RTG Raja's going on a break, Lisa Su is stepping in for the next few months

YongKang
1 hour ago, MechPilot524 said:

If it's causing an absence this long, then it can't exactly be the common cold.

I was talking about something serious, like cancer.

5 hours ago, MechPilot524 said:

Hmm. Nvidia is very deeply entrenched in mobile products. AMD APUs have always been good because Intel integrated graphics have always been trash (I think someone ran a 1080p benchmark and a 4790k on IGPU was about the same as an A10 APU)*.

You had the 940M and now the 940MX, to which there was never really an alternative. And the 10X0 series desktop cards have been in laptops these days - no way Vega will be a good mobile card and Polaris can't touch a 1080 in a laptop.

AMD has a better chance on desktops, where you have things like FreeSync. AMD's had some good entries there - RX 4/580 were fundamentally good, it's just data mining got 'em. And my first true GPU was a Hawaii, an R9 290 I keep around to this day.

*Edit: Trivial but found it. Gamers Nexus tested a new Athlon chip and in their benchmarks included a 4790k running IGPU and an A10-7870k. The 7870k handily beat the 4790k in general, titles I noticed were GTA 5 Normal at 1080p and GRiD Medium at 1080. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxukB3GZyMg

I'd say Vega is better off in the mobile segment than desktop. By reigning in the clock speeds there is a huge improvement in power consumption.

We should see it in particular on Raven Ridge but it isn't out of the question to see a Vega chip for mobile (Vega 11 perhaps?). I think the biggest hindrance is HBM and the cost associated with it.

FreeSync is possible on mobile, so I'm not sure why this is mentioned.

5 hours ago, MechPilot524 said:

nd AMD was trying to sell them to compete with the i7 K-SKUs on price, though they eventually shifted it to match an i5.

And near the end of its life, i3s :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

6 hours ago, MechPilot524 said:

Maybe so, but RTG is in a better position now vs Nvidia (they can actually sorta compete across the market) than what AMD had when Intel dropped Devil's Canyon (Haswell refresh with improved TIM and binning). AMD had the FX-9590, only capable of competing in heavily multithreaded applications, and overclocked in gaming (difficult to do because Vishera was a space heater!) couldn't even match an i5. And AMD was trying to sell them to compete with the i7 K-SKUs on price, though they eventually shifted it to match an i5. So yeah, compared to that market where you really were only gonna pick AMD processors on a budget and snag an 8350 instead of a pricier i5, Ryzen is a miracle and RTG can at least compete.

RTG Is in a much worse position now than they have been before.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I don't think he's getting axed.

It's probably just vacation or a PR move to get him away from the heat.

Also Vega might still be a success for AMD. They probably just gave up on gaming and focused on just making money with a high end graphics card for a change, which the probably didn't in forever. (Fury X sold not very good, 290X sold well but then Bitcoin and overstock etc.)

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

RTG Is in a much worse position now than they have been before.

I'd say the HD2000/HD3000 series was worse, mostly for the fact that even now AMD/RTG are still actually selling GPUs. Back then those were terrible, very terrible and resulted in most of what they are stuck in now, those cards had a really bad stigma and ruined their reputation.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd say the HD2000/HD3000 series was worse, mostly for the fact that even now AMD/RTG are still actually selling GPUs. Back then those were terrible, very terrible and resulted in most of what they are stuck in now, those cards had a really bad stigma and ruined their reputation.

When you say its its probably correct becasue you are smarter than me.
But RTGs GPUs have majority of the time been better compared to Nvidia than they are now.

Well, even then the gpus was just plain better than Nvidia at one point, Nvidia still sold more cards...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

When you say its its probably correct becasue you are smarter than me.

More of a case I was a X800GTO owner and can remember just how disappointed we all were when ATI released the HD2000 turd lol.

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

But RTGs GPUs have majority of the time been better compared to Nvidia than they are now.

Yea other than those two generations ATI faired extremely well to Nvidia and sometimes had the fastest card on the market, while not as often as Nvidia certainly much better than what can be said now days.

Stupid question, but Lisa Su is an existing exec with AMD right?

And AMD's just pushing to ramp into APU production with Zen and Vega for Q4 right?

And Raja is supposed to be back Q4 right?

Couldn't this just be a case of her moving across temporarily to help coordinate the RTG and AMD teams for the last steps of finalizing the APUs for production? If she's been working with the AMD guys and gals for a while now, moving her over to work with the RTG guys and gals could help to bridge the two groups and facilitate communication as they finish up their products.

Correct me if I have a misunderstanding in there somewhere.

41 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Stupid question, but Lisa Su is an existing exec with AMD right?

And AMD's just pushing to ramp into APU production with Zen and Vega for Q4 right?

And Raja is supposed to be back Q4 right?

Couldn't this just be a case of her moving across temporarily to help coordinate the RTG and AMD teams for the last steps of finalizing the APUs for production? If she's been working with the AMD guys and gals for a while now, moving her over to work with the RTG guys and gals could help to bridge the two groups and facilitate communication as they finish up their products.

Correct me if I have a misunderstanding in there somewhere.

No that's mostly accurate and plausible, but it would still kinda mean admitting defeat on Vega: There's still promised features that are flat-out not active in Vega so at the very least the engineers should be working hard at driver support at this point.

So if what you say turns out to be accurate it means Su thinks Vega is not salvageable and that they can just move the current stock to miners and workstation clients (who obviously do not need the missing features) which is worrisome.

Actually the entire situation with Radeon Group is fairly worrisome to me: for them to "fix" things we'd be talking very long term development of a brand new architecture from the ground up (like Zen) and that's 4 to 5 years in the making before it'd be ready.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 hours ago, YongKang said:

I just hope Vega gets better with the drivers and Lisa's leadership. :( 

Again with the drivers ?:)) Amd's drivers are fine ...and have been for years.

42 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

You do know the amount of bugs that the Vega drivers have had so far right? Very very many!

Oh... I was under the impression that AMD's entire GPU division had been on break for over a year or so now.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 hours ago, MechPilot524 said:

Maybe. As pointed above though if they were gonna dismiss him wouldn't they just hire an interim director and dismiss him? And I guess the whole HBM2 situation wasn't pretty - Linus did point out in his Vega review that there were and still are supply issues on HBM2, like there's only one supplier. Maybe that doesn't explain some of Vega's other downsides. But he did good on the 480 and 580, the miners ruined it (no offense to miners).

I never said they dismissed him, just that maybe this will be good for RTG :D 

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I looked into it and apparently he joined shortly after Vega development started. 

So he probably did do a lot for Vega :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

22 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Oh... I was under the impression that AMD's entire GPU division had been on break for over a year or so now.

Yeah they've been using 'Fury drivers' with Vega for almost a year, where are the real Vega drivers AMD? :P

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Yeah they've been using 'Fury drivers' with Vega for almost a year, where are the real Vega drivers AMD? :P

We laugh now but we'll be crying soon when nvidia can charge whatever they want for 80 level video cards. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, VanayadGaming said:

The drivers work and get updates on a regular basis, but they are far from perfect.

There are hardware functions on Vega that are just completely disabled even tho they have the potential to give a boost of a few %.

The amount of raw compute power Vega has is difficult to utilize properly so the driver for it will take probably at least a year until it's somewhat capable of using Vega to its full potential. I mean it took about 6 months for Polaris and the GPU is much smaller so easier to optimize the drivers for that.

DX12/Vulkan would help a lot with this because the drivers wouldn't be as important anymore compared to today (DX11). However those games are still nowhere to be found and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think AMD hoped games with DX12/Vulkan support would start rolling out about now but that's not the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vega people in 2-3 years time would say "see Vega was a much better option! F nvidia!" because by then the drivers are optimized, more hardware functions are enabled (hopefully all by then) and DX12/Vulkan is (finally) common. But then again that's not now so it's pointless.

It might be sad but the fact Nvidia has like a complete GPU design above the 1080 (1080ti, titan Xp) they are basically 1 full step ahead of AMD. 

In the CPU war it's AMD vs Intel and they are trading blows at the very top. Core wise AMD is after a long time king again.

However in the GPU war Nvidia has been king for a LONG time and it seems like there's nothing in the near future that will change that. I understand AMD wants to go with a modular design for GPU's like they did with Ryzen but i don't think that's going to be enough... 

Don't forget Polaris is already more than a year old now.

Also (quite long post but whatever :D) nvidia has been sitting on their lazy ass for YEARS. They can optimize the crap out of their drivers because they have plenty of time. Volta already exists and it's likely Nvidia is already optimizing drivers for it right now. If you compare that to AMD Navi is probably in a barely functioning state and are still working hard getting the Vega drivers ready.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Also (quite long post but whatever :D) nvidia has been sitting on their lazy ass for YEARS.

Yea sure, delivering huge performance gains from generation to generation is sitting on lazy ass ;-) What has AMD been doing in the meantime?

I am sorry but if we make the assumption that the competition in GPU department from AMD side was virtually nonexistent for last couple of years then I am fine with that. Unlike Intel, NVIDIA has been delivering steady and noticeable performance gains from generation to generation.

People are still sitting on CPU's from 4 years ago and are still fine for many tasks like gaming, whereas people who are still sitting on 700 series Geforce can feel quite the performance difference between their cards and Pascals.

Basically, unlike Intel, NVIDIA doesn't need competition to deliver good product. Sure, competition is always nice but in this case it's not like they would never have released Volta or made it only +10% stronger than Pascal. Judging from past patterns, Volta WILL come next year and will be at least 30% stronger than Pascals and that is regardless of what AMD will do.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

14 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

We laugh now but we'll be crying soon when nvidia can charge whatever they want for 80 level video cards. 

They already are as the 1080 is actually a 60/70 class gpu

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

The drivers work and get updates on a regular basis, but they are far from perfect.

There are hardware functions on Vega that are just completely disabled even tho they have the potential to give a boost of a few %.

The amount of raw compute power Vega has is difficult to utilize properly so the driver for it will take probably at least a year until it's somewhat capable of using Vega to its full potential. I mean it took about 6 months for Polaris and the GPU is much smaller so easier to optimize the drivers for that.

DX12/Vulkan would help a lot with this because the drivers wouldn't be as important anymore compared to today (DX11). However those games are still nowhere to be found and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think AMD hoped games with DX12/Vulkan support would start rolling out about now but that's not the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vega people in 2-3 years time would say "see Vega was a much better option! F nvidia!" because by then the drivers are optimized, more hardware functions are enabled (hopefully all by then) and DX12/Vulkan is (finally) common. But then again that's not now so it's pointless.

It might be sad but the fact Nvidia has like a complete GPU design above the 1080 (1080ti, titan Xp) they are basically 1 full step ahead of AMD. 

In the CPU war it's AMD vs Intel and they are trading blows at the very top. Core wise AMD is after a long time king again.

However in the GPU war Nvidia has been king for a LONG time and it seems like there's nothing in the near future that will change that. I understand AMD wants to go with a modular design for GPU's like they did with Ryzen but i don't think that's going to be enough... 

Don't forget Polaris is already more than a year old now.

Also (quite long post but whatever :D) nvidia has been sitting on their lazy ass for YEARS. They can optimize the crap out of their drivers because they have plenty of time. Volta already exists and it's likely Nvidia is already optimizing drivers for it right now. If you compare that to AMD Navi is probably in a barely functioning state and are still working hard getting the Vega drivers ready.

They have been selling more but I wouldn't say they have been having better products. 

5 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Yea sure, delivering huge performance gains from generation to generation is sitting on lazy ass ;-) What has AMD been doing in the meantime?

I am sorry but if we make the assumption that the competition in GPU department from AMD side was virtually nonexistent for last couple of years then I am fine with that. Unlike Intel, NVIDIA has been delivering steady and noticeable performance gains from generation to generation.

People are still sitting on CPU's from 4 years ago and are still fine for many tasks like gaming, whereas people who are still sitting on 700 series Geforce can feel quite the performance difference between their cards and Pascals.

Basically, unlike Intel, NVIDIA doesn't need competition to deliver good product. Sure, competition is always nice but in this case it's not like they would never have released Volta or made it only +10% stronger than Pascal. Judging from past patterns, Volta WILL come next year and will be at least 30% stronger than Pascals and that is regardless of what AMD will do.

Yeah volta will eventually arrive, but at what price? Prices for high-end gpu's are rising with every new generation that gets launched. Also 30% is low, we used to see 50-60% performance increases. Don't forget the titan Xp costs 1.200 dollars, the most expensive a graphics card that could be used for gaming ever, even if you would look at older cards and looked at inflation no card ever was that expensive. (yes there was a titan Z but that was a dual-gpu card, an exception :p).

So be prepared that the volta-based Titan would probably cost 1.500 dollars, mainly because they can and there's no competition...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Also 30% is low, we used to see 50-60% performance increases.

That was just rough conservative estimation, obviously. I just watched a video comparing Witcher 3 where 780ti was pulling about 37 fps whereas 1080ti was doing 87-89. That is about 137% increase in performance. 980ti was doing almost double, a bit less than 100% increase. 

EDIT: ok, getting the averages it wasn't that much, still - about 50% increase from 780ti to 980ti and 100%+ from 780ti to 180ti.

22 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah volta will eventually arrive, but at what price?

The MSRP price increase for high end NVIDIA gpus has been almost 0% from 780ti.

I am leaving Titans out because people who pay for Titans don't really care about stuff like that. They are either techtubers who get it for free or are willing to pay premium for the cool name and to be able to claim that they have the current fastest thing a consumer can get. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

They already are as the 1080 is actually a 60/70 class gpu

How do you come to that conclusion, the 1080 outperforms the entire 900 generation? A 70/60 class would be near the performance of a previous generations 80/ti.

Probably just vacation anyway. Vega is out and it is getting bought be it film indstry, miners or gamers that got their hands on it. Also in professional space, server and all. 

RX Vega just started to show up in retail where I am in all SKUs now. Though custom cards yet to come. 

And that info about next improved Vega flagship Vega 20 on 7nm just seems odd, not to mention rumored mid range Vega chip with HBM2 hmm. 

Also, isn't he mainly working on Navi though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

How do you come to that conclusion, the 1080 outperforms the entire 900 generation? A 70/60 class would be near the performance of a previous generations 80/ti.

Gpus class is determined by die size not perf. And if you go back to older generations the 80 class chip is 450 mm2 or more. The 1080 Gpus is in the 300s

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Probably just vacation anyway. Vega is out and it is getting bought be it film indstry, miners or gamers that got their hands on it. Also in professional space, server and all. 

RX Vega just started to show up in retail where I am in all SKUs now. Though custom cards yet to come. 

And that info about next improved Vega flagship Vega 20 on 7nm just seems odd, not to mention rumored mid range Vega chip with HBM2 hmm. 

Also, isn't he mainly working on Navi though. 

Vega 20 will probably be Vega with fp64, so it will be really compute focused, also easy to see by the crazy amount of hbm2 on it