Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

AP2s are plentiful and hold their value well, similar to STIs, although you pay a crazy penny for one < 100,000 KM (30k+). Problem is our currency has always traded poorly against the US and because of our winters, you pay a premium for a clean one with good mileage. There are a few that have done their part in the show scene as of late, others that have been successful at track events.

A quick provincial (state-wide) search of available S2Ks in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

s2000.png

wow, how would currency against the us have to jack up prices? i mean weren't they sold natively in canada without having to import them from the us?

ps, spoilers don't work for me. still.

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

Also RIP. It's official, Scion is no more as far as the books are concerned. 

Time of death: 24-10-2016 18:00 EST

Cause of death: unknown

py8055f30nuysypfyhs4.png

:(:( you'll be missed.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

52 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Also RIP. It's official, Scion is no more as far as the books are concerned. 

Time of death: 24-10-2016 18:00 EST

Cause of death: unknown

-snip-

RIP Scion, I never cared for any of your cars except for the FR-S anyway lol

i almost liked the tC, but didn't like the 2.4L motor they put in it...

and tbh I dislike the FR-S/BRZ motor sometimes too. But it's such a good car I can kinda forgive it. 

Also the brand was just getting a big bowl of rice image attached to its name so... Yeah. I'm surprised Honda kinda worked their way out of that a little, it's still there but they grew up a lot more now. (Sadly that means less fun cars tho, gosh darn ricers ruined it)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

RIP Scion, I never cared for any of your cars except for the FR-S anyway lol

i almost liked the tC, but didn't like the 2.4L motor they put in it...

and tbh I dislike the FR-S/BRZ motor sometimes too. But it's such a good car I can kinda forgive it. 

Also the brand was just getting a big bowl of rice image attached to its name so... Yeah. I'm surprised Honda kinda worked their way out of that a little, it's still there but they grew up a lot more now. (Sadly that means less fun cars tho, gosh darn ricers ruined it)

I used to like the tC, partly because one of the cars that put them on my map was Chris Rado's Global Time Attack car. I guess it was around the time I really got into NFS Shift as well. Back then I never cared for the xB or xD, and wasn't really a fan of FWD cars in general.

095-000-Feat-RadotC-Lead-1078x516.jpg

Post-FRS I started liking the brand more. Partly because Scion Canada is generally a cool bunch of guys, but mainly because I got to know a few of the people behind Scion Racing. Plus they sponsored small shops like Speed Academy and Cyrious Garage for some genuinely cool project, and of course show cars. I actually started to like the iM a bit near the end too.

I knew from the beginning it was a budget Toyota, but I can see why it was introduced to the American market in the first place. Bless you Toyota.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

I used to like the tC, partly because one of the cars that put them on my map was Chris Rado's Global Time Attack car. I guess it was around the time I really got into NFS Shift as well. Back then I never cared for the xB or xD, and wasn't really a fan of FWD cars in general.

095-000-Feat-RadotC-Lead-1078x516.jpg

Post-FRS I started liking the brand more. Partly because Scion Canada is generally a cool bunch of guys, but mainly because I got to know a few of the people behind Scion Racing. Plus they sponsored small shops like Speed Academy and Cyrious Garage for some genuinely cool project, and of course show cars. I actually started to like the iM a bit near the end too.

I knew from the beginning it was a budget Toyota, but I can see why it was introduced to the American market in the first place. Bless you Toyota.

lmao why such a huge front wing? i mean downforce is what you want, but this guy takes it a bit too far.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

lmao why such a huge front wing? i mean downforce is what you want, but this guy takes it a bit too far.

when that car was debuted is smashed all the FWD time attack records and beat a lot of AWD and RWD records.  it was a time attack only car, so why not?

although now that time attack teams are hiring real aerodynamicists to design their bodywork they can get more downforce without a fwing 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

That gumbo tho

image.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

36 minutes ago, terrytek said:

From 2002-2007, Chris Rado was mainly a NHRA drag racer. From 2007-2012 he transitioned into FWD time attack with his tC which produced anywhere from 1100-1400hp in those years, but still utilized a relatively simple aero setup because of knowledge gained from drag racing. Back them aerodynamics was much simpler and small teams like that didnt really make use of complex CFD aero simulations, wind tunnels, and the lot like teams do now. It worked back then and he remained unchallenged, constantly setting records year over year - so why change?

In the mid 2000s aerodynamics was still very much a dark art. Innovators focused mainly on air flow over the top of a body and didn't exploit ground effects, hence the lack of rake, splitters/diffusers, venturi tunnels / vortex generators, etc. 

Fast forward another 7+ years and teams are investing into the R&D - everything is more compact, modular, efficient. Engineers are making the most of the box and pushing the boundaries of downforce/ground effect manipulation - massive diffuser and wing planes / splitters being the prime examples.

wtac_2016_aero_dino_dalle-carbonare_09.j

wtac_2016_aero_dino_dalle-carbonare_25.j

wtac_2016_aero_dino_dalle-carbonare_02.j

wtac_2016_aero_dino_dalle-carbonare_11.jwtac_2016_aero_dino_dalle-carbonare_08.j

19 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

when that car was debuted is smashed all the FWD time attack records and beat a lot of AWD and RWD records.  it was a time attack only car, so why not?

although now that time attack teams are hiring real aerodynamicists to design their bodywork they can get more downforce without a fwing 

It sucks that Rado has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth at this point. Wikipedia has nothing on him after 2012 but a bit of google-fu and I found out his team manager during his scion days was stealing from the company (via company credit cards) and he bailed. Joined Mercedes for 2012-2013 but nothing really came from it and he's been inactive since.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

@terrytek This is a "video" of some woofer flex for you. I'll try to get something better at some point

sheesh, i think 1 sub is good enough for me. 2 seems overkill. 

btw what song was that?

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

From 2002-2007, Chris Rado was mainly a NHRA drag racer. From 2007-2012 he transitioned into FWD time attack with his tC which produced anywhere from 1100-1400hp in those years, but still utilized a relatively simple aero setup because of knowledge gained from drag racing. Back them aerodynamics was much simpler and small teams like that didnt really make use of complex CFD aero simulations, wind tunnels, and the lot like teams do now. It worked back then and he remained unchallenged, constantly setting records year over year - so why change?

In the mid 2000s aerodynamics was still very much a dark art. Innovators focused mainly on air flow over the top of a body and didn't exploit ground effects, hence the lack of rake, splitters/diffusers, venturi tunnels / vortex generators, etc. 

Fast forward another 7+ years and teams are investing into the R&D - everything is more compact, modular, efficient. Engineers are making the most of the box and pushing the boundaries of downforce/ground effect manipulation - massive diffuser and wing planes / splitters being the prime examples.

It sucks that Rado has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth at this point. Wikipedia has nothing on him after 2012 but a bit of google-fu and I found out his team manager during his scion days was stealing from the company (via company credit cards) and he bailed. Joined Mercedes for 2012-2013 but nothing really came from it and he's been inactive since.

1400 hp to the front wheels? holy shit. i thought 200 to the front was a lot, let alone 1400.

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

sheesh, i think 1 sub is good enough for me. 2 seems overkill. 

btw what song was that?

1400 hp to the front wheels? holy shit. i thought 200 to the front was a lot, let alone 1400.

Apparently he boosted it to 1800hp at one point, probably at the tail end of the car's life.

Folding@Home | BOINC

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Yeah I need to work on a better box design. I want to incorporate my 10 and both 12s into the next one. I wish I could capture how much the mirrors shake. And the thing is these 12s are running at half RMS power. 

K, ya bass head 

:P 

i prefer to hear the mids and highs over the lows but we are all different I guess

Spoiler

Can I make my Miata have the same sound signature as my sennheiser headphones? xD

(I highly doubt this is possible with so little noise dampening)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Apparently he boosted it to 1800hp at one point, probably at the tail end of the car's life.

jeez, i imagine crazy ass torque steer for days sending that much power to the front.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

K, ya bass head 

:P 

i prefer to hear the mids and highs over the lows but we are all different I guess

i prefer thumping bass much more over highs and mids.

all i know the "premium bose audio" in the miata is garbage lol

and then it's complicated because there's a built in amp and the speakers have to be a certain ohm range to work with it, else you have to just throw everything out and start from scratch if you want it to sound decent with off-the-shelf speakers. why... just why..

a company called clearwater makes some "better" speakers for the bose systems. idk how good they are though.. Wish I could hear them in the car in person before purchase lol

edit: also it's a bit steep at $300.. so not exactly a pray and hope it sounds better purchase for me lol

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not if you turn it up louder.

The wing on the front is still about the funniest thing ever.

Sweet car tho.

Funny until the engine goes pop.

Folding@Home | BOINC

37 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Same. Treble gives me headaches. Although, There is such thing as too much bass.

i mean, it's too much when you hear too much bass and not enough of the highs and mids. that's why i have my settings set on full for bass, and half for mids and highs.

29 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

all i know the "premium bose audio" in the miata is garbage lol

and then it's complicated because there's a built in amp and the speakers have to be a certain ohm range to work with it, else you have to just throw everything out and start from scratch if you want it to sound decent with off-the-shelf speakers. why... just why..

a company called clearwater makes some "better" speakers for the bose systems. idk how good they are though.. Wish I could hear them in the car in person before purchase lol

edit: also it's a bit steep at $300.. so not exactly a pray and hope it sounds better purchase for me lol

i'll trade you my protege sound system for your miata sound system. pretty sure the stereo is a drop in fit, and i can get the speakers to fit in my protege somehow. the upside is that my car has a 6 cd changer, if you like that kinda thing, downside is there is no tape player, so a cassette to 3.5 adapter won't work, but there's an available port where the tape deck plugs in, so you can either find an original tape player or you can add an aftermarket aux/bluetooth kit.

45 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Same. Treble gives me headaches. Although, There is such thing as too much bass.

I am the exact opposite. I prefer treble to bass, unless I am watching a movie or playing a game. I think my taste in music is the driving factor behind that though. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I am the exact opposite. I prefer treble to bass, unless I am watching a movie or playing a game. I think my taste in music is the driving factor behind that though. 

i'm assuming it's mostly classical? because i don't see you as the type of person who would listen to bassy edm or hip hop.

Just now, terrytek said:

i'm assuming it's mostly classical? because i don't see you as the type of person who would listen to bassy edm or hip hop.

your assumption is correct. Newest stuff I listen to is late 60s early 70s.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

your assumption is correct. Newest stuff I listen to is late 60s early 70s.

so i can understand you liking treble over bass. old stuff wasn't heavy on the bass. me on the other hand, prefer the bass and the shake it can give you at high volumes. oops lol

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I feel like older music was much more focused on being consumed rather than consuming. You weren't supposed to "feel" it. But then again people cried at operas so what the hell do I know. 

I think it is more based upon music taste.  

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Or I could be reading too much into it. 

Off topic but I really don't need to impulse buy this as much as I want to. ._.

image.png

buy it.

16 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I think it is more based upon music taste.  

I like more classical music myself. Orchestrated music is really cool. Never really know what to listen to though, just hear something cool every now and then and proceed to listen to the same thing for an entire week xD. In the Miata though I'll just "background" some contemporary Christian music or something though...  

Dont really know know why I like orchestrated music though.... It's just in a sense, really powerful. And there's just something about having a large number of instruments perfectly synchronized that is amazing to me. 

This one has a choir too but look at it! It's glorious lol (Yes civ 6 theme... But Christopher tin is one awesome composer lol)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I really want to but I also want to make good life choices. :( 

This is a good life choice.

traditional-line.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

traditional-line.png

Commencing Congestive heart failure in 3...2....1

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

traditional-line.png

image broken. :( i think the forum is starting to break on me. first spoilers, now images are slowly breaking for me.