• Me & very close friends
    • Me & Selective Family members
    • Me & all family members in-house
    • don't have a password
    • work friends
    • My imaginary friend
    • Everyone
    • On Trust Basis

When it comes to handling your password or in other words giving others access to the data that you have , what's your personal preference ? Poll is private so it's just mass comparison of anonymous opinions , so be genuine.

Details separate people.

Can you add an option for phones, of letting everyone know it? I don't really care about it, so anyone who needs to borrow my phone gets told it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

GF and I only

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Can you add an option for phones, of letting everyone know it? I don't really care about it, so anyone who needs to borrow my phone gets told it. 

Done/Added. Thanks for pointing that out.

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Who actually gives out their passwords?

??! Stupid. 

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

I would never give out my password to anyone.

Well in my case I don't have any sensitive information on my computers or phone. Anything for my eyes only/sensitive documents are encrypted on a separate external drive. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

8 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

When it comes to handling your password or in other words giving others access to the data that you have , what's your personal preference ? Poll is private so it's just mass comparison of anonymous opinions , so be genuine.

I tell everybody my password, except sketchy people...

I only heave password becoushe people from my family think they are smart ass and mess with my setings then nothing works . Usually i dont keep anything privite on computers . I use HDD and then put it somwere safe . No password will protectu you compleatly , especially seting a password on windows is only a protection against people who heave no ideas abaut computers . 

If you loos your phone how the hell they are going to give it back to you if they cannoit call any of your reletives mum dad etc. If they want to steal it they just wipe it . 

Laptop same story as PC . no point just reset your password in an Hour or get a USB to do that for you 

Maybe when the time is right I'd share my password with my bf if he wanted to share his with me.

But again it's something that I don't really care about or really think of I guess. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

left computer on once forgot to to lock it during study hall came back half naked women was my wallpaper. then the teacher walked in got a write up remember to lock your pcs friends when your away and never ever give your pw to anyone. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I hand my password out at the point of a gun.

Hand it over

397512-water_gun.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I really don't care if anyone asks for my laptop password, because even if someone does steal it, they aren't getting very far with a single core Intel Atom CPU...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

My computer passwords are completely open to basically anyone that wants to use them, plus they are about as secure as, well, a one letter password.  Phone password also goes to basically anyone that needs it.  I generally don't give out online passwords though and they are very secure plus 2FA.

14 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

i don't have a password on my desktop PC because i trust the people in my house not to use it without my permission. they have their own computers in their own rooms so they have no reason to use my computer in my room. 

also, if i sit downstairs on the couch and suddenly feel like playing my games over in home streaming, the lock screen would be very inconvenient because i would have to get up from the couch, walk up to my computer and unlock it, then walk back down to play the game on the tv ... not practical. 

i do have super sensitive data locked away in encrypted containers tho. so have fun sniffing around my harddrives. you won't find anything to do damage 

i have a password for my own user account on my laptop and chose to encrypt my entire home folder in case the laptop gets stolen. i do also have a password for the guest account but i did share this password with my family.

i use a dumbphone wich i think is too basic to have any protection for the lock screen. the fact that it requires to press a combination of actual physical buttons to do anything with it should be protection enough agains curious smartphone-age idiots

The question is wrong.  A password policy is not about giving your password to someone else; that´s out of the question to begin with.

Password policies are about when passwords expire, whether they can be re-used, how long they can be, what characters they may and must include and stuff like that.

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Hand it over

397512-water_gun.jpg

The laptop is (minus the quotes of course) "******************"

The desktop at home is (again, minus the quotes) "*********" and the unencryption password is (sans quotes) "**************"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, heimdali said:

The question is wrong.  A password policy is not about giving your password to someone else; that´s out of the question to begin with.

Password policies are about when passwords expire, whether they can be re-used, how long they can be, what characters they may and must include and stuff like that.

At work it's as follows:

Expires at random times. May not be reused...ever (and we count that shit)

Must be minimum of 12 characters

Must include numbers, letters, both upper and lower, symbols and any storing of the password anywhere is grounds for termination (and we check for that sort of thing)

Now..squeal like a piggy.

No, I didn't create this policy, but I do have to enforce it...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

At work it's as follows:

Must include numbers, letters, both upper and lower, symbols and any storing of the password anywhere is grounds for termination (and we check for that sort of thing)

What does the policy say about how people are supposed to remember the password?  They need to at least store it in their memory.

In memory yes, but it cannot be written down or electronically stored anywhere.

Why yes, I do spend a large part of my day resetting people's passwords...how did you know? 

It´s just how people are, you can´t expect them to remember such a password right away.  Resetting everyones passwords all day long doesn´t sound like a good solution.  Firing everyone doesn´t really help, either.

Do you verify in person every time whose password you´re resetting?  What do you do against someone giving their password to someone else?  Do you search cars and homes of the employees to make sure they haven´t written it down somewhere?

Most  of my passwords are me only and encrypted.  The lappy though is shared, but I don't store anything of worth on it.

58 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

At work it's as follows:

Sounds similar to the policy military computers have on certain accounts.

Still, you get the stinkers sharing the passwords.  Which is fun when us IT folks find out, hehe, yeah access rights go bye, bye for a bit.

Though, if you have GPOs set right, you don't need to count past passwords.  The GPO should handle that.  Heck, there is software now to keep these stinkers from doing the waterfall or walk the dog patterns now.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Foolish to give any personal passwords out to anyone. No matter your relation to them.

However, if it's a password to a shared PC or something where you don't have sensitive data be my guest and share a 1 letter password *cough cough* @AlexTheGreatish If you were away from your work PC, everytime you'd come back to it you'd have a different background picture :D 

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Foolish to give any personal passwords out to anyone. No matter your relation to them.

However, if it's a password to a shared PC or something where you don't have sensitive data be my guest and share a 1 letter password *cough cough* @AlexTheGreatish If you were away from your work PC, everytime you'd come back to it you'd have a different background picture :D 

We all have pretty open computers in the office here for grabbing things quickly off of someones computer, creates a kinda truce since no one wants to create an all out war.