AMD Ryzen Threadripper and Ryzen 3 Product Updates (Threadripper price reveal)

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

With only 2 SKUs on launch, I think it's pretty sure we'll get some lower-clocked versions later. Much like holding off on the Ryzen 3s, AMD doesn't want to cannibalize itself too much, especially as we've seen with the Ryzen 7 line.

Still, 12c for $799 and 16c for $999 is pretty dang nice, all things considered. 

ya that's why I was thinking the 8c would be $400-$600, and the lower clocked 12c and 16c can be $100 less. giving us 6 skus would be a good target IMO.

I defiantly see them wanting to spur sales on the 2 higher end chips first and have the other ones be the on the shelves a bit later or not much press on it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

21 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

ya that's why I was thinking the 8c would be $400-$600, and the lower clocked 12c and 16c can be $100 less. giving us 6 skus would be a good target IMO.

I defiantly see them wanting to spur sales on the 2 higher end chips first and have the other ones be the on the shelves a bit later or not much press on it.

Given the way everyone just assumes you're supposed to OC the X299 on a custom loop, I think it was the correct calculation from AMD. TR won't be a huge seller compared to the Ryzen line, so no reason to cannibalize their own sales. Though I'm really curious if TR will actually consistently have Memory running higher, given they have two IMCs on package.  Or if it's harder to manage because there is two rather than one now.

Lots of little things that we just haven't seen yet that will need testing.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea Ryzen 3 seems like a product range that exists simply to exist and doesn't actually have a design purpose behind it. I would have done Ryzen 3 as a low power CPU 4c/8t but I don't know how much of a demand a CPU like that would be, maybe laptops and embedded system?

Ryzen 3 1300X 4c/8t 2.2/3.5 16MB 45W

Ryzen 3 1300   4c/8t 2.1/2.8 16MB 20W-35W

The above would of made more sense to me and if required just sell Ryzen 5 for less if required.

Yeah.  Maybe they'll release a sub-category  of low power ones like Intel did.  I just wish they wouldn't pull this shit.

Of course, most people don't even know that i5's all start with Hyper-threading.  They think it's just that only i7's can handle it.  So I'm sure most people won't realize that's what AMD is doing.

Edit: I hadn't even thought about this, but if they don't have an iGPU in Ryzen 3 I'll be pissed.  Most of the people who get Ryzen 5 or 7 are going to have a dedicated GPU (even if it's just a 750 Ti or something), but a low end CPU really should have integrated graphics.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

43 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah.  Maybe they'll release a sub-category  of low power ones like Intel did.  I just wish they wouldn't pull this shit.

Of course, most people don't even know that i5's all start with Hyper-threading.  They think it's just that only i7's can handle it.  So I'm sure most people won't realize that's what AMD is doing.

Edit: I hadn't even thought about this, but if they don't have an iGPU in Ryzen 3 I'll be pissed.  Most of the people who get Ryzen 5 or 7 are going to have a dedicated GPU (even if it's just a 750 Ti or something), but a low end CPU really should have integrated graphics.

Probably why the Ryzen 3s will be above 100 USD. Raven Ridge is the APU replacement line.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Probably why the Ryzen 3s will be above 100 USD. Raven Ridge is the APU replacement line.

There's still that 1% chance that r3's have igpu's since they're launching with rx vega and that could be the reason why they took so long to release them.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

8 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

There's still that 1% chance that r3's have igpu's since they're launching with rx vega and that could be the reason why they took so long to release them.

Raven Ridge is a different die.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Meh, Geekbench is shit. Proof:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/3396561

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Meh, Geekbench is shit. Proof:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/3396561

Ya never said it was accurate, just that it exists.

one thing i noticed is in these test is shows 32MB of L3 but the PCPer chart says 40MB L3

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Raven Ridge is a different die.

I know it's a different die but AMD is known for doing weird stuff also (triple core processors) so it's still a possibility even if an extremely small one

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I know it's a different die but AMD is known for doing weird stuff also (triple core processors) so it's still a possibility even if an extremely small one

I expect zen 2 to be 6c CCX vs the current 4c, due to the fact the next gen server chip is said to have 48c and I expect it to be the same 4 die layout.

which means we could expect a 12c mainstream CPU, 24c HEDT when the zen 2 line hits.

I am excited to get the top APU when it comes out for my Oil PC rebuild.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I expect zen 2 to be 6c CCX vs the current 4c, due to the fact the next gen server chip is said to have 48c and I expect it to be the same 4 die layout.

which means we could expect a 12c mainstream CPU, 24c HEDT when the zen 2 line hits.

I am excited to get the top APU when it comes out for my Oil PC rebuild.

About 4 years to wait for them to release gen2 by then I should be ready to replace this current pc I'm using maybe my gf's too since she'll be getting this i5

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

About 4 years to wait for them to release gen2 by then I should be ready to replace this current pc I'm using maybe my gf's too since she'll be getting this i5

zen 3 is slated for 2020, zen 2 is slated for around 2018-2019. they plan on releasing zen+ (14nm+) before the 7nm zen2

Just now, The Benjamins said:

zen 3 is slated for 2020, zen 2 is slated for around 2018-2019. they plan on releasing zen+ (14nm+) before the 7nm zen2

Thought zen2 was going to be on a new socket.. welp guess I'll be upgrading with zen3 lol. 14nm+ is the 10nm process they've been working on or they're just refining 14nm some more ?

Just now, XenosTech said:

Thought zen2 was going to be on a new socket.. welp guess I'll be upgrading with zen3 lol. 14nm+ is the 10nm process they've been working on or they're just refining 14nm some more ?

I think it is going to be a refinement, so expect better clocks. I think zen3 is 7nm+ but not sure that is very far out. but it seems that want to support AM4 for 4 years. we may see a AM4+ when zen2 drops.

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

No one has any details. It's listed on their roadmap, but GloFo hasn't released any information. So your guess is as good as mine. I've seen one thing saying to expect 4.4 Ghz chips, but that information is highly suspect.  We won't hear anything until probably December, at the earliest.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I think it is going to be a refinement, so expect better clocks. I think zen3 is 7nm+ but not sure that is very far out. but it seems that want to support AM4 for 4 years. we may see a AM4+ when zen2 drops.

I think it's 3 years, 2017 to 2020. I expect Zen 3 to be on a new socket because of PCIe 4.0.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I think it's 3 years, 2017 to 2020. I expect Zen 3 to be on a new socket because of PCIe 4.0.

For pci-e 4 you will need a new chipset but not a socket as pci-e 4 will probably not increase pin count only clocks of those pins

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

For pci-e 4 you will need a new chipset but not a socket as pci-e 4 will probably not increase pin count only clocks of those pins

Its funny Intel is finally bringing up Amd again in their slides why cause they have too. However anyone looks at it Intel has competition again something they haven't had in probably 10 years. 

That is why we have CPU's coming from Intel at the last min all the big tech tubers are even calling out Intel. Least everyone wins in these cases even Intel fans who can now get a 10 core processor for less then 1800$(LOL). 

Anything over 1000$ for a consumer processor is nuts and should be server class only. Gonna love to see Intel users overclock their I9's with X299 VRM. Then again Ryzen boards could face similar issues. People comparing a OC CPU to a non overclock CPU and STILL getting lower scores is funny since they cost the same like how on earth is that saying anything? That's like buying a sports car for the same amount of money as my Tesla(i have no tesla in real life :( ) and tweaking it out and still losing to my Tesla, and bragging about it. 

Also Ryzen 3 will not have a IGPU i can't believe i even read that comment APU's are the ONLY product having igpu from Amd. 

120$ Ryzen 3 OC that to 3.9-4.0 and that is a nice budget gaming PC 

12 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

So guess i probably cant get a 512gb ram, 32core epyc approved for a NAS =(

Do it using 8GB or 16GB ram sticks, much cheaper. I've had 128GB in mine for a few years now , still got free ram slots :)

That's amazing. These will be very appealing indeed. Price is really great and number of PCIe lanes is amazing. 
The baseplate for new Noctual coolers for Threadripper is simply awesome :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 7/13/2017 at 8:41 AM, ChalkChalkson said:

Considering that threadripper is a WS/server chip, someone should probably add these chips to the table... The cheapest 14 core is about 2.2K$ though

Is it possible to add tables to a post? (please forum, give us LaTeX support)

Please no, this isn't the Matrix. :P

On 7/13/2017 at 0:54 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't think the 16 core is going to sell very much.  Look at the most popular Ryzen chip: a 6 core.  Ultimately an AMD buyer seems to be a very cheap/budget buyer who never buys the top end of anything, even top end of budget.

Except that Ryzen is a mainstream processor, while TR is a HEDT processor.  People buying HEDT typically don't skimp out on the budget (it happens, but not as much).

On 7/13/2017 at 3:20 PM, RagnarokDel said:

threadripper is on an updated revision. Maybe they're able to push higher now. Would be interesting to see where can a Ryzen5/7 on that revision push the clockspeeds.

Unfortunately, it's still the same process from GloFo, though.  As that's their biggest limitation on clock speeds, I don't see TR getting much above 4 GHz either, if it does at all (save for LN2, and even that's speculative).

heres a funny challenge, build a fanless 64 core threadripper (2x32 cores).

Enthusiast threadripper goes up to 16 cores, server one can have up to 32 cores per CPU with dual socket.