"ATM jackpotting" has reached the US, over one million US dollars are stolen

managing finances and security (poll is private)  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an ATM card to withdraw money?

• Yes
    • No, I withdraw money over the counter inside a commercial bank or a credit union
    • No, I save, hide and manage my own money
    • All of my transactions are electronic. No physical cash needed.
  2. 2. Have you experienced any problem with an ATM/cash point before

• Never had any problems with an ATM before
    • No because I don't use an ATM
    • Yes (card captured, card skimming, identity theft, etc)
  3. 3. Do you use online banking to manage your finances?

• Yes
    • No because I fear about hacking
    • No because I don't have any bank accounts or any third party to manage my finances

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Fees for cash withdrawal outside of the bank's on ATM are still way too high. Sometimes you have ta pay $5 US equivalent to withdraw any amount of money at the grocery store.

What??!! lmao.

When I go to any ATM in town all the ATMs say "FREE CASH WITHDRAWAL" and some of them specify "You will not be charged for withdrawing cash from your debit card".

And I could even avoid withdrawing from an ATM and ask for cash back at the till when I'm paying for something.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's getting harder to find people that only take cash nowadays.  Even the junior footy club here has a mobile eftpos machine. 

Yup. Definitely. Most places do accept card now in my experience although I do ocassionally run into places which do just cash but those are mainly street food vendors.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

So uhh... Why isn't 'I pay for goods electronically almost exclusively' an option here?

We cant all be hipsters. I have to use cash for many things like currency exchange, FaceBook buy/sell and parking. Its still pretty hard to be cashless these days. You can often still get a better deal if you pay in cash too.

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Fees for cash withdrawal outside of the bank's on ATM are still way too high. Sometimes you have ta pay $5 US equivalent to withdraw any amount of money at the grocery store.

This is a big suprise to see because there are no such fees in NZ unless you use another Bank's ATMs - and its only $0.75 USD to do so.

Beh, can't answer to the poll as none of the choices are what I do :P.

- No, about a fifth of the total British Smackeroons I have is in cash form while the other 4/5 is in my debit card meaning I never have to withdraw money from an ATM. I mean I've only ever used my card once to buy something in a physical store, for the 6-7 years I've had it. If we're talking about Japanese rupees then all of it is in cash form. 

- Does an ATM breaking down and eating one of my cards count? It wasn't hijacked or anything but it was just very poorly maintained (at least the bank was still open so an employee promptly opened it up and gave my card back). 

- I would but I keep locking myself out of my online banking account as for some bizzare reason, the personal code and password seems to change themselves (or I'm just unable to enter them correctly). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

That sucks. For the most part, withdrawing from the same bank is free and interbanking fee is only 20 cents per transaction. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

ometimes you have ta pay $5 US equivalent to withdraw any amount of money at the grocery store.

Those are the ATM's you have to be careful with. Because people put skimmers on them and cameras to get your pin. Which is why I dont use ATM's. Its almost better to go inside the bank and save your self the trouble. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

And when I say bank, I mean the generic term. As a consumer, I prefer credit unions.

most credit unions are way better than most banks. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

wasn't there a tech quickie video on this some time ago?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

11 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I know, right? It's a smaller building with only two washers and two dryers, so I think that whichever third party runs and maintains them feels that the infrastructure for the those typical card systems isn't worth it.  It's a 95 year old apartment building too so I'd not be surprised if wiring up the card hardware would ALSO need telecom cabling to be run and they're just all 'Screw it'

Ahhh yes that makes sense. The only older building I lived in was a warehouse loft, but it was completely redone and had insuite laundry.

Still that'd be such a pain in the ass. Is it expensive though? I've seen such wide spreads for laundry pricing.

You don't find issues powering your electronics with a building that old?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Ahhh yes that makes sense. The only older building I lived in was a warehouse loft, but it was completely redone and had insuite laundry.

Still that'd be such a pain in the ass. Is it expensive though? I've seen such wide spreads for laundry pricing.

You don't find issues powering your electronics with a building that old?

Well... None of my outlets have ground outside of the kitchen so that's a pain. :P  (The power was somewhat redone and you can see where a fusebox once was in a closet but now there's a breaker box in the kitchen behind a cabinate)

But honesty, I like the building, it's kinda, well 'plain' mostly which I like over the walls of windows that newer apartments and condos offer.  The old time steam radiators are also fun.  Oh and it's in Toronto and I can never move because of the benefits of rent control. 

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well... None of my outlets have ground outside of the kitchen so that's a pain. :P  (The power was somewhat redone and you can see where a fusebox once was in a closet but now there's a breaker box in the kitchen behind a cabinate)

But honesty, I like the building, it's kinda, well 'plain' mostly which I like over the walls of windows that newer apartments and condos offer.  The old time steam radiators are also fun.  Oh and it's in Toronto and I can never move because of the benefits of rent control. 

Haha, yeah my grandma's place was like that as well. Older buildings do have a lot of charm to them though don't they?

I looooved the exposed brick walls and solid beams that were in my Yaletown place.

Rent control? Is that a bad thing?

In Van you don't move because once you find a place you hold on for dear life :P Definitely not looking forward to the hunt next summer.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Rent control? Is that a bad thing?

In Van you don't move because once you find a place you hold on for dear life :P Definitely not looking forward to the hunt next summer.

Oh no, rent control in itself is a good thing, in Ontario a tenant's rent can only be increased at a percentage rate each year, set by the government.  This rate is mostly at the rate of inflation.  Keep in mind that a NEW tenant can be charged any NEW rate, it's just how much you can jack it up once they live there.  This is Toronto so property rates are skyrocketing.  As an example, according to the listing, a NEW tenant in my building would pay $300/mo more than what I pay.  ...So if I ever move, I could pay a lot more per month for not much more apartment.  The smartest move is to never leave while my income grows faster than my costs. :)

There should be an option for question 1: I ask for cash back at grocery stores or gas stations. 

Also, this would help me pay my remaining tuition of post-grad education. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Also, this would help me pay my remaining tuition of post-grad education. 

I want to ask, is 7% interest considered high for a student loan in the US?

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

There should be an option for question 1: I ask for cash back at grocery stores or gas stations. 

How is that possible?

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Federal loans like I have cant go above like 8% by law. My highest Federal loan is like 6.5%. Private loans Im not sure on. I wouldnt say its too high. 

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

most credit unions are way better than most banks. 

Yes, they are.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

My loan was 5.75% and I've paid nearly all of it (about 6K left) and I'm paying off a thousand per month. But yes, these percentages are pretty high unless your loan specifically states that interest doesn't begin until after graduation. Paying off as much as you can while you're in school is a great idea unless you like having 7% of $150,000 accruing monthly. 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

How is that possible?

You use your debit or credit card and click "cash back"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Oh no, rent control in itself is a good thing, in Ontario a tenant's rent can only be increased at a percentage rate each year, set by the government.  This rate is mostly at the rate of inflation.  Keep in mind that a NEW tenant can be charged any NEW rate, it's just how much you can jack it up once they live there.  This is Toronto so property rates are skyrocketing.  As an example, according to the listing, a NEW tenant in my building would pay $300/mo more than what I pay.  ...So if I ever move, I could pay a lot more per month for not much more apartment.  The smartest move is to never leave while my income grows faster than my costs. :)

Ahhh right right. BC is the same way. Alberta, however, is not, which has caused a few friends some real issues. Like their rent going up $600 from one month to the next. How does that even seem logical? Luckily the market is absolutely massive, so you just renegotiate your lease and sign again. The place I moved into this year was 2 1/2 months free, 2 months at 50% off, and the security deposit was only half a months rent.

The average house price between Vancouver (1st) and Toronto (2nd) is ridiculous.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I feel this is over sensationalised from media. Think on a larger scale... What bank still uses Windows XP for ATM?

On top of this, people being able to lift the ATM cover for access to use the medical equipment?

Just LOL! Good luck doing that here in England. Trust me if it was this easy every idiot and their rabbit would be doing it. They are not this dumb.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

Image result for filthy frank gif

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

9 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

I feel this is over sensationalised from media. Think on a larger scale... What bank still uses Windows XP for ATM?

While most computers inside banks like the ones used by tellers and accountants are using Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, a lot of embedded systems like point-of-sale systems, kiosks, and ATMs use a variant of Windows XP called "XP Embedded" which may not have the tightened security features of Windows 10, they still receive security updates and I think they pay Microsoft to do that for them. That's why Microsoft is encouraging ATM manufacturers to upgrade to Windows 10 IoT. Since ATMs are connected to a network, they might as well disable access to exposed ports. 

15 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

On top of this, people being able to lift the ATM cover for access to use the medical equipment?

They don't necessarily need to lift the cover to reveal the I/O of the ATM. Endoscopes are particularly flexible and small and since these medical instruments have cameras attached to them, the attacker can use it to find the I/O of the ATM and plug in a small flash drive containing malware so that they can either monitor keystrokes or trick the ATM to spit out cash. 

On the other hand, some crooks don't even need any hacking skills to rob an ATM. All they need is a sledgehammer, drill, and a key. In this regard, no software/hardware security features can protect an ATM or a bank other than CCTV and rapid police response.

7 hours ago, M300843499 said:

You would be surprised. They can easily put their own readers and cameras on ATM's as well. Thats how they steal card data and pin numbers. Remember ATM's are not only at banks, at lot of place in the US have ATM's. Malls, Casino's, Stores and even restaurants to name a few. Lots of companies are lazy cheap bastards as well. Hell I bet Sam's Club is still using XP on their machines at the membership desk. 

If I had to guess, many ATM's that are being targeted at probably not at banks. But these ATM's in public spaces. Banks have cameras every where and potentially seucrity. These other ATM's might have none of that. 

9 hours ago, M300843499 said:

Why do so many in this thread think that an endoscope is exclusively a piece of medical equipment?  They're used in a number of fields, especially mechanical ones, to get in and see hard to reach places.  They even sell USB endoscopes that connect to your smart phone for home auto repair.

17 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Whatever happened to the good ol sledgehammer?

They still use that sometimes but the noises it will make will easily raise suspicion unlike a henchman plugging a malware infested flash drive or black box using an endoscope. 

This is why CCTVs are important although those could be hacked remotely as well.