Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

This post might end up being a bit long.  Hopefully the short attention spans common in a lot of readers will still allow them to get through all of it. ;-)

Background: I've been driving Corvettes since '96.  Prior to the one I have now (which this post is about), I've owned 4 of them: a 1996, 1999 (heavily modified), 2007 Z06, and a 2010 ZR1.  All were driven extensively on the road course that's local to me (Summit Point Raceway), along with serving perfectly as daily drivers, errand runners, grocery-getters, etc.  I don't believe in owning a garage queen; I drive my cars.

Late in 2016 I sold my ZR1, as I was expecting to buy a 2016 Z06.  But I was hinted at by my contacts within the Corvette engineering team within GM: wait for the 2017s.  So I waited a year without having a Corvette.  And that was frustrating.  I missed a summer of track driving, dammit!

Anyway, August 2016 rolled around and GM cracked open the order intake for the 2017 cars.  I placed one with a large Corvette dealer as soon as I could.  And with the order, I included the "Engine Build Experience."

In the first week of October, I went to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY and actually hand-built the engine that would be going into my car.  For those not aware: the supercharged engines dropped into the snout of the Z06 are all built by hand at the Corvette plant.  Customers can add an option to do that build themselves, with a (very patient!) engine builder helping them.  Since I'd never turned a wrench on an engine before, I really wanted to give this a try.

It was worth every fricken penny.

After going through various CYA videos (watch where you walk; you don't have the right of way, the machinery does; stay with your guide; do what your told, etc etc) at 0600, I was brought into the engine build room.  Every engine starts like so: a bare block.  Shown here with the crank as well.

block.jpg

There are few pieces that come pre-assembled from the part manufacturer: the heads already have the valves in them; the pistons are already attached to the connecting rods.  The mechanized steps are the tightening of most of the bolts; you actually get the machine in place and hold it down to tighten the bolts, but the computer drives the actual turning of them to apply exactly the proper torque.  Another mechanized part is the application of RTV to the pan.  Elsewise you're doing it all yourself.  Each part is put in place, positioned, tightened down, etc.  The block is on a big cart that you push around from station to station to do all of this, as well.

Here, I'm using a $25000 wireless computerized torque wrench, accurate to the hundredth of a Nm and attached to the overseeing computer.  I'm tightening down the high pressure fuel lines that sit in the valley of the V.

fuel.jpg

Along the way, I got to add my initials to a couple of the parts as they were attached to the engine.  Here's the bottom side of the engine oil cooler, and you can also see my initials on the oil filter (which has since been changed, so it's gone).

init.jpg

It was a long process.  The pros there can do an engine in about 2-3 hours.  But when they're teaching someone, that can be strung out to 6-7 hours.  And it's exhausting; more so than you might think.

When done, my name got attached to the engine:

assemble.jpg

Then it was off to the testing booth where it's actually filled with gas and started for the very first time.  It's hard to explain the feeling that hits you, right in the chest, when you hear that engine you spent 6-8 hours assembling: from a bunch of pieces to a ~460lb chunk of kick-ass; cough, sputter, inhale a few times, and then *CRACK* to life.

running.jpg

That was awesome.

A couple of days later (I was already home, by then), the assembly of my car started.  The following week, it was finished, plopped on an 18-wheeler, and delivered to my dealer.  Since I bought it from an out-of-state dealer, and VA has annual safety inspections, I had to get it inspected.  So here it is sitting out behind my usual service station, awaiting:

car01.jpg

In our parking garage at work, in a spot that almost looks like it was reserved for me:

car02.jpg

And I'm already modifying it.  Specifically for track use: a harness bar behind the seats:

harness.jpg

Happy.  Boy.

block.jpg

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

And there's a bug in the forum: I don't know why that "block" picture got added to the end of my post under the "Happy. Boy."  Every time I delete it and save the post, it keeps coming back.  That wasn't intended.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Not gonna quote because deleting pictures out of quotes is unnecessarily hard, but thats awesome. C6 ZR1 to C7 Z06, how is it?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

28 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

This post might end up being a bit long.  Hopefully the short attention spans common in a lot of readers will still allow them to get through all of it. ;-)

Background: I've been driving Corvettes since '96.  Prior to the one I have now (which this post is about), I've owned 4 of them: a 1996, 1999 (heavily modified), 2007 Z06, and a 2010 ZR1.  All were driven extensively on the road course that's local to me (Summit Point Raceway), along with serving perfectly as daily drivers, errand runners, grocery-getters, etc.  I don't believe in owning a garage queen; I drive my cars.

Late in 2016 I sold my ZR1, as I was expecting to buy a 2016 Z06.  But I was hinted at by my contacts within the Corvette engineering team within GM: wait for the 2017s.  So I waited a year without having a Corvette.  And that was frustrating.  I missed a summer of track driving, dammit!

Anyway, August 2016 rolled around and GM cracked open the order intake for the 2017 cars.  I placed one with a large Corvette dealer as soon as I could.  And with the order, I included the "Engine Build Experience."

In the first week of October, I went to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY and actually hand-built the engine that would be going into my car.  For those not aware: the supercharged engines dropped into the snout of the Z06 are all built by hand at the Corvette plant.  Customers can add an option to do that build themselves, with a (very patient!) engine builder helping them.  Since I'd never turned a wrench on an engine before, I really wanted to give this a try.

It was worth every fricken penny.

After going through various CYA videos (watch where you walk; you don't have the right of way, the machinery does; stay with your guide; do what your told, etc etc) at 0600, I was brought into the engine build room.  Every engine starts like so: a bare block.  Shown here with the crank as well.

There are few pieces that come pre-assembled from the part manufacturer: the heads already have the valves in them; the pistons are already attached to the connecting rods.  The mechanized steps are the tightening of most of the bolts; you actually get the machine in place and hold it down to tighten the bolts, but the computer drives the actual turning of them to apply exactly the proper torque.  Another mechanized part is the application of RTV to the pan.  Elsewise you're doing it all yourself.  Each part is put in place, positioned, tightened down, etc.  The block is on a big cart that you push around from station to station to do all of this, as well.

Here, I'm using a $25000 wireless computerized torque wrench, accurate to the hundredth of a Nm and attached to the overseeing computer.  I'm tightening down the high pressure fuel lines that sit in the valley of the V.

Along the way, I got to add my initials to a couple of the parts as they were attached to the engine.  Here's the bottom side of the engine oil cooler, and you can also see my initials on the oil filter (which has since been changed, so it's gone).

It was a long process.  The pros there can do an engine in about 2-3 hours.  But when they're teaching someone, that can be strung out to 6-7 hours.  And it's exhausting; more so than you might think.

When done, my name got attached to the engine:

Then it was off to the testing booth where it's actually filled with gas and started for the very first time.  It's hard to explain the feeling that hits you, right in the chest, when you hear that engine you spent 6-8 hours assembling: from a bunch of pieces to a ~460lb chunk of kick-ass; cough, sputter, inhale a few times, and then *CRACK* to life.

That was awesome.

A couple of days later (I was already home, by then), the assembly of my car started.  The following week, it was finished, plopped on an 18-wheeler, and delivered to my dealer.  Since I bought it from an out-of-state dealer, and VA has annual safety inspections, I had to get it inspected.  So here it is sitting out behind my usual service station, awaiting:

In our parking garage at work, in a spot that almost looks like it was reserved for me:

And I'm already modifying it.  Specifically for track use: a harness bar behind the seats:

Happy.  Boy.

Living the dream right there xD Congratulations on an awesome car man. 

Must be really pleasant to put together a brand new engine too. 

On a sidenote.. I would looove to have that job. Would be really fun to help someone build their own engine. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Weird almost high pitched whine noise from my car when I started it this morning in 39F weather... Only for a little while though and then it went away

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My new door locks have arrived!. Now i just need to go get them.. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

GET YOUR WALLETS READY

A Skyline GTR R33 400R just went up for auction in Japan. List date is 2016/12/09. Mileage on the car is less than 14,000 km and the list price is ¥6,800,000 (about $80,000 CAD)

@MEC-777 @JoaoPRSousa

Well, shit. I don't think 60E is enough to buy that...

Will they accept Forza credits?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Just do what carguy does and drift your way to the department store

I think i'll take a walk down to the store instead xD It isn't that far

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Just make sure to lock yourself out first. 

The main worry is that the key sticks in the lock. So i'll pick the new locks and keys up and then i'll be free to use pliers and hammers if need be.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

C6 ZR1 to C7 Z06, how is it?

It's getting cooler here and I have to drive somewhat more carefully.  Cold roads and cold tires mix poorly with cold air into the engine.  Lots more torque and no grip.  But with that in mind: the cars are two completely different things.  I loved the ZR1: it made me giggle like a stupid little school boy every time I stomped on the loud pedal.  The Z06 is that to a much larger degree.

The interior, comfort, amenities, etc, etc are just immensely different and substantially better in the Z06.

The real test will be next spring when I get it out on the track for the first time.

8 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It's a Flat 4. Not a V4. We, pretty much, just bash everyone that gets engine's cylinder arrangement / engine configurations wrong, until they get it right. (At least I'd do it xD )

I once spotted a stolen IS200 on the second hand market, and well, the stupid owner had a V6 badge on the engine (INLINE 4) and well, the guy who stole was so fucking dumb, even after taking the engine out of the car he said it was a V6. Good god. I messaged him about him being as stupid as possible and reported him. I don't want cars stolen after what happened with my dad's E34 :(

Ahh I see lol

I meant 4 cylinder, not v4

But anyways, which of those cars shoud i get?

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Just get out the blue tipped wrench. The one with tanks attached to it

If it was an old beater i would xD The paint is still immaculate on my car though.. Didn't even want to thaw the locks with my lighter when it was really cold out.

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

@carguy86 look at this shit on speedhunters http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/12/building-dreams-stone-motorsport/

2016 Stone Motorsport Speedhunters by Paddy McGrath-82

2016 Stone Motorsport Speedhunters by Paddy McGrath-83

2016 Stone Motorsport Speedhunters by Paddy McGrath-85 apparently the goal is to make a 1:1 car, with 650hp out of that 2jz with a 650kg car. i think that's suicide, because that's such a light ass car, with that much power.

How about the twin engines starlet? 2x 800hp in 1100kg of car.... (Its on speedhunters but its an older article, the car has changed quite a lot mechanicaly since then)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

28 minutes ago, Rambi83 said:

My supercharged Opel Speedster.

God i wish the spring came faster here in Scandinavia.

I wish summer never left xD

Caved and bought watch dogs 2 but at the rate its downloading the world will have become a surveillance dystopia before it finishes..

As youre downloading it a revoloution starts

As i'm downloading it a revolution starts, Installs a new government, The government collapses and the old regime rises again. 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hopefully thats what happens when the united states implodes in a couple hundred years. 

Pfft.. Couple hundred. There will be a glitch in the autonomous driving system within fifty years that just wipes out 40% of the us population

That got dark real quick

every autonomous car in the us just sets their destination to the local burger king and pins the throttle at 100% xD 

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

It's getting cooler here and I have to drive somewhat more carefully.  Cold roads and cold tires mix poorly with cold air into the engine.  Lots more torque and no grip.  But with that in mind: the cars are two completely different things.  I loved the ZR1: it made me giggle like a stupid little school boy every time I stomped on the loud pedal.  The Z06 is that to a much larger degree.

The interior, comfort, amenities, etc, etc are just immensely different and substantially better in the Z06.

The real test will be next spring when I get it out on the track for the first time.

Ah I see. The ZR1 is one of my favorite cars. Really like that color of your Z06

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Lol instant market adjustment, nice try BMW Toronto. Have a friend who works there tip me off about it's delivery last night but didn't say anything about the price. Now I know why. 

@MEC-777

Screenshot_2016-12-09-13-51-37.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

5 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Lol instant market adjustment, nice try BMW Toronto. Have a friend who works there tip me off about it's delivery last night but didn't say anything about the price. Now I know why. 

@MEC-777

$234.200 for a bmw m4? 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, techswede said:

$234.200 for a bmw m4? 

giphy.gif

It's the GTS... :/

You can as much power as an M5 E60, for 10 times the price. Legit.

(4 cylinders less, 2 seats less, 2 turbos more, less weight, more rollcage, more downforce and more brakes :| Oh and less noise)

Edited by JoaoPRSousa
SORRY V10 BMW GODS IM SORRY

"an obvious supporter of privacy"