More Intel leaks.. this one is not good though

Message added by W-L

Please don't bump or necro old threads. 

-Cleared/Locked-

51 minutes ago, Fonograph said:

"But AMD might have big security problem too,Its just nobody knows about it yet"

LoL

Its not AMD who caused Windows and Linux to roll out update that will decrease speed by 40%  "But,but....but AMD" LOL

Some of these post read like Intel PR bullcarp,I dont give a rats ass about some AMD security problem that nobody found yet and is not proven to exist when Intel have real problem and updates are rolled out that will cripple the speed becose Intel funked up,not just in theoretical fantasy realm of your head,but in IRL where it will have real impact on users.

You might want to update your post before people realize how massively wrong you are.

1) The fix for Meltdown (which we think is Intel specific but it's not fully confirmed yet) has an average performance impact of around 5%. In some cases it's less (down to less than 1%) and in some cases it's more. This whole "performance will be reduced by 30-40%" numbers people throw around are just sensationalist bullshit that won't reflect the real world impact for the average user. Are you building a VM server farm? Then yes, there might be a big performance impact. Are you playing games, rendering video, browsing the web or using other generic programs? Then expect a very minor performance decrease.

2) AMD processors have been found to be vulnerable to Spectre, which is a similar issue as Meltdown. It is not some hypothetical exploit that may or may not exist. AMD processors are also vulnerable.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/01/which-software-had-the-most-vulnerabilities-in-2016/

Linux and its variants took half of the top 10 vulnerabilities in 2016 with the kernel itself at #10. Whereas Windows started at #14

Windows is more secure amirite?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but just in case someone sees this post I just want to point out that the LifeHacker article is very misleading.

1) A lot of the bugs are duplicates. For example this one vulnerability will be counted under Ubuntu, Debian, Leap and Enterprise Linux.

2) The categorization of CVE vulnerabilities is a bit wonky. If some HTC specific vulnerability gets discovered then it will be reported as an Android issue. The same goes for Qualcomm related issues. Security issue in a Samsung processor? Get it filed under Android! Throw it into the Linux kernel too since the issue is in one of Samsung's Kernel modules!

3) Those only list publicly disclosed vulnerabilities. Open source projects are often very transparent when it comes to security, while closed source ones often patches things without ever telling anyone what the issue was. If Microsoft discovers and patches 100 security holes in Windows 7, but only discloses 5 of them, then it will be listed as having 5 vulnerabilities.

4) That number does not take into consideration how many were fixed, nor how serious they were. Remotely execute code in kernel mode will count as 1 vulnerability, and being able to bypass the mute button in Chrome will also count as 1.

I don't know why so many people are like "I hope Intel go out of business" or "go bankrupt" if that happened, then the monopoly would shift from Intel to AMD. Nothing would change, it would just be a new name for people to bash.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

I don't know why so many people are like "I hope Intel go out of business" or "go bankrupt" if that happened,

The basic issue for most people is they don't understand the industry, they might enjoy the tech, but the industry as a whole requires a lot more knowledge than just which CPU fits on which Mobo.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Can you feel that?  There's been awakening.  It's the AMD stock prices.

d35zZPQ.png

Meanwhile in the red team camp

o8NAiK0.png

16 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Oh boy... Linus getting upset.. not our Linus, THE Linus.

https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2688875.html

Considering Our Linus runs servers with VMs on it as well, I wonder how upset he is, if at all?

Wonder how this will impact those "X gamers, One PC" setups since by virtue, those run gove esch gamer their own VM.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

ARM won't be a viable replacement for x86 desktops and workstations. VIA Technologies will be re-entering the market shortly. Perhaps they can make higher end CPUs. 

It will be down the line. Google has specifically coded much of its software to be cross-compilable to any architecture which gives them the best bang for the buck.

Just now, Bit_Guardian said:

It will be down the line. Google has specifically coded much of its software to be cross-compilable to any architecture which gives them the best bang for the buck.

That is true for Android but the millions of x86 Windows programs that have been around for over 20 years aren't going to work that easily. 

Still waiting on Intel to publish the CPU's affected, not just the "decades" old CPUs, should be a rather long list.

50 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Ryzen is vulnerable to spectre, as stated in section 1.3 of this document: https://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

I guess Google's blog post on it and their testing was their own and didn't include the results of the other researchers involved, slightly annoying but I guess they are only commenting on what they did themselves.

12 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

That is true for Android but the millions of x86 Windows programs that have been around for over 20 years aren't going to work that easily. 

If they're not multithreaded, yeah they will as long as you have a compiler for the architecture. 

a 30% performance hit is a huge hit, that will make CPUs like sandy bridge basically as useless as the FX CPUs

maybe ill hold off on doing a x99 build until there is more info on the performance hit 

6 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Still waiting on Intel to publish the CPU's affected, not just the "decades" old CPUs, should be a rather long list.

Pretty sure they've stated it's everything going back to Pentium III

Just now, luigi90210 said:

a 30% performance hit is a huge hit, that will make CPUs like sandy bridge basically as useless as the FX CPUs

maybe ill hold off on doing a x99 build until there is more info on the performance hit 

Only for specific workloads. Linux gaming has shown about a 1% hit.

If they're not multithreaded, yeah they will as long as you have a compiler for the architecture. 

And who's going to go around and 

1. Find the source for all of those programs

2. Recompile all those programs.

If it was really as easy as you say Microsoft would have done it to make every program UWP.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

welp

Just now, luigi90210 said:

sandy bridge basically as useless as the FX CPUs

no plz no, my i7 2600 will stand triumphant in the face of the adversary...... until i switch to amd

It's just the Core-based CPU's from 2006 and later. That also includes the Xeon processors.

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

It's just the Core-based CPU's from 2006 and later. That also includes the Xeon processors.

Source?

Just now, pas008 said:

Makes sense of ryzen pro line with tsme

What?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

Source?

What?

Security feature on ryzen pro

Tsme read about it

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

welp

no plz no, my i7 2600 will stand triumphant in the face of the adversary...... until i switch to amd

dont worry too much, i was rocking a FX CPU until i got ryzen back in september, it will only bottleneck a 1060 a little 

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

And who's going to go around and 

1. Find the source for all of those programs

2. Recompile all those programs.

If it was really as easy as you say Microsoft would have done it to make every program UWP.

The vendors will have them

Recompiling for anything smaller than an OS is like 10 minutes max.

Microsoft can't force vendors to move, and UWP has a performance hit vs win32.

You're ignoring many other variables at play. Look at all the major packages in Linux. Everything labeled "NoArch" can be compiled as-is by GCC, Clang, ICC, or PGI to Target x86, MIPS, PowerPC, or ARM, and it will work exactly the same on all of those platforms. Most of the common apps on Linux are already there. Doom is there. This is not some pie in the sky idea.

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

Security feature on ryzen pro

Tsme read about it

Does TSME only encrypt physical memory or does it also encrypt virtual memory?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.