Google is NOT buying Apple: Dow Jones accidentally posts fake news

WMGroomAK

So if anyone was following the stock market, especially Apple or Google Stocks today, they may have noticed a brief bit of interest between 9:30 and 9:40 (at least on the Apple stock).  Apparently someone at Dow Jones Newswire may have accidentally hit the publish button on an article that was a test bit for their internal system.  This test article was that Google was going to buy Apple for $9 billion as a part of Steve Jobs will.  The interesting question that comes out from this is whether the brief jump and subsequent drop of Apple stock by (admittedly fraction of a percent) between 9:30 and 10:20 before it normalized is in relation to this and computer stock trading.

CNBC Article: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/dow-jones-posts-fake-headlines-claiming-google-to-buy-apple.html

Dow Jones Newswires sent several fake headlines shortly after the market opened for trading Tuesday because of a "technical error." The headlines included one that said Google was acquiring Apple for $9 billion.

Other headlines clearly said "test," but it was the Apple one that caught traders attention, if for nothing else besides its silliness.

It is difficult to tell if the headlines moved the market as the $9 billion acquisition size was obviously incorrect. However, computers may be more susceptible to trade fake headlines as the volume of algorithmic trading rises.

Ars Tech Article: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/dow-jones-posts-fake-story-claiming-google-was-buying-apple/

The Dow Jones newswire rattled markets on Tuesday by publishing a clearly fake story claiming that Google was buying Apple. The story claimed that Apple founder Steve Jobs put the purchase price—an absurdly small $9 billion—in his will.

Dow Jones blamed a "technical error" and quickly retracted the story.

"Please disregard the headlines that ran on Dow Jones Newswires between 9:34 am ET and 9:36 am ET," the news wire said in a statement.

It's not unusual for news organizations to write bogus stories for internal testing purposes. Dow Jones staffers apparently did that at some point in the past, then someone screwed up by pushing the "publish" button.

The story contained a number of clues that it was inaccurate. The reported $9 billion purchase price is barely one percent of Apple's $800 billion market value. The story also refers to "Google Chief Executive Larry Page," a position he hasn't held since Google's parent company Alphabet was created in 2015.

The story said that "the deal was announced when Jobs's will was read in Cupertino, California." But Apple is a widely-held public company—Jobs wouldn't have been able to arrange such a sale in his will.

"Obviously, Google will move into Apple's fancy headquarters," the story read. "Google employees said, 'Yay.'"

This makes for a really fun read, however it does bring up whether computer stock traders can be sophisticated enough to tell a fake news article from a real one as well as what the economic implications of these kind of issues...  Apple's stock appears to have normalized within a half hour yet that may not always be the case.  Any economists in the crowd want to take a stab?  

Note:  If mods don't feel this is news-worthy, they can move it. Just thought it was an interesting bit of Tech SNAFU with potential implications...

Might want to change the million in your first paragraph to billion to match the article.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

@SpaceGhostC2C

Why does it seem like Wall Street sucks when it comes to computers? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Lol ... I didn't believe it myself.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, arbellason55 said:

Might want to change the million in your first paragraph to billion to match the article.

Done, Thanks for catching that...  Sometimes feels like have dyslexic fingers. :P

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Done, Thanks for catching that...  Sometimes feels like have dyslexic fingers. :P

Not a problem.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@SpaceGhostC2C

Because they probably do. I mean, I'd be no better running something as large as the Stock Market, let alone a press release / news firm, but normally one would want to have a simple thing called "peer review" setup whenever they publish anything public facing. You know, to catch things like this.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

18 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Looks like someone wanted Apple shares for cheap

or the head of the dow jones newswire just bought google stock.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

You mean their trading algorithms suck, their investment decisions about computer related companies suck, or that their handling of the computers they use suck?

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You mean their trading algorithms suck, their investment decisions about computer related companies suck, or that their handling of the computers they use suck?

Let's go with... all of the above, to be safe. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

LOL who would believe that 9billion only? maybe 900 billion But google can't even afford that lol even before jobs died it was worth more then 9bil

Reminds me of that age old adage, if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

This is pure bs! Should be using fake names for testing purposes but no, they use 2 of the biggest companies guaranteed to get a reaction, this was no accident.

1 hour ago, JAKEBAB said:

This is pure bs! Should be using fake names for testing purposes but no, they use 2 of the biggest companies guaranteed to get a reaction, this was no accident.

Its easier to make up something fake about something real though. Either way it doesn't seem to have had an especially large impact on the market 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/11/2017 at 1:17 AM, ARikozuM said:

Let's go with... all of the above, to be safe. 

Well, I don't know what kind of IT skills people working at WS have :P As for investing in IT companies, they are as good or bad as they are for everything else, I guess.

When it comes to trading algorithms, they probably use the best known, since there's so much money at stake. However, algorithm trading suffers from "herding" for a couple of reasons.

The term "herding" was coined to refer to a type of behavioral bias of human traders. It's what it sounds like: people sometimes make trading decisions based on what others are doing, even if they don't know of any reason to do that themselves. It can happen, for example, that a large number of small investors sell an asset just because a big investor did so, even though said investors may have had unique reasons to do so (like needing liquidity), which are irrelevant for the others.

When it comes to automated trading, in principal you there are no behavioral biases. However, there are two forms of "automated herding": first, algorithms look a lot like each other, so if it is time to buy/sell for one of them, it will likely be so for most others as well. Second, algorithm trading focuses on trades for which speed is everything. Therefore, they are design to try and catch the slightest signal and immediately execute tons of orders before anyone else gets to it. This leads to large movements in the market as you aggregate all those individual, automated orders. And though changes in stock prices themselves are unpredictable by definition, these algorithms make heavy used of volatility data, so once they trigger a large movement in prices, they also update their volatility measures with the latest swing, leading to new decisions that may or may not create a new swing or an overshoot in the previous one.

So, yeah, it's like betting billions on a "first!" post :P

(as a side comment, the benefits of moving first are so big that companies invest heavily in being physically closer to the exchange server. They even bid high for top floor/roof facilities in order to use microwave communications over the air, which are the fastest way to get there - if the weather helps: the disruption in microwave connectivity caused by heavy rain has a measurable impact on market outcomes. The more you know... :P)

On 11/10/2017 at 6:12 AM, OmJo93 said:

Reminds me of that age old adage, if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

Android has more marketshare though. 

Lol why would anyone believe that?  The idea that (1) Apple could be bought for only $7 billion and that (2) Steve Jobs would leave that in his will is utterly ridiculous.  They're worth 3/4 of a trillion dollars.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, coolkingler1 said:

Android has more marketshare though. 

True, Android does, but the new Applfied Google doesn't. 

Just now, OmJo93 said:

True, Android does, but the new Applfied Google doesn't. 

But... it was fake news... :P