Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

16 hours ago, terrytek said:

i'm really not into a big body car with a inline 6. I much prefer a big v8 for a big car, not an ls motor at all.

eh.... they have a 1JZ ready, why would they try to find a 1UZ? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

51 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

gas prices shot up about 9% here seemingly overnight. (about 20 cents)

I think 93 oct is around or a bit over $3/gal now. wonderful.

They are saying because of harvey we will have to switch over to the Winter fuel blend early as well here, because it's creating a shortage in the summer blend. Louisiana has already gotten a waiver from the EPA to switch over early.

Same here, GMA announced it this morning that theres already a 20cent increase and theres gouing to be another soon, iuts becasue 20% of our petroleum energy was shut down in texas... US GOV has avtaully started tapping into gas reserves to help alleviate some of this. 

NY Premium is now about $3/Gal, was $2.75 a week ago when I bought it

20170901_104507.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

then why are you saying that mcchickens in canada are much better?

Possibly because I bought one here and thought it tastes worse than the one I had in Canada..?

1 hour ago, Mister2010 said:

eh.... they have a 1JZ ready, why would they try to find a 1UZ? 

well because it just wouldn't be the same. it just wouldn't feel right with a 1jz

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Same here, GMA announced it this morning that theres already a 20cent increase and theres gouing to be another soon, iuts becasue 20% of our petroleum energy was shut down in texas... US GOV has avtaully started tapping into gas reserves to help alleviate some of this. 

NY Premium is now about $3/Gal, was $2.75 a week ago when I bought it

20170901_104507.png

Reason why I got a Costco membership 

Screenshot_20170901-141141.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Reason why I got a Costco membership 

-snip-

you put potato fuel in your Saab?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you put potato fuel in your Saab?

Si

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

15 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

So. Smashed a Prelude on the highway tonight. He rolled up on me, and kept taking off, then falling back, then taking off, and falling back.

Sooooo... One time I let him get two cars or so on me, and then I spooled it up. And absolutely demolished him. Put about 2 bus lengths on him before I shut it down. He made sure to take the next exit after that

Sorry guy, didn't want to shame you in front of your buddy in the car. But don't mess with a car with 100Hp and around 135Tq more in a straight line

Was surprised how hard I pulled on him due to his car being 550-650lbs lighter than my wagon stock

During my yesterday commute, there was a lady in a range rover that cut just feet in front of me. I flashed my high beams once, and got the middle finger in return. Quite an easily provoked person means entertainment for me. Off into the canyon pass we go.

The road is mostly one lane (each way) with a small section of passing lane on an uphill straightaway. I don't keep too close (in case of brake checking), but during the winding downhill, I cut in closer to the inside to keep in view of her mirrors. I'd imagine it's a bit like a "Breathing down your neck" feeling, without actually putting myself in jeopardy of brake checking.

On the way back up, I keep back a ways, leaving some room for passing. Toward the last turn before the lane opens up for passing, I drop to 2nd and floor the gas, so when the passing lanes open up, I'm already going faster than the Range Rover. I passed the lady before she even realized what was happening. She was... Less than pleased, judging by the high beams that were shining in my rear view. I simply waved back a "Hi" to conclude the trolling.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

21 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

During my yesterday commute, there was a lady in a range rover that cut just feet in front of me. I flashed my high beams once, and got the middle finger in return. Quite an easily provoked person means entertainment for me. Off into the canyon pass we go.

The road is mostly one lane (each way) with a small section of passing lane on an uphill straightaway. I don't keep too close (in case of brake checking), but during the winding downhill, I cut in closer to the inside to keep in view of her mirrors. I'd imagine it's a bit like a "Breathing down your neck" feeling, without actually putting myself in jeopardy of brake checking.

On the way back up, I keep back a ways, leaving some room for passing. Toward the last turn before the lane opens up for passing, I drop to 2nd and floor the gas, so when the passing lanes open up, I'm already going faster than the Range Rover. I passed the lady before she even realized what was happening. She was... Less than pleased, judging by the high beams that were shining in my rear view. I simply waved back a "Hi" to conclude the trolling.

See , i keep telling people the passing part is what diesels are for but noone believes me . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

12 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

See , i keep telling people the passing part is what diesels are for but noone believes me . 

high rpm passing is funner tho :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

high rpm passing is funner tho :P

I was thinking more in the lines of this :

I drop a gear and dissapear , for the end of the black sut is not near.

Fun fact both the laguna and megane dont smoke at all or very little.

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

2 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

I was thinking more in the lines of this :

I drop a gear and dissapear , for the end of the black sut is not near.

Fun fact both the laguna and megane dont smoke at all or very little.

both of those cars we don't have here in the US.

small diesels are so rare here. it's pretty much the jetta and that's it...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

both of those cars we don't have here in the US.

small diesels are so rare here. it's pretty much the jetta and that's it...

Wait no renault at all ?

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

4 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Wait no renault at all ?

no :(

I probably would own a renault here if they made them tbh. They seem to be good value.

but we have no peugeot, renault, skoda, citroen (excuse my spelling), probably some others... can't remember them all.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

no :(

I probably would own a renault here if they made them tbh. They seem to be good value.

but we have no peugeot, renault, skoda, citroen (excuse my spelling), probably some others... can't remember them all.

Škoda :D 

Value definetly .. but i think it wouldnt sell very well . I dont think inline-4 diesel sounds appealing for your average american driver / family ... 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

1 minute ago, ColonelThunder said:

Škoda :D 

Value definetly .. but i think it wouldnt sell very well . I dont think inline-4 diesel sounds appealing for your average american driver / family ... 

it really doesn't. You'd be surprised here people don't even know what diesel is other than "that weird fuel they sell at some gas stations"

lol

but really if someone made a good I-4 diesel that was easy to work on and was reliable, that is most likely what I would own right now. The fuel mileage is just too good. for a budget college student you'd have to be stupid to not have one really...

but instead I own a miata that takes high octane fuel only and tops out at 30 mpg lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

it really doesn't. You'd be surprised here people don't even know what diesel is other than "that weird fuel they sell at some gas stations"

lol

but really if someone made a good I-4 diesel that was easy to work on and was reliable, that is most likely what I would own right now. The fuel mileage is just too good. for a budget college student you'd have to be stupid to not have one really...

but instead I own a miata that takes high octane fuel only and tops out at 30 mpg lol

I mean , the Megane II which is what i have is what you would call the budget student option . You know , 105HP , manual , town is 35-40 MPG , open road 50-55MPG , comfy , and all that . 

But what i outlined .... reliabilty is a very tough concept when talking about them frenchies . Example , megane had one major fail , and that was the EGR valve hand granading in the middle of a drive and thats it . Now at 180k km and counting. Meanwhile my neibghours 1,9dci 2006 Megane had a diet of its own valves after just 90000km . 

Its just random ... probably QC issues . But i suppose just as any other brand , if you care for the car then there shouldnt be problems . 

Oh and due to all the tech for reducing sut and smoke , they are a pain in the ass to work with . Engine bays are extremely cramped .. but for the usual oil topoff or checkup its fine.

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

6 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

I mean , the Megane II which is what i have is what you would call the budget student option . You know , 105HP , manual , town is 35-40 MPG , open road 50-55MPG , comfy , and all that . 

But what i outlined .... reliabilty is a very tough concept when talking about them frenchies . Example , megane had one major fail , and that was the EGR valve hand granading in the middle of a drive and thats it . Now at 180k km and counting. Meanwhile my neibghours 1,9dci 2006 Megane had a diet of its own valves after just 90000km . 

Its just random ... probably QC issues . But i suppose just as any other brand , if you care for the car then there shouldnt be problems . 

Oh and due to all the tech for reducing sut and smoke , they are a pain in the ass to work with . Engine bays are extremely cramped .. but for the usual oil topoff or checkup its fine.

EGR valves are usually pretty simple to replace... at least it is on a miata(everything is easy on a miata except for the starter motor lol). Knowing that I would just replace mine every x miles knowing it will explode anyway.

They are usually on the intake side iirc, or even attached to the intake manifold itself.

but doesn't really matter for me if they don't have them here lol

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

EGR valves are usually pretty simple to replace... at least it is on a miata. Knowing that I would just replace mine every x miles knowing it will explode anyway.

They are usually on the intake side iirc, or even attached to the intake manifold itself.

For whatever reason , the one on the megane has a part that is cast into the exhaust manifold . So the whole thing with the turbo has to come out .

Maybe these come to the US :P

unutra.jpg.bcc0a08ccf21a04737e8dfa8eef4d685.jpg

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

1 hour ago, ColonelThunder said:

Does it matter if I'm already going twice the speed of my prey when the passing lane comes

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

well because it just wouldn't be the same. it just wouldn't feel right with a 1jz

idk ... call me weird, but i think V8s are overrated .... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, ColonelThunder said:

It gets funnier when you start to explain the reason: that sweet torque. They wonder what the heck that is. "But it's about horsepower right??"

Wi RoZ

4 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

idk ... call me weird, but i think V8s are overrated .... 

in the price/power and torque output        ratio, they really can't be beat.

They usually are pretty inefficient though.

and they sound nice!

Spoiler

Just now, Wi RoZ said:

It gets funnier when you start to explain the reason: that sweet torque. They wonder what the heck that is. "But it's about horsepower right??"

the VW 1.9 TDi is quite a nice little engine ... had so many fucking versions as well xD 

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

in the price/power and torque output        ratio, they really can't be beat.

They usually are pretty inefficient though.

and they sound nice!

i guess... 

well they usually are big and eat lots of fuel

uhhhh... dont really like the sound of V8 

2 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

the VW 1.9 TDi is quite a nice little engine ... had so many fucking versions as well xD 

i guess... 

well they usually are big and eat lots of fuel

uhhhh... dont really like the sound of V8 

V8 sounds vary a lot though. Different designs sound wildly different.

I love flat-plane crank noises though :)

Spoiler