EK M.2 Heat Sinks and EK FG accessories.

The Benjamins
3 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

this kinda drops the appeal of m.2 drives, as they are clean and require no cables, whats to then differentiate the m.2 ssd to a 2.5 ssd?

There's still the fact that NVMe drives are considerably faster than SATA drives, and while most people wouldn't need riser cables, there's some scenarios where it would be beneficial.

22 hours ago, Jito463 said:

On the topic of M.2 drives, I'm a little bit surprised that with the advent of multiple M.2 slots, more manufacturers haven't added a slot on the bottom of the MoBo.  I know they do it on MiniTX boards, but it seems like it would make sense to have at least one underneath on a standard/Micro ATX board (probably even more so on the micro).  If that's your boot drive, it's probably unlikely that you'll be swapping it out often.

Actually, one thing I'd like to see (and am surprised I haven't) is M.2 extenders - similar to PCIe extenders - so you can run a cable and connect the drives away from the MoBo.  An example use case, would be where the video card may be overheating the M.2 drive.

1)and then they might as well be cooled by the metal motherboard plate/case plate, cool idea

2)the main appeal for M.2 and NVMe drives is that they are clean to use and require no additional wires (thus no cable management XP)

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

As speeds climb up active cooling will probably be required at one point, companies will have to get smart about it to come up with cooling solutions.

A block which allows liquid to pass over a cold-plate on the drive or super small fans like on old XlR8 cards

On July 5, 2017 at 7:20 AM, TheRandomness said:

Wow. Honestly, I'd buy one of those heatsinks for something like a line of VRAM on a card, they just look really nice.

You mean put it on a graphics card?  How would you do that?

On July 5, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Lurick said:

That's a pretty good price and they look very nice.

Now to convince myself I don't need them xD

But does it work?    Didn't ASUS make some sort of heatsink for M.2 drives that actually made the heat issue worse?

On July 5, 2017 at 7:31 AM, raphidy said:

EK doing air cooled stuff? They look gorgeous though. I thought they would find a fancy watercooled solution for M.2.

I'd love to see a tiny little AIO M.2 water cooler.  Like a baby AIO.  

On July 5, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Vode said:

Sweet. Already ordered one. :)

Do Amazon or Newegg have it in the US?    Or does EK not sell through them?

On July 5, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Tibbles said:

That M.2 heatsink seems pretty neat, definitely something I'd consider if I were using M.2.

I wonder if it would risk conflicting with the anu CPU coolers of GPUs?

About the top third of both my motherboard's M.2 slots are either behind my graphics card or CPU cooler.  

21 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Those looks awesome, and they're pretty cheap too!

Cheap is good.  Cheap and good quality would be even better.

Just now, Tibbles said:

I have an M.2 slot on the back of my motherboard because ITX ;) 

You might have to worry about having enough space behind your motherboard.  ?

With ITX it might not have enough space to account not just having a cookie thin M.2 drive on the back of the motherboard.  

That's a creative place for a manufacturer to put headers.  Efficient use of smaller ITX space.  

2 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

I don't really have to worry about space that much, but I agree that the back of the motherboard should be utilized more.

There needs to be enough room behind the motherboard to put stuff though which especially in a smaller ITX case might be an issue to deal with.  

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Thermal adhesive tape.

That answers part of the question but the other part would be would you have to take off the cooler in order to put this on a card?

I was thinking that since cards have coolers on them it would get in the way of putting this on.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do Amazon or Newegg have it in the US?    Or does EK not sell through them?

Currently no. Only directly from EK.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Inb4 EK NVMe water blocks to add to your loop.

On topic though, I agree they look sexy AF and now I kinda want one, I mean my SM951 is one of the drives known for overheating so I guess I should for the sake of my hardware.

kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD, M-Key with water block

Aquacomputer already makes an adapter to WC M.2.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, Tibbles said:

I just have to remove the psu, the bottom case panel and then flip it to access the back of the mobo. :P

Sorry.  I don't mean whether or not you can access behind the motherboard but whether or not there is physically enough space back there for the added height from putting this heatsink on an M.2 drive if you'd ever get one.  

1 hour ago, Vode said:

Currently no. Only directly from EK.

Website link?

Or is it just EK.com?

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Dont be like one of those Thermaltake haters. A copied product is not necessarily bad. 

Don't get it wrong now, the deference is, thermaltake is flat out not original or enovative. EK, other than these m.2 heatsinks have always been enovative and original, hence the reason why I have a problem with its design in the first place.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

3 hours ago, Scitesh said:

1)and then they might as well be cooled by the metal motherboard plate/case plate, cool idea

2)the main appeal for M.2 and NVMe drives is that they are clean to use and require no additional wires (thus no cable management XP)

A block which allows liquid to pass over a cold-plate on the drive or super small fans like on old XlR8 cards

Water requires a custom loop (which is expensive and not feasible in some workstation use cases) and AIOs would  be kind of impractical requiring motherboard redesign go better support the AIO.

Tiny fans would be fairly limited in their capacity making almost no difference from case airflow. 

I honestly think that either companies will move to PCI-E cards instead unless a new form factor is created but then again I don't think it would be very practical either.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry.  I don't mean whether or not you can access behind the motherboard but whether or not there is physically enough space back there for the added height from putting this heatsink on an M.2 drive if you'd ever get one.  

Website link?

Or is it just EK.com?

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/ssd-blocks/m2-heatsinks

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

As long as you're not using an extremely compact SFF case then you should be good.

That was my concern was that you might be using case like that.

I believe some people like @M.Yurizaki use very compact SFF cases that might not have any extra room for things like M.2 heatsinks.  

This is cool actually. Now I can get something that isn't a 960 and cover the ugliness haha

On 7/5/2017 at 8:31 AM, raphidy said:

EK doing air cooled stuff? They look gorgeous though. I thought they would find a fancy watercooled solution for M.2.

Well unless M.2 drives can "overclock" it would be pointless water cool them lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

My 950 Pro with rasp heatsinks on is still at a toasty ~45°C at idle during summer, I might get one when they're available

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My M.2 SSD sits behind the motherboard, where it sits uncomfortably hot.

If the SSD is in front, where the rest of the things get installed, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My wondering was about if there'd be room behind the motherboard in a extremely compact case like yours.

If there'd be room maybe this could help you?

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

This is cool actually. Now I can get something that isn't a 960 and cover the ugliness haha

Or get a 960 and get a cool looking M.2 and more reliable than other brands.

My 960 Pro seems to be working fine but I wonder if this would help it run colder.  ?

Though yes this could cover up some of the less nice looking M.2 drives for those willing to sacrifice super high quality for cheaper options.  

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I believe some other brand of it was tested and found to be not only not effective at all but counterproductive.

As speeds climb up active cooling will probably be required at one point, companies will have to get smart about it to come up with cooling solutions.

I thought I remembered seeing someone say something about M.2 SSD's actually needing some heat to function well. Or maybe just SSD's in general. Any idea what causes this? Is it just the issue with contraction possibly breaking things (if we're talking about really low temps)?

Could be a good tech quickie video @LinusTech

Or you could do a full length video and dump liquid nitrogen on a bunch of different kinds of SSD's and see what happens lol

(which seems like something you would do)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Well unless M.2 drives can "overclock" it would be pointless water cool them lol.

Just like ram watercooling is pointless, but people like me still add the water blocks to them for looks and easier tyins to the rest of the loop. If EK makes a waterblock for m.2, believe me I'll be one of the first to get it, just because it's another item to add to the loop.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

38 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I thought I remembered seeing someone say something about M.2 SSD's actually needing some heat to function well. Or maybe just SSD's in general. Any idea what causes this? Is it just the issue with contraction possibly breaking things (if we're talking about really low temps)?

Could be a good tech quickie video @LinusTech

Or you could do a full length video and dump liquid nitrogen on a bunch of different kinds of SSD's and see what happens lol

(which seems like something you would do)

Pretty much every pc hardware runs better if closer to ambient temperature, since it reduces leakage and wear.

Especially NAND, which is pretty sensitive to temperature

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

26 minutes ago, Agost said:

Pretty much every pc hardware runs better if closer to ambient temperature, since it reduces leakage and wear.

Especially NAND, which is pretty sensitive to temperature

There is a limit to that. Thermal contraction has to be accounted for or things can actually break or separate. That's all I have been able to find on the subject.

There was some mention by someone on another forum that perhaps it could have something to do with the free movement of electrons requiring heat (which is a measure of energy present in a system, not temperature) or some such.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, ericlee30 said:

Just like ram watercooling is pointless, but people like me still add the water blocks to them for looks and easier tyins to the rest of the loop. If EK makes a waterblock for m.2, believe me I'll be one of the first to get it, just because it's another item to add to the loop.

Very very high RAM can actually use the temperature headroom

59 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

There is a limit to that. Thermal contraction has to be accounted for or things can actually break or separate. That's all I have been able to find on the subject.

There was some mention by someone on another forum that perhaps it could have something to do with the free movement of electrons requiring heat (which is a measure of energy present in a system, not temperature) or some such.

Sure that's an issue when you want to run liquid helium or ln2 but watercooling won't get to that.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

On 7/5/2017 at 8:47 AM, The Benjamins said:

And this can also be seen as a aesthetic reason behind it too.

I almost want to buy one just so my SSD can join the rest of my system in being monochromatic.  The red on my Plextor SSD doesn't match anything else in the system.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.