A grievance (edited)

sh0ck1ng
Message added by SansVarnic

If you are looking to comment;

1) keep it civil and on point.

2) this topic is monitored.

3) pointless remarks, sarcastic, name calling, and troll calling will be removed

This is the only warning.

18 hours ago, themattytacoboy said:

Networth takes in account all assets too though.  It does not mean he sits on a pile of $3m before he goes to bed every night.  

Also, radical thought here; Maybe some rando website can't magically calculate networth's because that's a very difficult thing to come up with without internal financial documentation.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Also, radical thought here; Maybe some rando website can't magically calculate networth's because that's a very difficult thing to come up with without internal financial documentation.

Another $0.02 to this conversation... ^nailed it^

There are a LOT net worth estimates out there for me and other YTers that I know. I'm not planning an honest answers about how much I or my team make (none of anyone's business), but I WILL say that I've never seen an estimate that's even close.

Some are following a rationale that seems okay on the surface, but they all make a LOT of assumptions and most of them might as well be guessing randomly.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Another $0.02 to this conversation... ^nailed it^

There are a LOT net worth estimates out there for me and other YTers that I know. I'm not planning an honest answers about how much I or my team make (none of anyone's business), but I WILL say that I've never seen an estimate that's even close.

Some are following a rationale that seems okay on the surface, but they all make a LOT of assumptions and most of them might as well be guessing randomly.

The big question is...

When are you going to upgrade to a 2010 Civic?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I would be okay with the advertising if it were more honest.

What I do have a problem with is when he makes a build video for a PC that young people with lower income and less knowledge of computers are watching and he equips all of his builds with 64 GB RAM of Corsair DominatorSuperPlus RAM as if it was a practical decision rather than a way to advertise to 17 year olds who want to feel like a sports car racer.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

On 2/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, minervx said:

I would be okay with the advertising if it were more honest.

What I do have a problem with is when he makes a build video for a PC that young people with lower income and less knowledge of computers are watching and he equips all of his builds with 64 GB RAM of Corsair DominatorSuperPlus RAM as if it was a practical decision rather than a way to advertise to 17 year olds who want to feel like a sports car racer.

Stupid kids gonna do stupid things. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, sh0ck1ng said:

The latest Intel laptop video is a fine example, anyone with a modicum of computer savvy will no doubt be aware of Intel and their backdoor and no amount of software patches are going to close that thing.

LTT's are openly pushing Intel laptops to get paid, completely omitting the fact Intel 6th, 7th & 8th Gen CPU's are not only a security liability but over-priced slabs of silicon. (I should know, I own a 6700 i7)

You're talking about a vulnerability that went unnoticed for over 20 years until it was discovered by a group of academics. A team that was compensated by Intel for their work.

Screenshot_20180209-121306.thumb.png.74be67c7a0c61f99906a66ea563dac51.png

I'm curious how you figure Intel chips are overpriced, especially considering the price competitiveness of the AMD alternative is subjective. And when that 6700 came out, there was no AMD alternative.

Seems more like you're angry because Linus works with a brand you don't like.

47 minutes ago, Apepa said:

I'm confused... I thought nVidia owned LMG and Linus' soul.

image.thumb.png.7c830efcde8ede4eb3ab7cfeca5d040e.png

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

4 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

I'm confused... I thought nVidia owned LMG and Linus' soul.

They do, but he still needs a CPU to run his 1080Tis :)

Or it could be that he favours an Intel/nVidia pairing because it's been the best high end combo for over 10 years straight, and the best value for money from 2011-2017.

3 hours ago, Apepa said:

Stupid kids gonna do stupid things. 

Okay, that's fine. But no one can honestly Linus isn't getting paid 6 figures to sell 18 year old kids on a lamborghini pc.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

20 minutes ago, minervx said:

Okay, that's fine. But no one can honestly Linus isn't getting paid 6 figures to sell 18 year old kids on a lamborghini pc.

As they frequently mention in their videos, the ones that feature OTT expensive builds or products get them the most views. Which, looking at my own viewing habits, I tend to agree with.

Exactly the same thing happened with Top Gear. When they restarted Top Gear in 2003 they reviewed a lot of everyday cars, but eventually they realised that doing crazy projects and playing with supercars was what made them popular. And since they were BBC, there was no sponsorship involved.

I see a lot of parallels with LTT and Top Gear.

2 hours ago, Apepa said:

You're talking about a vulnerability that went unnoticed for over 20 years until it was discovered by a group of academics.

Firstly I own an Intel i7 6700, so I am hardly angry and a hater, I could buy a Ryzen tomorrow, but why should I? this i7 is fast enough for my needs.

Secondly that vulnerability may be 20 years old, but just because it was not 'exploited' for 15 years does not make it somehow acceptable and an oversight.

This is at the hardware level and contrary to Intel and the wider community stating it's not an issue, it REALLY is. Proper tech people and security people know this, so just patch your system with a microcode update and a band-aid from M$, till the next time!

LTT is no longer what it used to be, i can agree with that. These days it's like top gear, entertaining stuff with tech but you don't learn much about the tech itself apart from what's on the spec sheet.

Honestly if you want really informative video's you'll need to look at channels like GamersNexus and Level1Tech. Proper testing, digging deep, investigating stuff, that's what they do. If that's what you want, those 2 channels are a good place to start.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

29 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Firstly I own an Intel i7 6700, so I am hardly angry and a hater, I could buy a Ryzen tomorrow, but why should I? this i7 is fast enough for my needs.

Secondly that vulnerability may be 20 years old, but just because it was not 'exploited' for 15 years does not make it somehow acceptable and an oversight.

This is at the hardware level and contrary to Intel and the wider community stating it's not an issue, it REALLY is. Proper tech people and security people know this, so just patch your system with a microcode update and a band-aid from M$, till the next time!

This vulnerability affects CPU designs from three different companies, with at least two of them affected at the hardware level, and it took a crack team of academic researchers to find it, 20 years after it was first introduced. To someone being objective (i.e. not in a fit of angry nerdrage),  a problem that difficult to find and exploit is an acceptable oversight. 

Intel paid a bounty to the researchers who found it, and are fixing it. You can't get angry at the company who sold you body armour because someone invented an armour piercing bullet.

As for it being unfixable because it's a hardware problem, I don't quite think you understand the relationship between hardware and software.

There's always a silly person on here claiming that Linus is a sellout. Awhile back, he made quite an amusing comment about it on the WAN Show: Nobody can agree on who he's selling out to! xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

All businesses have to cater to their market.   If you don't like the direction they go it's your choice to stop watching.   I personally preferred the more raw and down to earth stuff when Linus worked from his home garage and the live stream/live show stuff up until about half way through the content he was making in the second house.   Now days it seems to cater to the younger generations that like that sort of thing.  Which is fine, that's where the cash is and that's the only reason we have content to watch at all.  I now like to watch GN as it is simply like what the live show was.   They'll eventually change too because everyone does.  

At any rate, no point in getting sad because the nature of the beast says you can't have it all your own way.  Just find something else to watch.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, Apepa said:

As for it being unfixable because it's a hardware problem, I don't quite think you understand the relationship between hardware and software.

I am more than aware of of hardware interacts with software...

It appears you have have zero understanding of this if you believe Meltdown & Spectre are now 'fixed'

On 2/10/2018 at 3:10 AM, JoostinOnline said:

There's always a silly person on here claiming that Linus is a sellout. Awhile back, he made quite an amusing comment about it on the WAN Show: Nobody can agree on who he's selling out to! xD

Erm, OK.

LMG is selling out to whoever produces the checks.

LG $8000 monitor, Intel 2 x $20,000 Xeon chips and so on. It's hard to be subjective and impartial when companies are throwing you thousands of dollars of product, do you seriously think for one second if LMG had slated Intel they would ever receive $40,000 of chips to 'review'?

There really are some naive people on this forum, as I said before I worked in advertising for over 30 years, I know how the game is played and how Youtube has now become a cable TV channel for advertisers to exploit.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:40 AM, mr moose said:

All businesses have to cater to their market.   If you don't like the direction they go it's your choice to stop watching.   I personally preferred the more raw and down to earth stuff when Linus worked from his home garage and the live stream/live show stuff up until about half way through the content he was making in the second house.   Now days it seems to cater to the younger generations that like that sort of thing.  Which is fine, that's where the cash is and that's the only reason we have content to watch at all.  I now like to watch GN as it is simply like what the live show was.   They'll eventually change too because everyone does.  

At any rate, no point in getting sad because the nature of the beast says you can't have it all your own way.  Just find something else to watch.

I have unsubscribed,and LMG no longer gets any views or likes from me,  however I am still entitled to voice MY opinion

2 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

do you seriously think for one second if LMG had slated Intel they would ever receive $40,000 of chips to 'review'?

Well done, kid.

8 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

I am more than aware of of hardware interacts with software...

It appears you have have zero understanding of this if you believe Meltdown & Spectre are now 'fixed'

I said no such thing. 

It's fun to read things correctly, you should try it some time.

Just now, Apepa said:

Well done, kid.

I said no such thing. 

It's fun to read things correctly, you should try it some time.

Are you totally naive? You claim that you said no such thing, but you completely omitted that MD & Spectre are exploits that exploit both HW & SW.

13 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Are you totally naive? You claim that you said no such thing, but you completely omitted that MD & Spectre are exploits that exploit both HW & SW.

You really have a problem with people omitting things that don't need to be said, don't you? xDxD

2 hours ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Erm, OK.

LG $8000 monitor, Intel 2 x $20,000 Xeon chips and so on. It's hard to be subjective and impartial when companies are throwing you thousands of dollars of product, do you seriously think for one second if LMG had slated Intel they would ever receive $40,000 of chips to 'review'?

There really are some naive people on this forum, as I said before I worked in advertising for over 30 years, I know how the game is played and how Youtube has now become a cable TV channel for advertisers to exploit.

The reality is, there aren't any CPU's available that are immune to both Meltdown and Spectre. Unless he suggests nobody buy a computer, vulnerability (no matter how unlikely it is to affect you) is inevitable. You're also using circular reasoning to say he's selling out. 

But please, feel free to continue bringing up how working in advertising means that you know the financial details of LMG. xD

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Erm, OK.

How do you propose any reviewer stay in business if they have to spend their entire monthly revenue on hardware?

You do realise that nearly all mainstream reviews get the hardware they review for free?  You claim to have worked in advertising for 30 years and yet you think getting free samples is not widespread.  Hell, t.v review shows have been around for decades, if you think review segments pay for the products they review you are sadly mistaken,  And you have the nerve to call others naive. 

3 hours ago, sh0ck1ng said:

I have unsubscribed,and LMG no longer gets any views or likes from me,  however I am still entitled to voice MY opinion

No one said you weren't entitled to voice your opinion, There is a big difference between people responding to your opinion with a different opinion and being told you aren't allowed to voice yours.   You see, when you post an opinion on a forum open to the public, you are inviting everyone to talk about it.  If you don't want your opinions questioned or other opinions discussed then don't start threads.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just do what I do.  For serious hardware reviews when contemplating buying new parts I go to places like Gamers Nexus.  When I want to watch Tech-oriented entertainment, I go to LTT.  Linus videos are super entertaining regardless of what LMG is pushing with their ads etc.  Also love me some CSF!

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

18 hours ago, MegaTechPC said:

Just do what I do.  For serious hardware reviews when contemplating buying new parts I go to places like Gamers Nexus.  When I want to watch Tech-oriented entertainment, I go to LTT.  Linus videos are super entertaining regardless of what LMG is pushing with their ads etc.  Also love me some CSF!

I don't know exactly what LMG describes themselves as, but I wouldn't consider them as a review business.  They occasionally review stuff (giving what I'd consider very honest and critical reviews), but that doesn't seem to be the main focus.  Do I always agree with their reviews?  No.  That doesn't mean that they're necessarily wrong.  Having differing opinions doesn't mean one person is being paid.

It's both funny and sad how people project their personality onto LMG.  "I worked in advertising for years so I know he's selling out" means "everyone else must be as biased as me."

9 minutes ago, Keith W said:

Even advertising agencies need a cleaner :D

The Synchrotron in Melbourne was advertising for a cleaner/maintaince bloke back when I was in my 20's.  The actual job title was building technician. I nearly applied simply so I could tell everyone I was a technician at the scynchrotron. 

I don't get these threads, everyone knows they are shills, that's why we all love them

imageproxy.jpg