Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Ours is 20x12x12 with 1' overhangs on the front and back. We've had the design for years and have built it three times, but the original design didn't have that. We've improved it over the few times we built it

Yup. This is set up 1' eves and overhangs. 

Half the reason I wanted to model the whole thing was to really think about it in depth. The other half is for a pretty damn good BOM. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

31 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'd like to put motorcycles in there in the winter so they dont take up room in the garage. 

didn't you pick up a model A like mid last year? How's that project coming?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

didn't you pick up a model A like mid last year? How's that project coming?

I did! And it's been chilling in the corner of the barn ever since. Havent really done anything with it yet.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

I did! And it's been chilling in the corner of the barn ever since. Havent really done anything with it yet.

...and so begins the story of the lost and forgotten Model A

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

...and so begins the story of the lost and forgotten Model A

Nah, just not a financial priority at the moment. But hey, it's inside for the first time in 30 years. That's gotta count for something.

10 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Nah, just not a financial priority at the moment. But hey, it's inside for the first time in 30 years. That's gotta count for something.

you're telling me.... life stinks :/

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Yup. This is set up 1' eves and overhangs. 

Half the reason I wanted to model the whole thing was to really think about it in depth. The other half is for a pretty damn good BOM. 

You going to run electricity out to it? We did, though we waited until the inspection was done because any shed in our county over 10x10 is taxable, and then is considered a "livable domain" or something if it has electricity in it. So we ran electricity after the fact and just haven't mentioned it (of course)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

So the inspection came up (technically not due till the end of Feb) but I decided to get a head start. Good thing too, because it failed emissions. Guy at the shop didnt bother to tell me, he said you're all set and I drove home, didnt realize it until i grabbed my receipt and it said failed on it. It was the O2 sensor ready check that failed. Weird, because the sensors seemed to work fine with the tune- AH! It must be because i have the Satge 3 tune on the Focus!!!

So I flash to stage 0 and bring it back in..... Fails with MORE issues (mostly because I didnt drive enough to let the ECU reset) so i drive until I get the check engine light (a sign to me that the 02 reads improper amounts in my high flow CAT). Out of curiosity I found my accessport actually can read all the same checks as the diagnostic system at the inspection place can..... And those O2 sensors were still "not ready". Turns out (maybe just in this case) Cobb disables the rear O2 sensor when the system is installed, so in order for me to get my car to pass I have to drop to stage 0 and then uninstall my Accessport entirely.....

Growing pains man. Hopefully this fixes it. I saw a fusion thread in NYS saying this is how they fixed it, so here's hoping...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

40 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're telling me.... life stinks :/

I know the feels. I'm lucky I can break off a few grand from the daily grind to build a shed.

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You going to run electricity out to it? We did, though we waited until the inspection was done because any shed in our county over 10x10 is taxable, and then is considered a "livable domain" or something if it has electricity in it. So we ran electricity after the fact and just haven't mentioned it (of course)

We dont need a permit up to 120 sqft. That happens to be exactly why its 10x12 haha. 

I'm not planning on running any electricity to it, but I might throw a solar panel on the roof and a battery inside just so I can run a few lights. I dont plan on using this as a shop at all. Just cold storage. 

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So the inspection came up (technically not due till the end of Feb) but I decided to get a head start. Good thing too, because it failed emissions. Guy at the shop didnt bother to tell me, he said you're all set and I drove home, didnt realize it until i grabbed my receipt and it said failed on it. It was the O2 sensor ready check that failed. Weird, because the sensors seemed to work fine with the tune- AH! It must be because i have the Satge 3 tune on the Focus!!!

So I flash to stage 0 and bring it back in..... Fails with MORE issues (mostly because I didnt drive enough to let the ECU reset) so i drive until I get the check engine light (a sign to me that the 02 reads improper amounts in my high flow CAT). Out of curiosity I found my accessport actually can read all the same checks as the diagnostic system at the inspection place can..... And those O2 sensors were still "not ready". Turns out (maybe just in this case) Cobb disables the rear O2 sensor when the system is installed, so in order for me to get my car to pass I have to drop to stage 0 and then uninstall my Accessport entirely.....

Growing pains man. Hopefully this fixes it. I saw a fusion thread in NYS saying this is how they fixed it, so here's hoping...

Try a spark plug nonfouler in the rear o2. Used to work in ye olde days. Fords need a lot of city + highway driving to clear all monitors.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I was going to say just uninstall the accessport, get emissions, then reinstall.

stage 0 is just a base tune, it’s not even the factory one. Soooo it won’t work. 

I just hope you odnt don’t have anything else on the car that interferes with the OEM tuning

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Try a spark plug nonfouler in the rear o2. Used to work in ye olde days. Fords need a lot of city + highway driving to clear all monitors.

I think what he is saying is the Cobb tune completely ignores the rearmost O2 sensor (the one that decides if the cat is working)

so in order to pass emissions tune has to be uninstalled from the car completely

and nothing has to interfere with OEM tune or he’ll have to put some stock parts back on before he goes back to the place that bans cars from the roadways

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I was going to say just uninstall the accessport, get emissions, then reinstall.

stage 0 is just a base tune, it’s not even the factory one. Soooo it won’t work. 

I just hope you odnt don’t have anything else on the car that interferes with the OEM tuning

It's got a COBB turbo-back exhaust, COBB intake and Depo Racing FMIC. Other than the accessport I haven't fiddled with it electronically.

Always assumed the stage 0 tune was the factory default.... That might be why it doesnt work.

I’m so happy we don’t have emissions here. Because my car with its Japan ecu would be illegal.... if has no readiness monitors whatsoever lol

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm not planning on running any electricity to it, but I might throw a solar panel on the roof and a battery inside just so I can run a few lights. I dont plan on using this as a shop at all. Just cold storage. 

Ours is mostly cold storage too, but it's nice to be able to see what youre doing sine we keep the snow plow out there and might work on some thing in there from time to time.

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I’m so happy we don’t have emissions here. Because my car with its Japan ecu would be illegal.... if has no readiness monitors whatsoever lol

Between the Window tint last year and the emissions this year, I'm really hating the DMV

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It's got a COBB turbo-back exhaust, COBB intake and Depo Racing FMIC. Other than the accessport I haven't fiddled with it electronically.

Always assumed the stage 0 tune was the factory default.... That might be why it doesnt work.

I don’t think the exhaust will mess you up. Besides possibly the cat but hopefully it doesnt. Everything else should be fine tho. 

If it on the stock tune you get a CEL for rear O2 sensor then get a O2 sensor non-fowler like @vetali said. Then you should be good.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Ours is mostly cold storage too, but it's nice to be able to see what youre doing sine we keep the snow plow out there and might work on some thing in there from time to time.

I know what you mean. I did the math and a 36Ah battery from amazon would power 9 12V RV lights for 6 hours. I figure that really should be good enough for being able so see where I put the chainsaw, or maybe changing the oil in the motorcycle from time to time. 

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

I know what you mean. I did the math and a 36Ah battery from amazon would power 9 12V RV lights for 6 hours. I figure that really should be good enough for being able so see where I put the chainsaw, or maybe changing the oil in the motorcycle from time to time. 

DIY. A generator from a car Alternator + weed eater or lawnmower or really any engine and an inverter?

Spoiler

DIY. A generator from a car Alternator + weed eater or lawnmower or really any engine and an inverter?

Seems like sticking a $100 Amazon solar panel on the roof would be a lot easier lol. 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Seems like sticking a $100 Amazon solar panel on the roof would be a lot easier lol. 

True but less fun haha

but solar is really better so long as it does what you need. No point in wasting gas when you can just use solar

Spoiler

True but less fun haha

but solar is really better so long as it does what you need. No point in wasting gas when you can just use solar

Yeah I wont need any high demand stuff, basically just to charge the battery I draw off of for lights. And maybe as a battery tender. I really dont need much current, and if it's cloudy a lot, it really should matter since my demand is so low. 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Yeah I wont need any high demand stuff, basically just to charge the battery I draw off of for lights. And maybe as a battery tender. I really dont need much current, and if it's cloudy a lot, it really should matter since my demand is so low. 

Can always add another panel too if you need to. $100 is relatively inexpensive. 

I do wish solar was cheaper though. Like $300/1000 watts would be amazing

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think what he is saying is the Cobb tune completely ignores the rearmost O2 sensor (the one that decides if the cat is working)

so in order to pass emissions tune has to be uninstalled from the car completely

and nothing has to interfere with OEM tune or he’ll have to put some stock parts back on before he goes back to the place that bans cars from the roadways

high flow cat will throw off the rear o2.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Can always add another panel too if you need to. $100 is relatively inexpensive. 

I do wish solar was cheaper though. Like $300/1000 watts would be amazing

Agreed. 

I actually looked at what it would take to run my house off of solar, it was a 27 year ROI. Yeah, no thanks.