Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

iirc what would happen is the connecting rod bolts would either come loose or break..

supposedly they updated them in late 2015. 

Well I know all the internals are different from the mazdaspeed3 engine so there's that. Good think they redesigned it. Though I think they had to due to not owning shares in Mazda anymore/possible patents.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Idk why found this funny

VgPPyU0_d.jpg

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Whats the curse of the 2.3L?

Always blowing holes in motors, being an unreliable shit. TBH it's kinda Mazda's fault because they originally had the motor, and they didn't do anything about the reliability until it was too late. Then ford took it and probably didn't do much other than maybe stronger rods?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Always blowing holes in motors, being an unreliable shit. TBH it's kinda Mazda's fault because they originally had the motor, and they didn't do anything about the reliability until it was too late. Then ford took it and probably didn't do much other than maybe stronger rods?

Everything in the Ford's motor is different. Think of it as the 2.0 in the ST with more displacement and a bigger turbo. The only thing that was designed similarly to the older 2.3 was the block everything else is different.

Who here hasn't driven above $1.00 (in mph) ?lol

I mean .... With some modern cars it can actually be easy to do on accident lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Not in a Honda fit or Civic (unless it's the type R or si) or a focus regular or my friend escape that thing is slooooooooooooow

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

my problem is idk exactly what ford did to the motor... id need to see them both side by side. 

Ford I know did a lot with the cylinder head.. especially on the exhaust side.. some of the exhaust manifold is actually contained within the head itself. Reason is for that twin-scroll turbo. 

But the bottom end.... really just don't know what they did.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I hit 110 in my car. You won't be doing it on accident, but its achievable in my car. Won't ever do it again on public roads. Too uneven and bumpy for those speeds. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

my problem is idk exactly what ford did to the motor... id need to see them both side by side. 

Ford I know did a lot with the cylinder head.. especially on the exhaust side.. some of the exhaust manifold is actually contained within the head itself. Reason is for that twin-scroll turbo. 

The CX-7 I worked on had fomoco casting all over it.

My car has Mazda motors casting all over my 2.0

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

I hit 110 in my car. You won't be doing it on accident, but its achievable in my car. Won't ever do it again on public roads. Too uneven and bumpy for those speeds. 

the miata with the JDM engine pulls nicely up to about 80... after that it quickly slows down. 

anything below 60 though is really fun... especially with the top down feels like you're doing 120 everywhere lol

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Just about nothing but displacement is the same as mazdaspeed3 2.3 MZR engine line. 

43 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Eh ignition cuts off at 100, if I am full throttle when I hit the cut off I can typically hit 109 from built up momentum lol.

the only "Downside" to the JDM ecu on the miata is it's limited to 112 mph. 

but i mean... i dont really need to go that fast do I? 

A trackday might be a problem... but by the time I can afford that I could afford a megasquirt lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I really want to find a drift track around here...

Find a local dirt track. Grab some housiers and go nuts lol. Closest thing to me is Kansas motor speedway. They do have drift comps there all the time though.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the only "Downside" to the JDM ecu on the miata is it's limited to 112 mph. 

but i mean... i dont really need to go that fast do I? 

A trackday might be a problem... but by the time I can afford that I could afford a megasquirt lol

At least you get to 112 lol I shift to third at 80 and have go go juice till a hundred. Don't even get to use 4th ?

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

At least you get to 112 lol I shift to third at 80 and have go go juice till a hundred. Don't even get to use 4th ?

yeah I don't get to use 6th I dont believe. though at 112 in 5th im at a really high rpm.

with the US ecu the fastest it will go is 126 mph i believe. I've done it once.... theres no limiter on the US ecu. But not enough power to overcome drag...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

you know some wide tires in the back wouldn''t be a bad idea for the dunes we have...

325 50s at 7psi and go for it!

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah I don't get to use 6th I dont believe. though at 112 in 5th im at a really high rpm.

with the US ecu the fastest it will go is 126 mph i believe. I've done it once.... theres no limiter on the US ecu. But not enough power to overcome drag...

Ya I'm at 100 in third at roughly 3.5K (6k limiter). I've got torque for days but have been to lazy to remove the limiter plus it voids the warranty on the long block. (GM)

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I already have a set of 14"s though xD

They're skinny as fuck however...

My 4x4 buddys keep telling me to air down to 10 psi, put some balast in the bed, and bring my recovery strap and we'll hit the dunes. However I haven't ever driven out there on sand and I don't want to knock the wheel off the bead doing doughnuts so... I'm timid to say the least.

I think I'll wait to go out there until my grandma gets a new car and they give me the GX470. I'll beat on that out there while I clean it up before I sell it. Need to figure out a way to mount that to the luggage rack. Probably gonna drill a hole in one of the cross bars, and shove the stud in there with and drown it in RTV.

That would be a run ride out there. Air springs and AC and heated seats. Still have to air down the tires though. Not nearly as much.

14 wides?!

I suppose you could get some cheap steelie bead locks for like 95 a piece. Honestly at 10-15 psi you should be good. Sliding sideways on the dirt with 7psi I haven't popped a bead yet. As long as you the tires spinning you shouldn't have an issue with debeading.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

pull the abs fuse and you can run it all the way out all the way. won't mess with the rev limiter but the speed governer won't work because it doesn't know how fast youre going.

Hmm I'll have to test that out. I might actually get to peg that 130 speedo finally. Problem is though gmt400s use the speed sensor on the tailshaft of the tranny.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Hmm I'll have to test that out. I might actually get to peg that 130 speedo finally.

keep in mind tires have speed ratings and most tires designed to fit onto trucks aren't designed for speeds over 110mph.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

The Speedo will probably quit working too. I haven't tried it myself but people on the s10 forum say that's how it works. The S10s also use the speedo on the tailshaft because they use the same ECUs (IIRC) and trannies as the GMT stuff :) 

Its handy because when you run the S10s on the quarter mile you'll hit the speed governer before you reach the end of the track. So pulling the ABS fues is supposed to not tell the computer how fast you're going so that you can make a better pass.

why is there no vehicle speed sender on the Transmission itself?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

keep in mind tires have speed ratings and most tires designed to fit onto trucks aren't designed for speeds over 110mph.

Nope but my Nitto 555rs are V rated ?

3 hours ago, NinJake said:

Haha, I only kept a shirt on because I wanted to cover the tattoo somehow as my artist said it will transfer my tattoo to the sheets/blankets otherwise. (maybe if i was able to sleep in one place all night it would be cool... would end up smearing everywhere i'd imagine with how i sleep from side to side throughout the night)

Sleep naked so your dick is always out for Harambe 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Reached 130 in the Saab and it was still pulling hard. Issue was I needed an alignment and my wheel was shaking like crazy. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

why is there no vehicle speed sender on the Transmission itself?

If it is a 4l60e the sensor is electronic.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The Speedo will probably quit working too. I haven't tried it myself but people on the s10 forum say that's how it works. The S10s also use the speedo on the tailshaft because they use the same ECUs (IIRC) and trannies as the GMT stuff :) 

Its handy because when you run the S10s on the quarter mile you'll hit the speed governer before you reach the end of the track. So pulling the ABS fues is supposed to not tell the computer how fast you're going so that you can make a better pass.

It shouldn't cut off the speedo as they are two separate circuits on those the full size pickups. Plus if you unplug the speed sensor in the tailshaft speedo goes by by and the ECM TCM sees 0.