Steam OS local game streaming flawed

silencerbob

I don't really think this is a flaw. I had already assumed that this would be the case. Not sure why you'd think otherwise.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Who thought it would be different, it's obvious and why do people always talk about doing 2, 3 or 4 things at the same time!? Why would you or how would you be using your PC if you're gaming in another room?

Who thought it would be different, it's obvious and why do people always talk about doing 2, 3 or 4 things at the same time!? Why would you or how would you be using your PC if you're gaming in another room?

Something simple like web browsing or watching youtube videos is too complicated it seems.....

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I only want Steam OS to come out because then there will be better support for us linus gamers who run actually desktops not just a gaming machine for the tv.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

I pretty much always knew this would be the case. Never realized anyone thought it would be different,

Lol exactly...

And what is the deal-breaker in this?.....IT'S FREE. You can try it, you don't like it? Don't use it xD... that's about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

The streaming stuff is just a feature to ensure backwards compatibility to the Windows game library nothing more.

I actually don't have a problem with this. If I am playing a game on the couch I cant be using my PC as well. I am the only one who uses my PC and this is a perfectly normal limitation in my eyes.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

The thing is ....  NVidia have shadowplay now.  You simply hit a switch and it records gameplay..  You can even stream a fully fledged PC game at 1080p to an NVidia Shield and play a game through it to your TV in another room.

Now think how basic web browsing and listening to music / youtube videos is?  We cant do this? WHY NOT!  I simply want to be able to surf the web on my main rig whilst some1 else is enjoying a beautiful graphics stream through to another PC in my house over WIFI or Ethernet.....HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

Here's the thing. IT IS HARD. If you don't like it, don't use it, or make something better. But because of the 99% chance that you can't make something better, don't bitch about it on the internet and ask how hard it could be. Because it is. The way this works is it basically compresses it as video and sends it to another computer to uncompress it. It's not just sending your computer's raw power to a device.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

How is this a downside? what were you expecting when your desktop is running a game at max setting and streaming it to you tv via your steam box, what your borther and hop on you desktop and play TF2 while you game?

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

The thing is ....  NVidia have shadowplay now.  You simply hit a switch and it records gameplay..  You can even stream a fully fledged PC game at 1080p to an NVidia Shield and play a game through it to your TV in another room.

Now think how basic web browsing and listening to music / youtube videos is?  We cant do this? WHY NOT!  I simply want to be able to surf the web on my main rig whilst some1 else is enjoying a beautiful graphics stream through to another PC in my house over WIFI or Ethernet.....HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

Well, genius, if it's easy why don't you get to work making your own :D

To me it seem like they should be able to output the video to a different display (the remote display) and leave the local one in a somewhat usable mode. Most games don't really use 100% cpu all the time. Maybe that isn't possible now, maybe in the future with higher end GPUs and technology that can take a lot of work away from the CPU (like Mantle has been said to do).

Not saying it would be easy, just seems like it should be possible.

Alt+Tab anyone?

This stops the stream. It comes from the restriction whereby you need full screen mode on. It won't work with windowed mode or windowed full screen. Just like how nvidia Shield works.

I was hoping this was not the case with Steam OS.. :(

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Alt+Tab anyone?

This stops the stream. It comes from the restriction whereby you need full screen mode on. It won't work with windowed mode or windowed full screen. Just like how nvidia Shield works.

I was hoping this was not the case with Steam OS.. :(

How do you know Alt-Tab stops the stream?  If the streaming client is Windows (rather than SteamOS) why should the stream be stopped?

Anyway your point is that you want "client" operating systems (e.g. SteamOS, Windows7) to be multi-user.  Get a server.

Umm I dont think you understand how the tech works... it kinda has ti have that limitation. And whatever your describing is impossible in the home with today's tech.

ooo a company doing something new gets 1 thing wrong... MASS HYSTERIA, MASS HYSTERIA ALL AROUND!!!!

Character artist in the Games industry.

Restrictions or not, I would put money on people figuring out and creating work arounds to make the software do what they want it to do, how they want it to work. It's always how it works.

sysloc

While this maybe bad for "family computer" why would it be bad for gaming computer because who exactly is sharing their PC (AKA personal computer)?

I assumed that this was going to be the way that it was going to work anyway. It just makes it easier for me to play games downstairs on a big TV now. Now I can stream from my good PC to my crappy one downstairs, where as before I'd have to unplug everything, take my PC downstairs, come back and take the keyboard, mouse, controller down along with any wires I will need. Then after a couple of hours when I want to do something else, I have to move and set-up my PC again.

Forgot to ask something very important: nVidia needs to get the image before it even leave the GPU, IIRC, to enable streaming for the Shield with virtually no latency, so how is Steam going to do it for the other video card and more so without dedicated hardware? (Not just AMD, GTX500 and down)

Didn't found anything online regarding the latency.

Forgot to ask something very important: nVidia needs to get the image before it even leave the GPU, IIRC, to enable streaming for the Shield with virtually no latency, so how is Steam going to do it for the other video card and more so without dedicated hardware? (Not just AMD, GTX500 and down)

Didn't found anything online regarding the latency.

I imagine internet streaming just locally.

Thats all nvidia is doing they just have leg up because they have a h.264 encoder on card. Thing is that it records is in no way different than if you used a piece of software as in is basically recoding the live game play.

...how is this a bad thing? If you have the money to set up game steaming I'm guessing you have  smartphone and a laptop. But in reality if you are using a controller it could easily keep putting the input to the game and allow use of the mouse and keyboard for the desktop. 

I imagine internet streaming just locally.

Thats all nvidia is doing they just have leg up because they have a h.264 encoder on card. Thing is that it records is in no way different than if you used a piece of software as in is basically recoding the live game play.

Sorry but you have no idea of what you're talking about.

First: no one is talking about internet, too much latency

Second: I don't remember if the encoder is in the GPU or on the card but it makes a world of difference in latency versu the CPU

The problem is not being able to do it, the problem is being able to do it fast enough to be playable because no one care if the movie takes 30 sec to get from the TV station to you but no one will play a game with 0.5 sec of latency unless it's SimCity or the likes.

I pretty much always knew this would be the case. Never realized anyone thought it would be different,

Who thought you could do this in the first place?

I did. If this is true then at least to me the steamOS becomes entirely useless, I'm better off using a wireless adapter to connect my tv/controllers to my pc. Why exactly would anyone get a steambox instead? It's even more useless than a regular console.