iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology

@shermantanker

The camera bump in the back is very very ugly and the extra vertical screen space on left and right in useless. Also Control Center now can be accessed only from corners. On the stage the Face ID stuff did not work on the first try....

Oh, the new baby of S8/G6 X looks dope. It's the where the top speaker is that is bugging me. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

That lack of TouchID really pissed me off. 

I feel that any facial recognition will never be as fast as a fingerprint reader, since it's possible to use it without looking at your phone (and vice versa).

Or maybe it's just the lazy part of me talking.

I don't think it will be an issue for me personally, and the tech they demoed look pretty damn impressive. I have a feeling it might beet intel/windows hello, and they were already working really well. On a plus side gloves/wet hands won't be an issue.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, dorin said:

@shermantanker

The camera bump in the back is very very ugly and the extra vertical screen space on left and right in useless. Also Control Center now can be accessed only from corners. On the stage the Face ID stuff did not work on the first try....

No it did. That first time it said "you need to use your passcode to ENABLE face ID" it already does this with Touch ID when you are inactive for awhile or restart it. They just forgot to put the code in before.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Just now, Technicolors said:

disable the navbar? you can, but use what else? i use Pie controls on my S8 and honestly it's pretty janky, but having that navbar sucks 

and swipe up to bring the app drawer from the home screen, swipe up to go back to the home screen from an app, swipe the left edge to bring the recent apps, swipe the right edge to go back, double tap notification bar to turn off the screen, double tap screen to turn it off, or just ignore all of the above and use them as shortcuts for specific apps

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

I don't think it will be an issue for me personally, and the tech they demoed look pretty damn impressive. I have a feeling it might beet intel/windows hello, and they were already working really well. On a plus side gloves/wet hands won't be an issue.

It's true that gloves aren't an issue anymore, and the demo was impressive.

But it'll always be fingerprint scanner > facial recognition

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

My Summary:

Apple iPhone X; not for me, too immature for me, and i need a Touch ID home button.

Apple iPhone 8/8+; For me, i can take those specs, i like the 4K 60 (i think its on this model)

Apple TV4K; I'm bloody getting it. My Apple TV needs upgraded, and now pretty much makes my 4K BluRay player obsolete, i got it for free.

Apple Watch; Makes me wonder if it will replace my G-Shock WatchWatch, however it all depends on what bands are available as i like a stainless steel band.

Im disappointed Apple never came out with a new Apple version of Amazon Alexa, I'm pretty demand sure that the Apple FanBoi and FanGrl out there would all pounce on having a fully automated Apple House. As if there was a "hi siri, can you tell me the weather today" when you get up i the morning and not using your phone, and was sold for $499, they would have sold a boat load, and we all know that Apple need more cash.

As for AppleTV, I'm pretty sure that Apple will soon start to bid for sporting rights around the world, as Apple could kill Cable TV in the USA/Canada and also have a major rival to Sky Satellite TV and all the Internet variants across Europe.

iPhones were just a rouse, Watches were a side show, the real story here for me is the AppleTV4K as its a serious threat to all Cable, Satellite and Media providers out there.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

38 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

100% agree, it doesn't hurt to add more customization options

To be fair, many people (including me) barely customise their android devices so... :P 

To be honest, the only thing I'll miss is my soundcloud widget but hey, I usually end up having to open up SC to choose the correct music anyway so I'm sure that 10 seconds less of a random song isn't that bad...

Edited by Mr.Meerkat
Typo of many (originally typed may)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1000$ and still missing a basic feature.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

My initial reaction is...is this it?????

The iPhone 8 is basically an iPhone 7 with a faster chip, although the body/face sensor thing may add more to the experience. That aside, though...it's really not a major upgrade from even something like a 6S...

As for the iPhone X, it looks much better...but the design isn't really impressive, considering that it looks like every other flagship phone out right now. At least they've finally added OLED and a higher resolution. Again, the Face ID thing looks like it might be pretty useful...but Animoji...really? Come on. That's supposed to be a fucking feature? Does Jacksfilms work for Apple now, or something? And...wireless charging. About time they caught up, though I never understood why it was such a big deal. 

Wait...the fingerprint sensor was removed? But the less expensive iPhone 8 models still have it?? Disappointing, and I also call bullshit. They could've easily added it to the back. It'll be interesting to see how Apple's replacement for the physical buttons fares against the software buttons that other manufacturers have implemented, though. 

The A11 should be (as usual) the fastest (smartphone) processor on the market, and Apple never really fails to impress me with their engineering capabilities. That alone doesn't really look like it'll make the iPhone X worth $400 (Canadian) over the Galaxy S8, though. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. Specs aren't everything. 

Smartphones impress me less and less these days...I remember when the iPhone 5S was the coolest thing ever...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

I don't think it will be an issue for me personally,

As an S8+ user who primarily uses IRIS scanner, there will be plenty of times it will be an issue. Thats what the FP is for.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

As an S8+ user who primarily uses IRIS scanner, there will be plenty of times it will be an issue. Thats what the FP is for.

As another user who has been using S8+ since the device launched I must say I don't agree with this statement,Iris scanning has been pretty spot on for me most and I barely even use the fingerprint but it would be indeed nice to have both on a device.

The iPhone X Demo looked pretty good to me the front camera bezel to me looked like a part of the screen while they were demoing the phone,though it looked a bit weird while they were viewing the video.

6 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

It'll be interesting to see how Apple's replacement for the physical buttons fares against the software buttons that other manufacturers have implemented, though. 

Does it have on screen controls? I thought it only had the gesture thing.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

If your parents truly love you they will get you an iphone X this Christmas. 

If you got an iphone 8 and below, you are adopted. 

If you got an android phone.... well... I let you figured it out yourself.. 

59b8386445423_ScreenShot2017-09-13at3_40_59AM.thumb.png.5f0f9495e1abcbf176573d73c9297e1d.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and swipe up to bring the app drawer from the home screen, swipe up to go back to the home screen from an app, swipe the left edge to bring the recent apps, swipe the right edge to go back, double tap notification bar to turn off the screen, double tap screen to turn it off, or just ignore all of the above and use them as shortcuts for specific apps

i actually have heard of some of these gestures, but these don't work on every device, least some of them (i know the first gesture can be done in Nova launcher, but the double tap screen doesn't work unless you have root 

an experience like just swiping from the bottom to navigate just like a navbar is something i got out of the iphone x demo 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

i recently tried using the iris scanner after getting pissed with the fingerprint sensor. it's not bad, tho i wear glasses and the time it takes for me to take it off, i would have already completed my pattern lock and do whatever i have to do. plus i have to hold the phone at an odd angle 

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Does it have on screen controls? I thought it only had the gesture thing.

It has the gesture thing, I think. 

JUST BUY A GODDAMN IPHONE 6S EVERYONE

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

The only thing missing on the X is TouchID, otherwise it's pretty solid. Probably will just get the 8 though, although I do wonder if wireless charging works with cases on.

@Chaos_Sorcerer I don't think i saw on screen controls so that's why i was curious.

If they just went with only the gesture control i think a lot of people will have problems with that.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@mynameisjuan How is the fingerprint reader on the S8? It looks really uncomfortable. 

You fucking bet it is not comfortable. Just imagine someone keep rubbing your glasses with their oily finger. Yuck.

#Thanks Samsung! 

Spoiler

original-9735-1404151188-3.jpg?downsize=

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

JUST BUY A GODDAMN IPHONE 6S EVERYONE

Or a Galaxy S7/S8 ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or a Galaxy S7/S8 ;)

I was gonna put that at first, but then...you know..."HUR DUR YOUR'E AN ANDROID FANBOY HUR DUR"

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or a Galaxy S7/S8 ;)

See my fucking point above.