A Developer wants to sue Digital Foundry because their users called them out for terrible Xbox One X fidelity

AlTech

Digital Foundry are facing legal action from a Developer called "34 Big Things".

The developer is unhappy that Digital Foundry called out Redout for only running at 1080p on the Xbox One X.

The developer called them out and said that the game uses a Dynamic Resolution on the Xbox One X and can be anything from 90% of 4K to 50% of 4K (1080p).

So in this regard, Digital Foundry is technically correct in their observation that the game for them ran at 1080p which is 50% of 4K. 

The developer seems to want to abuse the power of DMCA and Copyright laws to allegedly teach Digital Foundry a lesson because Game Developers are allegedly among the most hardworking of people and they didn't appreciate their customers callling them lazy.

Digital Foundry has apologized and said they will re-test.

The developer, 34 Big Things, is being whiny and bitchy and of course is being highly sensitive to the hate from their users.

If they actually go through with this lawsuit and if 34 Big Things wins, this could set a horrifying precedent and people who make tiny mistakes could have their lives ruined forever. 

This is just entirely stupid. 

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Consider support RTU by doating a dollar a month on patreon, link down below

Jokes aside; I think it's just a thing saying "hey, you messed up".

Though I wonder how much people buy games because DF says its good on a platform. I'd assume it's in the 10s.

I saw a preliminary story this a few days ago on the salt mine known as WCCFtech. It's good to see DF respond in professional manner, unlike the developer. People doing reviews mess up sometimes and DFs work is a type of review. Life goes on, no need to sue someone over it.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

55 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

50% of 4K (1080p)

?

1080p has a quarter of the pixels of 4K (technically a bit less, since 4K is 2160*4096, because everyone calls UHD "4K"). It is however half the width and height.

IIRC, 1440p is roughly 50% of UHD.

:)

40 minutes ago, seon123 said:

?

1080p has a quarter of the pixels of 4K (technically a bit less, since 4K is 2160*4096, because everyone calls UHD "4K"). It is however half the width and height.

The Devs themselves quote 50% of UHD to be 1080p.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They could just retract it and call it a day. It's not libel.

Okay so they're not lazy, but they're butthurt. Everyone call them butthurt.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Why don't we wait for the retest?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

34 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Why don't we wait for the retest?

because money

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

because money

Why don't we wait for the retest before squabbling like idiots?*

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

?

It's half the resolution not half the pixel count, dimensions vs area basically. It doesn't help that people regularly interchange what they mean but use the same wording.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's half the resolution not half the pixel count, dimensions vs area basically. It doesn't help that people regularly interchange what they mean but use the same wording.

My OCD made me register to say:

Resolution is written as multiplications. i.e. 1920x1080, so dividing by two...

The world is already full of inconsistencies, let's start to fix them or, at least, avoid creating new ones.

Regards

19 minutes ago, zerobyzero said:

My OCD made me register to say:

Resolution is written as multiplications. i.e. 1920x1080, so dividing by two...

The world is already full of inconsistencies, let's start to fix them or, at least, avoid creating new ones.

Regards

If I half the dimensions of a square I have quartered the area ;).

If you half the resolution you have quartered the pixel count, as is what is being meant in the article.

The term resolution is often considered equivalent to pixel count in digital imaging, though international standards in the digital camera field specify it should instead be called "Number of Total Pixels" in relation to image sensors, and as "Number of Recorded Pixels" for what is fully captured. Hence, JCIA & CIPA suggest notation such as "Number of Recorded Pixels 1000 × 1500".

Edit:

The issue is resolution has a double meaning and it was a bad idea to use it incorrectly from the start like it is, blame the tech industry for confusing mathematics like this.

30 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

So let me get this straight. they are suing them because they are telling the truth?

No, they're claiming that the resolution scales dynamically, and isn't 1080p, as Digital Foundry reported.

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No, they're claiming that the resolution scales dynamically, and isn't 1080p, as Digital Foundry reported.

If it outputs 1080p at all, even for the briefest moment, then it's not inaccurate to say so.

Now console reviewers should include a graph showing resolution scaling? For them to be considered 4k consoles, should they not output 4k all the time?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

27 minutes ago, Terryv said:

If it outputs 1080p at all, even for the briefest moment, then it's not inaccurate to say so.

Now console reviewers should include a graph showing resolution scaling? For them to be considered 4k consoles, should they not output 4k all the time?

Not inaccurate, just really imprecise.

I don't consider them 4K consoles at all, tbh :P They're just way too weak

Poor devs.. make good games or get shat on cunts.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

?

4K Pixel count is 8,294,400, and 1440p is 3,686,400 so 4k has 2.25x more pixels than 1440p (I'm doing all the calculations for myself and sharing the info) so not too far off the 50% mark, a bit closer to 40%

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

4K Pixel count is 8,294,400, and 1440p is 3,686,400 so 4k has 2.25x more pixels than 1440p (I'm doing all the calculations for myself and sharing the info) so not too far off the 50% mark, a bit closer to 40%

Close enough. 44% compared to UHD, 42% compared to 4K. 

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Not inaccurate, just really imprecise.

I don't consider them 4K consoles at all, tbh :P They're just way too weak

For the price, they're both pretty damn good to be fair. Even without the current GPU price problem it would be tricky to build a comparably capable 4K gaming PC for a similar price, especially for the price of a PS4 Pro. And the Pro's checkerboard rendering technique seems to work deceptively well in certain games, appearing only a touch blurrier than native 4K would.

Neither are perfect by any means, but it's nice to see the console industry finally pushing for higher resolutions. The Xbox One X in particular is pretty compelling because of its ability to render Xbox 360 titles in 4K through its backwards compatibility capability. Granted not all titles support it, but the fact that even some do is quite an important move forward for the console gaming market which has traditionally been all too willing to abandon compatibility with older systems and titles.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4 minutes ago, Whiskers said:

Even without the current GPU price problem it would be tricky to build a comparably capable 4K gaming PC for a similar price

God damnit!  Now you've done it!  This thread is now going to be inundated with PCPartPicker lists of ugly, cheap PCs, in mATX cases that have 4x the volume of a console, no OS, no peripherals and the declaration 'Console Killer'!  I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

God damnit!  Now you've done it!  This thread is now going to be inundated with PCPartPicker lists of ugly, cheap PCs, in mATX cases that have 4x the volume of a console, no OS, no peripherals and the declaration 'Console Killer'!  I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

Damn. I'm sorry. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff