USB Type C connection - Why does anyone like this?

CaptainPanda

I got a new Android phone a few months ago. I was hoping for a micro USB connection, since I have a bunch of those charging cables, but instead, I got a USB type C connection.

I hate this connection.

It is very picky about how it connects, and if I move the phone at all, the plug just falls out of the phone. I don't get why anyone likes this connection, and I *really* don't understand the hype behind it. To me, it's just a pain in the backside.

What type c is great its more sturdy and reversable and stronger 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

The only 2 hypes I understand about it are suppose to be 1. Supports transfer rates beyond USB2.0, and 2. Reversible, you can plug it in either direction.

Only real hypes about it that I understand.

USB-C is the best connector, period. 

Its pin are on the inside and the cable disconnects easily to prevent damage in the long term. 

Does it mean you will have to buy new cables? Yes.

But its also objectively better and has so many capabilities that Micro USB simply doesn't. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 minutes ago, CaptainPanda said:

It is very picky about how it connects, and if I move the phone at all, the plug just falls out of the phone.

It looks like you got a defective unit. If it's still under warranty, return it and ask for a replacement. I know a lot of Android phones using USB type C and they like it and never had any problems like the ones you mentioned above. 

Also, with USB C it is reversible so you don't have to worry about proper orientation and there much lesser risk of breaking the connector than micro type B.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Supports transfer rates beyond USB2.0,

Not really. USB Type C is just the connection system with 24 pins. USB 2.0 or 3.1 is the interface. You can actually make USB 2.0 work on a type C port. and certainly there are a lot of USB 3.0 ports that are still using the USB type A port.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The USB C on my Pixel XL has been great, hasn't given me any issues at any point in time. I've replaced many more microusb cables than I have USBC.

You either have a crappy cable or a crappy phone, because it should not be falling out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Not really. USB Type C is just the connection system with 24 pins. USB 2.0 or 3.1 is the interface. You can actually make USB 2.0 work on a type C port. and certainly there are a lot of USB 3.0 ports that are still using the USB type A port.

I've even got a USB 3.1 type A port

sounds like an issue with the port on your phone if it's under warranty, definitely get it replaced

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's probably an issue your phone/cable. USB C is fantastic on everything I've used. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

13 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The only thing I meant by my statement was that it has the pin count to allow compatibility with USB3+ connection rates. Of course if it isn't the connector itself then you're limited by the controller behind the connector but regardless it would have full backwards compatibility. It's just part of the hype like OP was asking. Would you buy into USB type C if the pin count only allowed up to USB2.0 speeds?

31 minutes ago, CaptainPanda said:

I got a new Android phone a few months ago. I was hoping for a micro USB connection, since I have a bunch of those charging cables, but instead, I got a USB type C connection.

I hate this connection.

It is very picky about how it connects, and if I move the phone at all, the plug just falls out of the phone. I don't get why anyone likes this connection, and I *really* don't understand the hype behind it. To me, it's just a pain in the backside.

I'm using Samsung s8 and am loving the type C connection. Anyway, for your issue, either the cable or phone is faulty. No way by just moving the phone will make the plug falls out. Unless when you say moving is pulling away from the plug forcefully ... Then ... Well ... Any type of connection won't really matter unless those with a lock on it I guess ...

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Yea something is wrong. It should 'click' in (not really click in sound, but similar to any other USB port). Either you are not inserting it completely, or the port or cable are faulty. It should hold well enough that you can dangle the phone from the cable. Moving the cable in any direction should not disconnect.

Something is screwed up with either the cable or the device m8, because USB C is a LOT BETTER than micro B

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Vernw3 said:

What type c is great its more sturdy and reversable and stronger 

Good video!  Disgusting thumbnail...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

As many others have said, you might have either a defective phone or cable. I’ve recently gotten my hands a couple of USB type C devices and I’m loving it so far.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I don't like it. What we really need is Lightning with ThunderBolt 3. My dream :o

OP is a great example as to why you should never trust user reviews.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

The only 2 hypes I understand about it are suppose to be 1. Supports transfer rates beyond USB2.0, and 2. Reversible, you can plug it in either direction.

Only real hypes about it that I understand.

These 2 Plus Charging Wattage IS WAYYYYY higher then micro USB.

Its strong enough to Charge a Laptop then theres the thunderbolt versions that can drive displays 4k 60hz and external GPU ect. 

Don't forget that the plug is stronger as well. It should reduce significantly broken micro-USB ports from phones. Also the end connector of pigs, assuming they follow the specs proper is plastic tip, making not scratch your device when you insert the plug, an issue on metal based laptops or phones if you tend to slide your cable until it slides in, if you happen to be a bit lazy a few times (specially that USB Type -C is reversible it encourages it)

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't like it. What we really need is Lightning with ThunderBolt 3. My dream :o

USB-C has Thunderbolt 3, if implemented. Though with most devices that either Lightning or USB are expected to connect to, Thunderbolt makes almost zero sense.

Also Lightning has fewer pins than Type C, making it potentially less versatile.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

USB-C has Thunderbolt 3, if implemented. Though with most devices that either Lightning or USB are expected to connect to, Thunderbolt makes almost zero sense.

Also Lightning has fewer pins than Type C, making it potentially less versatile.

Lightning doesn't fall out after long use tho :( My MBP power chord just flops out, mind you it is 3rd party.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Lightning doesn't fall out after long use tho :( My MBP power chord just flops out, mind you it is 3rd party.

Well that might be a problem. The retention mechanism on USB Type C is on the cable, because it's a wear item. The retention is either due to side latches or all of the pins being spring loaded. So if the cable manufacturer simply did flat contacts on the cable, it's relying on pure friction to hold it in.

In Apple's defense, Lightning does provide a pretty robust looking retention system in the socket so it mitigates cable quality issues (which is weird, considering how anal Apple is about third party cables). However, it also means if you wear out the socket, every cable is going to suck.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well that might be a problem. The retention mechanism on USB Type C is on the cable, because it's a wear item. The retention is either due to side latches or all of the pins being spring loaded. So if the cable manufacturer simply did flat contacts on the cable, it's relying on pure friction to hold it in.

In Apple's defense, Lightning does provide a pretty robust looking retention system in the socket so it mitigates cable quality issues (which is weird, considering how anal Apple is about third party cables). However, it also means if you wear out the socket, every cable is going to suck.

Lightning ports just don't wear out as easily (well they do - but not for the life of the phone, planned obselesence confirmed?) still works great on my iPhone 5 :). I guess I will need to wait for a review on what power USB-C cable to buy next before jumping to get one!