RAM in computers vs phones

Just curious,

When you buy a mid spec laptop it generally comes with 4-8 gb RAM, which is usually sufficient,

but now a days phones have started coming with 6-8 gb RAM, there is even news about one packed with 10 gb,

Why is this so ? Do phones need more RAM in general, or are laptops under speced (they do not seem like), and do we actually need 8 gb RAM in phones ?

just like PC we play games on the phone and those game are almost have PS2/3 to Xbox one like Graphics

so yes

the RAM may be heavily used to load textures as the inbuild GPU do not have its own VRAM

also most phone can multi task and run 64 bits apps

so those eat ram

not to mention multi tab browsing of the internet

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Marketing. It sound better to say NOW WITH 8GB!!!! THATS MORE THEN THE OTHER.

And if you need to have a few games and other applications open at once then you might want it :D 

Well you can use that much ram on a smartphone if you use Chrome with several tabs, games and all... depends on how you use your phone, me personally I have a laptop and a desktop so I literally just touch my phone to get google and telegram stupid 2 step codes.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It's partially not that optimized system for the RAM, how Chrome used to use soooo much RAM.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

unlike PC's where programs usually only run if you want to and let them, in phones there are always a lot of apps running on the background that eat up a lot of RAM, even if you think they are shut down so you can get the "you've got mail" message. 

• Marketing
  • Android is a dog, and like Chrome on PC needs a lot of RAM to be happy. (compared to other mobile OS).. but that was before. Now phones have enough RAM to run it, even on non-premium phones, but it put in peoples mind that they need more RAM.
  • Most people don't close apps (including games) on their phone. they just switch to other apps. This is because smartphones doesn't have a task bar like on Windows telling them what is running and not. Background apps are put in suspended state. Now, normally under Windows, when you are limited in RAM, Windows will start dumping unused idle programs in it (that means it's off the RAM, and on your HDD/SSD, until you jump back to it, which will make it switch back to RAM so that the program can function). The thing is that for many years and still today if you look at non premium phones, smartphones doesn't have an SSD, and uses much much slower memory storage chips. This made the process of putting things on page file and out very slow. So app took time to become responsive. So it put the idea in people head that need more RAM to solve the problem, instead of closing apps.

2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

just like PC we play games on the phone and those game are almost have PS2/3 to Xbox one like Graphics

XBox One graphics? How about no.  Heck, even PS3....I would argue no, mostly due to OpenES and low polygons.

the RAM may be heavily used to load textures as the inbuild GPU do not have its own VRAM

True

also most phone can multi task and run 64 bits apps

Android* (assuming non routed where files where modified to achieve  extra things the OS was not suppose to support), iOS and Windows 10 Mobile are NOT multi-tasking OS. You cannot multitask on them. It can only operate 1 app at a time. The moment you switch app, the previous app is suspended and can no longer operate. This is also one of the reasons why Google made Chrome OS.

To hide the illusion that you can only do 1 thing at a time, you have the concept of services. So if you want music to play, for instance, the music app needs to register itself to the Audio service. And it will handle the music. Notice that you can't open 2 music player apps, and have them both play music, while being on a third app. Well... you can, but dev dirty tricks are needed. Under Windows, apps has no tricks to do. They don't know or care about other apps.

Now, as for the * on Android. In the recent version of Android, you can run 2 apps at ones, and so can you on an iPad with iOS. But that is only limited to 2 apps. While on Windows, you can run as many apps in the background, foreground, minimized, maximized as you want simultaneously.

As for notifications, the app registers it self to the notification services available, and it handles notifications alerts, not the app itself.

not to mention multi tab browsing of the internet

Ahem, Chrome issue.

Ram in cellphones is stupid. Really, unless you are a ULTRA POWER USER (which I dont even know how on a phone) you wont use a billion ram.

I use my phone A LOT, for youtube, Twitch, e-mail, google, facebook, whatsapp, messenger, spotify, pdf, Power point and etc. My phone stays ALWAYS using 1.6~1.9 Gb of ram... And it has pseudo 3Gb (2,8 is shown available). I got a 3Gb phone for other reasons, but I tought 3Gb would be a nice "future proofing", and boy I was right. 

I actually find offensive to see wasted ram like in these 8Gb models (which I bet will never use them... It would be fun if they lied and said 8Gb but only had 4Gb, no one would notice ever anyway). Well, there is a possibility to use that much ram: TONS of bloatware, which makes things even worse. 

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I've seen Minecraft Pocket chew up as much as 900MB before. Chrome can get up to the 2GB mark with some tabs.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

yeah its really just for just the spec sheet tbh 6-10gb of ram is more then enough for like 99.8% of people, like even if you have like 30 apps open and are editing a photo for something like Instagram on Photo Shop express you won't use all the ram most likely

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

11 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah its really just for just the spec sheet tbh 6-10gb of ram is more then enough for like 99.8% of people, like even if you have like 30 apps open and are editing a photo for something like Instagram on Photo Shop express you won't use all the ram most likely

What is crazy in all of this, is that on PC when you buy 4GB of RAM, say.. you have modules of smaller capacity chips on a board (1 or 2 sticks with many chips).

On a phone, it is 1 or 2 chips at most.

So basically, it cost one heck a lot of money on phones to have that much RAM. What I am trying to say, is that it is making the phone cost a lot, for something is rarely or never used by most people.

Well theres one tablet game I really enjoy but it turns to crap fast with only 2 Gb ram. Its also available on Steam but its taking ages for them to merge my android account so I can play it on steam.

I want to know what Nvidia were smoking when they only put 2 Gb in the Tegra K1 instead of the full 4 Gb it supports. I'd have paid extra for a 4 Gb version.

Linus is my fetish.

Marketing.
Remember when Dual-core phones started to show up even when there was no support for them on Android before 4.0 (3.0 on tablets)?
Some of them never got ICS update (Motorola Atrix, for example) and you basically paid for hardware that never worked, just because the marketing department demand that the phone will have a dual-core processor?
Or that every phone had to have a fingerprint sensor, although the first sensors only worked about 50%  of the time?

Same with RAM now.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

To tell the truth, I didn't know phones with more than 6GB existed! And I only saw one phone with 6GB RAM in one ad on one occasion.

For me personally, even 1GB RAM on a phone is enough, but 2GB is better. My main phone (Z3 Compact) has 2GB of RAM and it's more than enough for me. My secondary phone (Xperia E3) has 1GB of RAM and it can be slow sometimes, but then again I have 50 tabs open in Chrome and 10 tabs in Opera at the same time.

Main PC: Acer IPISB-VR│Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4GHz│AeroCool AirFrost 4 with Noctua NF-A9│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB│Cricual MX500 250GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm + Seagate 1TB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 & Windows 11 Pro│CoolerMaster Silencio 352M│Seasonic M12II-520 EVO 520W│Acer SA220Q 22" 1920x1080

Secondary PC: MSI H81M-P33│Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│16GB DDR3 1866MHz (1600MHz) Dual-channel│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + Seagate 1TB│Windows 11 Pro│Acer Aspire M1930 case│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Test PC/Nice XP PC: ASUS M2N│AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHz│CoolerMaster unkown model│4GB DDR2 800MHz│nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB│Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200rpm + WD Raptor 74GB 10000 rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 + Windows XP Pro SP3│TurboX Case│Zalman 450W│LG Flatron L1718S 17" 1280x1024

Future workshop PC: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2│AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz│Some 130W tower cooler│8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│AMD Radeon HD4670 512MB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840 case│Antec VP350P 350W│Lenovo L220x. 22" 1920x1200

HTPC: HP Elite 8200 USDT│Intel Core i7-2600s 2.8GHz│6GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD Graphics 2000│WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64│JVC LT-32VF30K 32" 1920x1080

New Main laptop: HP ProBook 455 G9│AMD Ryzen 5 2625U 2.3GHz│16GB DDR4 3200MHz│AMD Radeon RX Vega 7│1TB NVMe SSD│Win 11 Pro│15.6" 1920x1080
Old Main laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│Kingston 240GB SSD│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Secondary laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Corei7-3520M 2.9GHz│8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│2 x Crucial BX500 500GB SSDs│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Main phone: Sony Xperia X CompactOther phones: Sony Xperia L3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (x2){and both are dead now}, Sony Xperia E3, Sony Xperia Tipo + 12 more (not going not list everything)

Most other PCs and laptops I own:

Spoiler

Small laptop: Acer Aspire One D255│Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz│2GB DDR3 1333MHz│Intel GMA3150 256MB│Western Digital 500GB 5400rpm KingDian S100 32GB Apacer AS350X 120GB SSD│Win 7 Ultimate x64 & Win 10 Pro x64 Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit & Q4OS│10.1" 1024x600

Old secondary PC: ASUS A7V8X-X│AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz│Titan CPU Cooler│1.75GB DDR 400MHz│nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB│2 x WesternDigital 40GB 7200rpm (sadly one seems to be dead)│Windows XP Pro SP3│Some case│Codegen 300XA 350W│Dell E173FP 17" 1280x1024 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768Philips 200P4 20" 1600x1200

"The Old" PC: eMachines eTower 466i│Intel Celeron 466MHz│512MB RAM PC133│nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB PCI ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x_ 4MB│Seagate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm│Windows 98SE & Windows XP Pro SP3│IBM P50 14" 1024x768 CRT

"The Floppy" laptop: Clevo 2700C│Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz│512MB PC133 SDRAM│SiS 630 32MB shared│Samsung 40GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│15" 1024x768

"The P4" laptop: HP Pavillion ZD8000│Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz│2GB DDR2 666MHz Dual-channel│ATi Mobility Radeon X600 256MB│Seagate 100GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│17" 1440x900

Dell laptop: Dell Latitude D600│Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz│1.5GB DDR 333MHz│ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB│40GB IDE│Windows XP Pro SP3│14.1"  1400x1050

Future workshop PC (dead): MSI MS-7302│Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz│Stock cooler│3GB DDR2 800MHz│AMD Radeon HD7470 2GB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840│FSP Group 250W│Samsung SyncMaster 730bf 17" 1280x1024

Old Secondary PC: HP IPISB-CH│Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│8GB DDR3 1333MHz│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 2.5"│Windows 7 Ultimate x64│Acer Aspire M1930│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

1 hour ago, dsv1999 said:

To tell the truth, I didn't know phones with more than 6GB existed! And I only saw one phone with 6GB RAM in one ad on one occasion.

For me personally, even 1GB RAM on a phone is enough, but 2GB is better. My main phone (Z3 Compact) has 2GB of RAM and it's more than enough for me. My secondary phone (Xperia E3) has 1GB of RAM and it can be slow sometimes, but then again I have 50 tabs open in Chrome and 10 tabs in Opera at the same time.

If you want to play mobile games, 2 Gb is not enough.

Linus is my fetish.

8 hours ago, Kartik Chopra said:

Just curious,

When you buy a mid spec laptop it generally comes with 4-8 gb RAM, which is usually sufficient,

but now a days phones have started coming with 6-8 gb RAM, there is even news about one packed with 10 gb,

Why is this so ? Do phones need more RAM in general, or are laptops under speced (they do not seem like), and do we actually need 8 gb RAM in phones ?

no,  phones DO NOT. OEMs had been greatly increasing it yearly, just like screen sizes for marketing purposes. People do not multitask on their phones as intensively as they would on a computer. Programs running on these devices are nowhere near as memory intensive as on a full fledged computer as well. If anything, your pc should get more rams instead of these mobile devices. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 minutes ago, Bhav said:

If you want to play mobile games, 2 Gb is not enough.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Marketing
  • Android is a dog, and like Chrome on PC needs a lot of RAM to be happy. (compared to other mobile OS).. but that was before. Now phones have enough RAM to run it, even on non-premium phones, but it put in peoples mind that they need more RAM.
  • Most people don't close apps (including games) on their phone. they just switch to other apps. This is because smartphones doesn't have a task bar like on Windows telling them what is running and not. Background apps are put in suspended state. Now, normally under Windows, when you are limited in RAM, Windows will start dumping unused idle programs in it (that means it's off the RAM, and on your HDD/SSD, until you jump back to it, which will make it switch back to RAM so that the program can function). The thing is that for many years and still today if you look at non premium phones, smartphones doesn't have an SSD, and uses much much slower memory storage chips. This made the process of putting things on page file and out very slow. So app took time to become responsive. So it put the idea in people head that need more RAM to solve the problem, instead of closing apps.

XBox One graphics? How about no.  Heck, even PS3....I would argue no, mostly due to OpenES and low polygons.

While nowhere close to "current" consoles (besides the Switch), I can confidently say that the Snapdragon 800 from 2013 can come quite close to what early PS3 games looked like. This comes from fiddling with Unreal Engine 4 and running things on my old G2. Hardqare as far back as the Snapdragon 821 should have no problem outpacing the Xbox 360/PS3, that is, running at full speed.

Though I do agree in part with the ridiculous quantity of RAM on current phones. I find it extremely amusing that my phone, which runs maybe one or two "real" tasks at once, possesses the same amount of RAM as the PC in front of me that is serving no less than 4 user accounts with varying browsers and software (Adobe Reader) open.

The other amusing bit is this same phone has more memory bandwidth on hand than most of the systems at work here (excluding the few Skylake systems).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

you're comparing a baseline laptop to a top end phone.

my phone with 512MB runs just fine, they make laptops with 32GB ram (and more)

most android programs are so poorly optimized the manufacturers now just add more and more ram cause they know the software developers won't do shit to optimize, there would be no profit on that, if you make your program (let's say facebook) run great on entry level devices then customers won't buy $1000 devices

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Android* (assuming non routed where files where modified to achieve  extra things the OS was not suppose to support), iOS and Windows 10 Mobile are NOT multi-tasking OS. You cannot multitask on them. It can only operate 1 app at a time. The moment you switch app, the previous app is suspended and can no longer operate. This is also one of the reasons why Google made Chrome OS.

In iOS services can be run in the background, however the apps, as you said, are suspended. Its not perfectly ideal but when multitasking was introduced devices had around 256MB of RAM needed to officially use multitasking. Thats a very small amount for Apple to let users have a decent experience. There were third-party tools such as Backgroundr to let you use similar multitasking as on Symbian - and keeps the apps completely running.

The main limitation of the next generation of iOS's capabilities is not current technology, but the previous generation. The x-1 generation of iPhone gets all capabilities of x (with a few exceptions, e.g. FaceTime on the 3GS - while capable not practical, and animojis, wireless charging). So when Apple needed to enable multitasking on the 3GS and iPod Touch 3G they needed a clever trick to save memory and swap useage. I guess they just decided to leave it, cause it works pretty well! On a smaller screen you really only need to focus on one app anyway, although you can enable split-screen on iPhones, it seems reasonable to keep it that way for efficiency.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

In iOS services can be run in the background, however the apps, as you said, are suspended. Its not perfectly ideal but when multitasking was introduced devices had around 256MB of RAM needed to officially use multitasking. Thats a very small amount for Apple to let users have a decent experience. There were third-party tools such as Backgroundr to let you use similar multitasking as on Symbian - and keeps the apps completely running.

The main limitation of the next generation of iOS's capabilities is not current technology, but the previous generation. The x-1 generation of iPhone gets all capabilities of x (with a few exceptions, e.g. FaceTime on the 3GS - while capable not practical, and animojis, wireless charging). So when Apple needed to enable multitasking on the 3GS and iPod Touch 3G they needed a clever trick to save memory and swap useage. I guess they just decided to leave it, cause it works pretty well! On a smaller screen you really only need to focus on one app anyway, although you can enable split-screen on iPhones, it seems reasonable to keep it that way for efficiency.

Well, its more than just RAM as well. It is battery life. Imagine leaving all those apps that people never close actively. Already people have issues where people have too many apps pulling notifications and such. So even if you had RAM, you won't see multi-tasking on phones (not in their current form at least), any time soon.

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, its more than just RAM as well. It is battery life. Imagine leaving all those apps that people never close actively. Already people have issues where people have too many apps pulling notifications and such. So even if you had RAM, you won't see multi-tasking on phones (not in their current form at least), any time soon.

I would say some nieche Android devices could be powerful enough to multitask. I could see some being developed for the Razer Phone, if they go ahead with the laptop project for their phone - otherwise I guess a dock like that would be pretty redundant. Its just speculation however. From a more practical viewpoint multitasking is only good when you can concentrate on more than one app.

25 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I would say some nieche Android devices could be powerful enough to multitask. I could see some being developed for the Razer Phone, if they go ahead with the laptop project for their phone - otherwise I guess a dock like that would be pretty redundant. Its just speculation however. From a more practical viewpoint multitasking is only good when you can concentrate on more than one app.

Well, it could be both a software and a hardware complaint then. But last I checked, Android 7 and up allows for split-screen multitasking. So, Android has limited multitasking capabilities. In addition to this, Android SoC's tend to use ARM licenses, so:

https://thewireframecommunity.com/writing-a-basic-multitasking-os-for-arm-cortex-m3-processor

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

To hide the illusion that you can only do 1 thing at a time, you have the concept of services. So if you want music to play, for instance, the music app needs to register itself to the Audio service. And it will handle the music. Notice that you can't open 2 music player apps, and have them both play music, while being on a third app. Well... you can, but dev dirty tricks are needed. Under Windows, apps has no tricks to do. They don't know or care about other apps.

Now, as for the * on Android. In the recent version of Android, you can run 2 apps at ones, and so can you on an iPad with iOS. But that is only limited to 2 apps. While on Windows, you can run as many apps in the background, foreground, minimized, maximized as you want simultaneously.

As for notifications, the app registers it self to the notification services available, and it handles notifications alerts, not the app itself.

It prob depends on the game developer to make use of the phone in built GPU capability

EA made Need For Speed No Limits for the mobile and they use both OpenGL and Vulken API for the game and it does look stunning.

yes i agree to some point that ppl leave app running in the background without completely closing it.

Coming from my Samsung S4 to the current S7 Edge, I always have the habit of closing all my previous apps to clear the RAM being used. And also frequently clear my phone cache of any junk files.

With the current Android 7, true multi tasking is still not possible. Yes you can play your own music over the app that your are using.  

I still hate the fact I can't play my Youtube music play list while the screen is off.

My main browser for my phone is Firefox instead of Chrome. So my RAM usage isnt as bad

Prob the most RAM hungry app is prob Need For Speed No Limits

No_Limits_2018-02-01-11-23-33[1].png

No_Limits_2018-02-01-11-24-03[1].png

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.