Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Forced induction isn't really more efficient. You're just stuffing a smaller cylinder with the same amount of air that the larger cylinder is getting anyways, and if your compression ratios are the same, then your using the same amount of fuel.

This is what happens when you snort too much drywall dust.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

40 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's more efficient in terms of power density.

That sounds like nothing more than a convenient cop out for 90% of situations.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"9"

You mean 2.5.

I just used the number I found multiple times when searching for 2018 F150 V6 MPG towing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I just used the number I found multiple times when searching for 2018 F150 V6 MPG towing.

I guess they managed to quadruple the gas mileage under heavy load in just seven short years. Ford doin' it great like always. /s

4 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Well... not really. Yeah, technology has advanced. You can make power out of anything, but that’s not the reason why they used it. They used it cause that’s most likely what Ford wanted. If they wanted to show off that You can substitute a V8, they would have put it in the Hoonicorn. The mustang was originally designed as a cruiser, and only available with a 6 cylinder. The 289 didn’t become available until 67 iirc. Also, there actually is no substitute to how a V8 makes power. Just like there’s no substitute to the raw scream of a 2JZ, or the sexy toned-ness of the 1JZ (or the shitty trumpeteer 350Z lol). Ford is one of ken blocks main sponsors so he has to listen to them a little bit. Also a TT V6 will have a closet powerband to his rally cars than a V8. Less weight also, even though aluminum blocks make weight difference minimal.

(Also you’re just calling yourself a 6-cyl fanboy so there’s not much difference :P )

(also Ken Block has been driving 4-cyls for basically his entire career. His only V8 car is the Hoonicorn and his wife’s bronco)

I know why they used it; because ford uses them in their modern F150's and what-not. I know it wasn't to give the finger to V8 fanboys - I was being sarcastic. Forgot the "/s" ;) 

Not a 6 cylinder fanboy. I love all types of engines and aspiration (NA, SC, TC, (turbo being my favourite for how efficient they are at producing power and the sounds they make :D)). I also love technology and the melding of the two. 

It's just cool. The Hoonicorn mustang had an NA V8, then a TT V8 and now the new Hoonitruck, which is a bigger, heavier vehicle, is using a smaller engine with fewer cylinders, but those awesome turbos still allow it to produce gobs of power - more than enough to roast all 4 of those fat, steam-roller tires with ease. It's impressive, IMO. It doesn't need a larger V8 and further more; it's probably not that laggy either because the turbos don't need to be (and aren't) massive.  

IMO, there is replacement for displacement, but it's a matter of preference. We all like different things and that's fine. In a case like this where peak power in the upper-half of the rpm range needs to be anywhere between 700-1000, that goal can be achieved in many different ways. I just prefer the methods that don't require a giant, heavy engine to do it, that's all. 

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

there is not true substitute, a TURBO is a lame excuse for not enough cubic inches.

And the cost of that motor compared to a decently tuned LS3 or 454 is crazy. 

Adding displacement is a lame excuse for not being able to make enough power/cubic inch. ;) Where performance-oriented engines are concerned, anything much less than 100hp/litre of displacement is pretty low by today's standards, IMO. 

Additionally, do you know how heavy a 454 is and how light that 3.5TT V6 is? In this type of usage (hoon-mobile), lightness is quite important. 

4 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Yeah... plus you know how much technology goes into high horsepower naturally aspirated cars? A lot more than slapping a turbo on it lol

There's a lot of tech that goes into both. Engines with forced induction have to deal with extra heat to the pistons and exhaust valves, the pistons and combustion chamber design is different, the cams and valve timing is different, the intake and exhaust manifolds are different, wastegate design integration and control, the turbos have to be properly sized for the application (displacement and power range/target), the list goes on. There is A LOT more to FI than just "slapping a turbo on". 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

As long as it does donuts and means skids, does it really matter what engine? 

Both really have their pros and cons. Just a matter of preference. Something to be said for turbos (not with flat-4 boxer engines) and for N/A V8s. 

16 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

more than enough to roast all 4 of those fat, steam-roller tires with ease

Watch the video, there's a clip of it doing just that lol. It looks so sexy in it's raw form.

IMO, there is replacement for displacement, but it's a matter of preference. We all like different things and that's fine. In a case like this where peak power in the upper-half of the rpm range needs to be anywhere between 700-1000, that goal can be achieved in many different ways. I just prefer the methods that don't require a giant, heavy engine to do it, that's all. 

I think you're seeing V8s as a handicap, and small displacement turbo engines as a solution. I might remind you that the Ferrari F40 uses a small displacement twin turbo wait for it... V8 ;) Really, it could be seen as the opposite as well.

I just prefer the methods that don't require a giant, heavy engine to do it, that's all. 

Adding displacement is a lame excuse for not being able to make enough power/cubic inch. ;) Where performance-oriented engines are concerned, anything much less than 100hp/litre of displacement is pretty low by today's standards, IMO. 

Additionally, do you know how heavy a 454 is and how light that 3.5TT V6 is? In this type of usage (hoon-mobile), lightness is quite important. 

All aluminum V8s are similar in weight to many turbo cars. And all LS motors are aluminum, and Ford makes their "Aluminator" all aluminum crate motors. They're all around or under 500 lbs dry. I watch a youtuber who's doing an LS swap on a Miata (was a turbo 1.8), and I think it's only adding like double digits in weight. Aren't the majority of the famous Japanese motors mostly iron blocks?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

6 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Watch the video, there's a clip of it doing just that lol. It looks so sexy in it's raw form.

Oh I know, I saw. I smiled. ;) 

6 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I think you're seeing V8s as a handicap, and small displacement turbo engines as a solution. I might remind you that the Ferrari F40 uses a small displacement twin turbo wait for it... V8 ;) Really, it could be seen as the opposite as well.

V8's as a handicap? Not at all. Note I said I prefer the methods that don't require a giant heavy engine to make lots of power. I didn't say big heavy V8's. I love V8's and the F40 is one of my all-time favourite cars. :) 

10 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

All aluminum V8s are similar in weight to many turbo cars. And all LS motors are aluminum, and Ford makes their "Aluminator" all aluminum crate motors. They're all around or under 500 lbs dry. I watch a youtuber who's doing an LS swap on a Miata (was a turbo 1.8), and I think it's only adding like double digits in weight. Aren't the majority of the famous Japanese motors mostly iron blocks?

Those aluminium V8's are great and yes, they are light. I was referring to the 454 mentioned which is a brute in weight. Some of the best Jap engines are iron blocks, but they're also smaller displacement and most are capable of high triple-digit numbers or more. 

But yeah, aluminium LS-swaps into cars that had equally heavy (or heavier) iron block 4 or 6 cylinder engines are awesome too. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I was referring to the 454 mentioned which is a brute in weight

Yeah true... cheap af though lol.

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

But yeah, aluminium LS-swaps into cars that had equally heavy (or heavier) iron block 4 or 6 cylinder engines are awesome too. 

That was very... strange to watch lol. I didn't think it was the volvo at first. But man... volvo wagons are awesome. and CCWs too... My heart

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

Every older Japanese engine I've seen has a cast iron block and aluminum head, even the not so famous or performance-oriented ones.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I just had to jinx it... Started snowing today -_- should get warmer next week so it will probably melt but I'm also buissy all week pretty much so if I can't get it inspected on Monday or Tuesday next week then Il just prep it for winter storage and cry I guess :(

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I just had to jinx it... Started snowing today -_- should get warmer next week so it will probably melt but I'm also buissy all week pretty much so if I can't get it inspected on Monday or Tuesday next week then Il just prep it for winter storage and cry I guess :(

My dad just bought a boat earlier this week. You best bet we went out in 50 degree weather and 20+mph winds. And you best bet we're gonna be going out for the next couple weeks. Who cares what's on the ground

[Under Construction]

7 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

My dad just bought a boat earlier this week. You best bet we went out in 50 degree weather and 20+mph winds. And you best bet we're gonna be going out for the next couple weeks. Who cares what's on the ground

Well when you lock the tires and it does nothing then I care :P black ice under the snow is nothing I want to mess with

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, Cereal5 said:

The longest I've gone without washing one of my cars was... I think I'm at around 11 months, and counting

I've gone 14 months without washing my wagon ?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What does “snowing” mean? 

? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@warmmilk

Screenshot_20181027-100439.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

11 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Now now now, I like Straight 4s, V and 60 6s and V8s. 

hey, i didnt say you ... i said V8 fanboys

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

V8's sound great tbh. Easy power from a N/A V8 with a supercharger. Also pretty common in the states, parts easy to install etc. 

i would argue that there are engines that sound better, but that is a matter of personal preference. Also it isnt really NA if it has a supercharger ;) 

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

You do if the end goal is a simple engine, or pairing displacement with forced induction for more power than what's possible with just one or the other.

Forced induction isn't really more efficient. You're just stuffing a smaller cylinder with the same amount of air that the larger cylinder is getting anyways, and if your compression ratios are the same, then your using the same amount of fuel. The only advantage you might see in efficiency is when running very light loads on the vehicle, and this is with the assumption that the big block is always firing on all cylinders and producing excess power.

If you introduce mild hybrid systems, like RAM's new eTorque system, or design the big block to not fire on all cylinders at low loads, or not produce excess power at low loads, then that big block is EASILY as efficient.

Hell, the F150 V6 Ecoboost can drop to 9MPG under heavy loads, which is in the same neighborhood as the 8.0L V10 Magnum Dodge was using in '96.

no the point is that you dont need it, there are many V6, I6. I5 and I4 engines that can make the same if not more power than a NA V8 .. and that was my point

also as @bcredeur97 said, its more efficent in terms of power density ... i never mentioned MPG, since they would use just about the same amount of fuel

and as he said ... if you force the same amount of air trough a 4 cylinder with a turbo instead of a big v8 sucking it itself ... you will need to add fuel the same amounts of fuel ... ends up having the same power in usually a smaller, lighter package 

9 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

I think you missed he whole part about powerband and how the engine responds I like anything that makes power. Actually I think turbo inline 3’s are some of the coolest things out there. But you can’t attack a V8, and call anyone who defends it a fanboy. For the record, plenty don European manufacturers use V8s in their mid to high tier performance vehicles and sedans.

On a side note, the 5.2 Voodoo in the GT350/350R makes 500 some odd horsepower and gets like almost 30 mpg on the highway. So that’s 100+ hp per liter. Sounds like a lot of technology to me

I actually think you didnt get my point....

Defending a V8 is one thing ... but saying that there is not substitute for displacement or a big V8 ... is just ridiculous 

Also the powerband, sure it does depend on the engine size, but still you can mostly either fix it or fuck it up with a setup and tuning.

Yes i know that Europeans use V8s and i actually am amazed as to how Koenigsegg got 1360hp out of a 5.0L V8 with 2 turbos reliably ... that is a lot of technology ... 

also the MPG on highway ... is mostly gearing and tire setup that gets you to cruise at as low as possible RPM

it would be impressive if that engine could get that MPG in the city ;) 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

12 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

hey, i didnt say you ... i said V8 fanboys

i would argue that there are engines that sound better, but that is a matter of personal preference. Also it isnt really NA if it has a supercharger ;) 

no the point is that you dont need it, there are many V6, I6. I5 and I4 engines that can make the same if not more power than a NA V8 .. and that was my point

also as @bcredeur97 said, its more efficent in terms of power density ... i never mentioned MPG, since they would use just about the same amount of fuel

and as he said ... if you force the same amount of air trough a 4 cylinder with a turbo instead of a big v8 sucking it itself ... you will need to add fuel the same amounts of fuel ... ends up having the same power in usually a smaller, lighter package 

I actually think you didnt get my point....

Defending a V8 is one thing ... but saying that there is not substitute for displacement or a big V8 ... is just ridiculous 

Also the powerband, sure it does depend on the engine size, but still you can mostly either fix it or fuck it up with a setup and tuning.

Yes i know that Europeans use V8s and i actually am amazed as to how Koenigsegg got 1360hp out of a 5.0L V8 with 2 turbos reliably ... that is a lot of technology ... 

also the MPG on highway ... is mostly gearing and tire setup that gets you to cruise at as low as possible RPM

it would be impressive if that engine could get that MPG in the city ;) 

now where the mpg benefits are of big power 4 cylinders is if you just putt putt around and stay out of boost it's basically like an N/A engine so you do save money if you're say... just commuting and taking your time. 

But us car nuts dont do that. we like to use all da powahhhh.. and thus, all the fuel. all the time xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

no the point is that you dont need it

Unless you're driving a utility vehicle for the utility of the vehicle (so exclude the rat rod truck garbage), you don't need the power anyways, rendering your point moot.

And again, a V8 delivers that power with simpler mechanical designs. You can also turbo and supercharge a V8 and get more power out of it than you can with a small block 3, 4, or 6 cylinder.

And this isn't considering factors like turbo lag (which is a huge issue with the Ford EcoBust engine), additional maintenance, or the cost of manufacturing these systems.

A V8 has that power available to it immediately, most of them are simple to maintain, and they're cheap.

Plus, your vendetta against the North American V8 loses all traction in the actual motor enthusiast world. You only have a surface level kniwledge of these engines, and only look at the out of the box performance. These engines are often factory gimped, and it's fairly easy to tune them to get a considerable amount more horse power without resorting to complicating the engine bay.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've gone 14 months without washing my wagon ?

Is this a competition I hear? Well i'll have you know, my dad beats the crap out of every single one of you, he doesn't wash his vehicles, he lets the rain do the work

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

These engines are often factory gimped, and it's fairly easy to tune them to get a considerable amount more horse power without resorting to complicating the engine bay.

Well they are Murican, so of course they need to be gimped(coughs up blood ugh why must you make me say that, I have a love for dodge and I just insulted them, how dare you make me say this, to try and save my life, i'll be more specific, the modern ones need to be gimped, the old and glorious ones didnt)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

6 minutes ago, themaniac said:

I have a love for dodge and I just insulted them, how dare you make me say this, to try and save my life, i'll be more specific, the modern ones need to be gimped, the old and glorious ones didnt

Dodge/RAM seem to have moral issues with gimped V8s and pushing the heavily overrated turbo/super small bocks, seeing as for every one of those they offer, they also offer two of these four Hellcat/Demon/Cummins i6/V10 along side them, demonstrating that when you need or want ALOT of performance, there really is no replacement for displacement.

Which is why I would easily choose a Challenger over a Ford Highland Pony.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

See, we're all "arguing" from different perspectives and keep bringing different applications to the surface to support our arguments. 

That's the key thing here, IMO. The specific application. I started off referring to the Hoonitruck and it went all over the place from there. 

There are applications where all the different types of engines and power methods will shine better than others and some where it's an option between several. In some cases, a big, lazy V8 works great. In others, a high-strung turbo 4cylinder is better. There are none that are ultimately better than everything in every way. 

Just to clarify one thing; the 3.5 ecoboost develops more torque than it's V8 counterpart at a much lower rpm and holds that torque throughout most of it's rpm range. Yes, there's a short delay as the boost comes on, but personally, I like the way turbos build power and I'd rather have that additional torque at the lower rpm and the wider power-band vs the V8. Again, it's a matter of personal preference. If you prefer the V8, that's fine. Neither is ultimately better than the other, you still get the power you need. It's just two different methods to achieve the same end-goal in this application. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

See, we're all "arguing" from different perspectives and keep bringing different applications to the surface to support our arguments. 

That's the key thing here, IMO. The specific application. I started off referring to the Hoonitruck and it went all over the place from there. 

There are applications where all the different types of engines and power methods will shine better than others and some where it's an option between several. In some cases, a big, lazy V8 works great. In others, a high-strung turbo 4cylinder is better. There are none that are ultimately better than everything in every way. 

Just to clarify one thing; the 3.5 ecoboost develops more torque than it's V8 counterpart at a much lower rpm and holds that torque throughout most of it's rpm range. Yes, there's a short delay as the boost comes on, but personally, I like the way turbos build power and I'd rather have that additional torque at the lower rpm and the wider power-band vs the V8. Again, it's a matter of personal preference. If you prefer the V8, that's fine. Neither is ultimately better than the other, you still get the power you need. It's just two different methods to achieve the same end-goal in this application. ;) 

I noticed that. kinda funny. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

3.5 ecoboost develops more torque than it's V8 counterpart at a much lower rpm and holds that torque throughout most of it's rpm range

Have you ever used them to tow? They perform worse than the V8s they replaced. The EcoBoost engine is only good for meeting EPA requirements.

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

In some cases, a big, lazy V8 works great.

Nice low key insult.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.