NVIDIA could price the next-gen GeForce GTX 2080 at up to $1499 USD

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

First is bullshit they can stop it. What? You expect them to pull factories out their ass when new factories are currently being setup for the next gen? You realize that cost money right? They would lose millions for literally a temp fix. 

You're looking at this as a supply problem that needs to be fixed to meet demand.  I look at it as a supply management problem.  Nvidia can easily enforce controls on their supply chain that makes sure these things don't go to miners, but clearly they don't bother.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

it might not be "news" but selling a brand new faster card for less than the older slower card doesn't seem like good business sense

You guys are talking like they haven't done exactly that in the past. They usually sell a better performing card for cheaper every new generation. Am I missing something here that would indicate that they won't be doing the same thing they have always done this time?

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You're looking at this as a supply problem that needs to be fixed to meet demand.  I look at it as a supply management problem.  Nvidia can easily enforce controls on their supply chain that makes sure these things don't go to miners, but clearly they don't bother.

How would they ever know if it goes to a miner? They cant...same way you cant prove a card was being mined with. 

Good thing I only use laptops, otherwise this would really affect me. At this point I'm going to wait for a 8750h + 2070 laptop to go on sale for $1400 range like current 1070 laptops have been and then pick one up. Hopefully I can get a good deal on a GT73VR refresh.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

55 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You guys are talking like they haven't done exactly that in the past. They usually sell a better performing card for cheaper every new generation. Am I missing something here that would indicate that they won't be doing the same thing they have always done this time?

If you take inflation into account, then yes, it has been cheaper over time.

But if you don't inflation into account, then no. The launch flagship has been steadily getting more expensive over time. But it's also largely due to who was first in the "next generation."

14 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Good thing I only use laptops, otherwise this would really affect me. At this point I'm going to wait for a 8750h + 2070 laptop to go on sale for $1400 range like current 1070 laptops have been and then pick one up. Hopefully I can get a good deal on a GT73VR refresh.

These prices only affect the DIY market. You can still get prebuilt desktops from OEMs for the same price as before.

If you need a new system now and don't want to pay inflated prices, swallow your pride and buy a prebuilt system.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you take inflation into account, then yes, it has been cheaper over time.

But if you don't inflation into account, then no. The launch flagship has been steadily getting more expensive over time. But it's also largely due to who was first in the "next generation."

These prices only affect the DIY market. You can still get prebuilt desktops from OEMs for the same price as before.

If you need a new system now and don't want to pay inflated prices, swallow your pride and buy a prebuilt system.

I believe that prebuilt systems are going to start seeing the same types of price raises purely due to the massive gpu shortage if the stock on prebuilt systems starts dwindling like gpus and ram have been. On the other hand since the gaming sff systems and gaming laptops have been a niche for a long time, I figure that those types of systems will stay that way due to the fact that the large majority of them are using integrated solutions that are always in stock for as long as the systems themselves are in stock.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I kind of doubt it. A retail store is less likely to take on the inventory if there's that much of an increased risk. Interesting thought though. Who knows. I'm glad I enjoy hunting for used bargains and am largely unaffected by this :P

Cards will be sold out if the demand is there so I don't think there's an actual risk in buying expensive stock. It only becomes a problem if they can't sell them for whatever reason (eg too expensive or sudden increase in availability lowering the market price).

I do seem to recall some people working retail saying they're not making more money off of the mining craze (or maybe I should clarify that they're not making larger profits per product) indicating they were purchasing cards at inflated prices and obviously passing on the bill to consumers while taking their usual meager profit margin. But I think it depends on the retailer. I think locally that stores play fair due to a combination of fierce competition and strong regulation but I think American stores like Newegg don't mind taking a bigger piece of the pie than they usually do.

Of course don't quote me on this. I may be mixing stuff up in my mind.

1 minute ago, TheDankKoosh said:

I believe that prebuilt systems are going to start seeing the same types of price raises purely due to the massive gpu shortage if the stock on prebuilt systems starts dwindling like gpus and ram have been. On the other hand since the gaming sff systems and gaming laptops have been a niche for a long time, I figure that those types of systems will stay that way due to the fact that the large majority of them are using integrated solutions that are always in stock for as long as the systems themselves are in stock.

OEMs have direct access to manufacturers and can place orders ahead of time. So unless manufacturers start charging more, OEMs aren't going to be affected.

There is no massive GPU shortage other than the stock DIYers have access to.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

OEMs have direct access to manufacturers. So unless manufacturers start charging more, OEMs aren't going to be affected.

There is no massive GPU shortage other than the stock DIYers have access to.

I believe that manufacturers are going to start cutting off the supply lines of OEM machines altogether if they don't start selling out, if Nvidia or AMD feels like it they could just as easily start hoarding cards until they feel like re-releasing and them pump up MSRP by a couple hundred bucks. No one would be able to do anything, and they'd still sell out due to desperate people and miners.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

if cards make less than double but are more than double the price... miners aren't gonna buy them lol

ive seen plenty of 1080's for $580-620 recently.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

Rather than artificially hike the price, I suspect NVIDIA would rather keep the price the same and institute a strict "one card per person" rule, even if it means limiting where you can buy one.  I mean, that probably wouldn't stop some from coming back to the same store over and over, but at least you wouldn't have miners snapping up half of a small store's inventory in one shot.

That would hurt their bottom line though, so they won't do it :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

if cards make less than double but are more than double the price... miners aren't gonna buy them lol

ive seen plenty of 1080's for $580-620 recently.

Never underestimate the stupidity of someone who thinks they have a successful get rich quick scheme, I'm sure plenty of miners were buying $800-900 1080's just because they thought it was essentially a quick cash grab.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

Nvidia needs to do work to brick a card whenever it's used for mining. then release special edition mining cards so real gamers don't have to deal with artificial market bullshit.

1 minute ago, Selah said:

Nvidia needs to do work to brick a card whenever it's used for mining. then release special edition mining cards so real gamers don't have to deal with artificial market bullshit.

First, bricking a card is law suit territory. Second, they are supposedly working on blocking mining on the software side unless you have a subscription. Which is a good compromise. But depending on how much the subscription is, it might not even help. 

I highly doubt Nvidia will do this, they do not like the higher prices from mining. 

18 minutes ago, Selah said:

Special edition mining cards exist, miners don't use them since they can make extra money selling their mining cards to gamers. Also, Nvidia wouldn't be able to tell when a card is being used for mining unless they were spying on the user which is a serious breach of privacy.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

I highly doubt Nvidia will do this, they do not like the higher prices from mining. 

They do, but they just don't tell the average consumer, Nvidia is rolling in profits right now due to them. It's just the fact that 90% of consumers don't like the inflated prices from mining, so Nvidia acts like they care to cater to the consumers so they can shift the blame from themselves.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

Image result for doubt

Also nvidia doesn't gain profit from the inflated prices, its 3rd party sellers that do, they gain profit from the volume of said sales

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Oh please nvidia do this! AMD will sell their GPUs 100$ above normal price and they will sell new GPUs in one day :) AMD can always sell GPUs less then nvidia if this is true. There is so big realm in price that is less then 1500$. I am curious why do they even try to release new architecture. Release the same thing they still will sell quickly. I would release as much GPUs as i can if i were nvidia or amd. Profit that they can get from miners is so big. They would need 10-15 years to get the same profit from gamers and professionals.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

The idea that cards will cost that much is assanine. Look at what Nvidia has the MSRP set at. It's still low. The prices are high because of retailers, not manufacturers. They will make more money keeping their same pricing structure, because they will move more volume. That's extremely basic economics. 

TL;DR - This is a huge load of BS.

If it is down to the retailers only then why did Nvidia make record profits which can be linked to crypto mining?

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Special edition mining cards exist, miners don't use them since they can make extra money selling their mining cards to gamers. Also, Nvidia wouldn't be able to tell when a card is being used for mining unless they were spying on the user which is a serious breach of privacy.

The only way Nvidia can keep supply to the PC enthusiast market is make special mining cards and limit or detect mining at the GTX card driver level. Or gamers can stop buying used GPUs from the people admitting they mined on them. I wouldn't want a card that ran loaded 24/7 with dried thermal paste & pads and worn out fans.

2 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

They do, but they just don't tell the average consumer, Nvidia is rolling in profits right now due to them. It's just the fact that 90% of consumers don't like the inflated prices from mining, so Nvidia acts like they care to cater to the consumers so they can shift the blame from themselves.

Example being Nvidia gives bullshit PR that they're "doing everything they can to help gamers" while yeah they're just going to follow maximum profit even though PC enthusiasts & gamers are their most loyal consumers.

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Image result for doubt

Also nvidia doesn't gain profit from the inflated prices, its 3rd party sellers that do, they gain profit from the volume of said sales

That is why they love the "shortage", they love to sell as many cards as they can make, even if it means that they don't have any for all demographics that like to buy them, also they have been raising MSRP on their cards to make the extra profit.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If it is down to the retailers only then why did Nvidia make record profits which can be linked to crypto mining?

Volume. Higher prices aren't the only way you make more money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

26 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

You need to pay more attention to your economics class bud, the higher prices vastly decrease's the amount of volume being sold, so if before at $379 they could sell 200 units, now at $700 they can only sell 50 units, that paired with the already decreasing volume of sales of GPUs . Higher prices mean's fewer people can even afford the GPUs. It is basic economics. Wish people would stop being a conspisisy theorist and use logic for once.

22 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

also they have been raising MSRP on their cards to make the extra profit.

No, they did that due to ram prices being so high which was caused by phone manufacturers switching over using the same types of memory that they do

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'm glad with what's going on with the APU front because discrete graphics seems so expensive still.

I wonder if they could make a value oriented threadripper APU with like 6 CPU cores, an iGPU replacing 8 CPU cores and put built-in VRAM where the last two cores would go. Or something similar. The platform is expensive, but cutting out the HDMI royalties and the AIB middle-men would be a plus.