Steam OS local game streaming flawed

silencerbob

There is sort of a workaround through virtualization. Recently it became possible to reliably pass consumer graphics cards to VM guests with full hardware access. You can run a Windows guest with a graphics card solely for streaming. It doesn't need any monitors hooked up and can be managed through RDP. The host machine could still be doing other things using on board graphics or another dedicated graphics card if you have multiple. You could also have a steam OS guest on the same machine that would receive the stream for "playing locally". Latency should be low going from one VM to another on the same hardware.

The machine can have multiple streaming guests if you have more graphics cards. It's like GRID but built out of cheap (relatively) components.

I have the virtualization piece working so the rest of it is something I'll be playing with once steam OS is released.

I did. If this is true then at least to me the steamOS becomes entirely useless, I'm better off using a wireless adapter to connect my tv/controllers to my pc. Why exactly would anyone get a steambox instead? It's even more useless than a regular console.

A beefy Steambox could run all games locally and only would need to stream games, that aren't supported by SteamOS/Linux ;)

Those better quality wireless HDMI adapters are rather pricey ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

A beefy Steambox could run all games locally and only would need to stream games, that aren't supported by SteamOS/Linux ;)

Those better quality wireless HDMI adapters are rather pricey ...

And why wouldn't I get a normal PC instead? What exactly is the advantage of having a steam OS?

The one I saw costs less than 200$. It pretty much aces all the reviews even when up against 500$+ products.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00630WKGI?ie=UTF8&tag=thewire06-20

And why wouldn't I get a normal PC instead? What exactly is the advantage of having a steam OS?

The one I saw costs less than 200$. It pretty much aces all the reviews even when up against 500$+ products.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00630WKGI?ie=UTF8&tag=thewire06-20

Windows isn't really suited to be controlled via a gamepad ;)

A beefy steambox is nothing else than a normal pc with Steam OS on it ...

Read the reviews. There are enough about bad connection or bad streaming quality.

Windows isn't really suited to be controlled via a gamepad ;)

A beefy steambox is nothing else than a normal pc with Steam OS on it ...

Read the reviews. There are enough about bad connection or bad streaming quality.

You can easily add non-steam games to your steam and use big picture mode while on the tv.

Exactly, which makes it useless.

Every review I've read about it is very positive.

You can easily add non-steam games to your steam and use big picture mode while on the tv.

Exactly, which makes it useless.

Every review I've read about it is very positive.

well ... there is no 'dumbuser'-way to boot to big picture yet ;)

Also the steambox will be more then just your games.

It should offer an integrated solution (media,games, etc.) like modern game consoles.

Although this is somewat possible now, it requires work and doesn't work flawless ...

But you know what?! You DON'T HAVE to buy/build a steambox ;)

well ... there is no 'dumbuser'-way to boot to big picture yet ;)

Also the steambox will be more then just your games.

It should offer an integrated solution (media,games, etc.) like modern game consoles.

Although this is somewat possible now, it requires work and doesn't work flawless ...

But you know what?! You DON'T HAVE to buy/build a steambox ;)

All you have to do is get a hotkey that'll open steam on your controller. It's pretty easy to do in windows.

I know I don't have to, and I won't. As I said, if it bricks your PC when you want to stream then a wireless adapter can do that as well. Actually, maybe I'll just get something really cheap for <100$ and install steamOS just to stream the games as that would probably be cheaper than an actual adapter.

I know I don't have to, and I won't. As I said, if it bricks your PC when you want to stream then a wireless adapter can do that as well.

vs.

Actually, maybe I'll just get something really cheap for <100$ and install steamOS just to stream the games as that would probably be cheaper than an actual adapter.

Well @Canoas I wrote some large replies to all of your posts but I accidentally refreshed my page and it went poof. I have written about where their trying to go with in the many steam OS and seam box threads on this forum. Basically their trying to get into another market, gaming in the living room. When their they are why wouldnt they try to get some of the console gamers to switch over if possible, especially those on the edge thats are turned away with dealing with the hardware and software. For those people that already have a best gaming rig Steam OS might be a nice way to get that gaming power into the living room without building a separate system thats beefy. To stream I imagine you can get away with a APU. I hope what I said makes sense. If you have any specific questions please ask.

Well @Canoas I wrote some large replies to all of your posts but I accidentally refreshed my page and it went poof. I have written about where their trying to go with in the many steam OS and seam box threads on this forum. Basically their trying to get into another market, gaming in the living room. When their they are why wouldnt they try to get some of the console gamers to switch over if possible, especially those on the edge thats are turned away with dealing with the hardware and software. For those people that already have a best gaming rig Steam OS might be a nice way to get that gaming power into the living room without building a separate system thats beefy. To stream I imagine you can get away with a APU. I hope what I said makes sense. If you have any specific questions please ask.

I understand that, but those with an already beefy gaming desktop will benefit from plugging their computer to the tv instead of having to buy another more expensive machine just to stream their games. Maybe there will be incredibly cheap steamboxes, but right now any custom built one will be more expensive than a wireless adapter.

I understand that, but those with an already beefy gaming desktop will benefit from plugging their computer to the tv instead of having to buy another more expensive machine just to stream their games. Maybe there will be incredibly cheap steamboxes, but right now any custom built one will be more expensive than a wireless adapter.

Build your own based on the minimum requirements and I assume itll be pretty cheap. It will also do more than the HDMI extender and more than just stream games. It would replace things like a WDTV and other device for watching or listening to media in the living room.

Build your own based on the minimum requirements and I assume itll be pretty cheap. It will also do more than the HDMI extender and more than just stream games. It would replace things like a WDTV and other device for watching or listening to media in the living room.

The minimum needed to build a pc is around 200$. No matter how crappy the pc is you still have to use ~50$ on a MB, ~50$ on a HDD and ~50$ on a PSU, and then you have to get the actual APU, some ram, a case and possibly a wi-fi adapter. If you want micro ITX, which is what would make sense for a living room pc, then it'd be around 300$ minimum. In the end you'll be paying almost as much as a PS4 just for the ability to stream from the PC into the living room.

The minimum needed to build a pc is around 200$. No matter how crappy the pc is you still have to use ~50$ on a MB, ~50$ on a HDD and ~50$ on a PSU, and then you have to get the actual APU, some ram, a case and possibly a wi-fi adapter. If you want micro ITX, which is what would make sense for a living room pc, then it'd be around 300$ minimum. In the end you'll be paying almost as much as a PS4 just for the ability to stream from the PC into the living room.

If a intel NUC can meet the minimum youd be pretty well off too also gigabyte and zotac have mini PCs. Or some bigger company might even come out with a small one with steam os already on it for a great price. I mean all you really need to receive the streaming is a hardware H.264 decoder for best performance. Even if you were paying almost as much your streaming from a beefy PC so i would hope the GFX would be better than a PS4.

Actually, nvm the hdmi wireless adapter. Get a ouya or something super cheap, install Splashtop on it and you're done. You get a cheap machine capable of playing crappy games or just streaming directly from your pc as well as acting as a mediacenter.

If a intel NUC can meet the minimum youd be pretty well off too also gigabyte and zotac have mini PCs. Or some bigger company might even come out with a small one with steam os already on it for a great price. I mean all you really need to receive the streaming is a hardware H.264 decoder for best performance. Even if you were paying almost as much your streaming from a beefy PC so i would hope the GFX would be better than a PS4.

The GFX would be better but it still wouldn't be worth the cost.

Actually, nvm the hdmi wireless adapter. Get a ouya or something super cheap, install Splashtop on it and you're done. You get a cheap machine capable of playing crappy games or just streaming directly from your pc as well as acting as a mediacenter.

You can stream from say steam or other stuff with a ouya decently? Isnt that what linus basically did with his phone and there were so many restrictions and it didnt run anywhere near as good as the shield?

You can stream from say steam or other stuff with a ouya decently? Isnt that what linus basically did with his phone and there were so many restrictions and it didnt run anywhere near as good as the shield?

Yeah, I think it was the same app. I don't know the latency it would have with an ouya, but it should be considerably faster than a wireless phone if you use an actual ethernet cable.

Yeah, I think it was the same app. I don't know the latency it would have with an ouya, but it should be considerably faster than a wireless phone if you use an actual ethernet cable.

It was restricted to 800x600 though I think this is because of bandwidth and other stuff. I also assume it worked more like remote desktop not streaming.

It was restricted to 800x600 though I think this is because of bandwidth and other stuff. I also assume it worked more like remote desktop not streaming.

Yep, it is a remote desktop app.

I very much doubt the bandwidth is limited by the app itself, but even if it is then any other remote desktop app will do the trick. Kainy will probably perform better anyway.

Yep, it is a remote desktop app.

I very much doubt the bandwidth is limited by the app itself, but even if it is then any other remote desktop app will do the trick. Kainy will probably perform better anyway.

I also think you migh have had to run windowed possibly and that would be because of how directX and other renders work especially in full screen. What im trying to say is remote desktop is by no means optimal for streaming games.

I also think you migh have had to run windowed possibly and that would be because of how directX and other renders work especially in full screen. What im trying to say is remote desktop is by no means optimal for streaming games.

I already run my games windowed. Why would it not be optimal? As long as there's no drop in quality or latency then it's perfect. Shield was harnessing power from the actual GPU, but with steamos it'll be certainly very similar to a remote desktop app as it'll have to work with all desktops no matter what components are used.

Face it, unless you can get 100$ steamboxes then there are simply better alternatives.

I already run my games windowed. Why would it not be optimal? As long as there's no drop in quality or latency then it's perfect. Shield was harnessing power from the actual GPU, but with steamos it'll be certainly very similar to a remote desktop app as it'll have to work with all desktops no matter what components are used.

Face it, unless you can get 100$ steamboxes then there are simply better alternatives.

Its not optimal because of the fact that there is little to no compression involved in many cases is also not in the same sense.

Its not harnessing all that much GPU power but a dedicated chip on the card to do the recording. It works the same as say streaming to twitch just locally so there is much less latency. I doubt Steam OS will do it that way it will likely do it the same if not close. Record it to h.264 quickly and send that accross the network to the device. They might be able to do GPU assisted h.264 encoding with OpenCL or something of the like.

I never said you could get them for $100 but it will be the cheapest non hack-job quality game streaming across a local network. What $100 options are out right now that do a proper job a game streaming across a local network? To my knowledge there is nothing even close to the $100 price range. You also neglect to take into account the other things that you could do with the steambox vs the $100 game streaming only device. Seam OS and Steam Box's arnt even available yet so well have to see what can be done once they arrive but I imagine Steam OS being very versatile in the living room and making Valve a literal butt-ton of money.

What $100 options are out right now that do a proper job a game streaming across a local network? To my knowledge there is nothing even close to the $100 price range.

Ouya, which will be released soon, together with Kainy. Apparently Kainy is optimized for gaming unlike Splashtop and the reviews seem pretty good.

Ouya, which will be released soon, together with Kainy. Apparently Kainy is optimized for gaming unlike Splashtop and the reviews seem pretty good.

Ouya has been out for a while and basically flopped. From my expeience Valve will probably do a bang-up job on the streaming making it solid and easy to use. Either way do as you wish nothing with this will satisfy you it seems.

I already have a 6 year old home theater PC which can play games at 720p, but 1080p just won't work smoothly. This is the perfect steambox. Gigabit ethernet thru the wall to my main PC too. Its an Intel Q6600, 4 gig of ram, nvidia 430 GT, gigabit ethernet.. I think this is the audience SteamOS is chasing for streaming games only. People with old PCs.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log