A grievance (edited)

sh0ck1ng
Message added by SansVarnic

If you are looking to comment;

1) keep it civil and on point.

2) this topic is monitored.

3) pointless remarks, sarcastic, name calling, and troll calling will be removed

This is the only warning.

I feel I needed to join up to the forum to air a 'personal' grievance,
Firstly let me say I have been a fan of Linus for many, many years, he is a lovable character who possesses a wealth of knowledge and imparts this knowledge with impartially.

At least that was how I perceived him, recently LTT's has become another YT corporate, happy to push any product for the pay cheque.
The latest Intel laptop video is a fine example, anyone with a modicum of computer savvy will no doubt be aware of Intel and their backdoor and no amount of software patches are going to close that thing.

LTT's are openly pushing Intel laptops to get paid, completely omitting the fact Intel 6th, 7th & 8th Gen CPU's are not only a security liability but over-priced slabs of silicon. (I should know, I own a 6700 i7)

Linus from 4 years ago would have torn Intel a 'new one' but now he is happy to facilitate them to get a pay cheque whilst not informing the viewers of the security issues.

I once had huge respect for Linus, the Linus Media Group has become yet another YT advetiser, no longer concerned with consumers and enthusiasts, but more concerned with getting paid (as evidenced by the latest video).

It's rather sad to see Linus go down this path, although I guess it's inevitable, when you have this many subscribers, views and a huge audience.

Thanks for some great videos Linus, but I will not be watching any more. I have unsubscribed and you'll no longer be getting a thumbs-up from me on every video.

Get back to what you once did best, impartial reviews and informative videos.
Blatant misleading infomercials will ultimately be LTT's demise.
It's a dark road to go down if you deviate from what gained you this status.
But hey, I'm but one viewer, and you'll still be getting paid, so ignore me and my opinion I guess. :)

Nearly everybody knows about the security flaws, and if they don't, they're living under a rock. Besides, we already know the 6000 and 7000 series were overpriced.

You know what's not overpriced though? Tunnelbear.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

My arguments:

1. He has bills & employees to pay & a family to support.

2. Not every single video LMG puts out is a advert for a product. They still make plenty of videos where a company didn't pay them to make it.

3. Just don't watch the advert (review) videos.

I'll admit though if he had some sponsors paying him to review network/server equipment I could get into that. Maybe projects involving said equipment. He hasn't done that in a while. Last one I remember was the 2.5" NVMe SSD 2U server. I know Intel threw those SSD's at him and I think the server was provided too but I wish I could afford to buy that stuff. I want a 24TB+ FULL SOLID STATE NVMe server.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

My arguments:

1. He has bills & employees to pay & a family to support.

2. Not every single video LMG puts out is a advert for a product. They still make plenty of videos where a company didn't pay them to make it.

3. Just don't watch the advert (review) videos.

I'll admit though if he had some sponsors paying him to review network/server equipment I could get into that. Maybe projects involving said equipment. He hasn't done that in a while. Last one I remember was the 2.5" NVMe SSD 2U server. I know Intel threw those SSD's at him and I think the server was provided too but I wish I could afford to buy that stuff. I want a 24TB+ FULL SOLID STATE NVMe server.

Just gonna jump in real quick here - bought those SSDs ;)

By the way, I have found that GamersNexus makes very unbiased reviews, they're my go-to reviewer for hardware these days.

I think it's important that we know what LTT do. They're not Tomshardware or GN. LMG has been focusing on the educational entertainment kind of content, rather than actually being a reviewer (though they do make some reviews). I'm really fond of the Holy S#!T episodes especially when it's something as insane as a (relatively) cold fusion reactor. For really in-depth reviews and performance benchmarks, you should look elsewhere because that's not the main focus of LTT now.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Not sure I agree with the rant here, Linus has many times made note that yes he does paid videos but does that stop him from giving his honest opinion? no it doesnt in the slightest. Anyone remember the talk in the rain? Linus really tore into Intel about its behavior on the x299 stuff so .....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Just gonna jump in real quick here - bought those SSDs ;)

I stand corrected...still wish I could afford that...

Just now, Windows7ge said:

When it's a business expense it's easier to afford things because you know they're gonna pay for themselves :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

When it's a business expense it's easier to afford things because you know they're gonna pay for themselves :)

Fair argument. I buy overkill hardware (not Linus level of overkill but consumer level of overkill) for my networking and desktop projects knowing full well they're beyond what I'll ever utilize. Speaking of, still waiting for the Ubiquiti US-16-XG-US to get back in stock. Papa wants 20Gbit networking even though he's not 100% sure his hardware will support it.

I think it's a pretty simple question you have to ask yourself. Do you believe Linus would lie to his following about a product in exchange for payment/compensation? I don't know him personally, but I think he's probably smart enough to know that getting caught doing so means you don't get to keep your following for very long. He probably has more integrity than that, just judging by his candid feedback towards hardware manufacturers in the past. 

On 2/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, HOOTSMON said:

-snip-

Random noncontributing comments/replies with zero helpfulness usually gets marked and removed as spam B| esp. if it comes off as sarcastic :| 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

Yep! watched it 2 days ago when a mate came round. Its really weird. 

Also weird my first comment of "have you tried tunnelbear" to this post has been deleted...

Of what I recall from the movie I liked it. Austin Powers was also pretty good.

Eh, I don't think that's what OP was arguing anyways. Gotta make money somehow and OP was acting like LMG turned into some sellout company when it's nowhere close to that. <removed> 

Edited by SansVarnic

Lets avoid name calling ...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Intel wouldn't provide Intel 750 SSDs for that type of project, they are the 'wrong kind' and not suited to large arrays like Linus is using them for. Intel has an entire range of enterprise SSDs which they would provide those if the were partnering with such a project, though they cost multiple times more than the Intel 750's that were used.

It's a rather interesting issue for LTT, some things look like they are sponsorship when they are not. Usually @LinusTech is pretty upfront when something is sponsored and when it is not. Another issue is when you see something in a video that is sponsored, i.e. Supermicro Server, but other components are not as it gives the impression everything in the video is sponsored. 

It is certianly getting more and more like an ad, but you can only get so much money from YouTube and Linus needs to keep his employees employed and keep their standard of living high.

I think its fair to say if Linus makes a video a day, a lot of it will be sponsored. It takes a lot to produce high quality (Apart from puns and jokes >:( ) every day. If you tune in once a week like many TV shows its not so bad and you can filter through.

4 hours ago, sh0ck1ng said:

The latest Intel laptop video is a fine example, anyone with a modicum of computer savvy will no doubt be aware of Intel and their backdoor and no amount of software patches are going to close that thing.

This has been covered in depth in a few threads recently, and it may have been touched on here, but I would just like to point something out:

It hasn't fully been proven whether or not other processors are vulnerable to both Meltdown and/or Spectre. As far as we know, Ryzen hasn't even been third party tested for Spectre vulnerability yet.

Now why did I say that?

Because these security issues apply to almost every processor in existence (including certain versions of ARM). It is not just Intels problem, and Intel's action of trying to continue to exist even though they made a mistake in the past is not wrong. To quote a favorite movie of mine: "Is it negligence if 100% of a company's work is not without error? After 20 years in the Experimental Aviation industry I can tell you that that standard is just not achievable, so no, I do not think that North American's actions were negligent."

Intel should not be condemned to death because they made a mistake, whilst we simultaneously allow numerous other companies off the hook simply because they had a better damage control team. In addition to that, Spectre and Meltdown are going to be an issue in new processors for atleast 5 years. Therefore, Linus should not be condemned for advertising what is actually a pretty nice product, even if it is a little overpriced.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

It hasn't fully been proven whether or not other processors are vulnerable to both Meltdown and/or Spectre. As far as we know, Ryzen hasn't even been third party tested for Spectre vulnerability yet.

Off topic so don't take this too far but you think Intel discovered and released the news about Meltdown and Spectre? No it was independent research (i.e. 3rd party) by multiple universities and AMD processors including Ryzen was tested, should go read the technical papers released by those researchers for full details and it's rather complicated ordeal (too complicated for this thread).

Just now, leadeater said:

Off topic so don't take this too far but you think Intel discovered and released the news about Meltdown and Spectre? No it was independent research (i.e. 3rd party) by multiple universities and AMD processors including Ryzen was tested, should go each out the technical papers released by those researchers for full details and it's rather complicated ordeal (too complicated for this thread).

Some of this is not correct. There still hasn't been a white paper release detailing whether or not Ryzen is definitely affected or definitely not affected. The same story for certain ARM variants. To further complicate matters, AMD is acting like they aren't sure themselves. Saying that they probably aren't, and then releasing patches to fix the problems anyway. That's as far as I'm going to go on this thread, as far as I'm concerned there is no need for me to reply again at all.

However, I knew I was playing fire when I posted the above. I only posted it to reply to the OPs comments that any product Intel makes is terrible simply because of Metldown and Spectre, and that by extension Linus is terrible for not condemning Intel.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

Some of this is not correct. There still hasn't been a white paper release detailing whether or not Ryzen is definitely affected or definitely not affected. The same story for certain ARM variants. To further complicate matters, AMD is acting like they aren't sure themselves. Saying that they probably aren't, and then releasing patches to fix the problems anyway. That's as far as I'm going to go on this thread, as far as I'm concerned there is no need for me to reply again at all.

However, I knew I was playing fire when I posted the above. I only posted it to reply to the OPs comments that any product Intel makes is terrible simply because of Metldown and Spectre, and that by extension Linus is terrible for not condemning Intel.

No but the point is equal testing of Intel processors and AMD processors was conducted and that is all the information we have right now. I find it misleading to say AMD processors have not been 3rd party tested when they were, originally. Further research is required, for both.

Also there is nothing wrong with stating you probably are not effected but still releasing a patch to make the product more protected, to not do so is over confidence while doing so is just diligence.

When I want heavy fact based reviews I go for different sources or if its older than old LTT reviews. Level 1 tech is so dense and is about as unbias as I have seen.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 hours ago, sh0ck1ng said:

-

Its well known what LTT is doing. I wish he'd also stop doing the dumb faces on the thumbnails.

Whats your thoughts on Tunnelbear VPN and Linus? xDxD

Linus needs to milk every penny he can, while the gettin' is good.

I noticed the 8GB RAM ENOUGH vid, I mean now its just getting ridiculous. Theres only a certain number of videos you can do before you start looking wonky. Whats next a vid on IS 6GB ENOUGH GPU.

Love the warning at the top of the page, Ive been called that by $member

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

sell the other 57.5gb of ram that you never use then you can jk

edit: this will probably get deleted by mods, sorry just realized that its a kinda pointless comment

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Another issue is when you see something in a video that is sponsored, i.e. Supermicro Server, but other components are not as it gives the impression everything in the video is sponsored. 

Assumptions based on association. My memory is questionable but off the top of my head Linus has always been pretty good at announcing what items were provided by companies for his projects but people love jumping to conclusions without thinking it through. Personally I assume what isn't announced as provided he provided himself unless I know the unmentioned equipment was provided when used in a previous video.