RTG Raja's going on a break, Lisa Su is stepping in for the next few months

YongKang
1 hour ago, nicolas2465 said:

Can AMD just fire the entire team that makes the gaming radeon cards and hire some ex-Nvidia employees or something?  The CPU team did awesome with Ryzen.  They need a team like that for Radeon.  AMD GPUs are a fucking mess.  I'd never recommend their cards at this point

Their GPUs are not a mess. They are "competitive". The whole situation is a mess. Marketing and hype which built high expectations vs reality is also part of the problem. 

The whole mining situation has just thrown a wrench into the mix for AMD and I don't think they quite know what to do about it because it's really frustrating for their loyal gaming customers, yet they're getting the sales they desperately need for revenue.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, nicolas2465 said:

Can AMD just fire the entire team that makes the gaming radeon cards and hire some ex-Nvidia employees or something?  The CPU team did awesome with Ryzen.  They need a team like that for Radeon.  AMD GPUs are a fucking mess.  I'd never recommend their cards at this point

You do know it takes ~3 years to see how leadership change effects products like CPU/GPUs

Raja has been in AMD for 2 years, it is said that Navi is going to be the first GPU he worked on start to finish. and note it took 4 years to get Ryzen out the door.

If they fired the team and started new expect the 3-4 years of 0 new innovative products. at least we are getting some upgrades as they work on Navi.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 hours ago, YongKang said:

Well, that's odd.

ceos arent allowed breaks and must work 24/7 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Sadly AMD kinda made that relevantish for gamers with having games optimized for Rapid Packed Math on Vega. The deep learning stuff is mostly about FP16 and FP8 throughput, which is what RPM is all about too.

Not all of the Deep Learning stuff they cut out for the consumer cards is relevant, but enough of it is that we'll likely either see them ignore RPM at the cost of a few fps in certain games, or (less likely) keep the full throughput fp16 hardware in the consumer chips, at the risk of canibalizing other markets.

Imo that's a good thing. If it is already in the GPU, can be enabled and improve performance, why not? AMD doesn't really care about risking cannibalizing their own market, threadripper and epyc proves this point. It's something like this that can force (in this case) Nvidia do enable some pro-grade stuff on their cpu again and take a (in)direct hit on their pro-grade market.

For consumers stuff has been going relatively well but nvidia ruined FP16 and FP64 performance really hard on everything that's not a quadro since the titan X (maxwell).

But then again the high-end nvidia cards are still much faster than Vega in gaming... I guess it will be an interesting battle in the lower-end of the professional market.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

17 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I mean I guess there's a chance nVIDIA would fall into the same position that Intel did and then get blindsided by a miracle like Ryzen. But I personally think nVIDIA is a much bigger mountain to climb than Intel.

The problem is that nvidia has made good performance improvements in their gpus generation over generation regardless of competition while Intel stagnated. Nvidia will likely continue to do this and the only thing they are doing as the result of lack of competition is waiting to release volta which is good for both companies in all honesty.

TIL tech companies are like sports teams. Things not looking so good? Sack the manager. 

There is an internal letter in RTG that was leaked. He said he is taking a break to spend time with his family until December, him and Lisa thought Q4 was the best time to do so.

RTG's inception was probably a serious grind over the last couple years, probably hasnt had much time for family. Or its an ill family member.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

Post does not posting guidelines, OP please adjust your post.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

When post is corrected it will be moved back.

- Thread Moved to General Discussion -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I stole this pic of Raja on vacation!

59b9b53e3ec59_rajavacation.gif.7bcd8a3864029c0d8e95ee253794c722.gif

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Personally, I find Vega a complete disappointment, I find the lack of a 590 to be a disappointment, I think Raja needs to go.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sounds like he's just taking some time off to be with this family.

At the beginning of the year I warned that Vega would be hard. At the time, some folks didn’t believe me. Now many of you understand what I said. Vega was indeed hard on many, and my sincere heartfelt thanks to all of you who endured the Vega journey with me. Vega was personally hard on me as well and I used up a lot of family credits during this journey. I have decided to take a time-off in Q4 to spend time with my family. I have been contemplating this for a while now and there was never a good time to do this. Lisa and I agreed that Q4 is better than 2018, before the next wave of product excitement.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11836/raja-koduri-sabbatical

9 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Personally, I find Vega a complete disappointment, I find the lack of a 590 to be a disappointment, I think Raja needs to go.

vega 11 (polaris replacement) is coming soonish, and vega is crazy fast in most prosumer workloads, and seeing how nvidea always sold better even when they have dog shit as a product (gtx260) its a good call to focus on the markets that have better informed people and have higher profits per card

12 hours ago, cj09beira said:

vega 11 (polaris replacement) is coming soonish, and vega is crazy fast in most prosumer workloads, and seeing how nvidea always sold better even when they have dog shit as a product (gtx260) its a good call to focus on the markets that have better informed people and have higher profits per card

I'm a gamer, I don't care in the slightest about prosumer workloads or those markets.

I want competition, and they basically aren't competing. They don't even seem to be trying in my opinion. It seems more like they're still drinking their own koolaid and eating glue in the corner, while Nvidia does whatever the fuck it wants.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm a gamer, I don't care in the slightest about prosumer workloads or those markets.

I want competition, and they basically aren't competing. They don't even seem to be trying in my opinion. It seems more like they're still drinking their own koolaid and eating glue in the corner, while Nvidia does whatever the fuck it wants.

It was this exact point that made jump ship after 15 years of ATI/AND cards. I had bought a high end 7970 and thought I could wait out the "value" silliness that the 400 and 500 series cards were for Vega, I even went so far that when I needed a replacement monitor I got one with Freesync.

But Vega wasn't the replacement for my 7970 that I had hoped for and do when a lightning strike fried my card I bought a 1080 ti.

I'm increasingly disgusted with AMD both on cpu and gpu sides because of their "value" based strategies at the cost of raw performance in consumer use, but everyone and their mother seems to bend over backwards trying to sing their praises as the 2nd coming. /rant

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

6 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

It was this exact point that made jump ship after 15 years of ATI/AND cards. I had bought a high end 7970 and thought I could wait out the "value" silliness that the 400 and 500 series cards were for Vega, I even went so far that when I needed a replacement monitor I got one with Freesync.

But Vega wasn't the replacement for my 7970 that I had hoped for and do when a lightning strike fried my card I bought a 1080 ti.

I'm increasingly disgusted with AMD both on cpu and gpu sides because of their "value" based strategies at the cost of raw performance in consumer use, but everyone and their mother seems to bend over backwards trying to sing their praises as the 2nd coming. /rant

because even with great products like the 7970, 4800 series, 5000 series, they didn't sell as much as nvidea's they simply cant keep up the same pace if they don't sell, because most consumers are uninformed its hard to sell the cards, their marketing team doesn't help either, so they have to focus their efforts to the most profitable areas,vega is to enter the server/prosumer market where they have a better time selling their cards. 

consumers now are being less of a focus and i cant blame them.