Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

You okay with a FWD car?

I suppose so. I'd really like AWD the most or maybe RWD but tbh it's just gonna be my daily, so it's not too bad if it's FWD.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

I suppose so. I'd really like AWD the most or maybe RWD but tbh it's just gonna be my daily, so it's not too bad if it's FWD.

If you can find one a 4th or preferably 5th generation Honda Prelude can actually be a great option

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

If you can find one a 4th or preferably 5th generation Honda Prelude can actually be a great option

Yeah but those are really hard to find, especially ones that haven't been riced to hell and back. If I do get something FWD it'd be a MK4 Jetta or Golf GTI.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Celica GT4 mayhaps? 

ST165s might be in your price range. Possibly even the ST185's

The ST205s might be outside your price range though. They hold their value insanely well

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah but those are really hard to find, especially ones that haven't been riced to hell and back. If I do get something FWD it'd be a MK4 Jetta or Golf GTI.

If you come across one it's really worth it. I almost bought a 5th Gen this year, but we couldn't get a meet time down, my old roommate had a 4th Gen, and a good friend of mine had a 5th Gen that he loved. Cobalt SS is also a really good option, or maybe an aero model Saab?

My good friend that had a BB6 (5th Gen) misses it so dearly, he's bought 3 cars since he sold it but none have been as fun to him (1990 Firebird, 1989 Mustang 5.0, and a 2007 Cobalt SS)

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

48 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

what about a mazdaspeed 3/6? those are relatively inexpensive, have about 260hp stock, are well equipped for the money, and the 6 is available in 4wd if you like, though it's fwd biased. and plus, the neat thing is that they're exclusively manual; no wimpy automatics here.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

man it seems like people can't seem to WALK  late at night without doing something completely stupid. i witnessed a guy coming 4 inches from death after he nearly got hit by a moving car going about 40. i swear, people act much more stupid at night.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Available in AWD. Not 4wd. 

As as cool as that would be. 

damn it, i always confuse the two. but i always interchange the two because i thought they meant essentially the same thing.

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

damn it, i always confuse the two. but i always interchange the two because i thought they meant essentially the same thing.

AWD uses a differential and works on dry pavement, 4WD uses a transfer case and will fuck your shit up if you use it on dry pavement.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

AWD uses a differential and works on dry pavement, 4WD uses a transfer case and will fuck your shit up if you use it on dry pavement.

how bad will you fuck your shit up if you use 4wd on dry pavement? like let's say you forgot to put it back into 2wd and leave it in 4 high or 4 low. what happens?

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

how bad will you fuck your shit up if you use 4wd on dry pavement? like let's say you forgot to put it back into 2wd and leave it in 4 high or 4 low. what happens?

I tried it once to see what happens, and the amount of metal groaning is scary. You'll basically grenade the transfer case.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its really hard on the transfer case. I've clicked it into 4wd on dry pavement briefly just to see what it would do in my Grandma's 4runner. Its not gonna kill it immediately but its really freaking hard on it IIRC. @AlwaysFSX wanna weigh in on this because I don't know the specifics either. I just knew it was hard on shit, and you're not supposed to.

yeah maybe i should stay away from 4wd for a while since more than likely after a session of offroading i'll forget to put it in 2wd and will eventually kill the case, since i've never driven a 4wd car, and i'm probably gonna not remember after a session of offroading to put it back in 2wd for the ride home.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

yeah maybe i should stay away from 4wd for a while since more than likely after a session of offroading i'll forget to put it in 2wd and will eventually kill the case, since i've never driven a 4wd car, and i'm probably gonna not remember after a session of offroading to put it back in 2wd for the ride home.

Oh you'll know if you leave it in 4WD, you can't turn for shit and you'll hear the torque messing with the transfer case.

Just now, theninja35 said:

He says the transmission and engine will be included, but the transmission is broken. The wheels will also be included.

It would become a family project, anyway, so I would eventually be fixing that up.

It's not bad for the money if you're willing to spend the money to get it running and like 300ZX's. Just make sure the body is straight and not rusting.

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

No you won't. Its usually really obvious. Its noticeably less quick and makes a lot of noise.

Not to mention the lights on your dash. 

And in the 4 runner the switch to put it in 4wd or 4Lo is a big knob on the dash.

seriously? ok, you see, now you definitely know that i have no experience with 4wd cars. i asked such a stupid question really, that shouldn't be asked if i had some knowledge. :/ 

and i thought it was a gear shifter like the transmission one, but smaller than the transmission shifter?

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh you'll know if you leave it in 4WD, you can't turn for shit and you'll hear the torque messing with the transfer case.

how can i not turn for shit in 4wd? don't you need to turn when you're offroading to get around rocks?

@MEC-777 vids from my transit stages in Bancroft (and I needed an excuse to warm up in the car cause I'm pretty sure I was on the verge of hypothermia out on the stages)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I tried it once to see what happens, and the amount of metal groaning is scary. You'll basically grenade the transfer case.

whats the difference between using it on pavement and using it off road though? 

Or is the fact of using it TOO MUCH the problem here? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It doesn't seem that bad in the Tundra.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

seriously? ok, you see, now you definitely know that i have no experience with 4wd cars. i asked such a stupid question really, that shouldn't be asked if i had some knowledge. :/ 

and i thought it was a gear shifter like the transmission one, but smaller than the transmission shifter?

how can i not turn for shit in 4wd? don't you need to turn when you're offroading to get around rocks?

you can still turn, the steering is just a lot heavier, and turning radius is decreased.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Okay, FINALLY getting a car this Saturday. Even took work off for the day so I could go with my dad to look at cars (and I think the whole process takes a few hours as well so...)

I have like $2,700 saved up but my dad says he wants me to have a good running car so he is going to help me out with the financing. I just don't really know what car I want, and my dad is asking me as well.

I would love a WRX but that price is out of the question, even if it is my favorite car. The only WRX I'll be finding is salvage title ones with tons of miles on CL.

I was thinking of a Miata since they're relatively abundant, especially ones that have manual transmissions. But I can't really think of anything else that I want. Maybe a 3-series but they get expensive to maintain after a while, not really any with low miles either. I couldn't really find any other Subarus like the Legacy or anything either.

Any ideas? I guess my buying range is anywhere from $5K to $10K. Probably best to keep the price low though. The only thing I REALLY want is a manual transmission. Other than that I don't really care as long as it's not a Civic or something. I'll probably be getting it from a dealership if anything.

BMW's are surprisingly reasonable on maintenance if you do the work yourself.  Pelicanparts.com have very comprehensive DIY's on any kinda maintenance you'd need to do.  Now if you're mechanically illiterate (like Jeremy Clarkson), BMW shops typically charge out the ass for labor.  But honestly if you were capable of putting the chain back on your bike when you were a kid, you should be able to do basic maintenance.

at the 5-10k price range I'd be looking at an E46 or a Miata or an Integra (I'd try to find one with a K swap :D).  Since this is an only car, I'd go for the E46 or Integra since I don't like convertibles.

4 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Ew I don't like the Z3 at all. The S2000 is pretty nice but I don't have that many good experiences with Hondas (the CRV we used to have was pretty poopy and underpowered).

The car doesn't necessarily have to be a coupe or convertible, just a regular car.

You can't really compare an S2000 to a CRV.  One is made for lower income soccer moms and the other is an all out sports car.  S2000 is prolly one of the best handling cars in the world, if you take cost into account it easily takes the crown.  its not slow either, its had great top end.  not much torque but it has rev's and hp, one of those cars that accelerates faster than it feels...  but at your price range, you'd be looking at a pretty beat up example.

Edit:

if you go the BMW route, I'd suggest to check out the pelicanparts maintenance page for the exact model you're looking at, that way you'll have a good idea of what to look for when looking at a car.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

whats the difference between using it on pavement and using it off road though? 

Or is the fact of using it TOO MUCH the problem here? 

it's because of the increased friction on pavement puts more strain on the transfer case because it wants the from and back wheels to spin at a constant speed relative to each other.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

1) No such thing as a stupid question -within reason- and its no fault of your own. Just like the big diesels,, you just haven't spent time with them.

2) Sometimes it is, especially in older stuff, but its largely become electric switches just like newer automatic shifters.

3) its going to bind because there's power being sent to the front axle. Kind of like torque steer. 

but how bad is this "torque steer"? is it essentially like fwd cars, where it's there, but it's not that noticeable, or is it like jarring, like it feels like something is all out of whack?

Just now, terrytek said:

but how bad is this "torque steer"? is it essentially like fwd cars, where it's there, but it's not that noticeable, or is it like jarring, like it feels like something is all out of whack?

it's really bad in our suburban. I've only tried it out like twice, but yeah it makes it hard to turn... steering gets super heavy (and im sure it's not good for the power steering pump either)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Speaking of suburban. Pulled #2 spark plug today just to take a look at it(also I'm lazy and didn't want to pull all 8). 

It's right at ~50 or 60k miles, can't remember when the reman motor was put in (that has to be the last time they were "changed"). 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Spoiler