Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

seriously? ok, you see, now you definitely know that i have no experience with 4wd cars. i asked such a stupid question really, that shouldn't be asked if i had some knowledge. :/ 

and i thought it was a gear shifter like the transmission one, but smaller than the transmission shifter?

how can i not turn for shit in 4wd? don't you need to turn when you're offroading to get around rocks?

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

whats the difference between using it on pavement and using it off road though? 

Or is the fact of using it TOO MUCH the problem here? 

When you have a truck in 4WD you're sending power to all four wheels through a transfer case which in a roundabout way is supposed to lock the speed of the front and the rear axle. Because of that when you're turning one set of wheels is supposed to be moving quicker than the other, like the inner and outer wheel moving at different speeds but can because of a differential. The transfer case doesn't allow that so you're basically trying to drag half the truck but the friction isn't allowing it. All of that torque goes somewhere, you're either torquing the transfer case or dragging an axle, usually the transfer case.

The reason why it works off road is because you you don't have perfect traction. 4WD exists so you have at least one wheel that can get traction while the others free-spin. And while you're off-roading in 4WD, you can turn but your turning radius is much bigger, just like on pavement while 4WD is engaged, however you have wheels free to spin as they please and not fight against the transfer case.

@terrytek As for how you engage 4WD H/L it varies by vehicle. I have a knob on my dash because I have Electronic Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF) so I can just turn it as I please and it engages whichever mode I select.

181448d1357857206-2012-f150-4wd-eld-swit

However I know some vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler uses a notched lever like a shifter to change modes, and to prevent you from accidentally putting it in to 4WD while in motion.

118969-add1.jpg

6 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I would like a Miata instead because there seems to be more parts and help available for it, but hey for $700 I don't think it's that bad. The pictures aren't great so I'm not sure how good of a condition everything is in but I'm sure asking and going to look at it can't hurt.

Looking never hurts.

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Speaking of suburban. Pulled #2 spark plug today just to take a look at it(also I'm lazy and didn't want to pull all 8). 

It's right at ~50 or 60k miles, can't remember when the reman motor was put in (that has to be the last time they were "changed"). 

Those are doing pretty damn well.

@AlwaysFSX you live in texas right?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Last time I checked yes, don't think the state moved. Why do you ask?

why on earth is your main speedometer chart in KPH?

i mean unless your speedometer goes up to 200mph which I doubt lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

why on earth is your speedometer in KPH?

i mean unless your speedometer goes up to 200mph which I doubt lol

I googled a picture, lol. I'm too lazy to walk outside because I parked far and it's chilly. I also have a trailer brake controller but don't have the carbon fiber insert for the dash.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

He texted me earlier today. I said the same thing about them looking pretty good

I meant more for the 4WD stuff but 300ZX's are cool too. :P

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I googled a picture, lol. I'm too lazy to walk outside because I parked far and it's chilly. I also have a trailer brake controller but don't have the carbon fiber insert for the dash.

ohh lol. Normally when i see an un-professional picture here i think it's the user just snapping something quick with their phone lol (well except for @chaozbandit lol)

Spoiler

ohh lol. Normally when i see an un-professional picture here i think it's the user just snapping something quick with their phone lol (well except for @chaozbandit lol)

Aww, I'll have you know I take very high quality, garbage cell phone pictures. :P

I mean, is that not better quality than what I found? :D

20160806_190914.jpg

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Those are doing pretty damn well.

that said... that's great news. maybe this engine wont blow up 130k miles into it's life like the last one did. 

Also -- Jasper Engines. I think they make good quality remans (that cost a fortune as well), that's what ours is anyway. The original OEM one was consuming oil at this point already

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

xD 

My turn to not know what you're talking about.

When did we talk about 300ZX

Might be a 300SX. I don't know those very well.

@AlwaysFSX (quoting failed me) that's a really good picture lol ;)

Spoiler

guise i need about $6k xD

IMG_7297.JPG

Spoiler

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

sorry man, but if you are sure it's the main seal (make sure it's nothing from above leaking downwards) then you're gonna have to change it. A repair thing may slow the leak or stop it temporarily but with a leak that big you have to change it :/

This happened to my dad once with his G35. Sad times :(

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Go top -> down in your engine bay to verify where it's leaking from, usually with an oil leak you can't use a quick fix additive to stop it. That stuff just doesn't work.

Ok thanks for your advice, I'll see what I think up.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

DSC09170.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

42 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

You can't really compare an S2000 to a CRV.  One is made for lower income soccer moms and the other is an all out sports car.  S2000 is prolly one of the best handling cars in the world, if you take cost into account it easily takes the crown.  its not slow either, its had great top end.  not much torque but it has rev's and hp, one of those cars that accelerates faster than it feels...  but at your price range, you'd be looking at a pretty beat up example.

Yeeah. My parents CRV with a k24 is gutless compared to even an Accord with a k24. Serious de-tuning going on. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

9 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeeah. My parents CRV with a k24 is gutless compared to even an Accord with a k24. Serious de-tuning going on. 

my grandma's CRV will shift automatically before vtec engages LOL, you have to manually hold it in a gear to get to the vtec "section"

Did it once, will probably be the only time that car ever sees vtec, or any rpm above 3k really lol

in other words if you're building a race k24 and you need to only use the vtec cam, get a camshaft from a CRV, because odds are the big lobes have almost no wear xD

Spoiler

my grandma's CRV will shift automatically before vtec engages LOL, you have to manually hold it in a gear to get to the vtec "section"

Did it once, will probably be the only time that car ever sees vtec, or any rpm above 3k really lol

vtec starts at 3.7k in those. I know because the CRV I did a motor in had some issues with vtec solenoids after I finished it. Felt bad revving the shit outta a new motor, but at least it had a warranty lol. If those things have an issue with vtec it will cut fuel at 2.5k RPM. So pretty dangerous. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

55 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

When you have a truck in 4WD you're sending power to all four wheels through a transfer case which in a roundabout way is supposed to lock the speed of the front and the rear axle. Because of that when you're turning one set of wheels is supposed to be moving quicker than the other, like the inner and outer wheel moving at different speeds but can because of a differential. The transfer case doesn't allow that so you're basically trying to drag half the truck but the friction isn't allowing it. All of that torque goes somewhere, you're either torquing the transfer case or dragging an axle, usually the transfer case.

The reason why it works off road is because you you don't have perfect traction. 4WD exists so you have at least one wheel that can get traction while the others free-spin. And while you're off-roading in 4WD, you can turn but your turning radius is much bigger, just like on pavement while 4WD is engaged, however you have wheels free to spin as they please and not fight against the transfer case.

@terrytek As for how you engage 4WD H/L it varies by vehicle. I have a knob on my dash because I have Electronic Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF) so I can just turn it as I please and it engages whichever mode I select.

However I know some vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler uses a notched lever like a shifter to change modes, and to prevent you from accidentally putting it in to 4WD while in motion.

Looking never hurts.

i mean, don't those knobs for engaging 4wd so you don't accidentally engage the low ratios? because i know on the toyotas with knobs for the transfer case you have to push in order to activate 4L.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

vtec starts at 3.7k in those. I know because the CRV I did a motor in had some issues with vtec solenoids after I finished it. Felt bad revving the shit outta a new motor, but at least it had a warranty lol. If those things have an issue with vtec it will cut fuel at 2.5k RPM. So pretty dangerous. 

idk man... didn't audibly hear the difference until 5k rpm or so...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

idk man... didn't audibly hear the difference until 5k rpm or so...

VTEC starts at 3.5K in my MDX, noticeable change in the engine note

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Any suggestions on what spark plugs to go with for the Saab? Want to get some nicer aftermarket ones. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB