Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

32 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

My default view is the regular thumbnail one, not the 'expose' or whatever they call that view.

The reason there are so many is that as the tree counts down, I hold the button down for burst mode and catch all of the launch.

Mainly so I can catch shots like this without having to time it.  Love the way those slicks wrinkle.

51364296714_a59963f131_o.jpg

I completely get why, but to anyone else viewing it...it's kind of a mess.

Fun strip, I haven't been up there in almost 20 years I think. I think I'm on TCG but it's not really my kind of place.

8 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

My default view is the regular thumbnail one, not the 'expose' or whatever they call that view.

The reason there are so many is that as the tree counts down, I hold the button down for burst mode and catch all of the launch.

Mainly so I can catch shots like this without having to time it.  Love the way those slicks wrinkle.

I can already hear the machine gun noises coming from the camera

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Well, the E34's issues started piling up with me being clueless as to what was going on and I blew a headgasket, after the thing passed it's MOT and overheated while doing it.
I'm now starting to order tools and parts and I just wanted to know what you lot have to say for a noob that's going to tackle a headgasket job as his first relevant job on an engine xD
I have the Bentley manual to read and consult, but since I'm taking out the head and the lot, what else do you recommend me to do/replace?
Obviously I need to know if I warped or cracked the head, or even the block. If the head is cracked, I'll send it to machining shop to hopefully fix it, if that is not financially viable, just buy another one hoping that it's in better shape. Same goes for the block.
With the head out, valve lapping will also be done. (24 valve job, gonna be fun)
Clean both head and block surfaces and give it a slight polish while keeping both of them straight (check with feelers and a straight edge, need to order those too; applies for the head if I don't send it to the machining shop)
Also plan on checking if the water pump and cooling system in general are doing a proper job, since they weren't, clearly. Thermostat and radiator temperature switch will be replaced.

I'm going to put the car in a shop and get them to fix it, not going DIY this time for now. But I'd still like to hear what you have to say anyway

5 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Well, the E34's issues started piling up with me being clueless as to what was going on and I blew a headgasket, after the thing passed it's MOT and overheated while doing it.
I'm now starting to order tools and parts and I just wanted to know what you lot have to say for a noob that's going to tackle a headgasket job as his first relevant job on an engine xD
I have the Bentley manual to read and consult, but since I'm taking out the head and the lot, what else do you recommend me to do/replace?
Obviously I need to know if I warped or cracked the head, or even the block. If the head is cracked, I'll send it to machining shop to hopefully fix it, if that is not financially viable, just buy another one hoping that it's in better shape. Same goes for the block.
With the head out, valve lapping will also be done. (24 valve job, gonna be fun)
Clean both head and block surfaces and give it a slight polish while keeping both of them straight (check with feelers and a straight edge, need to order those too; applies for the head if I don't send it to the machining shop)
Also plan on checking if the water pump and cooling system in general are doing a proper job, since they weren't, clearly. Thermostat and radiator temperature switch will be replaced.

LS swap when

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

LS swap when

On this one, never. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I'm going to put the car in a shop and get them to fix it, not going DIY this time for now. But I'd still like to hear what you have to say anyway

Grab a rebuilt engine, going to be way less hassle long term.

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Grab a rebuilt engine, going to be way less hassle long term.

might as well make a M50B30 and swap it over once its completed by that point @JoaoPRSousa :ph34r:

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Volvo V70 D3 2016 ... Nearing 151000 kilometers driven..

Engine turned off while accelerating and i had to park on the side of the road..

Said check engine on the dashboard..

Bad sign?

Car said to hold the start button for 6 seconds while it tried starting..

I really hope its nothing serious because i really love this car 😞

Got CoveragePlus so i should be good but its been serviced recently so im scared .. 😐

Got insurance on the engine too if its beyond repair but its been working good so far 🙃

Engine problems.. oh no.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Ford 7.3, why not?

We can't make him even more broke

14 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

might as well make a M50B30 and swap it over once its completed by that point @JoaoPRSousa :ph34r:

If only I could get an actual quotation on a camshaft and a set of pistons from the scrappies...

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

If only I could get an actual quotation on a camshaft and a set of pistons from the scrappies...

i dont think that scrappies will bother to take apart an engine for you 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i dont think that scrappies will bother to take apart an engine for you 

I'm using a Spanish site (since I can't find a similar Portuguese one) and when I sent them an email asking for prices on the crank and pistons for the specified vehicle, they replied asking for "a picture of the technical data" (?) and I didn't even know what to respond XD

It is warm today. 90F with 66% humidity for 107 heat index. For you non 'muricans that's 32C and 41.5C. Only the tiny shop offíce has AC, shop has fans. I'm nice and let my elderly boss use most of them, I can handle it better. 

Give me a reason to not drive to Wisconsin to go buy this right now 1CE7BE34-B2F2-4478-AB4A-A12E7116A794.png.da35cf4033271fd9985a3fcd072536ab.png

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Give me a reason to not drive to Wisconsin to go buy this right now 1CE7BE34-B2F2-4478-AB4A-A12E7116A794.png.da35cf4033271fd9985a3fcd072536ab.png

because im probably closer

15 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Give me a reason to not drive to Wisconsin to go buy this right now 

I won't. But your wallet probably would give you plenty, I doubt it's running and driving for that price. But if you're willing to get it up to snuff, do it

4 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I won't. But your wallet probably would give you plenty, I doubt it's running and driving for that price. But if you're willing to get it up to snuff, do it

Since the owner can’t spell Subaru I wonder if it runs but they just trying to get rid of it quick 

or it’s a scam lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It's in Wisconsin and the photos are potato quality, probably to hide all the horrible horrible rust.

Ever heard a straight piped VW beetle because the exhaust rusted and sheared off? 

Ever wanted to? 

No? Too bad here it is anyways 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Ever heard a straight piped VW beetle because the exhaust rusted and sheared off? 

Ever wanted to? 

Sounds like every idiot here with a 90s honda civic that thinks they're cool banging it off the rev limiter for 20 seconds

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Ever wanted to? 

I've got some good speakers on my PC, I'm confident that I heard exactly what you hear in the cabin. You need to get out in the country and get on it so we can hear that turbo!