Intel Releases Microcode Update

As spotted by grsecurity on Twitter:

image.png.1f53ff77141606a5a2664a243495cdec.png

Intel seems to have released a Microcode update yesterday (8th) that covers almost all of their range of processors, including a range of server processors like 64-bit Intel® Xeon(s).

It's still unclear as to what this update addresses exactly (confirmed via multiple news sources) but one can speculate, based on TechCrunch's citation of Intel's CEO, Brian Krzanich (quoted below), that these updates will be addressing the previously disclosed CVE-2017-5753CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre 1, 2) and CVE-2017-5754 (Meltdown).

Intel expects to issue updates to its processors soon. More than 90 percent will be getting them within the week, and the rest by the end of January.

This microcode update comes as a "handy tool" for system administrators managing the Linux platform as it features an after-boot update mechanism:

The Linux* operating system has a mechanism to update the microcode after booting. For example, this file will be used by the operating system mechanism if the file is placed in the /etc/firmware directory of the Linux system.

Update (11th): Several performance impact reports have been made so far about this and other kernel/bios updates released across the board, most of them show a decrease of up to 6% in performance on (new) Intel Hardware (6th Gen+) and some bigger impacts on older platforms (5th Gen and Below).

6 minutes ago, Fabricio20 said:

snip

Typo in the title and post.

*Microcode

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Where is the windows version? 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Where is the windows version? 

Won't work for windows, since windows can't update microcode while it's running AFAIK

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Won't work for windows, since windows can't update microcode while it's running AFAIK

hmm so I need to boot into my linux live cd then and use that to update the microcode then... -_- Now that's annoying

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

lol so yep the reports of this going back REALLY far is true, microcode updates for Pentium II. I'm surprised Intel even gave a damn about something that old.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/49976/Mobile-Intel-Pentium-II-Processor-233-MHz-512K-Cache-66-MHz-FSB

Edit:

Even older, Pentium I. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/49961/Intel-Pentium-Processor-75-MHz-50-MHz-FSB

55 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

So got to wait for mobo to release a new bios with microcode update then.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So got to wait for mobo to release a new bios with microcode update then.

If you're on a older system it's going to be rather likely you will not get a bios update and you will need to use a Linux Live CD.

So, how do I know if it's installed or not?
I followed the steps to install it through VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver, it said it was successful with 0 error, but, how do I check that.

In HWiNFO, I get this : 
Microcode Update Revision:  7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

44 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you're on a older system it's going to be rather likely you will not get a bios update and you will need to use a Linux Live CD.

Didn't Win10 include linux built in or something. Maybe I can use that to update.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

why are we trying to update microcode on every processor from the past 20 years again?

Hmm ... Any chance it could be run in a Linux VM inside Windows?  I'm guessing not, so looks like I might have to make a bootable Linux USB for my laptop to update its i7-6700K.  (I have a partition set aside for Linux, but it's not installed.  I had Linux on a Seagate HDD, but it suddenly developed a lot of bad sectors, so I took it out of service.)

I have Linux installed on my desktop, though, so I should be able to update the i7-4790K that way.

Or, what's the chance Clevo or ASRock might push BIOS updates for the P750DM-G and Z97 Extreme6, respectively...

12 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

hmm so I need to boot into my linux live cd then and use that to update the microcode then... -_- Now that's annoying

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Didn't Win10 include linux built in or something. Maybe I can use that to update.

Just to be clear, it's not something where you just update it and it's good. The update needs to be either embedded into the UEFI or BIOS of your motherboard so it can be loaded into your processor when it powers on, or it needs to be patched into the CPU at runtime every time the system is rebooted.

Windows versions since at least Windows 7 (possibly Vista? Appreciate clarification.) have supported live Microcode updates the same way as the Linux Firmware Tool does. These used to be distributed automatically via Windows update, but they haven't been used in a few years afaik.

Can someone with the January 9 Security update but no UEFI update check their Microcode Version inside Windows? With the seriousness of this issue, I would be surprised if MS didn't distribute updated Microcode for post-boot.

If I can use Linux to update my older i5 3570K system then cool. I have 50GB set a side on my SSD for a Linux install. Just trying to find the right distro. Any one use the new Version of Ubuntu since they returned to GNOME? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

lol so yep the reports of this going back REALLY far is true, microcode updates for Pentium II. I'm surprised Intel even gave a damn about something that old.

Despite it's age, there's likely Pentium II's and other weirdly old hardware out there running in 'turn key' type systems and failing to release an update when they are able to do so could potentially open them up to additional legal consequences.  I imagine their lawyers are busy enough without dealing with more ramifications if Intel half asses it. :)

12 hours ago, elkenrod said:

why are we trying to update microcode on every processor from the past 20 years again?

I've seen the DMV fairly recently still using DOS systems.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, elkenrod said:

Before I left my job at Sam's Club in 2015, they were still using Windows XP. My friend used to do tech support for Sears/KMart Stores, they were using Windows 3.11. So yeah, lots of business rely on old hardware. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Despite it's age, there's likely Pentium II's and other weirdly old hardware out there running in 'turn key' type systems and failing to release an update when they are able to do so could potentially open them up to additional legal consequences.  I imagine their lawyers are busy enough without dealing with more ramifications if Intel half asses it. :)

As someone with a Pentium 2 running right now, believe me those machines are highly unlikely to be exposed to any attack vectors.  You can't run anything > Windows XP on them, and the vast majority of modern browsers also will not work due to the CPU's lack of modern instruction sets.

100% this is a "because then in court we can say we were thorough"

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

As someone with a Pentium 2 running right now, believe me those machines are highly unlikely to be exposed to any attack vectors.  You can't run anything > Windows XP on them, and the vast majority of modern browsers also will not work due to the CPU's lack of modern instruction sets.

100% this is a "because then in court we can say we were thorough"

Yes but you also have to considder how many turn key POS, buisness, and industrial systems run old computer systems because the machines that did their job fine 20 years ago, still work, so replacing them is simply a waste of money because the job has never changed.  All of them could potentially be targets for a wide range of reasons.

This isn't at time for 'Yeah, but what are the odds?' unless the odds are literally zero.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes but you also have to considder how many turn key POS, buisness, and industrial systems run old computer systems because the machines that did their job fine 20 years ago, still work, so replacing them is simply a waste of money because the job has never changed.  All of them could potentially be targets for a wide range of reasons.

This isn't at time for 'Yeah, but what are the odds?' unless the odds are literally zero.

The only attack vector, I'm saying, would basically be someone physically sitting in front of these machines.  Even if they're connected to the internet, which is unlikely due to the difficulty I describe, there's a very low chance they're even running a browser capable of loading the scripts that would be needed to deliver one of these exploits.  Not to mention why would anyone even be browsing the internet from a machine that old?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The only attack vector, I'm saying, would basically be someone physically sitting in front of these machines.

Never heard of industrial and corporate espionage or sabotage?  The attract vector very well COULD be someone in the physical location.  When you say there is 'a very low chance' what you are also saying is 'There is a chance'.

So why is this bug so important now? It's been there for years and suddenly every third news topic is about that.