Corridor Calls Out LTT on RED Video

2 hours ago, Jonkree said:

I watch both Corridor Digital and Linus Tech Tips for quite some time now, but I never really had the reason to post something on their respective communities, but doesn't Linus already explain the reason why the RED camera is so expensive in the "GeForce vs Quadro as Fast As Possible" Techquickie video? It's for companies with a lot of money, that want to make more money, so the manufacturer demands more money (also it costs more to make) and it fuels RND. Also everyone does it...

I guess he does, but that is my main issue with the original LTT video. They should have added some kind of explanation or reasoning at the end of the video to keep it more balanced. Wouldn't have lessened the entertainment you got from the rant but would have made them look better for their own purchase decisions and also been better for people who don't know the first thing about cameras. 
For me it left kind of a bad after taste and it would have been nice to have a reasonable voice to tie it all up. 

I think people are missing one important fact.  

Linus never said the camera wasn't worth it or that they regret buying them.  (unless I missed something)

He did an unboxing in his style.  Holy Sh!t this is expensive.  And it is.  

The video here in the OP makes a couple valid points but overall it was a case of people bitching because they wanted to bitch. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

33 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Linus never said the camera wasn't worth it

He heavily implied it, mostly in regards to the accessories. He also gave the impression that he regretted buying it all but I understand that that was probably part of the act.

My brother noticed that I watch LTT lots and the channel Sam and Niko, from Corridor Digital called out Linus for making the worst video about Red Camera's and they made it so you have to watch the whole video but I haven't watched it fully yet but it's a basic call out video and before I ramble on and on here's the link the video 

yeah @LinusTech you got call out 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

The number of people who care?

Survey says: ding* 0 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The number of people who care?

Survey says: ding* 0 

I was letting people know 

I'm watch the video right now and its the pinnacle of the shittiest editing I have ever seen. 

There are two stories going on in an 11min video......wtf is this am I watching a video about 3D printing a mask, filming some scenes with a tank, or calling Linus out?

Also some of their points are bull.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

21 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

My brother noticed that I watch LTT lots and the channel Sam and Niko, from Corridor Digital called out Linus for making the worst video about Red Camera's and they made it so you have to watch the whole video but I haven't watched it fully yet but it's a basic call out video and before I ramble on and on here's the link the video 

yeah @LinusTech you got call out 

Linus never said that that was a bad camera, he was just complaining about the obserd pricing mainly. 

1 minute ago, MineParker101 said:

he was just complaining about the obserd pricing mainly.

And he is right. 

Lul, these guys just want to criticize Linus for view count, maybe they will realize that Linus's video was ironic in many ways and their points like they knew everything, wasn't even an great argument against what Linus said.

Also.. feelsbadman when they think Red files are not processor intensive, but instead memory intensive as the task manager shows CPU at 100 percent load while the memory was not the bottleneck at 22.7/63.9GB. 

Heheh just trying to farm views from stupid criticism against a popular Youtuber. acting like they know tech better than Linus.

So someone using LTT for views. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

2 minutes ago, noobadin said:

So someone using LTT for views. 

Yeah 

I know nothing about red camera. 

Could you guys confirm which points they make are actually accurate? 

After watching that video I felt (just felt) they have more knowledge about camera and cinematography than linus...

I don't know why.  

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

*snip*

This was already posted.

Threads merged.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Could you guys confirm which points they make are actually accurate? 

All of their points are accurate, but that's not to say that Linus doesn't have some valid point in his video.

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

After watching that video I felt (just felt) they have more knowledge about camera and cinematography than linus...

Having more knowledge about cameras and cinematography than Linus is not exactly a feat...

It is a very safe bet to say that they know vastly more than Linus about cameras.

3 hours ago, whoisit1118 said:

Also.. feelsbadman when they think Red files are not processor intensive, but instead memory intensive as the task manager shows CPU at 100 percent load while the memory was not the bottleneck at 22.7/63.9GB. 

I don't have anything I can test it with, but that seems correct to me.

The Radeon Pro SSG does not have up to 1TB of memory on the card just because AMD felt like it was a cool thing to do.

It would be interesting to see the scrubbing performance if Linus started shooting at 20:1 compression (assuming he doesn't do that already) but then again, I wouldn't really trust Linus to be honest in such a test anymore.

Linus is not a stupid person. Unless he comes on here to say otherwise, the video about the RED camera and its costs were essentially tongue in cheek; it wasn't a criticism-laden rant with legitimate issues.

Yes, to the average person, RED cameras and their ecosystem is crazy expensive, and we have a "close" facsimile in the computer world known as Apple, where they're dressing up their stuff and how they were fond of using proprietary things (when lots of us know how normal their components were).

But in the end, he authorized the purchase of all of it, and setup his team with the tools required, understanding most of that. Now, we can still argue about whether LMG is getting the full value of a RED camera with the kind of videos they do, but unless they manage to damage them, they're going to have a lot of time to grow into fully utilizing them with greater effect as time goes on.

26 minutes ago, divito said:

Linus is not a stupid person. Unless he comes on here to say otherwise, the video about the RED camera and its costs were essentially tongue in cheek; it wasn't a criticism-laden rant with legitimate issues.

Yes, to the average person, RED cameras and their ecosystem is crazy expensive, and we have a "close" facsimile in the computer world known as Apple, where they're dressing up their stuff and how they were fond of using proprietary things (when lots of us know how normal their components were).

But in the end, he authorized the purchase of all of it, and setup his team with the tools required, understanding most of that. Now, we can still argue about whether LMG is getting the full value of a RED camera with the kind of videos they do, but unless they manage to damage them, they're going to have a lot of time to grow into fully utilizing them with greater effect as time goes on.

I feel like people are missing this and taking Linus' video waaaaay too seriously. Besides, isn't there a bit of irony that Corridor is ripping apart (in what seems to be a serious manner) a video of Linus' tongue-in-cheek price complaints?

Also, that buying 3rd party components to better suit their needs comment...really comes off as, "it was cheaper," and they didn't want to contradict themselves. But, I could be very wrong. 

To everyone saying that Linus was not being serious, look at the comments. If that was Linus' intention then it failed horribly because a lot of the comments are just agreeing with what Linus said (presumably as sarcasm?). When your audience agrees with you, when you're trying to be sarcastic, then you have fucked up.

When you got hundreds of thousands of people watching you and expect your content to be informative then "I was just pretending to be stupid" is not a valid excuse.

But then we get to the underlying issue that people watch Linus and expect the content to be informative. Maybe this is just me but I think this whole "let's post some shallow reviews every once in a while and then post a bunch of dumb stuff as well" deal doesn't quite work. At least in Linus' case, it might become very hard for people to differentiate between "this is Linus deliberately saying stupid things, so I should laugh and not take it as fact" and "this is Linus saying something that is actually true".

If you post both serious and non-serious things on your channel then you need to make it clear which is which. Otherwise you end up making your audience more stupid (which was one of the reasons why I absolutely hated TekSyndicate and was very glad when that channel failed).

If people constantly become less knowledgeable after watching your videos then you should stop making videos (or make it so that people fully understand that they should not come to you for information). (and just to clarify, that was the problem I had with Logan at TekSyndicate, not necessarily Linus, but I haven't watched Linus for a long time so I don't know how bad he is these days).

Also, lol at the Linus fanboys going over to Sam and Niko to thumb the video down. 

Here is a post by Jarred the CEO of RED talking a little bit about prices yesterday. 

As you can see one big part which I have mentioned in my previous comments if the prices they pay for components. As we can see here with the memory shortage and prices for DDR going up the prices of certain things go up in value. He even said when they start to produce more mags the overall price will go down. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 10.43.01.png

I'm going to go straight up LTT fanboy and defend @LinusTech here.

1) I don't think that video was  meant to be sarcastic, it was an off the hook reaction of Linus finding out what he paid for, he's not questioning why they needed the parts, he's just not happy about how much they cost.

Of course Linus knew how much the RED gear cost, and why they cost as much as they do (he approved the purchase, didn't he?). But just like most people he doesn't have to be happy with how much it cost. For example, I complained about the cost of my car when I bought it, and you'll occasionally still hear me b*tch about it, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to pay for it, I know what quality costs and will pony up, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. Linus was the same with the RED gear, he knew how much it cost, he was willing to pay it, but was not happy about it. Sometimes we want something and will pay what it costs to obtain it, but won't be happy about what it cost; it's part of life.

2) Part of what makes LTT great is that all the people working are massive gear heads, Linus and @Slick love messing with PCs, @BRollTheIntern is bogo for camera gear, @TaranLMG uploaded a 3 hour tutorial on Premier, you get the idea. Sometimes they go all out because they want to play with the gear and have a badass tech setup because they enjoy the experience. That's part of what the RED cameras are, this is Linus helping Brandon and Maxine improve their video quality by investing in some crazy gear (This is their version of full room watercooling). They do it because they want to.

3) Linus knows very well the importance of investing in your employees and business, sure he could have managed with some cheap-ish 4k camera like a GH5 like most other tech youtubers, but with the RED gear he's investing in the future (Remember, this is the guy who bought a 4k sony camera back in 1080p youtube days). 

Just because Youtube doesn't support mainstream 8K doesn't mean LTT cannot use all those extra pixels, the more detail that's captured the easier the editors will be able to use those clips. With more detail, the editors have more options to clip or zoom into a clip. With RED raw footage they can do a lot of post production work that makes the videos a better production value.

Linus believes in delivering quality content to youtube (just look at his videos where they look into their video editing process) and they want their videos look their best on youtube and while the RED gear might be overkill, Linus probably believes that the investment is worth it.

And LMG also uploads to FPC, and with the higher bitrate FPC videos look so much better than Youtube and I will presume that as FPC takes off, LTT will be looking to upload better quality videos to FPC and maybe move to 8k at a really good bitrate.

16 hours ago, BuckGup said:

I agree 87% with them. The area in which RED's excel are movie sets. They have incredible low light performance, you can color grade them for days, they don't have visual anomalies, and the list goes on and on. I can see Linus simply wants the best for him and the viewers but having a RED camera for Youtube is silly. The first being the whole res idea but the second is compression. Take a beautiful video and compress the hell out of it and people's internets are going to only support 480p or 720p and they don't think twice. Maybe with the floatplane club we can get some incredible looking footage without youtube's compression.   

480 or 720? I don't know one single person whos internet can not handle at least 1080p. My internet handles 2k and 4k with ease but my pc is to shit and the screen rez is 1080 anyway. It is not that stupid to use Red for youtube as maybe in a few years you wanna show some old footage and by then maybe everyone can watch in 4k so it is nice to have it filmed in that rez. Also, Linus is not the only youtuber using RED, watch MKBHD, he also uses RED and his videos look f*cking incredible.

So, in summary: cinema bros who are used to being f'ed in the A by high end camera makers don't feel like it's such a big deal, since "the shots are way more expensive than the camera" anyways, so don't complain about it?

I think they're missing the point and the spirit of the video Linus uploaded. A popular youtuber making the jump to a much higher tier of camera gear is bound to suffer from some sticker shock and the guys who have already long since bought into the ecosystem will obviously shrug and say it's not so bad despite the clear fact that most of those items are wildly overpriced. Yeah he wasn't the most informed about it all in the video, but that's because he's just starting with Red gear and he's not even the camera savvy guy in the crew so of course he's not gonna know everything about them. He's just taking a risk by putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to creating the highest quality content he knows how to and hoping it'll pay off. 

PS. they mention how if he spent the money on the products he shouldn't make a video complaining about it... So obviously the best thing to do is to make a video and complain about him making a video complaining about it. Youtube auto-fellatio at it's finest.

Now in defense of the clickbait thumbnails.

LMG is a business and have to make decisions that increase views, and if their research shows the new thumbnail style does that, they YES they should make those weird thumbnails. I'm sure @nicklmg and @CPotter won't approve of any changes that hurt sales and viewership.

I don't care either way about the thumbnails, I watch LTT for their content not a thumbnail I barely look at.I'm not sure that the thumbnail somehow makes the quality of the content within the video less enjoyable. No matter the thumbnail they use, Linus will still drop tech, Taran will steal all the cutlery, and Jon will ramble on about a topic no one really cares about.

And for everyone complaining about how LTT videos have dropped in quality from the golden years/months of LTT, deal with it, stop watching LTT videos, or whatever. LTT has always had a mix of good videos and ones that I stopped watching two minutes in. When you release over 400 videos a year there will be some bad ones.

And as LTT grows as a business there will be some changes, bigger projects, different writing and editing styles, and if any of those changes hurt viewership then LTT will backtrack, but as long as the changes improve viewership then LTT will continue making those changes.

IMO, LTT is one of the few youtubers who have improved as they've grown, I've unsubscribed a few channels who grew too fast and lost the core feature that made them interesting (favorite example is pewdiepie, I subbed a guy gaming and unsubscribed a guy who was vlogging his life). 

The guys from CorridorDigital started good by explaining why some things cost how much they cost but I think that they only wanted to pick on every single thing that Linus has said, I mean 200$ cable??? You can invent as many arguments as you want but are u f*cking deluded? It's a god damn cable, same with the screen.