NVIDIA could price the next-gen GeForce GTX 2080 at up to $1499 USD

3 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

You need to pay more attention to your economics class bud, the higher prices vastly decrease's the amount of volume being sold, so if before at $379 they could sell 200 units, now at $700 they can only sell 50 units, that paired with the already decreasing volume of sales of GPUs . Higher prices mean's fewer people can even afford the GPUs. It is basic economics. Wish people would stop being a conspisisy theorist and use logic for once.

Those theoretical "200" cards don't exist in our current situation, and either way the cards are going to keep selling in their current volumes regardless of price. This is why they are jacking the prices up, those theoretical volume sales have already happened on a normal market, but with the mark-up they are making much more then they would be if they were selling at MSRP. This has nothing to do with conspiracy, but actual economic which you are telling me to educate myself on. I think I have a decent grasp on this situation without being a market insider.  

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

No, they did that due to ram prices being so high which was caused by phone manufacturers switching over using the same types of memory that they do

which limited production even more besides limited runs

not sure why people dont understand

It boggles my mind that any sane tech enthusiasts would actually advacat for a license or block on doing a type processing on their own gear. I get that mining is annoying but you cannot un-ring that bell. 

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

25 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

You need to pay more attention to your economics class bud, the higher prices vastly decrease's the amount of volume being sold, so if before at $379 they could sell 200 units, now at $700 they can only sell 50 units, that paired with the already decreasing volume of sales of GPUs . Higher prices mean's fewer people can even afford the GPUs. It is basic economics. Wish people would stop being a conspisisy theorist and use logic for once.

Not too sure you said what you meant to say,  both Nvidia and AMD are selling everything they have, there is no decrease in volume due to higher prices.  People are just paying more and still buying everything.

I'm not even sure it is mining or ram that is the biggest driver of all this.  There is so much hype around the cost of cards and availability that people who really want them will be running out and trying to get them before the price goes any higher.  It's actually normal market trends, you see it with stocks and commodities and even in the banking sector all the time.  A whiff of fear in the wind that something is going to fail and everyone sells ensuring it's failure.  Same thing with GPU's, everyone is blaming mining and ram saying it is getting worse,  so those who want to buy are trying to get in before it gets worse which only cements the whole situation.   I believe they call it panic buying/selling.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Equlix said:

It boggles my mind that any sane tech enthusiasts would actually advacat for a license or block on doing a type processing on their own gear. I get that mining is annoying but you cannot un-ring that bell. 

I cant believe some tech enthusiast think paying over a grand for 1070 is reasonable and people should just deal with it. 

This is affecting the PC market huge right now because at this moment, over half the cost is for the GPU, even for a mid range GPU resulting in people not building because its just way too expensive. 

21 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I cant believe some tech enthusiast think paying over a grand for 1070 is reasonable and people should just deal with it. 

This is affecting the PC market huge right now because at this moment, over half the cost is for the GPU, even for a mid range GPU resulting in people not building because its just way too expensive. 

affecting the diyers only which is a smaller base

many prebuilts out there with gpus in them for same price as just one gpu for diyer

examples

http://www.microcenter.com/product/502046/G315_Desktop_Computer

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?ref=8575135&loc=9199c1f41cd111e8845d5a783dfab57c0INT&acampID=9199c1f41cd111e8845d5a783dfab57c0INT&skuId=6155310

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Second is since AMD doesnt care at all with competing with Nvidia, people were already buying out the stock of GPUs. The demand just made it worse. But since Nvidia is still only making money off MSRP, they are not making more than they would have. 

Thing is, the mining craze is advantageous for AMD in a way it's not for nVidia. Simply put, Raven Ridge will do gangbusters while the price of GPUs is inflated since even the 2200g is powerful enough to play the latest games at low-med settings and 40-60 fps at 1080p when paired with a $30 aftermarket cooler. This means you can get away with a $410-480 computer that can do anything you need. I'm honestly halfway tempted to just build a couple of those systems for me and my friends while we wait to blow serious money on a Matisse/Navi combo.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Volume. Higher prices aren't the only way you make more money.

There isn't any more volume than what Nvidia has been providing to AIB's,no reason to increase volume when they made more money,plus the benefit of not having to risk increasing production on unstable crypto.  If not the miners buying up everything demand would be slightly higher in scientific use providing the supply kept up because geforce cards are cheaper than quadro cards.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

It only affects smaller system builders and enthusiasts,though I agree something should be done or it could eventually affect the entire hardware industry and possibly even game devs having to code with older hardware in mind,also giving consoles leverage while some continue being content with overpriced GPU's.

7 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

"Hey man, my computer cracked this code", "cool, Ill give you $5 for that code", "But its just a fake number", "dont fucking care, its money now, deal with it"

Got to love how bullshit can start out of no where for no reason. 

Please, that cracked code doesnt mean shit, its not some important data, the whole fucking blockchain is retarded, you have to use massive ammounts of processing to approve transactions and those who crack the codes get money for it,thats just fucking retarded inneficient and should be banned.

While the blockchain can have great uses its implementations are silly. We are not effectively going backwards in efficiency for decades scientist and investors in R&D tried to make computing faster and more efficient and now everyone flocks to blockchain/crypto  using all the processing they can get to solve increasingly more difficult calculations for no reason, ruining the GPU market in the process.

11 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

If this were true at all (which I doubt) then game developers need to take into consideration that a large portion of gamers will be running older hardware, so they can't go overboard with graphics requirements just to please the 1% that pays a few grand for graphics cards. This could very well ruin PC gaming completely in the future.

They can always go overboard. The only thing is that in games as usual, the gap between ultra and high will be much higher than between the other graphics setting both in term of difficulty to drive and quality. Which means that if you want to play your games in ultra, you,ll need the 2080

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

A price tag of $1500 will make it all the sweeter when Gigabyte gives me my free one a few months from now, they should have checked my 1080Ti was stable before selling me it.

This is not news, just speculation.

Nvidia would just anger consumers if they do this, so this would be a bad move PR wise. If they set the MSRP at $699 or whatever, they will end up selling for $1500 anyway.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you take inflation into account, then yes, it has been cheaper over time.

But if you don't inflation into account, then no. The launch flagship has been steadily getting more expensive over time. But it's also largely due to who was first in the "next generation."

These prices only affect the DIY market. You can still get prebuilt desktops from OEMs for the same price as before.

If you need a new system now and don't want to pay inflated prices, swallow your pride and buy a prebuilt system.

No what I mean is that for the same price as last gen you get a better performing card. Like how the 1070 was much cheaper than the 980ti and but preformed basically identical. Same with the 1060 and 980. I mean it isn't always as extreme as that but generally you can have performance that is better value compared to last generation so the whole nation that nvidia wouldn't price their next gen in a way that would make last gen uncompetitive is silly as it has always been the case. Buying the last gen new has always been a bad deal once the next gen has released because they don't lower the prices on last gen very much if at all and the next gen is just a way better value. Now people are thinking this gen will be any different?

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

No what I mean is that for the same price as last gen you get a better performing card. Like how the 1070 was much cheaper than the 980ti and but preformed basically identical. Same with the 1060 and 980.

That's kind of to be expected when you progress in technology.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Now people are thinking this gen will be any different?

No, just this article writer and people who are buying into it. I don't understand how market prices will affect future MSRP. That's like Nintendo going "we're just going to charge $200 for the SNES classic because the NES classic sold for that much on the market!"

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, just this article writer and people who are buying into it. I don't understand how market prices will affect future MSRP. That's like Nintendo going "we're just going to charge $200 for the SNES classic because the NES classic sold for that much on the market!"

Yeah it just bugs me when the guy says stuff like this "Why would anyone buy the GTX 1080 at $1000, even miners... when the GTX 2080 is $599-$699?" Clearly that was always the case when then next gen came out. I mean who bought a new 980 when the 1070 or 1060 was out? Nobody who knew about the next gens performance. 

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean he said this as well. "As it stands, I can't see how NVIDIA can launch the GTX 2080 at its 'usual' launch price of $599-$699, when cards that are SLOWER than it (GTX 1080) are nearly DOUBLE the price". Again he fails to realize that they don't try and price their next gen gpus based on how they preform with last gens gpus. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I mean he said this as well. "As it stands, I can't see how NVIDIA can launch the GTX 2080 at its 'usual' launch price of $599-$699, when cards that are SLOWER than it (GTX 1080) are nearly DOUBLE the price". Again he fails to realize that they don't try and price their next gen gpus based on how they preform with last gens gpus. 

facepalm.gif

how do i economics?

Nvidia told retailers to not sell cards to miners.

They lied. They want them sold to miners at a high MSRP.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

LOL

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

18 minutes ago, Kamina said:

Nvidia told retailers to not sell cards to miners.

They lied. They want them sold to miners at a high MSRP.

LOL, yeah that was just PR nonsense to satisfy most consumers. Really like Nvidia could care what the retailers do when Nvidia themselves likely sell GPU's in bulk to miners.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Cards will be sold out if the demand is there so I don't think there's an actual risk in buying expensive stock. It only becomes a problem if they can't sell them for whatever reason (eg too expensive or sudden increase in availability lowering the market price).

I do seem to recall some people working retail saying they're not making more money off of the mining craze (or maybe I should clarify that they're not making larger profits per product) indicating they were purchasing cards at inflated prices and obviously passing on the bill to consumers while taking their usual meager profit margin. But I think it depends on the retailer. I think locally that stores play fair due to a combination of fierce competition and strong regulation but I think American stores like Newegg don't mind taking a bigger piece of the pie than they usually do.

Of course don't quote me on this. I may be mixing stuff up in my mind.

The risk to the retailer is a massive drop in value, just like what happened to the AIBs when they decided to massively increase production the last time there was a boom; they got burned with a ton of old stock cards that weren't going to sell because the next generation was out. In small batches, yes, you're right they'll sell. But lead time is months when it comes to GPUs, so you don't have that luxury.

Local stores focus more on customer loyalty because they have to. Online retailers couldn't care less, because their customer pool is several times larger.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

There isn't any more volume than what Nvidia has been providing to AIB's,no reason to increase volume when they made more money,plus the benefit of not having to risk increasing production on unstable crypto.  If not the miners buying up everything demand would be slightly higher in scientific use providing the supply kept up because geforce cards are cheaper than quadro cards.

Do you think that it's a constant stream and they only make the same amount every year? That's not how it works. Of course there's more product being delivered. You know Nvidia doesn't really profit more from higher priced cards right? They don't sell those, they sell the GPU core. Not only that, they produce what the board partners demand, so the risk Nvidia is generally low, it's mostly put on the AIBs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I can't wait to live in a world where I have to buy a gpu and then buy a GeForce yearly license to process dx13 games.

Solving a temporary supply problem with a permanent and anti-consumer licensing solution is pretty short sighted. If we give them an inch to stop crypto mining from stepping on gamers toes they will take a mile. Thats all I'm saying.  

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The risk to the retailer is a massive drop in value, just like what happened to the AIBs when they decided to massively increase production the last time there was a boom; they got burned with a ton of old stock cards that weren't going to sell because the next generation was out. In small batches, yes, you're right they'll sell. But lead time is months when it comes to GPUs, so you don't have that luxury.

The problem right now is that memory is so limited with no real end in sight so despite capacity to increase GPU volume they can't really get many more cards on shelves. Demand for memory is still going up. Production of memory is supposed to increase but supposedly not enough. That's why I consider the risk over the next 3-6 months low and the risk has been low for a long time to begin with. Everyone has had plenty of time to get maximum profits from the situation.

When I said locally I didn't mean small stores in the neighborhood. I meant locally as in my location which is not the US. I obviously can't speak for every market hence I limited the scope. I'm still talking large online stores. They just play by different rules than the likes of Newegg. Not because they want to be nice but because their hands are tied. Thankfully. They have to fight to keep their inventory up but at the same time they risk retaining stock if they push prices too high because competitors don't hike the prices much more than their supplier gouges them for. The reason they can gouge is that they'll just sell the inventory to another store if they don't pay up. On the other hand I suspect consumer protection takes the brunt of any attempt at doing the same to end users as well as aforementioned competition. However I'll admit I know little of how the supply chain looks and how many options there are. I suspect there is very little competition or oversight hence gouging middle men.

Here IAM sitting around with my 1080ti's in sli saying life's good because I got them brand new on Amazon only slightly above msrp.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.