iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology

iPhone 8 and X officially announced

The jump from the iPhone 7 to the iPhone 8 is pretty significant, marking the first time since the iPhone 3GS was released back in 2009 that an iPhone model hasn’t received a spec-boosted “S” variant. Apple may be moving up numerically, but the new iPhone 8 models look to continue the same rough design the company has been using since 2014 from the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

apple-iphone-2017-20170912-11554.thumb.JPG.aa53c3f5cb2b75d7988f8d6f4d29035f.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11519.JPG.37e53623e6f91f0fa625c1b3115339b8.JPG

The long-awaited and extensively leaked special edition iPhone is finally upon us, and it’s called the iPhone X. This new super flagship phone from Apple features an edge-to-edge screen with a notch at the top to accommodate the front-facing camera and new Face ID sensors. Apple CEO Tim Cook teased the introduction of the the new device with the following words:

“Over the past decade, we've pushed forward with innovation after innovation, bringing us to this moment, when we can create devices that are far more intelligent, far more capable, and far more creative than ever before.”

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11670.JPG.fca0e2078f81ac15ccaf8ea806115ef7.JPGapple-iphone-2017-20170912-12115.thumb.JPG.8b6cb42e81c61cd62efa6c69e48e7880.JPG

apple-iphone-2017-20170912-12024.thumb.JPG.783527e55172a190b6d688598dd78484.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11726.JPG.f02fa5229015afa60c2f3a9d025df82d.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11729.JPG.48cd3b8b63161562c01a70a35623b58f.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11638.JPG.da067252894f1ef0b366b6dbdef6c7aa.JPG

apple-iphone-2017-20170912-12099.thumb.JPG.269923fbc9c63fcf57cfba1e58f4d823.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11675.JPG.b90b5957ee07757a5d66ca48628aa557.JPG

apple-iphone-2017-20170912-12127.thumb.JPG.848844fe2b3237f1eda699d4a0c2a3fa.JPG

iPhone X is the quintessential expression of Apple's Mantra based on Steve Jobs's quote during the launch of the original iPhone

"I skate to where the puck is going to be not to where it has been"

Availability

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus: Pre-orders starting September 15. Launches September 22nd.

iPhone X: Pre-orders starting October 27th. Launches November 3rd.

sources:

https://live.theverge.com/apple-live-blog-2017-iphone-8-event/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16277764/apple-iphone-8-announced-features-price-release-date

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16288806/apple-iphone-x-price-release-date-features-announced

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Edited by iamdarkyoshi
Fixed for night theme users

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

The iPhone 8 is kinda meh, the iPhone X is way more interesting :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Any word on if they'll finally update the OS to match the hardware, or is it still intended to be a kid's toy?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

fuck me is someone at apple sick? they finally noticed phones can charge faster than 5W.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Simply place the phone on a charging pad, and it’ll charge up (with the added bonus for iPhone users that wirelessly charging leaves the Lighting port free for wired headphones)

Funny, I can do that with my 5 year old phone too. It's called a headphone jack. 

I'm wondering where the fingerprint scanner is. Is it on the side? 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Any word on if they'll finally update the OS to match the hardware, or is it still intended to be a kid's toy?

They would make the GUI customizable but they don't want to scare the users by providing the ability to change a setting.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Funny, I can do that with my 5 year old phone too. It's called a headphone jack. 

I'm wondering where the fingerprint scanner is. Is it on the side? 

I had heard they were going to remove it because it didn't work with the OLED screen but that's just too insane, I can't imagine they would, even coming form the company that removed the headphone jack :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

face unlock, they call it "face ID" 

So no fingerprint scanner? You actually have to get the phone out and face it towards you to unlock it (obviously, you still have the code). Being able to just rest your finger on the scanner as you pull it from your pocket is by far the quickest and easiest way to unlock phones right now. I really hope other brands don't blindly follow Apple with stuff like this like they have with the headphone jack.

Apples profits must be slipping for them to make the entire phone glass again. I wonder how many folks had iphone 4 flashbacks. xD

Only good thing to come from this conference was the death of PMA wireless charging.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Finally a waterproof(rather, resistant) iPhone :o 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

official apple event, not Iverge https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Capture.PNG.3f5be4aad04276df111f4654c3d4dfa6.PNG

xD wow. no, more like "your website doesn't support universally standard methods"

7 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

They would make the GUI customizable but they don't want to scare the users by providing the ability to change a setting.

or with the concept of "files", where you can save things from one program and then open them in another

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I had heard they were going to remove it because it didn't work with the OLED screen but that's just too insane, I can't imagine they would, even coming form the company that removed the headphone jack :P 

Supposedly they were trying to get it to work under the front glass (think quite a lot of companies are trying that as bezel-less phones become more popular). Didn't think they would just outright get rid of it. I would have actually been impressed if they had chosen to make the Apple logo the fingerprint scanner, that would actually be pretty cool and go back to some of the good seemless designs that Apple used to be known for. 

Now they're just removing useful things and calling it courageous. Maybe if they'd be willing to let go of their money grabbing lightning connector and instead adopt USB C like everybody else, the removal of the headphone jack could be the future with everything being USB C. 

I'm glad that they've finally decided to go for wireless charging, but really they're a bit late to the party, especially considering it's going to be Apple pricing, making the S8+ even more appealing. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

So no fingerprint scanner? You actually have to get the phone out and face it towards you to unlock it (obviously, you still have the code). Being able to just rest your finger on the scanner as you pull it from your pocket is by far the quickest and easiest way to unlock phones right now. I really hope other brands don't blindly follow Apple with stuff like this like they have with the headphone jack.

Best part is it didnt work right off in the demo...hhahaha

But on my S8+ the iris scanner is amazing and work great and actually is just as fast as the FP reader. So when on a table you can just lift up and its unlocked. But my pupils tend to dilate extremely easily and at times you cannot see my iris so it can be picky but this is facial recognition on the X and not iris.  

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

[...]

Now they're just removing useful things and calling it courageous. Maybe if they'd be willing to let go of their money grabbing lightning connector and instead adopt USB C like everybody else, the removal of the headphone jack could be the future with everything being USB C. 

[...]

On that topic, I had heard they actually were going to switch to USB-C, so if that's true, huge points in my book for getting over themselves and just doing what's right.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

100% agree, it doesn't hurt to add more customization options

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Also glad apple only managed 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio an OLED.

Maybe next year they will catch up to infinity to 1 like every other OLED panel.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

100% agree, it doesn't hurt to add more customization options

It's interesting that's the first thing everyone thinks of when they read this but tbh that was the last thing on my mind.... the last item on a long list of things they need to do.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Looks like they did just that. You have to you use your face now.. :( 

So the 8 is basically a 6s with a glass back that you can't see because you'll want to put a case on it, and the X is the same as an 8 (so a 6s) but with a bigger screen and because Apple couldn't make a fingerprint scanner under a screen they went with a facial scanner.

And they want to charge $1000 for that?

A5lV6RU.gif

So basically get the 6s for $450 and you're good to go.

Ye ole' train

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

On that topic, I had heard they actually were going to switch to USB-C, so if that's true, huge points in my book for getting over themselves and just doing what's right.

I thought it was a USB C connector when I was looking through the pictures, but alas, a search for "USB" shows nothing and "lightning" comes up a number of times. If they had gone with USB C I would have been willing to give them a pass on pretty much everything else as it would show they are actually looking towards the future and not just trying to get money from third parties when they make things using the lightning connector. I hope the iPhone X does use USB C, even though it won't make me want one, it would at least restore a little bit of faith in Apple. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Best part is it didnt work right off in the demo...hhahaha

But on my S8+ the iris scanner is amazing and work great and actually is just as fast as the FP reader. So when on a table you can just lift up and its unlocked. But my pupils tend to dilate extremely easily and at times you cannot see my iris so it can be picky but this is facial recognition and not iris.  

How does it work in low/no light settings?

I just kind of hate facial recognition stuff, it tends to suck and even when it is good, there's still loads of situations where it doesn't work. I was doing some work on my house recently that involved a lot of flying bits of rubble, so I had full face protection on. Fingerprint scanner works fine but face recognition wouldn't work without taking everything off. I get having the option of both, but getting rid of one and only give you one option is stupid. 

Source: Apple's live stream (requires Safari or Microsoft Edge because those two support HTTP Live Streaming, Chrome and others don't :()

We'll see if the big leaks are true and not fake news

The stream begins with a chill music playlist while showing the tour of the new Steve Jobs Theater. Then followed by Steve Job's last words before passing away. In the end, Steve Jobs is still one of the world's best salesman in my opinion. Also, @LinusTech changed his profile picture back to that Steve Jobs-like picture. You can watch Linus and Edzel's commentary on Twitch that I can't watch live while I'm also watching Apple's live event, maybe later but hey, I wish Linus and his team will do more live commentary Twitch streams for other product launches. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174248731

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+

• All glass
  • Comes in gold, silver and space gray
  • 7000 series aluminum
  • Glass design reinforced by steel
  • Retina HD Display (5.5" and 4.7")
  • Stereo Speakers that are 25% louder than iPhone 7 with deeper bass