AMD confirms Q1 2018 release for next-generation Ryzen 2000 series processors

Marinatall_Ironside
4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yup. Plus you can wait for buyers to sort out the best value.

In your case, with a 1080, you'll want one that clocks into the 4.3 Ghz range. Ryzen isn't going to touch Intel at the ultra-high end because of issues with Game Engines and Nvidia's DX11 driver, but it should saturate any non-Titan GPU at that level. That's the important part for most end-users. 

Great advice, thanks for the pro tip. I'll keep an eye out for a nice 4.3GHz CPU. I plan on spending £300+ (nothing more than £400). So that should get me a decent Ryzen CPU.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Great advice, thanks for the pro tip. I'll keep an eye out for a nice 4.3GHz CPU. I plan on spending £300+ (nothing more than £400). So that should get me a decent Ryzen CPU.

We'll know more details after the new CPUs drop, but there is always a "level of diminishing returns" when it comes to clocks. In the case of AMD's Ryzen, many of the issues have less to do with Zen and far more to do with the way everyone optimized for Intel, along with the nature of Nvidia's current driver implementation. So it creates a situation where they're going to be a pretty rough cap to what you can get out of any current GPU.

This happened with the X299 CPUs as well. If you tossed enough clocks at them, you could get back near normal Skylake performance, but they're still, normally, a bit slower. The Ring Bus + Inclusive L3 Cache seems to be the big issue for the way current DX11 "tricks" are handled. You also see this problem reflected in the 8400 vs 8700k benchmarks. 

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

More USB 3 ports and/or Thunderbolt 3 are the only likely things to crop up. Doesn't look like there'll be much in the way of changes on the CPU side, so whatever the motherboard makers want to add on is probably the only big things.

maybe we could get the full 32 pcie lanes, that would be awesome

People are being indecisive about whether or not to switch or upgrade. Just wait. If you have a current PC that plays games completely fine, why even upgrade in the first place? It’s not like these new CPU’s will have an amazing benefit to gaming anyways. 

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

I hope 2018 will be great for AMD.

Me too it seems it is the only way to force Intel to improve nowadays.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Matu20 said:

I hope 2018 will be great for AMD.

Same here. I picked up an 8600k over a Ryzen CPU because I got a good deal on it, so I'm not in need of a CPU, but I really hope AMD can come up with something decent in the graphics department. Vega was decent (apart from the pricing), but I'm hoping the rumoured Vega Refresh is going to be just that little bit better.

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

23 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Same here. I picked up an 8600k over a Ryzen CPU because I got a good deal on it, so I'm not in need of a CPU, but I really hope AMD can come up with something decent in the graphics department. Vega was decent (apart from the pricing), but I'm hoping the rumoured Vega Refresh is going to be just that little bit better.

If Vega was half as decent as Ryzen was, then it would have been a record breaking year for AMD. 

I am really excited for Desktop Raven Ridge APUs. I wanna make a LAN-Rig that super-small, is mounted behind my monitor and passively cooled :D 

Would be awesome!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

If Vega was half as decent as Ryzen was, then it would have been a record breaking year for AMD. 

i don't think vega could be much better in terms of sales as it seems the limitation is in production, hbm2 has been hard to come by, also the expected speeds weren't achieved, 14nm isn't the best node for clocks either, 

although i would like to know how well is vega selling in the server and workstation market

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i don't think vega could be much better in terms of sales as it seems the limitation is in production, hbm2 has been hard to come by, also the expected speeds weren't achieved, 14nm isn't the best node for clocks either, 

although i would like to know how well is vega selling in the server and workstation market

Apple seems to have eaten up a huge chunk of the production, so it'll at least be profitable for AMD. The 12 nm products in Q2 will be interesting. 

The refreshed Vega will finally answer if a bunch of the new tech either didn't work or is busted on the silicon. 

14 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

I still consider it rumor as there is no word direct from AMD confirming it (at least from a more reputable source other than WCCFTech). Once I can find any confirmation from them, I'll change it accordingly.

Here, I believe this is the source GN used https://www.techpowerup.com/239659/amd-confirms-2nd-generation-ryzen-processors-to-debut-in-q1-2018

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Apple seems to have eaten up a huge chunk of the production, so it'll at least be profitable for AMD. The 12 nm products in Q2 will be interesting. 

The refreshed Vega will finally answer if a bunch of the new tech either didn't work or is busted on the silicon. 

ya at the very least, there should be a healthy 10% clock increase, which should help, 1ghz hbm would also be a important step (hynix move that ass and make it work)

14 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Oh uses AM4 and works on current MOBOs....intel take note

Hmm.. You mean like Intel usually does for 2 Gen's?

Maybe wait another iteration before taking shots ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Hmm.. You mean like Intel usually does for 2 Gen's?

Maybe wait another iteration before taking shots ;)

except new board are already coming for the new 8 core

Very cool!  Probably won't be worth the dough for me to get a new CPU but its nice to see AMD supporting their mainstream platforms for more than a single generation.  Probably will drop the price of the current R7 lineup too.

The improved node is nice, though main interesting thing will be clock speed increase. We'll ye to see how much, but... 

Just imagine Ryzen with 5Ghz that'd be dope. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

The improved node is nice, though main interesting thing will be clock speed increase. We'll ye to see how much, but... 

Just imagine Ryzen with 5Ghz that'd be dope. 

the average will probably go up to 4.3 ghz, but i am more interested to see if it starts scaling better with ln2 and water

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the average will probably go up to 4.3 ghz, but i am more interested to see if it starts scaling better with ln2 and water

Yeah, I don't straight up expect massive increase but yeah, in time. With water will be fun to see. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

49 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

41 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, I don't straight up expect massive increase but yeah, in time. With water will be fun to see. 

We still don't know which of the 3 process branches this is on. 14nm Ryzen was on the most dense (and thus smallest) option that GloFo gives. If these are on the higher clocking process, which would make a lot of sense, then we should see a pretty solid bump. I think we're going to see more bump in the lower SKUs than the higher ones. We may not see a direct replacement for the 1700 until Fall, would be my thought.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We still don't know which of the 3 process branches this is on. 14nm Ryzen was on the most dense (and thus smallest) option that GloFo gives. If these are on the higher clocking process, which would make a lot of sense, then we should see a pretty solid bump. I think we're going to see more bump in the lower SKUs than the higher ones. We may not see a direct replacement for the 1700 until Fall, would be my thought.

don't say something like that, not even if you are kidding :P 

i need mah ryzen mhzs for hwbot :) 

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

except new board are already coming for the new 8 core

Pure speculation until we have concrete proof. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

36 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

don't say something like that, not even if you are kidding :P 

i need mah ryzen mhzs for hwbot :) 

I'm holding out for 4.7 Ghz being a stable OC on the best chips, but 4.4-4.5 Ghz being the general high boost frequency.

22 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I'm just hopeful that the 1800X equivalent CPU (2800X I guess) will get two extra cores while retaining the same clock speeds, but with higher boosts (This would mean the next ThreadRipper 2950X would have twenty cores, and the next high-tier EPYC CPU will have forty (assuming they follow the same basic design principles)).

I doubt that will happen as Ryzen+(Pinnacle Ridge) still uses the same architecture(albeit modified and optimized) as Ryzen(Summit Ridge) which is limited to 16 threads, so 8 cores with smt, i'd very much like it to happen but it most likely wont happen, you'll have to wait until 2019 for Ryzen 2(the actual Ryzen 2, not the second gen of the current architecture for Ryzen which is Ryzen+)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

22 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I'm just hopeful that the 1800X equivalent CPU (2800X I guess) will get two extra cores while retaining the same clock speeds, but with higher boosts (This would mean the next ThreadRipper 2950X would have twenty cores, and the next high-tier EPYC CPU will have forty (assuming they follow the same basic design principles)).

that seems like it wont happen, instead we will just get some clock speed increase, we might get confirmation pretty soon as the engineering samples are going starting to show up