Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

41 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I sure hope not. I really like Rams. If they try to poorly ripoff GM designs (that front grill just reminds me of circa 2005 chevys) then it will ruin their aesthetic. I sincerely hope that this is just a ploy to throw other companies off of their actual trail.

Yeah I'm not a fan, it's not that signature "miniature semi" look they've had for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

It's kinda hard to visualize the RAM with GM styling, mainly bc there isn't a center bar on the grille. I can't really see it. The GM grille is more trapezoidal, whereas the RAM one is more hexagonal.

If you look very closely at the top of the GM grill, there are some slight hexagonal qualities to it. To me it just looks like a modern take on circa 2005 GM aesthetics, with the addition of a RAMish hood.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

7 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

If you look very closely at the top of the GM grill, there are some slight hexagonal qualities to it. To me it just looks like a modern take on circa 2005 GM aesthetics, with the addition of a RAMish hood.

Really? The top looks quite straight to me, therefore more trapezoidal. But however you see it, it's still ugly. Really the Tundra is the only good looking truck on the market as of right now tbh.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Really? The top looks quite straight to me, therefore more trapezoidal. But however you see it, it's still ugly. Really the Tundra is the only good looking truck on the market as of right now tbh.

Assuming that all are debadged, my order of preference for aesthetics of 1/4 ton trucks (such a misnomer these days) is:

1. RAM
  2. Tundra
  3. GM
  4. Ford

13 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I know at one point my buddy who helped me with my ST was considering selling his Miata and was looking for a truck., Couldnt find the post on Facebook so maybe he's no longer considering/sold it, but there are buyers for almost everything!

Yeah I just have to make my own ad, I'm sure I'll get some takers.

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Assuming that all are debadged, my order of preference for aesthetics of 1/4 ton trucks (such a misnomer these days) is:

1. RAM
  2. Tundra
  3. GM
  4. Ford

For me its:

1. Tundra

2. Ford

3. Nissan

4. GM

5. RAM 

RAM trucks just seem very bland to me. I prefer somewhat bolder trucks, and the Tundra does it well for me, even if it's quite less technologically advanced than everything else.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

RAM trucks just seem very bland to me. I prefer somewhat bolder trucks, and the Tundra does it well for me, even if it's quite less technologically advanced than everything else.

Are you basing your opinions from in the drivers seat or from the spectators seat? I've sat in all the trucks this past year, and I prefer the RAMs from the drivers seat. I do also prefer them from an external viewpoint however.

8 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Are you basing your opinions from in the drivers seat or from the spectators seat? I've sat in all the trucks this past year, and I prefer the RAMs from the drivers seat. I do also prefer them from an external viewpoint however.

How do the newest models of Rams drive compared to earlier 201x models?

12 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

More of a spectator's seat, because well, I don't think I can be trusted in driving one. But I mean I quite like the Tundra, despite it lacking both a diesel option and some tech features of others, mainly because it's got the reliability Toyotas are known for, and they are very very good offroaders. Plus to me on the outside I  quite like them, since they look really beeefy, with its pumped fenders and high ground clearance and whatnot. I just wished double cabs had a long bed option, they're only stuck with short bed, oh and of course, a worthy diesel option.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How do the newest models of Rams drive compared to earlier 201x models?

I've only driven 2017 RAMS and my gen 2 (2005) Ram. 

In my personal opinion, all of the newer cars I've driven lack throttle response. My '05 has great throttle response, I feel extremely connected to the trucks drivetrain. All of the post 2010 vehicles I've driven feel like mush to me, atleast as far as the throttle pedal is concerned. Like, I'm so connected to my trucks drivetrain that I can will the automatic transmission to shift and it will do so immediately on my command. I have yet to feel that connection with any other vehicle.

The steering is much improved, especially the center detent. I feel much more connected to what the front tires are doing in the 2017's than I do in my 2005. 

The towing capacity of the newer trucks is much higher, but that comes at great cost; The 2017 1500s feel nearly as rough as older 2500s, but the newer trucks are also more capable offroad.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

More of a spectator's seat, because well, I don't think I can be trusted in driving one

Why can't you be trusted driving a pickup truck?

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I've only driven 2017 RAMS and my gen 2 (2005) Ram. 

In my personal opinion, all of the newer cars I've driven lack throttle response. My '05 has great throttle response, I feel extremely connected to the trucks drivetrain. All of the post 2010 vehicles I've driven feel like mush to me, atleast as far as the throttle pedal is concerned. Like, I'm so connected to my trucks drivetrain that I can will the automatic transmission to shift and it will do so immediately on my command. I have yet to feel that connection with any other vehicle.

The steering is much improved, especially the center detent. I feel much more connected to what the front tires are doing in the 2017's than I do in my 2005. 

The towing capacity of the newer trucks is much higher, but that comes at great cost; The 2017 1500s feel nearly as rough as older 2500s, but the newer trucks are also more capable offroad.

Why can't you be trusted driving a pickup truck?

OK I haven't driven one per se, but I don't feel like test driving one, and I don't have friends who have new pickups. Plus, being a licensed minor, that does not seem feasible.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I think the Rams are the best looking out of all the new pickups. 

IMG_2566.JPG

idk, I quite like my Tundras.

Toyota-Tundra-pickup-truuck-chicago-auto

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Too angry

Can't tow a boat either.

8 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

what?

I find there's a difference between a boat and a raft. Boats are big, and heavy.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I find there's a difference between a boat and a raft. Boats are big, and heavy.

Boats are kind of my thing, I am a competitive sailor after all. You'll need to be more specific.

6 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Boats are kind of my thing, I am a competitive sailor after all. You'll need to be more specific.

Minature yachts, not smaller fishing boats.

What do you sail competitively?

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What do you sail competitively?

Hobie 14's, Hobie 16's, and I crew on Lightnings. What you would call rafts I assume.

But I'm here to tell you, you've never worked harder to make a vehicle move in your life, and I have 22 flight hours.

36 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Can't tow a boat either.

It towed a freaking SPACE SHUTTLE

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

12 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

and a bunch of little people pulled an airplane.

momentum is a hell of a... thing

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

26 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Hobie 14's, Hobie 16's, and I crew on Lightnings. What you would call rafts I assume.

But I'm here to tell you, you've never worked harder to make a vehicle move in your life, and I have 22 flight hours.

I've actually been on a Hobie 16 a couple of times. Never been able to get in to serious boating though, even though I want to.

I just like larger boats, there's something about the atmosphere that makes being on a lake nicer.

Oh I believe you, what little boating experience I had tired me well the hell out.

12 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

A pinto could pull a space shuttle, moving something with wheels isn't the hardest thing in the world, believe it or not. But a Tundra towing something like what's below on a highway isn't really going to happen. It's not a safe vehicle to do so.

21232005_1745156289121723_118885535243052009_n.jpg.555731e8ba58c99e6e18416f2ab5b39b.jpg

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Still feel like I’d enjoy my Miata a lot more if I didn’t drive it everyday. 

Sigh

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

49 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Still feel like I’d enjoy my Miata a lot more if I didn’t drive it everyday. 

Sigh

V6 swap it .. then you will need a daily ...

and you will enjoy it 2x as much cause bigger engine and 2nd .. its not your daily ..

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO