EVGA sending cherry pick B3 psu to reviewers?

NumLock21
Just now, HKZeroFive said:

From the comments section of the TPU article about the situation: https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/evga-caught-sending-golden-samples-of-the-supernova-b3-to-jonnyguru?cp=2#comments

And not sure why you think he's talking about himself in third person... his name is not Jeremy. He's not the one who reviewed the unit on his website.

Ahh, yes I read those comments too, Some of them were a bit aggressive in their nature so I assumed (silly me) it was just someone who chose jonnyGURU for their user name.  I figured someone with a website and business like his would probably be a little nicer (even to the stupid fanboys).  Also, all I know about jonnyGURU is that he is well respected and thorough in his reviews, I've never really read them, I haven't had much need for such in depth testing. 

But that actually makes sense, I wanted to agree with those posts in the TPU comments but not being sure if it was him or not I was reluctant to just take it as read. 

Cheers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Makes me a bit nervous about my 1000w EVGA Supernova P2.

Should I be nervous? I assume a 7700k and a single GTX 1080ti are nowhere near pushing this PSU to its limit. Why'd I get it then? Longevity if I add in more cards etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is what I don't like the PSU business it's just damn dirty: virtually everyone plays around with the naming schemes to have it be very similar or actually the same even though the units are completely different SKUs

It's a good thing that your average modern rig is actually pretty damn power efficient now because otherwise we'd have a lot more issues of simple consumer confusion "But you said EVGA was an ok brand for PSUs!!!" would be the norm.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Makes me a bit nervous about my 1000w EVGA Supernova P2.

Should I be nervous?.

You're fine, relax.

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It's a good thing that your average modern rig is actually pretty damn power efficient now because otherwise we'd have a lot more issues of simple consumer confusion "But you said EVGA was an ok brand for PSUs!!!" would be the norm.

As always, you need to read multiple sources and reviews to see what you're buying for any product. If you think the components and fab for any company is the same from their budget line to their high-end, that's on you. It's one reason why the PSU tier list doesn't say  a single company's PSU's are all on a single tier. It's why Seasonic and Super Flower have PSU's in almost every tier.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

You're fine, relax.

As always, you need to read multiple sources and reviews to see what you're buying for any product. If you think the components and fab for any company is the same from their budget line to their high-end, that's on you. It's one reason why the PSU tier list doesn't say  a single company's PSU's are all on a single tier. It's why Seasonic and Super Flower have PSU's in almost every tier.

I do. Most people do not. Honestly people here always misjudge how much people will research something like a PSU if these marketing tricks didn't work companies simply wouldn't use them.

So no: I don't think that the responsibility should be all on the consumer if the manufacturer is actively trying to trick him, worst case scenario illegally so like in this particular case.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

I figured someone with a website and business like his would probably be a little nicer (even to the stupid fanboys). 

Why the hell should I be "nicer" to a bunch of arrogant ignoramuses?  There's no "rule" that says, "If you're well known, you have to be nice."

Stupid is stupid.  People don't need to be coddled.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why the hell should I be "nicer" to a bunch of arrogant ignoramuses?  There's no "rule" that says, "If you're well known, you have to be nice."

Stupid is stupid.  People don't need to be coddled.

I never said you had to or that there was a rule.  All I said was it surprised me you talked to people like that (even the deserving ones). Because it's not my experience of people in a business like yours.   Hell, I wasn't even offended because sometimes I like straight talk.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You can claim a 5 year warranty all you want, as every PSU maker seems to do these days, but some are still built better than others...

Looks like this product line has some issues, and it's good that reviewers expose this stuff before you go buy one for yourself. I think it is only fair to investigate any suspicions of disparities between review and consumer products.

More often than not, you get what you pay for...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

The reason why they are the same manufacturer is simple they were from the same batch, as for features and what not that could be intentional or accidental but is mostly irrelevant so long as their sales pitch doesn't have said features promised without actually providing any, as for the claim of cherry picking well one of them failed catastrophically so highly highly unlikely.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Sounds less like cherry picking and a lot more like a bait and switch. WTF EVGA?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

It is according to the PSU tier list.  It's not tier 1, but tier 2 is still pretty good.

It's Tier 4, but IMO should be down at T5. Group regulated, not the Haswell sleep thing rated and missing OCP is unacceptable for any gaming PC in 2017. It was fine for it's time, but even SeaSonic is discontinuing it soon.

CX-M is SO MUCH better for the same price.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

i could have remember their G2 was 10 year warranty. Now it's 7 years.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

which is still quite long

Yes 7 years is still quite long, but it used to be 10 years.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, JDE said:

It's Tier 4, but IMO should be down at T5. Group regulated, not the Haswell sleep thing rated and missing OCP is unacceptable for any gaming PC in 2017. It was fine for it's time, but even SeaSonic is discontinuing it soon.

CX-M is SO MUCH better for the same price.

Ah, it depends on the size.  The 750 & 850 watt models are tier 2, the others are apparently tier 4.

51 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Ah, it depends on the size.  The 750 & 850 watt models are tier 2, the others are apparently tier 4.

Yeah, they are based on a different platform.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.