Corridor Calls Out LTT on RED Video

2 minutes ago, The Ran said:

Trust me, the people that matter to them know who they are. LMG makes most of their money through Youtube so views count, for Corridor it's just a side thing so they don't really care if they don't have as many views. My point is not to compare them but that it's silly to suggest that Corridor would make the video just to get more views by namedropping Linus.

Look, just because EA funded their production of a Battlefield inspired action series where they even rented a tank for $50 000, that doesn't make them any them anything significant.  What they're really desperate for is a ReTweet by Linus, amirite?

Seems like they are also a big fan of the RED $20,000 bluetooth dildo that they can't take out of their asses. 

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Look, just because EA funded their production of a Battlefield inspired action series where they even rented a tank for $50 000, that doesn't make them any them anything significant.  What they're really desperate for is a ReTweet by Linus, amirite?

I bet EA just went with the lowest costing company that could make an OKAY video noting really impressive if you ask me. But if all it takes is renting a 50,000 tank to impress ladies with money I don't even own I am all in. 

1 hour ago, suits said:

and no one knows who they are still. That's the point. I couldn't care less if coridor or someone else works on the projects. And they know it. Most people have never even heard of them before. And they are using this to cry about it

"I have never heard of them, therefore nobody has and they are just jealous".

It seems like a lot of LTT fans are very salty over someone daring to criticize Linus. Instead of responding to the actual points and criticism raised by the video they instead just thumb down the video, leave mean comments and then go circlejerk on this forum.

Linus, you often say your audience is full of adults. Well, judging by this they aren't. Because they are acting like 12 year girls who just got told Justin Bieber is a bad singer.

Some of the comments your "mature" fans have left on the video:

Spoiler

Ok why are you bugged he didn't call you out

He never said anything to your rude but your just throwing shade

I'm unsubscribing I thought you guys were nice people but the shade you threw wasn't necessary you could have just said that red is worth it and explained why instead of talking shit about Linus

Oh wow here we go again. A retarded studio calls out a YouTuber for views. No, they can't do anything else. Like every other retarded clickbait youtuber they upload their shitty cancer vlogs, then leave 1/4 of the video for the actual thing. Like seriously you have to fucking calm down you two retards.

Such a fucking gay video, go fuck yourselves.

every day you guys get more dramatic... how about you guys focus on making videos for your dying main youtube channel instead of being drama whores...? linus could also shit on you for the amount of inaccurate shit you say about computers.. just saying

Wow, this video was made just to hate on Linus ??? That sad... , unsubscribe

That is the first and last time I'm watching anything produced by this channel.

Why does this channel with 700k subs think they can call out a channel with 4 million?

"He's probably doing it for views. It does reflect his credibility." Didn't realize you guys had brand grade credibility with such videos as "Blowjob Fan"

Time to neck yourselves lads!

Imagine being so pretentious that you think you're better than a guy who has massive tech companies flying him round the world because you've made a few slightly higher budget YouTube videos (you aren't Christopher Nolan pipe down). Please learn to understand sarcasm like it's not hard to get he's not being serious in an series called 'holy shit'.

shut the fuck up you bearded twat.

On another note, if Linus' video was sarcasm then clearly it was poorly done. I can sense sarcasm in some of the things he says, but I can also sense seriousness in some of the things he says. Considering how several people in this thread, Corridor and a ton of people in the comments of both videos did not take it as sarcasm but rather tries to justifies the things Linus said as if they were genuine, you simply have to conclude that if Linus was just being sarcastic, that it failed. Not to mention that sarcasm is a pretty shitty form of comedy to begin with... Especially when it's really low effort and goes on for 13 minutes.

If you're going to post videos that are purely sarcastic, as well as videos that are completely serious, and your viewers can't differentiate between the two, then you need to reconsider.

By the way, to everyone who says Linus fans will know when he is serious and not serious, and that you can judge that from things like which video series the video belongs to, please remember that the most common justification for Linus' shitty thumbnails and misleading titles is that it attracts new viewers. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You either make your content easily accessible to new viewers and make it easy to understand for them what the video is, or you cater to your existing audience.

You can't in one thread say "old Linus fans won't be mislead because they have prior experience with Linus' work" and then in another say "Linus NEEDS to attract more viewers even if it means alienating his loyal viewers".

11 hours ago, Nardella said:

I was sadv that this was not addressed on WAN Show.

I think that was a solid move on Linus' part. There's no need to drag on this non-issue by talking about it.

LTT made a funny video about RED, Corridor made a video responding to it. We, the fans, will discuss it for a few days but it won't become a bigger deal because we'll forget about it; but if Linus talked about it on the WAN show it'll be a much bigger deal and it really isn't a big enough topic for him to discuss and drag out.

Wow, seems I missed this thread three...or four...or is it five times now? :P

The arguments that arose from it were pretty interesting. I don't know why people who aren't in the industry and will likely never use such a product think they should have an opinion on what the associated costs should be. Let alone why they care. Something that most people seem to miss entirely is that the camera likely didn't end up "costing" him that much money. It's a tax write off. When you're in a business such as this, where you don't have materials costs to leverage against taxation, equipment is the next best thing.

I do, however, find it rather childish when he comments on how much things cost in an exaggerated way. We get it. It's expensive to run a YouTube channel, and you've got lots of money to blow on such things. It's almost distasteful, really, to listen to him go on and on about how much it costs. Which is why I never even bothered watching that video.

"Look! Look at all the money I'm spending! Isn't it insane??"

@DIT Gotta say, really nice to see someone with as much knowledge about the other side, one where people actually use such equipment step in and share their view on the matter. It's a refreshing change, and I agree with most of your points.

On 2017-08-01 at 0:57 PM, Misanthrope said:

I don't think the rant was insincere: From a tech stand point it is fairly accurate: You really don't need to charge 900 bucks or whatever for a cable. He just doesn't makes the point that the top notch sensor on the camera makes it worthwhile to pay so much for the price of admission and obviously defers to his staff for the purchasing decision but not without well, being salty about the bill in the immediate short term: people are capable of stepping outside of a business mind and saying "why the hell am I paying 900 for a fucking cable!" without meaning he'll return it or decide against it in the future if another upgrade is needed.

For professional work, they likely don't care. It's a tax write off. For companies that use RED equipment, it's likely a benefit to have such items have prices that are higher than what you'd expect to pay as a consumer.

On 2017-08-01 at 1:24 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Something must be very wrong with me taking into consideration what a couple of people is saying because I feel YouTube videos on 1080p are of good enough quality already. :o

It's because you (let's be real, we) don't have monitors of a higher resolution ;)

On 2017-08-01 at 1:36 PM, Misanthrope said:

There was one of them featured in the video in fact. But I have little doubt that with that much of a mark up they intend to also profit from secondary sales, heavily. It's not hard to imagine that a good salesman talking to some production department from a professional studio will make a ton of secondary sales. Just because it's common place on the professional level doesn't makes it any less of a rip off: just build in more cost into the core product itself.

The point of the RED camera is that it's modular. So if you don't need something, you don't pay for it. Building the cost into the core product goes completely against what their whole business model is.

On 2017-08-01 at 2:05 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I think we can easily determine why LTT really bought the Red camera and all the hardware that goes into it.

...Because they wanted to and they could afford it.

It's like any PC gamer who jumps every year from the 6700k to the 7700k and so on.  Because they wanted 'the best' and they could afford it.  Because they love tinkering with the top-top end so they wanted the absolute newest shinies.

Exactly. Except we can't write off our overkill gaming computers as business expenses (most of the time) :P

On 2017-08-01 at 7:48 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I'm watch the video right now and its the pinnacle of the shittiest editing I have ever seen. 

There are two stories going on in an 11min video......wtf is this am I watching a video about 3D printing a mask, filming some scenes with a tank, or calling Linus out?

Also some of their points are bull.

Hah, yeah that was rather odd and a little annoying. What points did you find "bull" though?

On 2017-08-02 at 4:16 AM, featherwolf said:

-snip-

PS. they mention how if he spent the money on the products he shouldn't make a video complaining about it... So obviously the best thing to do is to make a video and complain about him making a video complaining about it. Youtube auto-fellatio at it's finest.

I think it makes sense to make a video calling him out on it. It's kind of a ridiculous thing to complain about, and his video wasn't really informative other than pricing...which shouldn't surprise the general audience anyway. I think it's one of his most distasteful videos yet. Buys expensive, professional use camera, then complains about it. Does that sound reasonable to you?

On 2017-08-02 at 4:20 AM, SandalsWarrior said:

The guys from CorridorDigital started good by explaining why some things cost how much they cost but I think that they only wanted to pick on every single thing that Linus has said, I mean 200$ cable??? You can invent as many arguments as you want but are u f*cking deluded? It's a god damn cable, same with the screen.

People that own Ferrari's don't complain about the cost of the replacement parts going in, even though they're really no more expensive to produce than a Ford Focus part. Know why? Because it's an expected cost. When not everyone needs that specific cable, and you order fewer of them, the cost of manufacturing it goes up. Since their cameras are fully modular, they have many parts like this. You have to spread those R&D costs and such over the product line. Not only that, you're looking at top tier professional equipment meant to be purchased by people with very large budgets. They don't care about the cost, and more often than not it can be beneficial. Last, but not least, companies exist to make money. Not to give you items for a little more than they cost to make. That's not a sustainable business model.

On 2017-08-02 at 4:26 AM, DIT said:

Due to the nature of the cable being limited and made of higher quality materials designed it's going to cost more. For example if you want to buy just a LEMO connector by itself you are looking at $60 maybe (this varies on how many pins etc etc) so two per cable that's $120. Then take into account putting the cable together, R&D, other materials such as the wire, shielding and the woven material that goes around the cable. 

If the cable does indeed cost that much to make, asking $200 for it really isn't that bad of a markup at all.

On 2017-08-02 at 9:56 AM, Dredgy said:

I though the RED rant video was one of Linuses best videos ever, mainly because I could relate to it (as someone who though PCs as a hobby were expensive before switching to cameras, including REDs). It was also hilariously funny, was an incredibly smart way to introduce a not-camera-people audience to the sheer mess of expense that video production is, provided a good look at behind at the scenes and showed off some cool technology and raised legitimate issues about the RED ecosystem.

Did you really? What part of it did you find entertaining? I thought it sounded more bitchy than anything. I mean, I get it, it's expensive equipment. But you bought it. You knew the cost, decided it was worth it, and ok'd the purchase. It just seems distasteful to then make a video complaining about it.

On 2017-08-02 at 10:42 AM, LAwLz said:

The problem is that a lot of people watch Linus because they think he is a good source of information. Again, read the comments. A lot of them are just cheering on Linus for complaining about the price and hating on RED.

I would argue that he is misrepresenting facts. He might not say anything that is objectively incorrect, but the overall message can be misleading regardless.

Personally I've found the actual information in the videos has steadily been going downhill ever since they gained popularity. It used to be that I could watch a Linus video and actually learn something, gain quite a bit of knowledge about what he was reviewing. Now, however, it's mostly "entertaining" focused, a few dick jokes, and some flashy inserts.

Kind of sad, really. However iirc he has said himself he's leaning more towards entertainment than being informative.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 8/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

-merged again-

when will it end -_-

hey did you hear? Corridor made a video calling out Linus about the RED camera video!!

and merging causes issues!

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

@dizmo I think you might not fully appreciate exactly what a tax write off  actually is.

They still have to buy the product. And pay for it. They need to have that amount of cash just lying around (Or have credit/take a loan out).

A tax write off doesn't make something magically free.

What it does do, is allow them to get a credit towards their business taxes, up to a certain point. They are an incredibly complex thing, and there are lots of rules and regulations on what they can write off, and up to how much, etc.

So if LMG was going to pay $200,000 in taxes, they might be able to deduct the $50,000 for the RED camera. But if they were only going to pay $20,000 in taxes, that RED camera is not magically fully paid for in tax credits.

Obviously none of us knows what they pay, what they've already deducted, nor the other variables that might determine how much of a benefit a tax write off would even be.

Just wanted to put this out there, because (especially on this forum) I see a lot of people throw around the term "tax write off" as if it's just somehow magic free money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

@dizmo I think you might not fully appreciate exactly what a tax write off  actually is.
-snip-

Just wanted to put this out there, because (especially on this forum) I see a lot of people throw around the term "tax write off" as if it's just somehow magic free money.

Haha, I'm fully aware. I'm also aware that most users on this forum are quite young, so I tried to make what I said as simple as possible. Hence why I said "costing". You can fully write off this item, splitting up it's depreciation over the following years. IIRC electronics like that are depreciated at 20%. You want to reach the magic "0 owing" at the end of the year, so really it would be "free" if without it, they had to pay any more to the government than they would without it. The amount they would have paid to the government being valued towards the camera cost.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They still have to buy the product. And pay for it. They need to have that amount of cash just lying around (Or have credit/take a loan out).

A tax write off doesn't make something magically free.

What it does do, is allow them to get a credit towards their business taxes, up to a certain point. They are an incredibly complex thing, and there are lots of rules and regulations on what they can write off, and up to how much, etc.

So if LMG was going to pay $200,000 in taxes, they might be able to deduct the $50,000 for the RED camera. But if they were only going to pay $20,000 in taxes, that RED camera is not magically fully paid for in tax credits.

Obviously none of us knows what they pay, what they've already deducted, nor the other variables that might determine how much of a benefit a tax write off would even be.

On that note, I wonder how much LMG's work is eligible for film and television production tax credits in in BC.  Like, not that I mean to pry on their exact finances, but rather I'm curious if a company that primary faces YouTube as it's platform is eligible or not.

For comparison, my understanding is that in the end, about 30% of my salary is paid for by The Province of Ontario once all tax credits for the company are factored in. 

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

On that note, I wonder how much LMG's work is eligible for film and television production tax credits in in BC.  Like, not that I mean to pry on their exact finances, but rather I'm curious if a company that primary faces YouTube as it's platform is eligible or not.

For comparison, my understanding is that in the end, about 30% of my salary is paid for by The Province of Ontario once all tax credits for the company are factored in. 

Good question.

Considering it's Canadian Made content that directly impacts the economy in a positive way (by the way of wages for what... 12+ people?) it should qualify, but a lot of governments and bodies don't recognize YouTube as "film and television" still.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Good question.

Considering it's Canadian Made content that directly impacts the economy in a positive way (by the way of wages for what... 12+ people?) it should qualify, but a lot of governments and bodies don't recognize YouTube as "film and television" still.

Yeah, there can be a lot of complexities to film and television tax credits and I'm not going to pretend to understand them all.

What I do understand is that California slashed it's credits and much of the company, and still an increasing portion of it, now operates in Ontario while the California jobs even continue to evaporate.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if all the 'artist' jobs are Canadian and our California operations are purely administrative/executive for the purposes of having an office close to Hollywood for obviously reasons, within two years.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:54 AM, suits said:

This video: wah wah wah wah wah I'm not as successful as LTT wah wah wah wah. Shut up.

They have one channel with 4.4 million subs and a second with 800K.... They're probably fine.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

• 2 weeks later...