Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Are you running just a regular 4L60?

Try it out as we'll see what happens!

On mine its a plug on the tailshaft. 

Gotta remeber its based of the TH350 from ages ago. 

No I'm running a 4l60e.

@vinyldash303 just do this... but be conservative with it xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hmm. 

Part of me is tempted just to get a 5.7 Vortec out of a late 90s Tahoe or Yukon because it would be a way easier swap into the S10 than an LS. I'd just need mounts, ecu, exhaust, and an efan. Shouldn't even nee to notch the crossmember. 

However it would be heavier than an LS, and 250 stock hp vs the 400 of an LS2. 

But it would be cheaper...

oh well at least another 25,000 miles to figure it out. 

But ya speed sensor is on tailshaft of mine as well, only ones that aren't are the ones made for a transfer case to attach.

well it honestly depends. I'm running a stock ecu with what is essentially a stroker kit (I have a HT383E). Pushing 465 lbft to the rear wheels and 385 hp. If I went an had some tuning done I could probably get more out easily.

Both will be good options and have about the same potential. I prefer the old small block though, i have soft spots for them lol

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vinyldash303 just do this... but be conservative with it xD

Lol love that video. Did you see the one they pushed a 300? Shot of nos through?

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Lol love that video. Did you see the one they pushed a 300? Shot of nos through?

Im not sure. I know I watched a good bit of them though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Problem is I refuse to run a carburator and there's no good way to do fuel upgrades to these engines, or no good place to strap a turbo.

To do fuel the right way, you need to run the marine intake manifold, and have it modified to run bigger injectors, and at that point you're doing light harness mods.

Annnnnd I want to spin the motor real fast. If I do the cheaper of the two options I'd only feel comfortable spinning it to 6k, but if I go with the LS it's going 7k+

Find an old SB2 and spin it for days! 9k all day!

There are tons of EFI intakes for SBC. I suggest looking at summit.

the factory intake on the vortecs are far from performances oriented lol.

IMG_3818.JPG

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You are correct, but I'd have it and the stock heads ported to the gasket, but I'm almost certain that the stock fuel lines will match up with the ones on the 5.7 Vortec.

As long as you get an intake with a vortec bolt pattern it shouldn't require any porting. Fuel lines are easy as the vortecs don't have rails so it would just be attaching a line to the rails from the line at the firewall.

Some before afters.

So far Ive deep cleaned the car.

Replaced clutch 
Shocks 
Springs 
Stereo 
Speakers 
Fixed HVAC 
Fixed AC 
Wheels and tires 

Im putting the car in storage in the next couple weeks 

Plan in spring is to Caldina 3SGTE swap the car. Replace the seats and some body work and then off to paint.

18699979_10211720220474267_5178662316786257998_n.jpg

18740643_10211720220274262_7944244140609871188_n.jpg

18765651_10211720220754274_4585919055678862698_n.jpg

18767709_10211720219994255_2289644717786746369_n.jpg

19105495_10211870897041087_1769642283714538941_n.jpg

20620800_10212407209048552_3938034329464144184_n.jpg

41 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Problem is I refuse to run a carburator 

Off the friends list you go 

Jk , you need to get yourself some proper european carburetors .

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

41 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Yeah. :x:x My only buddy on the coast has a 96 Yukon that is clapped out as hell with 220k of hard miles on it and even though I'm sure the cat is stuffed as fuck and it miiiight have a fucked exhaust manifold gasket, it does sound sooo lovely. Not an old smallblock, just a 5.7 vortec like I'm entertaining putting in my trucklet, but good heavens do they sound lovely.

Straight pipe that bitch.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

4 hours ago, techswede said:

Some winter car tips

https://imgur.com/gallery/xcqqW

H3InpUA.gif

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I keep telling him we need to take the cat out. 

If it came with a carb, hell yeah carbs. But I dont want to go backward in evolution. 

The Caddy grandad got at storage auction, i want to put a Holley 4 barrel on it. It came with a 4 barrel from the factory. 

375 horse an 475 pound feet of torque in 1 9 6 9. 

WHHHAAAAT. 0.0 

For real though on that F350 i want, its getting a high idle switch for cold mornings because when you have 20 quarts of oil and what, 38 quarts of coolant? You won't ever get heat in the cabin if you dont raise the RPMs up. 

Its cold idle is 800, high idle is 1200. Redline is 3500 IIRC on the For 6.0. 

Redline though? Nononono. 

The boiling water on the windshield though. That gave me a giggle

Might wanna run it at low idle for like 10 seconds to get the oil up in places ;)

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

If it came with a carb, hell yeah carbs. But I dont want to go backward in evolution. 

The Caddy grandad got at storage auction, i want to put a Holley 4 barrel on it. It came with a 4 barrel from the factory. 

WHHHAAAAT. 0.0 

For real though on that F350 i want, its getting a high idle switch for cold mornings because when you have 20 quarts of oil and what, 38 quarts of coolant? You won't ever get heat in the cabin if you dont raise the RPMs up. 

Well why backwards ?

If you go for power figures @ WOT then carbs are as good as fuel injection .

Id be glad to have a carbureted petrol than a turbo-diesel with the throttle response of a morbidly obese politician. 

But thats me ofc .. i like to fiddle with stuff

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

So a lil story of my echo...

Wanted to see what this little fuel efficient feather could do. So i found an open stretch of road, north of Mississauga(Where i live). The echo got up to 150KM/H. All of the sudden, PSHHHHHHHHHHH. I pulled over. Thought i blew one of my cheapo tires that the car came with... Got out checked, nothing. Nothing leaking, no smoke. under the hood was fine. Start the car back up, no noise. get onto the road, got up to about 40KM/H.... PSHHHHHH. Now im like what the hell. Thinking i killed the trani or something... Look underneath the car, the plastic underbody protector bolt had snapped. Once the wind caught the plastic, it was scraping the ground...

11 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

WHHHAAAAT. 0.0 

My dads got a 1969 firebird 400. Its a pretty sweet car. Was valued at 30k(CAD) Got the 400 on it with a holly 4 barrel with the electric choke.

Car runs nice, and is amazing at wasting gas.

Oh, and its bright yellow...

(Kinda like this, but with a black spoiler and a hood tac. Ill try to post pics later)

image.png.3daf78e79b73574517e21c0e0575c0c0.png

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Problem is I refuse to run a carburator and there's no good way to do fuel upgrades to these engines, or no good place to strap a turbo.

To do fuel the right way, you need to run the marine intake manifold, and have it modified to run bigger injectors, and at that point you're doing light harness mods.

Annnnnd I want to spin the motor real fast. If I do the cheaper of the two options I'd only feel comfortable spinning it to 6k, but if I go with the LS it's going 7k+

Supercharger? 

22 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

WHHHAAAAT. 0.0 

Those 4.3s sound mean af with a muffler delete tbh

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Didn't realise they were so expensive to run :( I kinda liked the look of this one tho, who else does?

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Of course. I may be over confident in a lot of things but i gladly idle my stuff over shutting it down any day of they week. Hell when I check stuff out of the college media center and I'm only running in for a few min i let the s10 idle in the parking spot. 

I'd take a 6.0 PSD over a gasser but no way in hell I'm getting rid of the s10 ever. 

I highly doubt that the diesel will have less throttle responce than the gas will but I have yet to drive a 6.0. I have driven a 6.4 though and it was pretty responsive. Not as responsive as the S10, but worlds better than say an 08+ GM tahoe with their god aweful drive by wire. 

If you ignore the potato video, you can hear how quickly it comes up to rpm. Kinda neat that he wired it into the parking lights. 

It won't cause provlems driving because the computer will ignore the high idle command with the parking brake off. 

I was speaking for the "euro-diesel" category ... engine that small has no power till boost comes thus crappy response.

Im just spoilt having worked on engines that operate in the 5 number range ... duh need to go from idle to redline in .5 seconds or its badly tuned :P

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

IMG_3818.JPG

To me it's kinda dumb you have to cut the exhaust out. But, sadly it's necessary.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I do. Get a warrenty tha will cover it in writing if you buy from a dealer. AFAIK uncles boss with one hasnt had issues with that. Probably something do with the tune hes running? He was running a tune right? With more boost?saw the video yesterday so i dont remember...

I don't think he was running more boost, I remember David saying that it was running somehting like 19-20 on a small turbo. Possibly a stock one as it is a Veloster Turbo lol.  Anyway look at these- image.png.20afa11e71229c8cdfee79fafbc83ba5.pngimage.thumb.png.be8ad21098084e2cbd1455b6a674eb31.png

That moment your Co worker says "turbo cars always have more power at the wheels then the crank. This co worker also said he did mechanics and went to school for it. Yo I'm dying xD

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

That moment your Co worker says "turbo cars always have more power at the wheels then the crank. This co worker also said he did mechanics and went to school for it. Yo I'm dying xD

sounds like one very confused (wo?)man.

Spoiler