NVIDIA could price the next-gen GeForce GTX 2080 at up to $1499 USD

19 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I looked at the prices when I was about to buy a new gpu and at the time the last gen gpus were still around their msrp on newegg. So unless you are calling newegg an odd shop then I would have to disagree with you.

Well, yes, if they can't price a GTX 970 I'd pretty much consider them very odd :P Especially if you saw it "MSRP", which is substantially higher than 970s were going for even before the launch of the 10xx series - 970s were systematically below €300 (closer to €250) when Pascal launched. Sure, you could also find some particular model claiming LN2-ready card and what not, but your run of the mill non-blower cooler card was above 300 even before any new gen launched. So yeah, seeing it at MSRP was pretty odd indeed.

Although I would like to know what their stock was, if any, at that particular point in tima. Plus "Newegg" does mean a collection of stores, odd or not, as well. For example, if I look for a 970 right now on Newegg, your store of reference, this is what I find:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFCN6S85915&cm_re=gtx_970-_-9SIAFCN6S85915-_-Product

Not exactly MSRP, nor reasonable for that matter.

And the thing is, despite what you may seem to remember seeing once, the evidence on the contrary is everywhere.  FX-8xxx launched at  €200 at least, but they were selling by €150 even before Ryzen launch. Not to mention the FX-9xxx MSRP, how long did it take for them to be barely more expensive than an FX-8xxx? The moment Ryzen launched, you could get them for €89-129. Yes, when stocks run out you will see shops here and there sticking to the last unit to see if someone bites, as I said before. I bought an R9 280 for €150 in 2015, and it was barely cheaper than the next option. What was it's MSRP? Not to mention the HD 7950 (that is, the same card under a different name) launch price. And then you have current GPU prices themselves: is there any more obvious evidence of pricing reflecting market conditions than that?

Time and time again, actual prices, market prices, reflect market conditions, including relative performance, features, and stocks. In the end, reality always wins.

Getting back to the article. I wonder if Nvida figures prices are going to remain high so they can cash it. As they are leaving a lot of money on the table for distributors and retailers. Also if they pick a high price like that for MSRP, its not like the retailers can sell them for much more. Because at the end of the day there is a price that both gamers and miners wont buy at. A way I look at it, its a way to punish retailers for the high price of the current gen cards by cutting them out of the profit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, yes, if they can't price a GTX 970 I'd pretty much consider them very odd :P Especially if you saw it "MSRP", which is substantially higher than 970s were going for even before the launch of the 10xx series - 970s were systematically below €300 (closer to €250) when Pascal launched. Sure, you could also find some particular model claiming LN2-ready card and what not, but your run of the mill non-blower cooler card was above 300 even before any new gen launched. So yeah, seeing it at MSRP was pretty odd indeed.

Although I would like to know what their stock was, if any, at that particular point in tima. Plus "Newegg" does mean a collection of stores, odd or not, as well. For example, if I look for a 970 right now on Newegg, your store of reference, this is what I find:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFCN6S85915&cm_re=gtx_970-_-9SIAFCN6S85915-_-Product

Not exactly MSRP, nor reasonable for that matter.

And the thing is, despite what you may seem to remember seeing once, the evidence on the contrary is everywhere.  FX-8xxx launched at  €200 at least, but they were selling by €150 even before Ryzen launch. Not to mention the FX-9xxx MSRP, how long did it take for them to be barely more expensive than an FX-8xxx? The moment Ryzen launched, you could get them for €89-129. Yes, when stocks run out you will see shops here and there sticking to the last unit to see if someone bites, as I said before. I bought an R9 280 for €150 in 2015, and it was barely cheaper than the next option. What was it's MSRP? Not to mention the HD 7950 (that is, the same card under a different name) launch price. And then you have current GPU prices themselves: is there any more obvious evidence of pricing reflecting market conditions than that?

Time and time again, actual prices, market prices, reflect market conditions, including relative performance, features, and stocks. In the end, reality always wins.

By that logic the gtx 1070 should have been prices similarly with the 980ti. But it was the other way around. The price of the gtx 1070 brought the price of the 980ti down in the used market. It was still overpriced in the new market when I looked at buying a gpu right when the 10 series launched. 

Unreliable source. unsure I can trust this site. Does not seem legit.

MSRP has stayed the same, pricing is just because of mining. The performance boost isn't what usually happens, just because of die shrink. 

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Getting back to the article. I wonder if Nvida figures prices are going to remain high so they can cash it. As they are leaving a lot of money on the table for distributors and retailers. Also if they pick a high price like that for MSRP, its not like the retailers can sell them for much more. Because at the end of the day there is a price that both gamers and miners wont buy at. A way I look at it, its a way to punish retailers for the high price of the current gen cards by cutting them out of the profit. 

I mean the problem with that logic is that if the mining market crashes then the prices of the gpus will be so high that nobody will buy them. They can lower the msrp but the stores would lose alot of money on the inventory they bought at the previous msrp. I don't think they will inflate the msrp just to make money on a voilitile market.

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean the problem with that logic is that if the mining market crashes then the prices of the gpus will be so high that nobody will buy them. They can lower the msrp but the stores would lose alot of money on the inventory they bought at the previous msrp. I don't think they will inflate the msrp just to make money on a voilitile market.

The fact is mining is here to stay. Bitcoin went from 20k to 8k to 11k. The fact is, it always crashes and returns, all that happen is the market become unstable because the price of bitcoin got too high. So the market corrected its self. The coin market is very similar to the stock market. Ever wonder why the price of oil gets so high? Its because people speculate on oils value. The same thing happens with the coins. Nvidia is just taking a bigger slice of the pie. Plus we dont know what the distributors or retailers pay for the cards. Plus the cost is going up regardless. There is this little thing called inflation. Plus with the shortage of RAM, the law of Supply and Demand dictate that ram prices also increase. This means its costs them more to product an actual card. From what was said on Tech Talk it sounds like the materials that all semi conductors are made out of, are in short supply. I have a feeling Nvida could have increased costs on the GPU production side as a result. 

So if you take in to account that Nvidia's Costs have probably increased on top of inflation, there is a chance that the next gen cards will be more expensive. 

31 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The fact is mining is here to stay. Bitcoin went from 20k to 8k to 11k. The fact is, it always crashes and returns, all that happen is the market become unstable because the price of bitcoin got too high. So the market corrected its self. The coin market is very similar to the stock market. Ever wonder why the price of oil gets so high? Its because people speculate on oils value. The same thing happens with the coins. Nvidia is just taking a bigger slice of the pie. Plus we dont know what the distributors or retailers pay for the cards. Plus the cost is going up regardless. There is this little thing called inflation. Plus with the shortage of RAM, the law of Supply and Demand dictate that ram prices also increase. This means its costs them more to product an actual card. From what was said on Tech Talk it sounds like the materials that all semi conductors are made out of, are in short supply. I have a feeling Nvida could have increased costs on the GPU production side as a result. 

So if you take in to account that Nvidia's Costs have probably increased on top of inflation, there is a chance that the next gen cards will be more expensive. 

Oh I do expect pricing to increase a little like it has in the past but not to 1200 or some dumb price for next gen 80 series.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Oh I do expect pricing to increase a little like it has in the past but not to 1200 or some dumb price for next gen 80 series.

by a little you mean above it's 2017 record right?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

by a little you mean above it's 2017 record right?

I mean like the 970 compared to the 1070. Or the 980 compared to the 1080. The 1070 and the 1080 both had a slightly higher msrp at launch. I would expect something like that to be the msrp for the next gen. Again I mean msrp not price you will find it for.

Speculating on pricing of the new card based on the prices of current cards, which are EOL, seems foolish at best. I expect MSRP to be around $800 US with initial supply selling out rapidly due to pent-up demand. By August-September, we ought to be able to reliably get our hands on these cards for MSRP as production should be meeting demand by then. All this assumes the "Turing" cards designed for mining do actually materialize.

A $1500 US MSRP is simply absurd, and Nvidia would be pricing customers out of the PC gaming market by doing so.

2 hours ago, I Am John Galt said:

as production should be meeting demand by then.

They cant meet demand. We dont have the RAM. The RAM shortage is not going to end any time soon. They physically cant mine the material fast enough for demand. 

Maybe. This is how you piss off your long time clients... gamers. You can make money now. But i’ll never buy a new Nvidia card again if they pull this crap. 

51 minutes ago, suits said:

Maybe. This is how you piss off your long time clients... gamers. You can make money now. But i’ll never buy a new Nvidia card again if they pull this crap. 

I guess you better hope if intel releases a gaming card that its good. Cause AMD cant support its CPU and GPU business the way its needs. Right now AMD is focused on CPU's. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

They cant meet demand. We dont have the RAM. The RAM shortage is not going to end any time soon. They physically cant mine the material fast enough for demand. 

Erm, no. The issue is that they can't manufacture it fast enough with current infrastructure, and entirely new fabs take years to build. Demand spiked faster than the people planning out the build schedule thought it would.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Erm, no. The issue is that they can't manufacture it fast enough with current infrastructure, and entirely new fabs take years to build. Demand spiked faster than the people planning out the build schedule thought it would.

According to the AIB that contacted Jayztwocents its purely a RAM issue, and the issue is the current FABs could make more. They just cant get the materials they need.