A grievance (edited)

sh0ck1ng
Message added by SansVarnic

If you are looking to comment;

1) keep it civil and on point.

2) this topic is monitored.

3) pointless remarks, sarcastic, name calling, and troll calling will be removed

This is the only warning.

13 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Its well known what LTT is doing. I wish he'd also stop doing the dumb faces on the thumbnails.

Whats your thoughts on Tunnelbear VPN and Linus? xDxD

Linus needs to milk every penny he can, while the gettin' is good.

I noticed the 8GB RAM ENOUGH vid, I mean now its just getting ridiculous. Theres only a certain number of videos you can do before you start looking wonky. Whats next a vid on IS 6GB ENOUGH GPU.

Love the warning at the top of the page, Ive been called that by $member

That's a poor example. The 8GB RAM question is legitimate. With memory prices as high as they are right now people shouldn't be allocating more than they need to memory in their builds. There is a lot of misinformation out there about what speed and how much memory you need, so I appreciate the video and I'm sure a lot of people probably found it helpful.

I would be interested in a VRAM video. There was a lot of negativity around the 3GB 1060 when it was first announced...I've seen people suggest the 1050 Ti over the 1060 3GB just because it has an extra Gigabyte of memory, which is incredibly dumb IMO. When prices started to go up last year all of the sudden a lot of people's tunes changed and we saw a lot of recommendations for the 3GB 1060 since the 6GB model was hard to find at MSRP.

As for the thumbnails...not sure why people care. It's such a small thing.

LTT has a new business strategy:

option 1: send us the review product free and we will review honestly. Mentioned tunnel bear for advertisement.

option 2: send us a review product free and pay us a stipend so we don’t review negativitly. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstisment.

option 3: send us a review product free and pay us more to review positivity. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstiment:

option 4: send us a review product and pay us shit tons more and you get to author our entire script for your product review. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstisment.

In case of no review, let’s just review tunnel bear for adverstisment.

okay, now to be serious, I watched mostly none review LTT videos. For reviews, there are much better tech channels out there

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:44 AM, Gaming_Groove said:

That's a poor example. The 8GB RAM question is legitimate. With memory prices as high as they are right now people shouldn't be allocating more than they need to memory in their builds. There is a lot of misinformation out there about what speed and how much memory you need, so I appreciate the video and I'm sure a lot of people probably found it helpful.

I would be interested in a VRAM video. There was a lot of negativity around the 3GB 1060 when it was first announced...I've seen people suggest the 1050 Ti over the 1060 3GB just because it has an extra Gigabyte of memory, which is incredibly dumb IMO. When prices started to go up last year all of the sudden a lot of people's tunes changed and we saw a lot of recommendations for the 3GB 1060 since the 6GB model was hard to find at MSRP.

As for the thumbnails...not sure why people care. It's such a small thing.

I agree re: the physical RAM point, most people, especially gamers will see no benefit from 16GB or 32GB over 8GB, with DDR4 currently over £160 for 16GB then stick with 8GB and go up a model on the GPU with that £80 saved.

You can always upgrade to 16GB when the prices drop.

When I built this machine I paid £80 for 16GB, (June 2016) it's now double the price for the same amount.

You  make a good point regard memory speed, 7th Gen only officially supports 2133mhz and 8th gen 2400, faster ram is only required for overclocking - end of.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:07 AM, Eaglerino said:

Linus of 4 years ago - what about this Linus?

That's a very valid post!

20 hours ago, wasab said:

LTT has a new business strategy:

option 1: send us the review product free and we will review honestly. Mentioned tunnel bear for advertisement.

option 2: send us a review product free and pay us a stipend so we don’t review negativitly. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstisment.

option 3: send us a review product free and pay us more to review positivity. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstiment:

option 4: send us a review product and pay us shit tons more and you get to author our entire script for your product review. Mentioned tunnel bear for adverstisment.

In case of no review, let’s just review tunnel bear for adverstisment.

okay, now to be serious, I watched mostly none review LTT videos. For reviews, there are much better tech channels out there

@LinusTech I don't think this is true, at least I hope not, can you confirm?

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

59 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

@LinusTech I don't think this is true, at least I hope not, can you confirm?

No, I have no evidences. Just some slight suspicion. It is unlikely Linus is paid to review positivitly but he is still human so he might have bias against certain product/brand.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Seriously? Linus MG is a business, their sole raison d'etre is to generate profit, why would they be unlike any other business?

If you ran a business and Intel said to you " Here's $15,000, can you put out a review video for damage limitation regarding Meltdown & Spectre?" - what would you do? respectfully decline? I doubt it very much.

Now that's not me having a go at Linus or Linus MG, it's the way of business, and Youtube channels with huge followings are now the target for advertisers.

I guess that was the main point of this thread when I started it.

People need to be aware that the big YT channels are now being paid to advertise, so can you really believe the reviews and videos they produce? They are paid for advertorials, infomercials etc.

See, you all think that this stuff should be flawless.  Meanwhile yesterday, I'm working VFX on a TV series that airs on a 'Big Three' network, and in my shot I find both a boom mic with a dead cat on it move through the shot and near the end a tripod falls over from behind a car.  Client didn't pay us to remove those from the footage so they shall remain.

1 hour ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Seriously? Linus MG is a business, their sole raison d'etre is to generate profit, why would they be unlike any other business?

If you ran a business and Intel said to you " Here's $15,000, can you put out a review video for damage limitation regarding Meltdown & Spectre?" - what would you do? respectfully decline? I doubt it very much.

Now that's not me having a go at Linus or Linus MG, it's the way of business, and Youtube channels with huge followings are now the target for advertisers.

I guess that was the main point of this thread when I started it.

People need to be aware that the big YT channels are now being paid to advertise, so can you really believe the reviews and videos they produce? They are paid for advertorials, infomercials etc.

its called journalistic ethics and disclosure

https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

See, you all think that this stuff should be flawless.  Meanwhile yesterday, I'm working VFX on a TV series that airs on a 'Big Three' network, and in my shot I find both a boom mic with a dead cat on it move through the shot and near the end a tripod falls over from behind a car.  Client didn't pay us to remove those from the footage so they shall remain.

now that's quality TV! :P

OT tough: i definitely feel like the content has changed, but not necesarily in a bad way.

back in the day LMG also did lots of fun stuff. they never really where purely a review channel imo. they always had some form of entertainment in their vids.

as already mentioned, Gamers Nexus or simillar channels still do pure, unbiased reviews. but in the end of it all, LMG is about entertaining the viewer, and their current model works.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:22 AM, AshleyAshes said:

That reply is pathetic, if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, then may I heartily request you no longer add such retarded nonsense.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:29 AM, Thermosman said:

its called journalistic ethics and disclosure

https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

Thank you for actually taking the time to impart something relevant to the debate, however, the link you supplied is merely a load of babble-speak.

Does Linus MG adhere to those (frankly pointless ) ethics? It's easy to post a link citing what you 'do', it's harder to actually implement and adhere to those ethics.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, RollinLower said:

now that's quality TV! :P

OT tough: i definitely feel like the content has changed, but not necesarily in a bad way.

back in the day LMG also did lots of fun stuff. they never really where purely a review channel imo. they always had some form of entertainment in their vids.

as already mentioned, Gamers Nexus or simillar channels still do pure, unbiased reviews. but in the end of it all, LMG is about entertaining the viewer, and their current model works.

Linus can easily entertain the viewer, and still impart good technical knowledge.(which he used to do)

I have no preference for any other YT channel, Nexus Gamers, JawyzTwocents, Barnaleus Nerdgasm and so on, Hell, I do not even have a YT subscription any more.

I am only interested in watching videos that are informative, which is second-hand knowledge (usually paid-for) , I can then take this information and make-up my own mind regarding any purchase.

26 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Thank you for actually taking the time to impart something relevant to the debate, however, the link you supplied is merely a load of babble-speak.

Does Linus MG adhere to those (frankly pointless ) ethics? It's easy to post a link citing what you 'do', it's harder to actually implement and adhere to those ethics.

they say that they do in this video here: (well they say that they don't do paid reviews, don't actually cite ethics)

if this is untrue, then I don't know what to trust :|

26 minutes ago, sh0ck1ng said:

That reply is pathetic, if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, then may I heartily request you no longer add such retarded nonsense.

It's quite constructive.  The reality is that video and film production be it for broadcast, film, or web, has time and cost constraints.  You can demand perfection but deadlines are deadlines so imperfections happen.

I understand that you won't be happy with any reply that isn't Linus saluting you and saying 'Yes sir, right away sir!' but that's unlikely to happen.

1 hour ago, Thermosman said:

they say that they do in this video here: (well they say that they don't do paid reviews, don't actually cite ethics)

if this is untrue, then I don't know what to trust :|

http://nairobiwire.com/2016/11/linus-tech-tips-net-worth.html

By this website investigation, Linus is actually doing very well for himself. Although the fact his height is only 5"6 is very surprising... thought he was taller.

That was back in 2015 and who knows how much more he is getting from sponsors and advertisers.

Edit: He is apparently at 3m+ net worth 

http://naibuzz.com/much-money-linus-tech-tips-makes-youtube/

Edited by wasab
See the above

Sudo make me a sandwich 

LMG's large growth is thanks in part to the sponsered content (which I should mention he always discloses). The ad-revenue alone is not enough to sustain an actual entertainment media company, especially not now due to the advertisement changes that Youtube has made.

You also run out of things to review since only so many products get released each quarter, and since you're essentially asking them not to take review samples, they would have to buy everything which would get very costly. Even a lot of the other channels that are considered hallmark review channels are expanding into more entertainment based video because they need to put out content regularly to actually make any decent amount of money.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, wasab said:

http://nairobiwire.com/2016/11/linus-tech-tips-net-worth.html

By this website investigation, Linus is actually doing very well for himself. Although the fact his height is only 5"6 is very surprising... thought he was taller.

That was back in 2015 and who knows how much more he is getting from sponsors and advertisers.

Edit: He is apparently at 3m+ net worth 

http://naibuzz.com/much-money-linus-tech-tips-makes-youtube/

Networth takes in account all assets too though.  It does not mean he sits on a pile of $3m before he goes to bed every night.  

1 hour ago, themattytacoboy said:

Networth takes in account all assets too though.  It does not mean he sits on a pile of $3m before he goes to bed every night.  

What’s the difference? His studio, house, car, computer equipments and even stock ownerships ARE his piles of cash which he sits on :D

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

LMG's large growth is thanks in part to the sponsered content (which I should mention he always discloses). The ad-revenue alone is not enough to sustain an actual entertainment media company, especially not now due to the advertisement changes that Youtube has made.

You also run out of things to review since only so many products get released each quarter, and since you're essentially asking them not to take review samples, they would have to buy everything which would get very costly. Even a lot of the other channels that are considered hallmark review channels are expanding into more entertainment based video because they need to put out content regularly to actually make any decent amount of money.

I am not saying he takes bribes from sponsors but he certainly can rely on adverstisment, which he discloses, for revenues rather than relying too much on sponsorship for reviewing a product.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 minutes ago, wasab said:

I am not saying he takes bribes from sponsors but he certainly can rely on adverstisment, which he discloses, for revenues rather than relying too much on sponsorship for reviewing a product.

Why should he though? You're assuming it's creating bias without any evidence.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

49 minutes ago, wasab said:

What’s the difference? His studio, house, car, computer equipments and even stock ownerships ARE his piles of cash which he sits on :D

car????

Image result for LTT CARTHIS IS HIS CAR

On 2/7/2018 at 2:25 PM, AshleyAshes said:

-snip-

I am not angry at all, I may be slightly aggrieved, (by your interjection in this thread) but that does not equate to being angry.

Can we kiss and make-up? :)

On 2/7/2018 at 5:02 PM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Why should he though? You're assuming it's creating bias without any evidence.

If you naively think a business will not be open to funded bias, then you really have no idea how business works and more importantly how  advertising works.

I worked in advertising for many years, we would have given our left testicle to have a YT channel to target adverts at back in 1998.

We had a budget for the year and it was generally pushed to TV adverts, that's ok, but to push a TV adverts means you are not targetting 100% of your demographic, it's wasted money, however, by targetting YT channels you already have your demographic, why would an ad agency spend £2 million on a tv advert that may reach 2% of their demographic when they can spend $50,000 on a YT channel which has over 5 million subscribers and are essentially their demographic?

You do not need to be Einstein to work that out, create a tv advert which may hit 2% of your demographic from 300,00 million tv viewers for $2 Million or spend $50,000 to target 5 million people who are clearly your demographic, as evidenced by LTT subscribers.

Let us not forget, in a recent video Linus was sent 2 x Xeon $20,000 chips from Intel, I guess Intel did that out of pure kindness, nothing to do with a contract is it lol

If you naively think a business will not be open to funded bias, then you really have no idea how business works and more importantly how  advertising works.

I worked in advertising for many years, we would have given our left testicle to have a YT channel to target adverts at back in 1998.

We had a budget for the year and it was generally pushed to TV adverts, that's ok, but to push a TV adverts means you are not targetting 100% of your demographic, it's wasted money, however, by targetting YT channels you already have your demographic, why would an ad agency spend £2 million on a tv advert that may reach 2% of their demographic when they can spend $50,000 on a YT channel which has over 5 million subscribers and are essentially their demographic?

You do not need to be Einstein to work that out, create a tv advert which may hit 2% of your demographic from 300,00 million tv viewers for $2 Million or spend $50,000 to target 5 million people who are clearly your demographic, as evidenced by LTT subscribers.

It appears there are some clearly delusional people on this forum...

Anecdotal.

For the record, I don't watch LTT but I don't see proper reasoning as to why they should gimp themselves purposefully.

Let us not forget, in a recent video Linus was sent 2 x Xeon $20,000 chips from Intel, I guess Intel did that out of pure kindness, nothing to do with a contract is it lol

he had a video or part of a moving vlog a good while back explaining and being open about it. Stuff like that 20k chips. he typically is sent on the agreement they will be featured in X amount of videos.( Not reviewed)  He at the time was talking about the 6 like Titan cards for his editing rigs made a video of them all building there own computer and then another about something else. but a lot of the smaller stuff is just sent to them and the companies are just hoping he makes a video with it or part of a product launch send out.  and then you have the Sponsored Videos which are usually labeled directly as such. 

On 2/5/2018 at 2:51 PM, sh0ck1ng said:

I feel I needed to join up to the forum to air a 'personal' grievance,
Firstly let me say I have been a fan of Linus for many, many years, he is a lovable character who possesses a wealth of knowledge and imparts this knowledge with impartially.

At least that was how I perceived him, recently LTT's has become another YT corporate, happy to push any product for the pay cheque.
The latest Intel laptop video is a fine example, anyone with a modicum of computer savvy will no doubt be aware of Intel and their backdoor and no amount of software patches are going to close that thing.

LTT's are openly pushing Intel laptops to get paid, completely omitting the fact Intel 6th, 7th & 8th Gen CPU's are not only a security liability but over-priced slabs of silicon. (I should know, I own a 6700 i7)

Linus from 4 years ago would have torn Intel a 'new one' but now he is happy to facilitate them to get a pay cheque whilst not informing the viewers of the security issues.

I once had huge respect for Linus, the Linus Media Group has become yet another YT advetiser, no longer concerned with consumers and enthusiasts, but more concerned with getting paid (as evidenced by the latest video).

It's rather sad to see Linus go down this path, although I guess it's inevitable, when you have this many subscribers, views and a huge audience.

Thanks for some great videos Linus, but I will not be watching any more. I have unsubscribed and you'll no longer be getting a thumbs-up from me on every video.

Get back to what you once did best, impartial reviews and informative videos.
Blatant misleading infomercials will ultimately be LTT's demise.
It's a dark road to go down if you deviate from what gained you this status.
But hey, I'm but one viewer, and you'll still be getting paid, so ignore me and my opinion I guess. :)

Every youtuber gets accused of this at some point so I really don't give into these sorts of things.

I still get lots of great advice and content from Linus Media Group regardless of the ads and if they help make creating that content possible, then I'm okay with that.

If you don't like ads, just ignore them and watch the actual reviews or the fun stuff like scrapyard wars.

They're a business that has to make money in order to stay afloat so I understand why they need ads.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, wasab said:

Right, but how much of it is liquid? All $3mil could be tied up in assets and he has no liquid cash so he's eating toast for dinner and driving a pink Honda.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Every youtuber gets accused of this at some point so I really don't give into these sorts of things.

I still get lots of great advice and content from Linus Media Group regardless of the ads and if they help make creating that content possible, then I'm okay with that.

If you don't like ads, just ignore them and watch the actual reviews or the fun stuff like scrapyard wars.

Right? I love that people expect these videos to be made in a fashion that requires it to be a full-time job but the people making them to have no viable means of income.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Honestly that's not what I've been seeing, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a rant on intel's security problems every time LMG review a product. They have talked about it in a few videos and it would be unfair to just refuse to review a product or ignore its qualities because of a single downside that their audience most likely already knows about.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*