is now.  And the NIMBY's have also stopped offshore wind farms, solar farm, and a host of other options that would help eliminate fossil fuels.  So the USA keeps ticking by at 60% energy production from fossil fuels.  Blame the idiots in charge and the people who keep re-electing them.

p.s.

Again, I don't give a rip about fast-charging.  I don't give a rip about interstate travel on EV.  All I want is a 100-150 mile range on an electric motorcycle that I can use to get to and from work--and charge only on a level 2 charger in my garage overnight.  That would be one less commuter putting CO2 in the atmosphere.  The fact that this isn't a sub-10k option in the USA...just underscores how dreadfully adrift the USA is in this regard.

Man I really feel like EV’s have grown in other countries because it makes more sense in a lot of those areas especially when fuel is incredibly expensive, it just kinda naturally creates EV demand.

What people forget is the US has a huge population that lives outside of large cities with long commutes and we’ve also enjoyed pretty cheap fuel for a long time compared to the rest of the world. It’s really only somewhat expensive in California and even that is less than many other places in the world. And it’s only pricy there because their fuel taxes are ridiculous 

So to many Americans EV’s have made little to no economic sense. You can tell people all day long that it’s better for the environment, but that doesn’t mean people will spend absurd amounts of money just because it’s better. People are not rich, most people are bad with finances or living paycheck to paycheck, and they are just trying to get to work cost effectively.

Things are changing though, EV’s in the US are gradually starting to make more sense. It will happen naturally, give it time. (I’m all for natural progression! Better technology always wins out because it makes more sense in the long run). I do think government forcing something to happen is inefficient and can create issues especially when things aren’t well thought out because of it.

also trust me you don’t want to commute 40 miles by motorcycle on garbage Louisiana roads when it’s 94F outside with 90% humidity and then it starts pouring down raining for no reason in the afternoon and the roads are filled with idiots who think you’re invisible 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1