AMD confirms Q1 2018 release for next-generation Ryzen 2000 series processors

Marinatall_Ironside
Just now, themaniac said:

I doubt that will happen as Ryzen+(Pinnacle Ridge) still uses the same architecture(albeit modified and optimized) as Ryzen(Summit Ridge) which is limited to 16 threads, so 8 cores with smt, i'd very much like it to happen but it most likely wont happen, you'll have to wait until 2019 for Ryzen 2(the actual Ryzen 2, not the second gen of the current architecture for Ryzen which is Ryzen+)

they actually could very well do it, as the cost wouldn't be much higher, and it wouldn't need a new architecture 

Just now, cj09beira said:

they actually could very well do it, as the cost wouldn't be much higher, and it wouldn't need a new architecture 

I mean, yes they could very well have been able to modify it to allow more than 16 threads but I don't really see it happening, and personally I think having a jump in cores after only 1 year wont be as profitable as if they just rode the hype from the first Ryzen for one more year and then release Ryzen 2 with a core increase, and it would also allow them to one up intel again as there are rumors that intel will be increasing core count with their next cpu line. Though i'm no economist(or whatever it would be) so for all I know I could be wrong

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

21 minutes ago, themaniac said:

I mean, yes they could very well have been able to modify it to allow more than 16 threads but I don't really see it happening, and personally I think having a jump in cores after only 1 year wont be as profitable as if they just rode the hype from the first Ryzen for one more year and then release Ryzen 2 with a core increase, and it would also allow them to one up intel again as there are rumors that intel will be increasing core count with their next cpu line. Though i'm no economist(or whatever it would be) so for all I know I could be wrong

the problem is that if they don't increase core count now, they will have at least 6 months where the intel 8 core will probably be a better choice for some people because of the extra clocks

19 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Holy crap that was fast. 

And backwards compatible because why not. 

Yeah, remember when backwards compatibility wasn't a luxury?

I was gonna say something about consoles but in that context it's always been a luxury lol

I'm still bummed about how badly their GPUs turned out; I hope they hire the Jim Keller of GPUs.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, themaniac said:

Updated ;)

Thanks for sending me that article along my way!

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I was gonna say something about consoles but in that context it's always been a luxury lol

I'm still bummed about how badly their GPUs turned out; I hope they hire the Jim Keller of GPUs.

their problem isn't exactly only the gpus but more the lack of money to have a bigger driver team and be able to have people focused in improving the code of the games themselves as game devs do lots of mistakes.

vega suffers from being the biggest they can build without adding more pipelines ( like more lanes in a road) 

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the problem is that if they don't increase core count now, they will have at least 6 months where the intel 8 core will probably be a better choice for some people because of the extra clocks

I was going under the assumption that the intel 8 core would be released very late this year or next year as from my understanding Cannon Lake was originally planned for this year so it'd make sense for Intel to not rush the new line like they did with Cannonlake resulting in shortages everywhere 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Its so great that AMD can rely for a while on Global Foundries. The more competition of silicon manufacturing the more options on the table each year. Better phone chips better gpus/cpus bring it on.

I still hope for a moderate >5% performance increase and 4-500mhz for all chips.

Im still rocking an old fx8300 and i really need an efficient upgrade, 2018 might be a cpu upgrade year only if they fix all the quirks with Ryzen, otherwise that i5-8400 6core looks really bloody attractive deal versus r5 1600. Hell even an i3 8100 looks good at this point but hardly worth the mobo+ddr4 cost over am3 platform.

16 hours ago, bleedblue said:

Will 300 series chipset users be missing out on anything that comes with the 400 series?

PCIe 3.0

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

29 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

PCIe 3.0

300 chipsets already have pcie 3, although we might get more lanes 

Just now, cj09beira said:

300 chipsets already have pcie 3, although we might get more lanes 

CPU yes, chipset no, only PCIe 2.0

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

Not really. Would rather not have a compromise just to run the same board for a bit longer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. Would rather not have a compromise just to run the same board for a bit longer.

For a lot of people, it's a lot better to not have to buy a new motherboard every time they upgrade.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

For a lot of people, it's a lot better to not have to buy a new motherboard every time they upgrade.

And how often do most people upgrade? Especially with CPUs rocking Haswell+ levels of IPC and a solid 3GHz+. Not that often.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

And how often do most people upgrade? Especially with CPUs rocking Haswell+ levels of IPC and a solid 3GHz+. Not that often.

Yes, that's kind of the point. I'm not saying we should keep the same platform forever, but I am saying that I miss the times when that was the case.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

CPU yes, chipset no, only PCIe 2.0

That was a choice thing by AMD to double the number of lanes, I don't think anything connected to the chipset requires more than PCIe 2.0 bandwidth? Not that I'd complain if AMD increase the number of CPU PCIe lanes and used those to increase the number of lanes to chipset and made the chipset use PCIe 3.0.

12 hours ago, cj09beira said:

An 8c Coffee Lake SKU will game worse than a 6c SKU. They won't be able to clock it as high and they'll actually eat way into their HEDT market, rendering everything below the 7900X pretty much worthless. Though Puget Systems will love it, since that would be the near perfect Adobe CPU.

12 hours ago, Energycore said:

It seems like almost everything went wrong with Vega and that it was a big transition for the company, but execution was definitely lacking.

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

An 8c Coffee Lake SKU will game worse than a 6c SKU. They won't be able to clock it as high and they'll actually eat way into their HEDT market, rendering everything below the 7900X pretty much worthless. Though Puget Systems will love it, since that would be the near perfect Adobe CPU.

It seems like almost everything went wrong with Vega and that it was a big transition for the company, but execution was definitely lacking.

considering its going to be on 14nm++++++  ( :P ) its probably going to hit the same clockspeeds, even though it has more cores, it will be power hungry no doubt about that, but amd having lower clocked 8 cores competing against it wont be the best position for them to be in, a 12c or 10c would really help here, (of course with increases in threadripper as well)

intel stuff is great... but i really like AMD as a company.

I just want them to stay alive!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

intel stuff is great... but i really like AMD as a company.

I just want them to stay alive!

I think Ryzen is going to keep them alive for sure. These are actual competitive CPUs where the argument of which is better really comes down to small nuances and preference.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Any word on the second generation Epyc processors? 

epyc might be in a different upgrade cycle, amd has said that the next cpu will have 48 cores, so that will probably be on 7nm

37 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Any word on the second generation Epyc processors? 

Well, getting the full stack of the current one out to Market would help. Epyc and Skylake-SP have been really slow to roll out.

As for Epyc 2 (aka "Rome"), 2019. Likely Summer announce and Fall release.

Related to that, @cj09beira I was thinking about it more. I think we're going to see 8c Mainstream and 16c Server parts. Then the Ryzen 7 replacements will be from the Server side. Rather than a full Mainstream/Server split, it would let AMD run both design types in both markets. This also lets them put them on different branches within the 7nm node. The 8c/Mainstream design will clock a good chunk higher, letting it stay in competition with Intel's desktop designs. It can also pull double duty for low-core count Epyc 2 parts.

This also lets them bring the 16c & 12c dies into the Mainstream, and produces 32c Threadripper 2s. They have a good idea how many of those sell, so it let's them span the situation nicely, while also allowing for higher-clocked Server parts with less cores. (There is per-core & per-socket licensing on different products.)

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, getting the full stack of the current one out to Market would help. Epyc and Skylake-SP have been really slow to roll out.

As for Epyc 2 (aka "Rome"), 2019. Likely Summer announce and Fall release.

Related to that, @cj09beira I was thinking about it more. I think we're going to see 8c Mainstream and 16c Server parts. Then the Ryzen 7 replacements will be from the Server side. Rather than a full Mainstream/Server split, it would let AMD run both design types in both markets. This also lets them put them on different branches within the 7nm node. The 8c/Mainstream design will clock a good chunk higher, letting it stay in competition with Intel's desktop designs. It can also pull double duty for low-core count Epyc 2 parts.

This also lets them bring the 16c & 12c dies into the Mainstream, and produces 32c Threadripper 2s. They have a good idea how many of those sell, so it let's them span the situation nicely, while also allowing for higher-clocked Server parts with less cores. (There is per-core & per-socket licensing on different products.)

so what ryzen 5 would go to 8 cores and 7 to 16?, maybe, the only thing i am certain is that they will add more cores as if they didn't it would be counter to what they said in the past about stopping the days of incremental perf gains

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

so what ryzen 5 would go to 8 cores and 7 to 16?, maybe, the only thing i am certain is that they will add more cores as if they didn't it would be counter to what they said in the past about stopping the days of incremental perf gains

Probably "Ryzen 9", I'd imagine. Or something else. It's officially "Ryzen Threadripper", so they might just add a new name. 

Part of the thought stems from a 12c design for Mainstream would render 12c, 9c, 6c parts. (Not sure they'd sell 3c parts.) Those seem like strange numbers for computer parts, and I'm not sure a 12c as a premium does much when you can drop the primary size to 8c, save space (increasing yields), clock them higher by being on a different node library and maybe add 4 CUs so it "has" graphics. 

The real driver would be ending up with something like 160 mm2 Mainstream and 250 mm2 Server designs. They could also charge ~700 USD for the top Mainstream SKU if they wanted.