Firefox installs sponsored extension without user knowledge or consent

Shypaperbag

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/16/16784628/mozilla-mr-robot-arg-plugin-firefox-looking-glass

Firefox users noticed a strange new plug-in popping up in their browsers. A new plug-in called Looking Glass found its way into each instance of the new Firefox Quantum browser. It was disabled by default, but users were still alarmed to see a plugin they hadn’t installed. When they checked to see what Looking Glass did, they found a vague and ominous description — “MY REALITY IS JUST DIFFERENT THAN YOURS” — which did little to quiet suspicions.

“I did not remember installing this add-on, [and] I would not knowingly install it,” one user wrote in the support forum. “Any explanations welcome because I can't find any reference online.”

As it turned out, Looking Glass was part of Mr. Robot’s long-running alternative reality game, a trail of clues left by writers for fans to discover.

Short version: Mozilla automatically installed a third party extension for a TV series if you agreed to send telemetry to Mozilla (opt-out not opt-in). I'm sure somewhere within all the terms and conditions\EULA it says Mozilla is allowed to do this but I doubt users expected Mozilla to do this, especially considering it has been positioning Firefox as the browser that respects user privacy and control.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Vivaldi

Yeah, pretty much what I use along Opera though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Really shitty move by Mozilla. They are the one company I feel like I can trust when it comes to having any form of integrity these days. Put the users first, and in control.

This move is easily in the top 10 anime betrayals of all time.

You are absolutely right! Many people use Mozilla because they don't trust Google. If Mozilla uses telemetry too than what's the point. 

Interesting, I just looked through my add-ons and extensions and didn't see this.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

You are absolutely right! Many people use Mozilla because they don't trust Google. If Mozilla uses telemetry too than what's the point. 

Google collects a lot more than telemetry.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Random shouting that browser XYZ is better and would not do this. Every browser has done something wrong in the last 5 years.

This is unexpected and disappointing .It seems this was not a full rollout / region as none of my Firefox installs received this. Given that the supposed reference was not discovered before seems to show that this game is not well known and therefore could not have been paying Mozilla enough money for it to be worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting, I just looked through my add-ons and extensions and didn't see this.

Same here.   According to the OP it only gets installed if you have "agreed to send telemetry to Mozilla (opt-out not opt-in)". 

Turning off the telemetry is one of the first things I do after installing Firefox, so that explains why I never encountered it. 

Meh, this is the main reason i switched out of firefox several years ago.

They did a test run of this when they were facing financial troubles and started injecting ads without user consent. Guess they are finally taking that trial run into full implementation. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Same here.   According to the OP it only gets installed if you have "agreed to send telemetry to Mozilla (opt-out not opt-in)". 

Turning off the telemetry is one of the first things I do after installing Firefox, so that explains why I never encountered it. 

Ah that would do it. I never turn that on

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Because u didnt read the entire post. In tldr at the end the poster says it only applies to those who accepted to send telemetry data to Mozzila.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

12 minutes ago, Thony said:

Because u didnt read the entire post. In tldr at the end the poster says it only applies to those who accepted to send telemetry data to Mozzila.

No, it's an opt out not an opt in, basically everyone should have it unless they specifically clicked to not send telemetry data.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, RefresherMan said:

Re-installed Chrome, ty. Not supporting that behavior.

oh

So how does one go about removing this? I just opted out of the data collection, but the plugin remains. Suggestions?

I've checked my FF installs on both of my desktop and laptop and  I don't see that "Looking Glass" add-on.

And yes I did read the whole fu*king post from the OP.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Because:

1) They collect far less.

2) They are way more transparent about it.

3) You can opt out of it in Firefox. I am fairly sure they even ask at the first run-time if you want to opt-out.

2 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Meh, this is the main reason i switched out of firefox several years ago.

They did a test run of this when they were facing financial troubles and started injecting ads without user consent. Guess they are finally taking that trial run into full implementation. 

You say this, and I've seen you say it before, but you have never provided any evidence for it.

Last time you told this FUD you essentially went "well you can't find any evidence for it and I won't post it, but it's true".

25 minutes ago, Septimus said:

So how does one go about removing this? I just opted out of the data collection, but the plugin remains. Suggestions?

There should be a remove button right on the plugin page.

If you can't find it (it's in the menu) then type in this in this in your address bar:

about:addons

I have 5 different Windows 10 operating devices at home, all of them have Firefox 57 or Nightly as default browser, none of them have had this extension installed what so ever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I know you like firefox, and i did too once, but i'm not gonna spend hours skimming through some cache just to prove a point.

And for real, this post says it all whether if there's credibility to my claim.

24 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I know you like firefox, and i did too once, but i'm not gonna spend hours skimming through some cache just to prove a point.

This is not me liking Firefox. This is me disliking bullshit claims that have no evidence to back them up. If you make an outrageous claim then you should have some evidence for it, not just expect other people to believe you, imply that people who don't blindly believe you are fanboys, and then expect others to do your research for you.

Me and another person spent quite a bit of time trying to verify your claims and came up empty handed. You can't just go around posting the same FUD over and over in multiple threads and never back it up. In the thread I linked to you said you found an announcement for it. Surely it shouldn't be that hard to find again if Mozilla made an official announcement for these supposed popup ads which it seems nobody but you have experienced. Are you sure it wasn't some malware on your computer? It certainly sounds like it, and this absence of evidence points towards it too.

24 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

And for real, this post says it all whether if there's credibility to my claim.

Except it doesn't... Mozilla installing an addon for some users does not give credibility to your claim that they were pushing out popup ads to users.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am fairly sure they even ask at the first run-time if you want to opt-out.

Yup, the first time you open Firefox they'll put a banner at the bottom of the page, with a big button so you can change the settings.

5a3849e3a47f1_FFTelemetrywarning.jpg.67d3903fa523bf1cd66a9616f7202ed9.jpg