Study suggests no link between video games and violent behavior.

Do you think video games can influence a violent personality?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think video games can influence a violent personality?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really don't know...

This has always been a controversial topic but honestly, I'm glad something like this had been conducted.

The findings suggest that there is no link between these kinds of realism in games and the kind of effects that video games are commonly thought to have on their players.

But also mentioned was this study was not aimed at children and young teenagers only at adults

The findings suggest that there is no link between these kinds of realism in games and the kind of effects that video games are commonly thought to have on their players.

Source: https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2018/research/no-evidence-to-link-violence-and-video-games/

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

"Vide games cause violence" is still a thing? Lol I remember when my dad wouldn't let me play GTA III because I might end up shooting people I didn't like.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

This study is clearly wrong.....just look at all those people who are making their pokemon pets fight eachother. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

this study has been done many times before... some concluding that it does, some not. personally I don't think it does, but then again I'm biased since I am basically part of the target audience

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

this study has been done many times before... some concluding that it does, some not. personally I don't think it does, but then again I'm biased since I am basically part of the target audience

One side is fact and then the someone else tries to prove the other side to get clicks and it has flipp flopped like this for quite some time

My life

It depends, if the person is a casual player then probably not but if they are a League of Legends player then I would say 100% yes it absolutely does

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Influence, yes. Cause, no. Have the same effect uniformly, no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

There are always exceptions to the rule hehe.

Geeezz how many times i must say that video games doesnt make us violent, Lag and Stuttering DOES.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

These studies must start investigating DOTA 2 players and violence immediately

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Geeezz how many times i must say that video games doesnt make us violent, Lag and Stuttering DOES.

No, that bullshit kill that douche got on me does.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

games, movies, shows, these days are quite the same but they all have the ESRB rating for a reason(looking at you, parents).

but the rage quit and pure saltiness mostly came from games though, especially competitive ones such as e-sports but hey, just look at the football fans who burn down cars and what not when their team lose

when assholeness, smoking, oversexualization is portrayed to be cool and trendy, what do you think will happen to kids who's still growing seeing all these and thought all these are normal. Biggest example is the Logan Paul fans, just look how majority of them defends Logan, some even saying its normal. that's how easy it is to influence kids

so imo, i'd say it is, however there's always exception to the rules as individuals are different

1 hour ago, bleedblue said:

"Vide games cause violence" is still a thing? Lol I remember when my dad wouldn't let me play GTA III because I might end up shooting people I didn't like.

Yes, much like "Vaccines cause Autism" or "The Earth is Flat" is still a thing. (Note: I do not actually believe these examples to be true)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

The Earth is Flat

Don't you know, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Hehehehe.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

The study had a pretty low sample and not fully representative of the target population so it would suggest confounding of the results (although they put it off suggesting they found significant results - not really how it works) 

I'd post a reply to this, but I'm too busy killing everyone in my neighbourhood because I grew up with GTA 3, CS:S, CS 1.6.

Pretty much anyone with any common sense at all would know that playing video games does not make you a violent person.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

In some respects, I disagree with the study.

Has anyone here gotten angry from a video game where they started to behave aggressively? This isn't really an issue for violent video games, but video games in general where the player cannot achieve their goal. It ends in frustration, and even if no violence occurs, people definitely can behave more aggressively and insult people, including loved ones. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Has anyone here gotten angry from a video game where they started to behave aggressively? This isn't really an issue for violent video games, but video games in general where the player cannot achieve their goal. It ends in frustration, and even if no violence occurs, people definitely can behave more aggressively and insult people, including loved ones. 

I'm more inclined to believe video games can temporarily amplify emotions a player is feeling rather than changing the very personality of them, with my example being tilting. At least for me and players I watch, going in with the wrong attitude can have a negative impact on your immediate emotions depending on the results of a match. Like having a bad day at work, and thinking you can unwind by playing a few online matches. Unfortunately, the tilt has already set in, so not only will you under perform, but you'll grow more upset from it.

I dunno, I don't feel terribly qualified to analyze it very far, but I think any negative effects are more temporary than personality changing.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

in a study making such a claim that there is "no evidence" of this, a control group of 3000 people seems ridiculously low.

will Video Games make everyone violent? no

does it make SOME PEOPLE violent? absolutely. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

This study is clearly wrong.....just look at all those people who are making their pokemon pets fight eachother. 

You don't normally see them in the street during the day, but they grow up to run cock fighting rings and dog fights.

7 hours ago, Thermosman said:

The issue is that every study concentrates on a slightly different metric.   If a movie can make you sad and music can make you happy why can't a game under the same conditions make you more aggressive?

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Influence, yes. Cause, no. Have the same effect uniformly, no.

Exactly. 

The bigger issue here is not what this study or any other study finds individually, but what a meta study that includes all these studies finds.   I am afraid that the scope of that is a little bit beyond the education and experience of nearly all of us.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.