Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@vetali before you give up hope so soon

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=530965

we will do this! Lol

open loop might explain why the car feels faster now lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali before you give up hope so soon

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=530965

we will do this! Lol

open loop might explain why the car feels faster now lol

Can you read any PIDs on the ECU? If so, check for vehicle speed to make sure it goes through a CAN from the IC. That thread is also for an NA... so there may be some differences. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Just now, vetali said:

Can you read any PIDs on the ECU? If so, check for vehicle speed to make sure it goes through a CAN from the IC. That thread is also for an NA... so there may be some differences. 

Yeah I'd have to compare what they are talking about over to the NB side of things

not sure how to read PID's on OBD fusion or dashcommand. I know I can do custom pid's but that's like stuff you type in

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah I'd have to compare what they are talking about over to the NB side of things

not sure how to read PID's on OBD fusion or dashcommand. I know I can do custom pid's but that's like stuff you type in

Well, personally I think the older NA just looked for a voltage signal from the TCM to verify it was there. The newer ones may use a CAN bus to do so. An easy way to verify is if there are different ECU part numbers between manual and automatics. If there is, then likely you will have to source another ECU. 

forscan let you read data before right? Might be able to use that

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

welp, guess i gotta keep job hunting. literally my job opportunity that I thought i had a good chance with literally fucking fell through. so there's that. still a jobless carless broke bitch like this fucking sucks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

14 minutes ago, vetali said:

Well, personally I think the older NA just looked for a voltage signal from the TCM to verify it was there. The newer ones may use a CAN bus to do so. An easy way to verify is if there are different ECU part numbers between manual and automatics. If there is, then likely you will have to source another ECU. 

forscan let you read data before right? Might be able to use that

You see there is two... it's still very unclear what the different ones are but here's the two I know I could use:

BP6D-18-881B (the one I have)

and

BP6D-18-881C

i betcha that C is the manual lol

again, like 0 information on the web about this. Google those part #'s and you'll find literally nothing.

Spoiler

so I finally got a nice in action shot of my car!  with a friend of mine apparently bored out of his mind texting or something in the passenger seat...

0A99AE92-DC27-46AA-A69E-ED95E97C59A1_zps

@bcredeur97 @vetali @vinyldash303 @chaozbandit @whoeverelseIhaven'tbeenhereinawhileandforgettingtheregulars

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

You see there is two... it's still very unclear what the different ones are but here's the two I know I could use:

B6D-18-881B (the one I have)

and

BP6D-18-881C

i betcha that C is the manual lol

again, like 0 information on the web about this. Google those part #'s and you'll find literally nothing.

This is for US. Does look like they are different. 

cf54fe2339.png

Did some more digging

a70515a3d8.png

thats a pretty typical CAN network. 

16cf8464c0.png

12 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

so I finally got a nice in action shot of my car!  with a friend of mine apparently bored out of his mind texting or something in the passenger seat...

0A99AE92-DC27-46AA-A69E-ED95E97C59A1_zps

@bcredeur97 @vetali @vinyldash303 @chaozbandit @whoeverelseIhaven'tbeenhereinawhileandforgettingtheregulars

What wheels? o: I like the pseudo SL stripe

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

assuming bottom one is my NB @vetali ? I was looking at pinouts and i saw 4Z and 4AC are used for the TCM 

I'm also gonna assume that if it is indeed a CAN network then this isn't gonna happen without getting another ECU

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

assuming bottom one is my NB @vetali ? I was looking at pinouts and i saw 4Z and 4AC are used for the TCM 

I'm also gonna assume that if it is indeed a CAN network then this isn't gonna happen without getting another ECU

they are both NBs. Considering the DTC pertains to a network issue, then most likely the ECU will not work. Even if your PID for VSS shows good, it may be getting that from the IC, and likely is considering you speedometer currently works. 

I am wearing shorts and considering whether or not to change into jeans as its windy out and I want to ride my bike to meet up with people. Plus the skies were darkening. But I need to wake up early tomorrow too, but I can pound out the half day 3 hours, but its gunna be intense because some shit went down and they wanna go 100% female and talk about feelings n shit. I can skate through it but its intense and draining. I usually day dream about Jeeps and Rubicons and shit.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

they are both NBs. Considering the DTC pertains to a network issue, then most likely the ECU will not work. Even if your PID for VSS shows good, it may be getting that from the IC, and likely is considering you speedometer currently works. 

which ECU will not work? What specific ECU's are you comparing up there? is it the BP6F and BP6H (auto and manual one respectively) you had pictured above?? ^^^

and yes the speedo currently works. The CEL does not work however (JPN has different cluster as I showed a while back). but everything else seems to work, including OBD which I guess was just my reader messing up because it still does it. I had to unplug/replug it in a few times today to get it working. guess it's on it's last legs (it's like $20 tho lol)

the VSS PID has to be good if I can read speed in dash command which will obtain vehicle speed from a PID. 

Spoiler

Sports cars are not practicle, one little speed bump and your out of the game. Whereas a Jeep can do that speed bump at 50 and not even spill your beers.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

which ECU will not work? What specific ECU's are you comparing up there? is it the BP6F and BP6H (auto and manual one respectively) you had pictured above?? ^^^

and yes the speedo currently works. The CEL does not work however (JPN has different cluster as I showed a while back). but everything else seems to work, including OBD which I guess was just my reader messing up because it still does it. I had to unplug/replug it in a few times today to get it working. guess it's on it's last legs (it's like $20 tho lol)

the VSS PID has to be good if I can read speed in dash command which will obtain vehicle speed from a PID. 

I'm looking at US diagrams. I have no idea where to source ones for japanese cars. 

VSS goes to the IC directly, with the TCM spliced into it. The PCM gets it from CAN.

2d2f56f9d8.png

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

I'm looking at US diagrams. I have no idea where to source ones for japanese cars. 

VSS goes to the IC directly, with the TCM spliced into it. The PCM gets it from CAN.

2d2f56f9d8.png

Well as far as I know the US and japan ECU's are extremely similar. Enough that I can plug one in and it just work...

but still doesnt help the auto vs Manual situation. Gosh I wish info wasn't so hard to find for this! 

If there was something I could do to fool it into thinking it has an auto with all the sensors working (and following their manual counterparts) then it would work. But it doesn't look like mine is a manual/auto differentiator like the old NA ECU's are so it won't be easy to "fool" it

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Well as far as I know the US and japan ECU's are extremely similar. Enough that I can plug one in and it just work...

but still doesnt help the auto vs Manual situation. Gosh I wish info wasn't so hard to find for this! 

If there was something I could do to fool it into thinking it has an auto with all the sensors working (and following their manual counterparts) then it would work. But it doesn't look like mine is a manual/auto differentiator like the old NA ECU's are so it won't be easy to "fool" it

It would be easier to fly to japan and find a manual ECU and fly back than emulate the CAN signal. 

You might be able to flash it with a manual ROM... doubtful, but maybe. Also would be difficult to find the files. 

CAN signals oh CAN signals

Do I know about CAN signals.

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

It would be easier to fly to japan and find a manual ECU and fly back than emulate the CAN signal. 

You might be able to flash it with a manual ROM... doubtful, but maybe. Also would be difficult to find the files. 

Figured haha.

i think it would be harder to find the manual rom than  it would be to find the other ECU. 

The problem is I don't know if the "C" model number of the other ecu that works is just another revision or if it's for a manual car as opposed to this one apparently being for an auto.

I already emailed my "friend" at Nippon auto in the U.K. btw about this. Asked if he knew or if he could help me figure this out. 

Im sure they would let me return the ecu (shipping would be expensive and i of course would have to desolder this one) but I'm sure we can work something out. Not worried... yet. Problem is if they have one or if they can even get one... if the other one is even for a manual car anyways

Spoiler

@vetali this is literally the most concrete evidence I can find that the "C" revision is for a manual car: https://picclick.com/Mazda-Miata-MX5-98-05-NB-Manual-Engine-Control-332141063639.html

some places even list the "B" revision that I have as for a manual though!!

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Figured haha.

i think it would be harder to find the manual rom than  it would be to find the other ECU. 

The problem is I don't know if the "C" model number of the other ecu that works is just another revision or if it's for a manual car as opposed to this one apparently being for an auto.

I already emailed my "friend" at Nippon auto in the U.K. btw about this. Asked if he knew or if he could help me figure this out. 

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/2002/Miata/REMANUFACTURED-ECU/1936121/BP6H18881R0K.html

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/2002/Miata/REMANUFACTURED-ECU/1936102/BP6F18881R0K.html

There is only one character difference on the US one... but so many revisions. I dunno if you could apply the same logic to JDM because of that. Your best bet is to find someone that sells this stuff, contact them and ask them if they could by any chance source one from a confirmed manual. Kinda like a japanese version of car-part.com

49 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

What wheels? o: I like the pseudo SL stripe

they're my sisters old winter wheels for her sti, its an MSW wheel, its OZ's econo brand.  they were around 100 buck a wheel, nothing special.  There were originally silver but I plastidip'd them black.  then I gave them to a friend of mine when I got the 17x10's and he added the red spoke, also with plastidip.  

here's what it looked like on his car

FullSizeRender.jpg.cadf4cecdbb8a7653696735bd2029410.jpg

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

@vetali figured it out. Look here.

zoom into the picture carefully. You'll see it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122527213116

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, yathis said:

Sports cars are not practicle, one little speed bump and your out of the game. Whereas a Jeep can do that speed bump at 50 and not even spill your beers.

HKuqSdx.gif

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali figured it out. Look here.

zoom into the picture carefully. You'll see it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122527213116

I don't see it, but I'm bad at these sort of things.