Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

VTEC starts at 3.5K in my MDX, noticeable change in the engine note

notice when it shifts into second gear and crosses 5k rpm:

(also maybe it revs higher when TC is off? weird couldn't get ours to rev that high without guiding it manually lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

notice when it shifts into second gear and crosses 5k rpm:

(also maybe it revs higher when TC is off? weird couldn't get ours to rev that high without guiding it manually lol)

Mine's an 04; usually drive it with VSC off because the throttle response feels slightly better.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

idk man... didn't audibly hear the difference until 5k rpm or so...

Cam advancement happens earlier, remember its i-vtec so it has lift and advancement rather than just lift in previous vtec designs. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Just now, vetali said:

Cam advancement happens earlier, remember its i-vtec so it has lift and advancement rather than just lift in previous vtec designs. 

i was speaking of the "lift" part of the equation. 

advancement doesn't do as much...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Mine's an 04; usually drive it with VSC off because the throttle response feels slightly better.

my miata has no driver aids, apart from ABS, it's great lol

and also a cable throtte. throttle response is as good as it can be, honestly the most responsive out of all the cars I've driven...

my corolla had no driver aids whatsoever. And honestly ever since i got ABS, i still don't think I need it all that much.. im usually pretty good at getting close to lockup without crossing into it

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i was speaking of the "lift" part of the equation. 

advancement doesn't do as much...

No, because its limited to 30 degrees compared to 50 degrees in higher performance models (iirc, I honestly might be mixing up Mazda stuff at this point rofl but the advancement is more regardless) 

Lift is different on higher performance stuff too. The cams are different. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

22 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean, don't those knobs for engaging 4wd so you don't accidentally engage the low ratios? because i know on the toyotas with knobs for the transfer case you have to push in order to activate 4L.

Putting it in high or low ratio doesn't matter, it's the fact that it's in 4WD that's the problem.

41 minutes ago, vetali said:

vtec starts at 3.7k in those. I know because the CRV I did a motor in had some issues with vtec solenoids after I finished it. Felt bad revving the shit outta a new motor, but at least it had a warranty lol. If those things have an issue with vtec it will cut fuel at 2.5k RPM. So pretty dangerous. 

27 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

VTEC starts at 3.5K in my MDX, noticeable change in the engine note

the Accord hits VTEC at 5k. I kinda wish it was sooner... :/

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

BMW's are surprisingly reasonable on maintenance if you do the work yourself.  Pelicanparts.com have very comprehensive DIY's on any kinda maintenance you'd need to do.  Now if you're mechanically illiterate (like Jeremy Clarkson), BMW shops typically charge out the ass for labor.  But honestly if you were capable of putting the chain back on your bike when you were a kid, you should be able to do basic maintenance.

at the 5-10k price range I'd be looking at an E46 or a Miata or an Integra (I'd try to find one with a K swap :D).  Since this is an only car, I'd go for the E46 or Integra since I don't like convertibles.

You can't really compare an S2000 to a CRV.  One is made for lower income soccer moms and the other is an all out sports car.  S2000 is prolly one of the best handling cars in the world, if you take cost into account it easily takes the crown.  its not slow either, its had great top end.  not much torque but it has rev's and hp, one of those cars that accelerates faster than it feels...  but at your price range, you'd be looking at a pretty beat up example.

Edit:

if you go the BMW route, I'd suggest to check out the pelicanparts maintenance page for the exact model you're looking at, that way you'll have a good idea of what to look for when looking at a car.

I've been looking at various E46s, not sure how my dad will fair with that though. He considers BMW a luxury make so getting a cheap BMW probably won't sit with him well. I am pretty mechanically inclined though, as long as I'm not replacing any head gaskets or clutches I pretty much know the rest. Even then I'm sure I can figure it out.

14 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Putting it in high or low ratio doesn't matter, it's the fact that it's in 4WD that's the problem.

so is there actually a 4wd system that you can use on both pavement as well as off road without much of an issue? or is it just not possible?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

the Accord hits VTEC at 5k. I kinda wish it was sooner... :/

Thats pretty high for a v6. I've yet to drive a manual v6 accord, but the k24s I've driven in manual are very fun. 

Just now, vetali said:

Thats pretty high for a v6. I've yet to drive a manual v6 accord, but the k24s I've driven in manual are very fun. 

yeah. for a V6 it's pretty rev-happy. it actually revs higher than the K24. (6800 redline)

I honestly love it. good power from the V6, it's nimble enough, good steering feel (at least compared to a truck or minivan) and a nice quiet ride.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so is there actually a 4wd system that you can use on both pavement as well as off road without much of an issue? or is it just not possible?

No, and you can use it on pavement, you'll just destroy your transfer case.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

If I wind up with an express van I will for sure be getting it converted to cable throttle. 

It's nice isn't it? Nothing but abs. And I like having abs. No silly traction control to get in the way. 

Early 2000s were awesome. Just the right amount of computers in cars. 

i love my protege. it's got the right amount of tech in the right spots (cruise control, 6cd changer, moonroof) and none of those extra aids (TCS, stability control, hell abs isn't installed, even though it was optional). makes a sub 15 grand (equivalent to 20 grand today) car that much more fun. and it's surprising how much my dad got for the money.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

If I wind up with an express van I will for sure be getting it converted to cable throttle. 

It's nice isn't it? Nothing but abs. And I like having abs. No silly traction control to get in the way. 

Early 2000s were awesome. Just the right amount of computers in cars. 

the Accord has traction/stability control, but it all goes off with a click of a button. Honda really did it right with that.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I wish I had a disk changer. 

And I'm glad I have ABS. Its saved me a few times from smushing into something.

3 times its saved me so far, only one of which was my fault.

Its great in bigger vehicles, normally.

My car, I've only hit ABS a few times and holy shit it stops fast. Just recently I was driving around with a friend and going like, very much over the speed limit on some back roads and random deer outta nowhere comes up. I just lock them up in a panic stop because I was sure I was gonna at least clip it. Stopped way sooner than I thought I would've. 

One other time was somebody running out in an intersection with black clothing on at night in the rain. Totally didn't see them and locked up. Actually stalled because that was my first ever panic stop in a manual. 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its crazy how fast the s10 stopps. I mean, I really don't have anything to compare it too. Still need to do the braking Gs test with the EBC pads.

Also haven't gotten the braided lines on it yet. Been hekin busy every weekend after they arrived. :/ 

And next weekend I'm out to sushi and then need to change the oil. miiiiiiiiight get them installed then. have to see.

My blazer had OK brakes, but it always locked the rears up despite having ABS.

Durango had SHIT tier brakes. Without hauling anything its scary. Put a load on it and you are a death trap. Fades pretty much to nothing going to a generous stop from highway speeds. Rotors warp constantly. Common theme with Chysler trucks from what I see. 

Though thats just normal driving, where every single stock car and truck should do well. First time hitting 100mph and trying to brake down to normal speeds was really eye opening to me lol. Totally doing brakes first if I ever have a project car. 

41 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I wish I had a disk changer. 

And I'm glad I have ABS. Its saved me a few times from smushing into something.

3 times its saved me so far, only one of which was my fault.

i mean tbh i kinda don't use the disc changer, unless you get me a cd of artists like schoolboy q or travis scott or kid cudi or the like. i'll most likely just retrofit aux into the stereo, either that, or just overhaul the sound system and upgrade the speakers and get a sub along.

and i don't think i've witnessed an event where we had to brake hard to the point the abs light comes on.

15 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its great in bigger vehicles, normally.

My car, I've only hit ABS a few times and holy shit it stops fast. Just recently I was driving around with a friend and going like, very much over the speed limit on some back roads and random deer outta nowhere comes up. I just lock them up in a panic stop because I was sure I was gonna at least clip it. Stopped way sooner than I thought I would've. 

One other time was somebody running out in an intersection with black clothing on at night in the rain. Totally didn't see them and locked up. Actually stalled because that was my first ever panic stop in a manual. 

the brakes on our rental nissan versa note are shit. like there are times where you think the brakes aren't enough to stop in a short distance. it's kinda scary, especially in such a small car.

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

My blazer had OK brakes, but it always locked the rears up despite having ABS.

Durango had SHIT tier brakes. Without hauling anything its scary. Put a load on it and you are a death trap. Fades pretty much to nothing going to a generous stop from highway speeds. Rotors warp constantly. Common theme with Chysler trucks from what I see. 

Though thats just normal driving, where every single stock car and truck should do well. First time hitting 100mph and trying to brake down to normal speeds was really eye opening to me lol. Totally doing brakes first if I ever have a project car. 

the brakes on the van are shit or not shit, depending on who's driving the car. if it's my mom, i'll start freaking out when she brakes because she's probably not using the brakes to the full potential, but i feel way more comfortable with my dad behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its crazy how fast the s10 stopps. I mean, I really don't have anything to compare it too. Still need to do the braking Gs test with the EBC pads.

Also haven't gotten the braided lines on it yet. Been hekin busy every weekend after they arrived. :/ 

And next weekend I'm out to sushi and then need to change the oil. miiiiiiiiight get them installed then. have to see.

I don't like going on the brakes really hard because my nose dips hard.

lol that moment when your casually playing CS:go and you get a random drop that's actually worth money... $8 in the steam account now, thank you very much lol

stuff is worthless to me...but whatever to each his own lol

Spoiler

IMG_0878.JPG

Speaking of brakes, forgot to post this autozone crap I put on some guys 2010 Corolla S (oh yeah, the S trim gives you drum brakes in the rear, meanwhile my Mazda gives 4 wheel disc in the base model... hmm)

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

At some point I'm gonna do a video of the front suspension just like I did on the rear. It will be interesting to see how far the nose dips from a different perspective than the drivers seat.

Yeah I'd be interested in knowing for myself but my guesstimation of 1.5 feet will suffice for me.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol that moment when your casually playing CS:go and you get a random drop that's actually worth money... $8 in the steam account now, thank you very much lol

stuff is worthless to me...but whatever to each his own lol

I made a whole $0.60 earlier selling useless steam cards. I just don't care for them.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Speaking of brakes, forgot to post this autozone crap I put on some guys 2010 Corolla S (oh yeah, the S trim gives you drum brakes in the rear, meanwhile my Mazda gives 4 wheel disc in the base model... hmm)

But black brakes scream performance.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Are those rotors any good? they look hekin cool right after they're installed though. I wish Autozone brake rotors were the right bolt pattern for the S10. Damn 5x120.65 bolt pattern being off by .65mm 

No, I literally had to ride them for a 1/4 mile to get them to wear in and stop making terrible noises. By then the paint was gone. 

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

No, I literally had to ride them for a 1/4 mile to get them to wear in and stop making terrible noises. By then the paint was gone. 

Laaaaame