Steam OS local game streaming flawed

silencerbob

So Steam have posted recently an FAQ regarding their upcoming local game streaming software.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1496614934744208201

Q: Can someone use my computer while I’m streaming a game from it?
A: No, your computer is dedicated to running the game and input is coming from both the remote client and the local system. It would be very confusing if someone were trying to use the computer at the same time.

Here we discover the same limitations that exists with the NVidia Shield.

The biggest off all flaws is the fact you cannot use your main PC for any other task whilst streaming a game from the main PC to a Steam OS PC.  In my opinion its a BIG flaw.  A major one.  People dreamed of making their won "ghetto GRIDS" by splitting cores, splitting GPU's, etc, to achieve multiple games running from 1 main rig to multiple PCs at the same time.  Or at least use their PC whilst streaming a game out to a single other Steam OS PC.  This dream is now dead.  Its official.

I wonder if it makes a positive impact on NVidia Shield sales... or if it makes the Shield irrelevant now.

What do people think now about Steam OS?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Ehh the Steam OS to me is like the 10th hat. they've gone too far. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

This might be as of now, however remember that this is still in development. Steam OS might later change this to allow splitting of cores in the system.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Did anyone actually think it would work differently?

I don't see this as a groundbreaking flaw myself. I would prefer it if it worked like the OP hoped it would, but that sounded unrealistic considering why you might have to stream games to Steam OS

Who thought you could do this in the first place?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

So Steam have posted recently an FAQ regarding their upcoming local game streaming software.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1496614934744208201

The biggest off all flaws is the fact you cannot use your main PC for any other task whilst streaming a game from the main PC to a Steam OS PC.  In my opinion its a BIG flaw.  A major one.  People dreamed of making their won "ghetto GRIDS" by splitting cores, splitting GPU's, etc, to achieve multiple games running from 1 main rig to multiple PCs at the same time.  Or at least use their PC whilst streaming a game out to a single other Steam OS PC.  This dream is now dead.  Its official.

I wonder if it makes a positive impact on NVidia Shield sales... or if it makes the Shield irrelevant now.

Come on man, be realistic. You're running a computer game on your computer, which is then being transcoded and submitted over your local network to another device. Your computer is just that, Steam OS can't magically turn it into something like NVidia's GRID.

1. That's more demanding than just running a game by itself. The GPU has to transcode the video and audio into a format compatible with the target device, which then needs to be sent to the networking card or chip or whatever then submitted across the local network to the target device
  2. If you're gaming on a portable device or Steam machine you are, assumedly, away from your computer - why would you need to make use of it anyway?

Just think of it as turning your computer temporarily into a server. Just leave it there to do what it needs to do.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

This isn't a big deal at all. Just because that functionality isn't present now doesn't mean it never will be. Besides, we don't really even have the network capability to run multiple game steams on one connection yet anyways.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Isn't this how we thought it was going to work?

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

The thing is ....  NVidia have shadowplay now.  You simply hit a switch and it records gameplay..  You can even stream a fully fledged PC game at 1080p to an NVidia Shield and play a game through it to your TV in another room.

Now think how basic web browsing and listening to music / youtube videos is?  We cant do this? WHY NOT!  I simply want to be able to surf the web on my main rig whilst some1 else is enjoying a beautiful graphics stream through to another PC in my house over WIFI or Ethernet.....HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

It must be pretty hard to pull off. I'm sure they would implement it if it was an easy thing to do.

The thing is ....  NVidia have shadowplay now.  You simply hit a switch and it records gameplay..  You can even stream a fully fledged PC game at 1080p to an NVidia Shield and play a game through it to your TV in another room.

Now think how basic web browsing and listening to music / youtube videos is?  We cant do this? WHY NOT!  I simply want to be able to surf the web on my main rig whilst some1 else is enjoying a beautiful graphics stream through to another PC in my house over WIFI or Ethernet.....HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

Use your Handy for listening Music or maybe you have a Laptop or another pc?

Kind of what I expected. I think we need to see this working well first before getting on about more advanced features.

The thing is .... NVidia have shadowplay now. You simply hit a switch and it records gameplay.. You can even stream a fully fledged PC game at 1080p to an NVidia Shield and play a game through it to your TV in another room.

Now think how basic web browsing and listening to music / youtube videos is? We cant do this? WHY NOT! I simply want to be able to surf the web on my main rig whilst some1 else is enjoying a beautiful graphics stream through to another PC in my house over WIFI or Ethernet.....HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

Learning to walk before they run.

my phone and tablet can achieve simple web browsing and watching youtube videos.  I simply cant understand why this functionally isn't possible in this situation...  it seems to be a core hardware restriction if Steam OS software cant figure out a solution.

Cookie Cutter Build log

how is this a surpirse

ur playing a game remotely

cant see how this is a flaw

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Windows has always been built to only have one desktop, one mouse and one keyboard. It would be a complete waste of time to make this possible since valve is trying to get us away from windows.

Yeah this kind of system is a dealbreaker.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Ehh the Steam OS to me is like the 10th hat. they've gone too far. 

hatts_copy_by_darklitria-d6fqv0x.png

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

im pretty sure it would be possible with something like softxpand.

Better yet, integrate something like this into SteamOS: http://automseat.sourceforge.net

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

it s been know from the start that Nvidia GAVE the streaming tech to Steam,

so it is exactly the same and it was expected that only 1 game could be ran from each session,

but if you run windows in a Vm you could possibly stream from that

Btw i don t see how enabling your comp to be used is usefull, i mean tablets are 100$ these days,

so if some one wants to do some simple browsing they could use that

and gaming on splitted machine with VM can t be a good experience compared to dedicated hardware.

And the steam streaming will only work on steam games, so for games not on steam you ll need a shield.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

With Nvidia working on it's new "GPU" streaming technology we might see it possible with the next gen gpus and cpus. (Broadwell & Maxwell) That come out next year, they might be working on something with valve to support this.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------