Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

Agreed. 

I actually looked at what it would take to run my house off of solar, it was a 27 year ROI. Yeah, no thanks.

Even DIY’ing the system? Can’t be that hard...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Even DIY’ing the system? Can’t be that hard...

That was turn key, but even the materials carried a 14 year ROI. I just dont get it.

One of the guys down the block from me has a bunch of solar panels because his wife is super into the green lifestyle. After a few beers at a bonfire last year he admitted that it was pretty much just a fantastic way to pre-pay for 30 years of electricity. Haha. At least he's honest about it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

10 minutes ago, vetali said:

high flow cat will throw off the rear o2.

:/ 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That was turn key, but even the materials carried a 14 year ROI. I just dont get it.

One of the guys down the block from me has a bunch of solar panels because his wife is super into the green lifestyle. After a few beers at a bonfire last year he admitted that it was pretty much just a fantastic way to pre-pay for 30 years of electricity. Haha. At least he's honest about it. 

Taking into account that nothing breaks on the system within 30 years. 

Itll get cheaper one day, hopefully. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Taking into account that nothing breaks on the system within 30 years. 

Itll get cheaper one day, hopefully. 

I'm sure it will get cheaper. Most panels today carry a 20-25 year warranty to maintain at least 80% of their efficiency. The problem is, I'm not sure the batteries would last 25 years, so you're best off just feeding the grid during the day, and drawing from it in the evening when you're around. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm sure it will get cheaper. Most panels today carry a 20-25 year warranty to maintain at least 80% of their efficiency. The problem is, I'm not sure the batteries would last 25 years, so you're best off just feeding the grid during the day, and drawing from it in the evening when you're around. 

the energy company pays you for feeding the grid I assume? how do they measure that?

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

the energy company pays you for feeding the grid I assume? how do they measure that?

Yes they pay you, your meter simply runs backwards when you're feeding the grid. I don't know if they pay you full price though, as the price you pay has maintenance and construction of the grid built into it. 

42 minutes ago, vetali said:

Try a spark plug nonfouler in the rear o2. Used to work in ye olde days. Fords need a lot of city + highway driving to clear all monitors.

So, something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY

Or do you think I'll need an angle one? The location is kinda tight because it basically runs in a tunnel (Man I really dont want to go back under for this Down pipe if I dont have to)

image.png.7809bff6020f4f098ab3d3995108a4e7.png

image.png.2bb1ac81922127928c89f37fb1def1bd.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 2/4/2018 at 12:41 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

neither have i, but i had a quick trip in a BMW I3, and i live in a city which is basically a slope and that sucker, being tiny and light just rocketed up the hills like nothing else xD it was freaking amazing

I really like those things, according to CT a sport one is coming out this year

1 hour ago, IAR117 said:

I really like those things, according to CT a sport one is coming out this year

some rich guy in town here literally bought one to replace a golf cart that he used to putter around his neighborhood.

supposedly he removed the doors LOL

Spoiler

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’m so happy we don’t have emissions here. Because my car with its Japan ecu would be illegal.... if has no readiness monitors whatsoever lol

I'm honestly pondering over moving out of Cali when I start working on my project cars because CA is ANAL about emissions, you can't even switch out the air filter without getting CARB certification. And I sure doubt they'll let a twin turbo LS400 or a supercharged E39 M5 (the only supercharger that's 50 state legal is the Dinan supercharger, but that's costly and not available online) fly under the emissions radar, and keep it streetable. Love california as a state, hate the strict ass emissions.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Im pretty sure the air cleaner just needs to be CARB certified. They even come with stickers for your core support

On some applications like my corolla, the filter had to be carb certified, and there was no aftermarket air intake that was 50 state legal, because toyota put in some filter in the stock intake from factory and removing it would pollute past CA standards, so none of them have a workaround.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 hours ago, terrytek said:

On some applications like my corolla, the filter had to be carb certified, and there was no aftermarket air intake that was 50 state legal, because toyota put in some filter in the stock intake from factory and removing it would pollute past CA standards, so none of them have a workaround.

Ain’t going to get much from a corolla anyways tho

Spoiler

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I finished up the BOMs on the shed project. Looks like about $1800 or so. 

21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

some rich guy in town here literally bought one to replace a golf cart that he used to putter around his neighborhood.

supposedly he removed the doors LOL

Rich is an understatement, those things aren't cheap xD

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

This really hurt me:

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

This really hurt me:

I love that series haha

First exam passed for college, engines out the way with finally

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

So a little update for those playing at home,  

Found the Issue on the ST, It was a PVC vacuum line between the Filter housing and the Rocker cover, while pulling the car apart to find the issue we straight away saw the problem, Basically Audi style they used plastic for a pipe that runs hot oil through it, so over time it had become extremely brittle then it just snapped, While removing it, it fell apart completely. Turns out Ford are very aware of this issue and replaced the plastic one with a Rubber one, but seems they didn't do a replacement program, they just did it if your car was serviced by agents. one site even recommended it be changed with every service. 

IMG_1356.thumb.JPG.8691b35da805dbd4046c9ba7d6db0b0f.JPG

So I've ordered a rubber one and it should be here in a week or two but until then I made a temp solution, Its a little ugly but it gets the job done very nicely just can't boost hard or the pipe kinks and the car jerks horribly. 
27720562_10156193133978086_1168338014_n.jpg.5698f830b5610758e0419994357ce67c.jpg
so its granny driving for me for the next week. but happy that at least its sorted. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

@Not_Sean see! told you it was a vacuum leak

LOL xD

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@Not_Sean see! told you it was a vacuum leak

LOL xD

Yip, You were right, I love how everyone is so quick to jump to Turbo Seals though :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Which would you guys take?

Macan Turbo

Or

SQ5 Supercharged