AMD Ryzen Threadripper and Ryzen 3 Product Updates (Threadripper price reveal)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

People who need good multicore performance and don't want to overclock their CPUs to get it :D

And people who want to run Hyper-V and need more cores, while single core performance isn't that important ... yeah I get it.

More enterprise than consumer grade. At least I see it that way.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

53 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's a "behavioral bias", though: the cost of parts you are going to buy anyway is irrelevant when comparing to alternative parts. Otherwise, you would have to factor in the price of the building where the computer will be (you won't leave it in the street, would you?) and eventually come to the conclusion that the difference between having the most expensive PC ever and no PC at all is ~0% :P 

When comparing two platforms (assuming both are DDR4), the relevant cost comparison is CPU+motherboard vs CPU +motherboard. Adding PSU, case, or any other platform-irrelevant component to make percentage differences look smaller is a way to fool yourself called "sunk cost fallacy".

I mean that's not necessarily true. If you are going to invest a certain amount of money into a computer you have to take into account the entire cost of the computer to calculate price to performance. I mean any company buying a whole new system would take this approach. 

26 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Then again ... who will even buy that 16c/32t CPU from AMD lol

Ideally, it looks like a good fit for a prosumer home workstation. Like Ryzen 5/7, it's a lot of pretty solid cores for a comparably good price.

But the cynic in me wants to say it will probably get thrown into a lot of gaming rigs because everyone is losing their minds over core counts and "future-proofing" again.

20 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

3000 cinebench score on 16c/32t

Well i9 7900X can get almost 2800 in cinebench

Both of those CPUs are priced at 999$.

AMD is indeed competing, just not sure if that will be good enough.

12c/24t AMD can score 2400 cinebench at 800$.

i7 7820X with 8c/16t can get 2200 score in cinebench for 600$

I somehow don't see those results as very good for AMD.

you are comparing stock vs overclocked results, also , especially in the case of the i9, you are comparing a stock processor against an overclocked as shit i9 at 4.9 ghz with a 1800mm worth of rads of cooling( taking done12many2 as of example), if you want to compare those 2 results for the same cpu price, you should also say that for the amd one to get to 3000cb it need a 100$ aio loop, the 7900x a 1000$+ worth of custom loop, is somewhat an apple to oranges comparison, even though that intel has a way higher overclock ceiling than amd

2 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Considering that threadripper is a WS/server chip, someone should probably add these chips to the table... The cheapest 14 core is about 2.2K$ though

Is it possible to add tables to a post? (please forum, give us LaTeX support)

you can do custom HTML in DOM Explorer (:

But there's still non-X chips coming right? I want the 16 core, I want it now, but I want it even cheaper, lol

also a weird name for the 16 core... at this point even Intel has a better naming scheme for those things.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

you should also say that for the amd one to get to 3000cb it need a 100$ aio loop, the 7900x a 1000$+ worth of custom loop, is somewhat an apple to oranges comparison

Stop, seriously, stop. AMD hasn't even released Threadripper. We don't even know if Threadripper is soldered or not. We don't know how hot Threadripper runs, so  we don't know if a $100 AiO is enough. And I think that you're forgetting that pretty much no AiO works with Threadripper, because its IHS is HUGE. AMD was using a custom EK AiO for the 1950X (so pretty much a custom loop). You are comparing Apples to Oranges, because you are comparing a product that has just been announced to a product that is already available for purchase.

And you don't need a $1000 custom loop, a $300 custom loop with a 360mm radiator is more than enough for a 4.7-4.8GHz overclock

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Stop, seriously, stop. AMD hasn't even released Threadripper. We don't even know if Threadripper is soldered or not. We don't know how hot Threadripper runs, so  we don't know if a $100 AiO is enough. And I think that you're forgetting that pretty much no AiO works with Threadripper, because its IHS is HUGE. AMD was using a custom EK AiO for the 1950X (so pretty much a custom loop). You are comparing Apples to Oranges, because you are comparing a product that has just been announced to a product that is already available for purchase.

And you don't need a $1000 custom loop, a $300 custom loop with a 360mm radiator is more than enough for a 4.7GHz overclock

yep, but at 4.7 you won't get 2800cb, as the person i quoted said.

On the part that threadripper won't be soldered....both ryzen and epic are soldered, why threadripper (that has the same dimension as epic) shouldn't? Is safe to assume that it will be soldered

Just now, Flavio hc 16 said:

yep, but at 4.7 you won't get 2800cb, as the person i quoted said.

It will get you 2650cb and as @done12many2 pointed out, the bottleneck is the TIM between the IHS and the die, so a $1000 custom loop wouldn't help much. If your CPU is good enough, you can hit 4.8-4.9GHz with a $300 custom loop

2 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

On the part that threadripper won't be soldered....both ryzen and epic are soldered, why threadripper (that has the same dimension as epic) shouldn't? Is safe to assume that it will be soldered

Yep, but we don't know if it's soldered and we also don't know how much an AiO for Threadripper will cost. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep, but we don't know if it's soldered and we also don't know how much an AiO for Threadripper will cost. 

If Ryzen is and Epic is and since they are all following the same manufacturing process it's very safe to assume that TR is soldered, safe enough to bet every dollar in my bank account.

*withdraws all money from bank account just in case*

It will get you 2650cb and as @done12many2 pointed out, the bottleneck is the TIM between the IHS and the die, so a $1000 custom loop wouldn't help much. If your CPU is good enough, you can hit 4.8-4.9GHz with a $300 custom loop

then you ( the one who did the claim, not you) don't compare it to the 16 core threadripper.

this is something that truly i don't get from you: even if it is an assumption, we know it will be soldered. This conversation seems a bit like all the bashing that everyone did when linus simulated the ryzen 5 performance "if you don't have it you cannot compare it", when in the end, he landed all the shots with an error of 1-2%. Truly i don't get it.

On the part about the cost of an aio for that massive socket you might be right, but then even you are making an assumpion

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If Ryzen is and Epic is and since they are all following the same manufacturing process it's very safe to assume that TR is soldered, safe enough to bet every dollar in my bank account.

Is EPYC soldered tho? I mean, is it confirmed or is it a rumor? 

2 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

On the part about the cost of an aio for that massive socket you might be right, but then even you are making an assumpion

Threadripper will require a "custom" AiO, so I don't think that TR AiOs will be cheap.

Is EPYC soldered tho? I mean, is it confirmed or is it a rumor? 

Um, err I think so? Anyway:

The specs we know

• The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X features 16 cores with simultaneous multi-threading (SMT) for 32 threads of compute power. The base clock speed of the chip is 3.4GHz, with a 4GHz boost speed.
  • The Ryzen Threadripper 1920X will feature 12 cores with SMT for 24 threads of compute power. The base clock speed of the chip is 3.5GHz with a 4GHz boost speed.
  • Both chips pack a whopping 64 PCI-E lanes
  • Memory: Quad-channel DDR4
  • Platform: X399 with a new TR4 socket that is incompatible with existing Ryzen chips.
  • Both chips are unlocked for overclocking adventures.
  • Can’t be “delided” easily as it uses a solder thermal interface material.
  • Release date: Threadripper PCs will be available for sale on July 27. CPUs and the motherboards to put them in will hit “early August.”
  • Alienware has the worldwide exclusive on Threadripper systems among large PC manufacturers, but many U.S. boutique builders will offer it as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3197184/components-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-prices-specs-release-date-and-more.html

Rumor or confirmation? Guess we have to trust PC World has confirmed that with AMD and not rehashing a rumor.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

You accuse others of making assumptions and here you make your own. Hypocrite

We know that AMD used a custom AiO from EK, but we don't know how much that AiO will cost:

amdsetups.png

Just now, leadeater said:

An R7 240?!? Ewww that's just criminal.

They probably needed something that can simply output a display signal, because TR and X299 don't have iGPUs

They probably needed something that can simply output a display signal, because TR and X299 don't have iGPUs

They should have used RX580's.... oh wait LOL ;)

I mean it's a bit like a Ferrari with 13" space saver spare wheels.

40 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

you are comparing stock vs overclocked results, also , especially in the case of the i9, you are comparing a stock processor against an overclocked as shit i9 at 4.9 ghz with a 1800mm worth of rads of cooling( taking done12many2 as of example), if you want to compare those 2 results for the same cpu price, you should also say that for the amd one to get to 3000cb it need a 100$ aio loop, the 7900x a 1000$+ worth of custom loop, is somewhat an apple to oranges comparison, even though that intel has a way higher overclock ceiling than amd

Well that's true ... but Threadripper won't overclock to anything more than 4GHz on all cores. If it will even get to that.

You can also cool i9 7900X at 4,9GHz with 360mm AIO. The bottleneck is because CPU isn't soldered. Once you delid it, you can OC it even higher, and AIO have easier job to do.

28 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It will be soldered. If they don't do that, you won't be even able to run it at stock frequency.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Cinebench really favours Ryzen for some reason, I get much higher scores with my R7 1700 than my 6900K, but everything else my 6900K walks all over it.

Assuming they're of comparable clock, basically Ryzen can often have higher IPC than Intel if you use SMT. In short, Intel does have higher single thread IPC as they're better able to extract that performance from their cores. Ryzen has more general potential, but is less able to realise it from a single thread. With 2 threads per core running, you extract more of that potential and it can overtake Intel. This isn't universal by any means, but I have seen it on some distributed computing tasks. How big a difference was there on CB and at what clocks? Looking up my past testing I didn't see Ryzen take the IPC lead over Skylake... but you have Broadwell-E, which I don't have data on. http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=7323 (I might have posted it somewhere on this forum but easier to find at link above).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, huilun02 said:

Yeah...

If you saw on the first page that the stock boost is already 4Ghz, before the unknown XFR kicks in.

Yeah on maybe 1 or 2 cores.

R7 1800X also boosts to 4GHz, but did you ever see R7 1800X boost all 8 cores to 4GHz? Not on it's own.

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Where are ryzen 3 MSRP and r3 1100?

On a piece of paper, locked in a drawer, in Dr. Lisa Su's office

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

3000 cinebench score on 16c/32t

Well i9 7900X can get almost 2800 in cinebench

Both of those CPUs are priced at 999$.

AMD is indeed competing, just not sure if that will be good enough.

12c/24t AMD can score 2400 cinebench at 800$.

i7 7820X with 8c/16t can get 2200 score in cinebench for 600$

I somehow don't see those results as very good for AMD.

you know the 2800 i9 is a heavy OC and the 3000 AMD is no OC right?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

The 1950X is running at 3.5GHz while the i9 is at 4.9-5GHz ;)

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You mean like how the i9's boost all cores to the advertised boost speed without overclocking?

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

My point is that you can OC i9 ... and numbers I gave for comparison were from 4,9GHz ... that's not the limit with i9 CPUs.

Meanwhile Threadripper won't go over 4GHz on all cores .... it just won't. It's the same as R7 CPU, but they just glued 2 of them together. How can that yield higher OC?

I'm not Intel fan ... hell I'm using Ryzen and I'm happy with it (except for MMORPG games, where it lacks IPC ... but then one might argue that MMORPG lacks optimisation, which is true). But I just don't think that threadriripper will be as successful as Ryzen.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope you can OC threadripper to 4,7GHz on all cores ...

WD My Cloud 4TB