Study suggests no link between video games and violent behavior.

Do you think video games can influence a violent personality?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think video games can influence a violent personality?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really don't know...

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

In some respects, I disagree with the study.

Has anyone here gotten angry from a video game where they started to behave aggressively? This isn't really an issue for violent video games, but video games in general where the player cannot achieve their goal. It ends in frustration, and even if no violence occurs, people definitely can behave more aggressively and insult people, including loved ones. 

I Would agree video games have made players and myself at times Aggressive (towards players in the game) but for me it usually ends with me breaking down and curling into a ball trying to laugh it all away. Usually because I give up trying to win and play for fun and that's when the humorous things happen 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Violence has existed before video games existed. Its within human nature, its whether you have the ability to suppress the violent thoughts and feelings that makes you different. You can be a violent person before playing video games, if you're violent before video games and play video games after you MAY become more violent due to your inability to suppress violent thoughts. Then at that point violent games may cause violent behaviour, but only in a mind that has had a tendency to be violent in the past.

I have played games since the age of 5 years old and I am now 23 and not once have I wanted to go on a murdering spree or hurt someone because of what I have seen/played in a video game.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Who cares what we think, the research is all that matters here.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I dont believe they cause violence, but like anything they can trigger some negative emotions or even influence people.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying games are to blame, the same can happen with movies, books, sports... But I believe the peoblem is within the person, and not created with an external stimuly. Games (and anything else fot that matter) can "awaken the sleeping beast".

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

There is no link to violence from games. Period. Same reason people lift, play sports....etc. Its an escape or release. 

Now I cant say after playing some racing games and then drive somewhere I just kind of zone out and want to gun it haha

As a parent who looks into this ( and other topics relating to children and electronics, technology, and videogames), and plays violent video games (since Sega Genesis and original PS), I think the studies are backwards. I do not believe for a moment that video games cause violent behavior. It can desensitize you to violence, but that's about it IMO. And I don't think a little desensitization is a bad thing in this over stimulated and overly sensitive developing generation.

I believe the studies are backwards. The children and young adults that have violent tenancies had these issues prior to video games. The mental and psychological issues manifested regardless of the exposure to or influence from video games (violent or otherwise).

Just like gambling mechanics. Doesn't force or children to become blackjack players... But it does desensitize then to the risks of gambling.

Correlation != Causality

This (violence coming from videogames) isn't a gaming industry issue, it's society failing to take care of it's own population, and improperly displacing blame and responsibility.

(It's easier to blame Mac Donald's Super Sized operations for being fat and being sick rather than taking personal responsibility)

13 hours ago, DoYouEvenPotato said:

This has always been a controversial topic but honestly, I'm glad something like this had been conducted.

But also mentioned was this study was not aimed at children and young teenagers only at adults

Source: https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2018/research/no-evidence-to-link-violence-and-video-games/

I've performed countless independent studies on the subject and concur.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Before video games came to be, you know people were quite violent anyway if you look at the past. 

Obviously you won't put a very young kid to play some gore game for hours daily and also never talk to him about it in any way ever. I'm sure there are idiot parents that do so though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

does it make SOME PEOPLE violent? absolutely. 

They do not "make" some people violent. All it does spark something that was already lurking there... They were obviously angry before playing the game. The games don't "DO" any actions towards you. It's your personal responsibility to how you react. America in specific needs more personal responsibility and stop blaming their problems on other factors.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

The Moon is made of cheese.. I thought you all knew this...

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

Just a little tip for the people replying, read the actual paper.

"No link between video games and violent behavior" is a pretty big oversimplification of the findings.

What the study was looking at were if video games had a priming effect on the people playing them, and it seems like it doesn't. I haven't read the entire study, but it doesn't even seem like they even used violent video games in these tests, because that's not what the study was about.

I don't think there's a definitive answer, but I'm inclined to say no based on evidence.

I suspect violent games can be more representative of problems that are already there, and I don't mean just the act of playing the games -- rather, it's how they play.  If they're overly serious about it (say, they get angry about every little defeat); if they have too much delight in shooting innocent characters; if they create maps based on locations they know; that sort of thing.  Games don't create the problems, but they may manifest the problems.