Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

what's that for a car will.i.am arrives in? I have no clue where to start to search, never seen sth. like this before

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

what's that for a car will.i.am arrives in? I have no clue where to start to search, never seen sth. like this before

It *was* a Tesla IIRC

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

4 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Bad example

Yeah I know xD

But the turbos IMHO muffle the sound a little bit.

(yet another bad example)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

It *was* a Tesla IIRC

why was? did tesla build will.i.am his own vehicle?

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

7 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

It *was* a Tesla IIRC

http://mashable.com/2016/08/30/will-i-am-tesla-model-s/#KYyg4gHr.5q1 ok found what you meant. thanks for the hint :)

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

47 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Nope. Exhaust note is better, IMO. I love hearing the turbine sound. ;)

Choppy wind.

16 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Bad example. Even I agree, the Huayra doesn't sound particularly good. There are plenty of other turbo'd engines/cars that do sound awesome and the new Hoonicorn is one of them, IMO. ;)

That subtle wirrr of the turbines at idle and then the screaming woooiiiiiisssssssss from the compressor when the boost comes on, backed by the lovely note played by the V8 engine behind it... mmmmmm, so good! :D For me, it's not just the sound that I love, but what is going on to create that sound, that makes it so appealing to me. 

-snip-

if you can hear the engine, im fine with it... what i can't stand is "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" with no engine noise whatsoever lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Well the 944 was by far the fastest.

They're also incredibly reliable, I know someone with a 165,000 mile Turbo thats been looked after well and runs just like new. 

The 944 turbo is a car i need to get at one point. I have driven one with the later K26-8 turbo and it was one of the nicest cars i've ever driven

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

if you can hear the engine, im fine with it... what i can't stand is "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" with no engine noise whatsoever lol

I'd rather have this than the awful "Sututututu" wastegates 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

The 944 turbo is a car i need to get at one point. I have driven one with the later K26-8 turbo and it was one of the nicest cars i've ever drive

-snip-

the flutter noise doesn't bother me, as long as it's not too excessive. Like I said, I don't mind the mix of cool noises, I just want to hear the engine behind them...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

the flutter noise doesn't bother me, as long as it's not too excessive. Like I said, I don't mind the mix of cool noises, I just want to hear the engine behind them...

I like the surge of a recirculating system just hanging out in the background. (Mostly because i grew up with turbo diesels i guess) 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

19 minutes ago, techswede said:

The 944 turbo is a car i need to get at one point. I have driven one with the later K26-8 turbo and it was one of the nicest cars i've ever driven

Yeah, a 944 may well be my first Porsche depending on how the next few years go and hopefully one day ill have a 911 of sorts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

10 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah, a 944 may well be my first Porsche depending on how the next few years go and hopefully one day ill have a 911 of sorts :P

The 944 may be my first Porsche as well. Unless i find a 912 in a barn somewhere

The sound of my childhood

It is swapped with something else than the TD25 but eh. Sounds exactly the same

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Yeah I know xD

But the turbos IMHO muffle the sound a little bit.

Turbos do muffle a bit, but louder does not always sound better. ;) Also, the sounds added by the turbo more than makes up for the loss of sheer volume, IMO. 

48 minutes ago, techswede said:

The "Sututututu" fluttering sound is actually not the waste gates. It is the sound of compressor surge and is actually very bad. If you hear that, it means the blow-off for that turbo system was not setup properly. Compressor surge is pressure waves in the intake piping when the throttle is slammed closed, traveling backwards through the compressor wheel of the turbo and is a great way to shorten the life span of the turbo. It slows the turboshaft which creates more lag and plays havock on the turboshaft bearings and seals. I cringe every time I hear turbo flutter. lol. I cringe even more when people say "oh that sounds so awesome" when they hear it. :P

What you should hear is just a clean "psssh" as all the pressure is efficiently relieved when you let off the throttle and no air travels back through the system. There should be no flutter. ;) I'm not a big fan of those blow-off valves with unique sounds either (HKS etc.). It just needs to vent the pressure quickly and efficiently. What it sounds like is irrelevant. Clean venting BOVs sound much better IMO anyways. 

You can't actually hear the wastegates in most turbo setups, unless it has an external dump. In which case, the exhaust note simply gets louder as more exhaust bypasses the turbine as the wastegate opens up. 

Example of a proper operating BOV.

(PS, Exhaust on that car sounds horrible :S )

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

14 minutes ago, techswede said:

The 944 may be my first Porsche as well. Unless i find a 912 in a barn somewhere

If I get a decent job I could have a 987 or even a 996 before i'm 23. But a 944 is my current goal

Speaking of turbos... Check out this T56 Torpedo Boat. 3x giant twin-turbo diesels producing a combined ~5000hp. This things sounds absolutely incredible! Especially when it really spools up at around the 3:00 mark. :o Holy moly... (start up at around 1:10 is pretty cool too :))

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

13 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Turbos do muffle a bit, but louder does not always sound better. ;) Also, the sounds added by the turbo more than makes up for the loss of sheer volume, IMO. 

The "Sututututu" fluttering sound is actually not the waste gates. It is the sound of compressor surge and is actually very bad. If you hear that, it means the blow-off for that turbo system was not setup properly. Compressor surge is pressure waves in the intake piping when the throttle is slammed closed, traveling backwards through the compressor wheel of the turbo and is a great way to shorten the life span of the turbo. It slows the turboshaft which creates more lag and plays havock on the turboshaft bearings and seals. I cringe every time I hear turbo flutter. lol. I cringe even more when people say "oh that sounds so awesome" when they hear it. :P

What you should hear is just a clean "psssh" as all the pressure is efficiently relieved when you let off the throttle and no air travels back through the system. There should be no flutter. ;) I'm not a big fan of those blow-off valves with unique sounds either (HKS etc.). It just needs to vent the pressure quickly and efficiently. What it sounds like is irrelevant. Clean venting BOVs sound much better IMO anyways. 

You can't actually hear the wastegates in most turbo setups, unless it has an external dump. In which case, the exhaust note simply gets louder as more exhaust bypasses the turbine as the wastegate opens up. 

The "GO FAST BRETT" series of videos are actually quite cool and really informative;) 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

21 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I know. Just used a term most people would get.  

20 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

If I get a decent job I could have a 987 or even a 996 before i'm 23. But a 944 is my current goal

I want my insurance cost to drop significantly before i go out and get a 930/964 turbo. (So 26-27ish is when i might start looking) 

On 10/12/2016 at 9:21 PM, chaozbandit said:

YouTube :)

Whats your GT?

Since you're my only friend on Forza Horizon 3, all my times and speeds and scores are compared to yours... haha

I need more friends so I don't feel as bad with you being better almost everywhere (or maybe feel worse).  so come on people, either add me to your Horizon 3 thing or give me your gamer tag so I can add you (pm is fine if you don't wanna post it here.  mine is warmmilk350

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

5 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

Since you're my only friend on Forza Horizon 3, all my times and speeds and scores are compared to yours... haha

I need more friends so I don't feel as bad with you being better almost everywhere (or maybe feel worse).  so come on people, either add me to your Horizon 3 thing or give me your gamer tag so I can add you (pm is fine if you don't wanna post it here.  mine is warmmilk350

Haha I don't have many, FH3 being the only game on my XB account other than FM6 Apex. Might pick up an older 360 come Black Friday and work my way through the years with the cheaper stuff. 

I'm sure you'll best me more often! My stuff was all set within launch week.

GT chaozbanditx

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

Haha I don't have many, FH3 being the only game on my XB account other than FM6 Apex. Might pick up an older 360 come Black Friday and work my way through the years with the cheaper stuff. 

I'm sure you'll best me more often! My stuff was all set within launch week.

GT chaozbanditx

FM4 is definitely worth a try

Geeze @MEC-777 check out the rear end on the 2017 Yaris WRC.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB