Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Looking at all these cars with so much engine and complexity, so many parts, chemicals, mechanicals. Big cylinders, small cylinders, turbos, fuel injectors, computers, transmissions. linkages. Holy crap.

Really love my Tesla model 3. It's just a battery, a computer, a motor. Some support stuff like a cooling system for the battery. But it's so simple. And it's so fast. Instant torque. No transmission. A computer that acts like a computer, it plays games, youtube, netflix, etc. Always connected. It's so smart it's simple. Yes, it has autopilot and I use it a lot.

Over 50k miles, no maintenance. Just rotated the tires and new tires. That's it. Next year I get a replacement cabin filter. That's the maintenance.

If anyone has legitimate questions, ask away, I'll be glad to answer.

41 minutes ago, willies leg said:

How many supercharger minutes did you get for that post?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Generally electric cars have less moving parts but not necessarily less complicated or less failure prone parts. There's still a relatively small sample size and relatively few miles driven by them compared to traditional ICE vehicles so making comparisons is difficult yet.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

How many supercharger minutes did you get for that post?

None, the only way to get credit with a Model 3 is with a referral code, so if anyone buys a Tesla with my referral code, for example, we both get 1,000 free supercharger miles. That works out to around $50 or so each, not a big deal.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Generally electric cars have less moving parts but not necessarily less complicated or less failure prone parts. There's still a relatively small sample size and relatively few miles driven by them compared to traditional ICE vehicles so making comparisons is difficult yet.

It's hard to generalize because there are so many companies doing electric cars now, and some of them are a lot more complicated than others. Check out Sandy Munro on youtube, he does a lot of car teardowns.

His comparison between Tesla, Ford and VW is pretty good:

Really gives you a good feel between architectures, direction and complexity.

My build/daily driver, feel free to comment 🙂

I got the car exactly a year ago...spend a lot of my free time during covid making it really fit my taste...i love this car.

cover-image

4-jpg.290997

20210509_164342-jpg.291002

1-jpg.290994

3-jpg.290996

20210509_164210-jpg.291000

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Just make sure you are good at NVH and interior work and you'll be set to retirement.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Also can't forget about this mess that was posted a few weeks ago. The manufacturers find a way to keep cars going into the shop.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Also can't forget about this mess that was posted a few weeks ago. The manufacturers find a way to keep cars going into the shop.

All that corrosion in a new-ish car..... 🤣

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

My build/daily driver, feel free to comment 🙂

I got the car exactly a year ago...spend a lot of my free time during covid making it really fit my taste...i love this car.

cover-image

4-jpg.290997

20210509_164342-jpg.291002

1-jpg.290994

3-jpg.290996

20210509_164210-jpg.291000

its clean

I finished my first autocross! It was a ton of fun, even if my driving wasn't too great... I got the whole thing on video and the ones I'm posting here are my two fastest (and most aggressive) runs. Hope you guys don't cringe too much at my driving, I've never gone this fast and was more focused on making it out alive than driving perfectly. Besides that, my tires were screaming pretty much the entire time - I guess it makes sense for 700 treadwear all seasons with a 185 width. Even with all that, I managed to beat some surprising cars: 4 Miatas - 1 NB, 1 NC, and 2 NDs - a Corvette Z06, a 370Z, and an S2000! In addition, I was somehow only a tenth of a second behind a Ferrari 360 Modena. I also managed to save the car from spinning after hard braking in the middle of the fifth run - never done anything like that before. Apologies in advance for the horrific understeer in these clips... :old-woah:

This is a 2004 Toyota Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE motor, and is pretty close to stock. I'm proud of it!

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

13 hours ago, willies leg said:

Looking at all these cars with so much engine and complexity, so many parts, chemicals, mechanicals. Big cylinders, small cylinders, turbos, fuel injectors, computers, transmissions. linkages. Holy crap.

Really love my Tesla model 3. It's just a battery, a computer, a motor. Some support stuff like a cooling system for the battery. But it's so simple. And it's so fast. Instant torque. No transmission. A computer that acts like a computer, it plays games, youtube, netflix, etc. Always connected. It's so smart it's simple. Yes, it has autopilot and I use it a lot.

Over 50k miles, no maintenance. Just rotated the tires and new tires. That's it. Next year I get a replacement cabin filter. That's the maintenance.

what do you do when the coolant port on the battery breaks off and tesla wants $16,000 for a new battery instead of fixing the coolant port? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

...Or how about your autopilot kills you or your rear bumper just suddenly falls off? 😉

Look the rear bumper falling off is because of the bicyclist that got ran over. And no, that wouldn't be an autopilot failure either.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

what do you do when the coolant port on the battery breaks off and tesla wants $16,000 for a new battery instead of fixing the coolant port? 

That's something the legacy car companies would do, not Tesla.

Every time I had my Honda serviced they'd find all kinds of things wrong, somehow I left that place with a $800 bill, every time.

Heck, I remember when they replaced the timing belt on the Honda, they said as long as they're in there they might as well replace water pump. Even though the water pump was still good. What a sucky design.

So glad to get away from that shit.

5 minutes ago, willies leg said:

Every time I had my Honda serviced they'd find all kinds of things wrong, somehow I left that place with a $800 bill, every time.

Heck, I remember when they replaced the timing belt on the Honda, they said as long as they're in there they might as well replace water pump. Even though the water pump was still good. What a sucky design.

Tbf, doing the water pump at the same time as the cambelt is a pretty common repair over here 🤷‍♂️

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 hours ago, Benji said:

...Or how about your autopilot kills you or your rear bumper just suddenly falls off? 😉

I'd probably do the same thing I'd do if my steering wheel popped off

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/ford-steering-wheel-recall/index.html#:~:text=Ford is recalling 1.4 million,from model years 2014-2018.

Or if my wheel popped off

https://www.mlive.com/auto/2021/06/fiat-chrysler-recalls-over-500k-ram-trucks-because-the-wheels-can-literally-fall-off.html

Or if the thing just started burning, even when it was turned off in the driveway

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/hyundai-santa-fe-sport-recalled-for-fire-risk-again/

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

49 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's why there's recalls once they find out that something might happen. I have never heard of Tesla recalling their apparently faulty Model 3's that lose their rear bumper just because it's raining outside. At this point, it appears as though you're shilling out to EVs because they're this magical new thing while finding bad things about ICE-powered cars that aren't really a thing.

I'm just surprised you didn't dig out the story about the Ford Pinto...

By the way, all of those things about the "computer in the car behaving like a computer" that you've listed before like playing games and watching videos... It's dangerous and entirely useless in a car.

The same goes for being required to touch around on the humongous, distractive screen in the central console just to open a sub-menu in which you can set the rain sensor's sensitivity. Not to mention that most car brands have a better QC and less quality issues than Tesla does. They're not known for their bad build quality right from the factory for nothing.

And please don't bring up Elon Musk's statement that they're just supposed to be there to get other manufacturers to produce good EVs, because that's not an excuse to be lackluster in terms of build quality. When you produce a product, it should be good and it shouldn't be notorious for being built bad.

I think EV’s are great, Tesla is still early they are working out kinks Which I understand. But I just don’t like Tesla’s company practices and choices they make in regards to locking things down, only replacing entire components instead of just fixing the issue, etc. 

and not to mention they seem to be totally against consumer’s right to repair in what they do and how they do things. 

Spoiler

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Damn activated the trap card and everything. Watched that vid last night.

Also if your water pump is driven by the timing belt you replace it while doing the timing belt. Most J series starts leaking about 130k without service.

10 minutes ago, vetali said:

Damn activated the trap card and everything. Watched that vid last night.

Also if your water pump is driven by the timing belt you replace it while doing the timing belt. Most J series starts leaking about 130k without service.

Yeah water pump is a while you’re in there you might as well so you don’t have to do it again kind of thing 

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Benji said:

That's why there's recalls once they find out that something might happen. I have never heard of Tesla recalling their apparently faulty Model 3's that lose their rear bumper just because it's raining outside. At this point, it appears as though you're shilling out to EVs because they're this magical new thing while finding bad things about ICE-powered cars that aren't really a thing.

I'm just surprised you didn't dig out the story about the Ford Pinto...

By the way, all of those things about the "computer in the car behaving like a computer" that you've listed before like playing games and watching videos... It's dangerous and entirely useless in a car.

The same goes for being required to touch around on the humongous, distractive screen in the central console just to open a sub-menu in which you can set the rain sensor's sensitivity. Not to mention that most car brands have a better QC and less quality issues than Tesla does. They're not known for their bad build quality right from the factory for nothing.

And please don't bring up Elon Musk's statement that they're just supposed to be there to get other manufacturers to produce good EVs, because that's not an excuse to be lackluster in terms of build quality. When you produce a product, it should be good and it shouldn't be notorious for being built bad.

Not having owned a Tesla most would say you aren't qualified to make any of those assumptions, you're just amplifying FUD.

I've owned a Ford, Hondas, Toyotas, a Dodge and now Tesla. My personal experience with each ICE is they're all a heaping pile of complexity, maintenance, and eventually failure based on that. Tesla hasn't failed yet, and it's been zero maintenance, zero problems. Not even brakes yet. Nothing. 2 years. I'd say that's progress. But I wish you luck.

27 minutes ago, willies leg said:

Not having owned a Tesla most would say you aren't qualified to make any of those assumptions, you're just amplifying FUD.

I've owned a Ford, Hondas, Toyotas, a Dodge and now Tesla. My personal experience with each ICE is they're all a heaping pile of complexity, maintenance, and eventually failure based on that. Tesla hasn't failed yet, and it's been zero maintenance, zero problems. Not even brakes yet. Nothing. 2 years. I'd say that's progress. But I wish you luck.

But have you ever owned a crappy $2,000 civic that had its issues but cost you almost nothing over 2 years and got you ahead in life, and then donated it when you were done with it? 

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

But have you ever owned a crappy $2,000 civic that had its issues but cost you almost nothing over 2 years and got you ahead in life, and then donated it when you were done with it? 

My first car was a Honda Civic. New CV joints, both sides, back then they were really expensive. Carburetor issues, new brakes, fuel tank rusted out, fuel filter, fuel pump, radiator, alternator, spark plugs, oil changes, probably more I'm missing. Was it cheap? Gas-wise, sipped fuel like nothing else. Maintenance and repairs? Yeah, that's where it was time consuming and expensive. Safe car? Absolutely not! Ha! Again, it's all relative. Overall good car? Compared to others at the time, it was good. I learned a lot, too, doing most of the work myself, buying the tools, buying the books (pre-internet) and talking to people.

Glad you like your car though. Someday I'm sure you'll get an electric, it's inevitable, all the manufacturers are going there, just a matter of time. Early adopters right now, and I'll tell you what, it's amazingly fun and refreshing. Kindof like playing for an iPhone for the first time when everybody else is rocking their flip phone.

18 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Meh, accidents happen. I'd say if you ran over shit with a gas or diesel car and it shredded up the bottom you'd have problems too. Heck, if you ran over something and it cut up the radiator line and you kept driving, you'd need a new engine for sure.

Kinda want my V70 to get a stage 1 tuning, seeing as its a D3 engine in my Volvo V70 D3 from 2016.

Just did the belt and changed the top package costing some 1550€/1825$, hopefully it will last another 50k km 🙂

About to hit 150k km soon..

Kind of tempted to try stage 1 when its about 300-400€/350-450$~ something for the first stage.

Im all okay to go from 163HP to some 180-190 something.

This being my second car and its doing 0,70L a mile (10km, not us-miles) im considering many things..

Sadly i cant lower it as our gravel roads PITS keep opening every half a year..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD