What does AMD Vega need to be a success?

SoloDolo

Do you think AMD Vega will be superior to the GTX 1080 Ti? What does AMD Vega have to be to make it a win for AMD? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

I think that Vega will perform like a 1080 TBH. If AMD wants to win they need to get their pricing right.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

It needs to be priced right. I blame a lot of the apparent lack of success with the R9 Fury is because they priced it the same as GTX 980 Ti. Granted its performance was pretty much the same in DX11 titles, but that seemed like a dumb move from my armchair business thinking. (Though the other part was they cannibalized the Fury lineup for niche SKUs)

And well, the whole stigma about AMD and their drivers needs to go away.

Yeah... AMD has been showing some good improvements with the Ryzen release. If Vega wants to be successful they will really have to sell it cheaper than Nvidia cards, and have benchmarks that match or outperform the GTX series.

...Please.

It needs sales to be a commercial success. It needs high total profits ( (price-cost)*sales ) to be a success for AMD.

Everything else doesn't really matter. I mean, you may thing that performance, and performance per $, will drive sales, but I wouldn't take it to be 1 to 1. And then there is the trade-off between how much you sell vs. how much you make per sale.

To release ALREADY by the time these actually finally get to the shops Volta will be releasing and completely overshadow it at this pace.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

To release ALREADY by the time these actually finally get to the shops Volta will be releasing and completely overshadow it at this pace.

I mean Volta is pretty far off no? Probably wont see them till 2018 and Vega is supposed to release at the end of July. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

1 minute ago, SoloDolo said:

I mean Volta is pretty far off no? Probably wont see them till 2018 and Vega is supposed to release at the end of July. 

Vega ANNOUNCEMENT got delayed until end of July. So on sale probably mid-late August.

EDIT: Volta is just bigger Pascal which is basically efficient Maxwell so if Vega turns out to be a hit then Nvidia will counter by launching Volta early just like Intel did with X299.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

It needs to launch

not sure if I should laugh or agree

Just now, tom_w141 said:

It needs to launch

And not having the black tapes (you see the uncompleted vega in Linus video)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Vega ANNOUNCEMENT got delayed until end of July. So on sale probably mid-late August.

Damn yeah. that is not great then. I think AMD has made a large mistake going with HBM2 memory which is probably causing these delays. 

It needs to be avilable first of all. Doesn't matter if it is 2x faster than the 1080ti if you can't find it on store shelves.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If they want Vega to succeed, they should.. release it last year.

If it's as fast as a 1080ti, cool. If it's a bit cheaper, even better. But, the 10 series launched last Spring...  People have been buying 1080s and 1070s for over a year with no competition from AMD. 

People will always be building new PCs. But, the longer AMD delays, the longer they're giving nVidia to prepare their new architecture, which will be faster than Vega, probably use less power, and probably cost not much more than Vega.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, SoloDolo said:

Damn yeah. that is not great then. I think AMD has made a large mistake going with HBM2 memory which is probably causing these delays. 

Actually the fact that Frontier is ready + Raja's comments during the AMA would point toward they aren't happy with the drivers yet for gaming so they are giving themselves more time to work on them. Is it annoying? Yes. But to be honest it is the right move on their (or any business') part, launching a product you know isn't ready can backfire and cause bad initial reviews which are the reviews most consumers will see and pay attention to.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

If they want Vega to succeed, they should.. release it last year.

If it's as fast as a 1080ti, cool. If it's a bit cheaper, even better. But, the 10 series launched last Spring...  People have been buying 1080s and 1070s for over a year with no competition from AMD. 

People will always be building new PCs. But, the longer AMD delays, the longer they're giving nVidia to prepare their new architecture, which will be faster than Vega, probably use less power, and probably cost not much more than Vega.

Volta is not any faster than Pascal, in fact its the same just more cuda cores per gpu. The architecture hasn't really changed since Maxwell tbh. Pascal = Power efficient Maxwell. Also the 1080Ti has only been out for a couple of months, the 1080 however yeah was around last summer so they are a bit late in that respect but still have a chance if the price is right. Remember 4k at over 60Hz is very uncommon/expensive for a monitor so their goal is 4K 60fps they don't care about beating Volta at all because at the moment with 4k there is no point aiming higher than 60fps.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Volta is not any faster than Pascal, in fact its the same just more cuda cores per gpu. The architecture hasn't really changed since Maxwell tbh. Pascal = Power efficient Maxwell

How do you figure? The 1080 is 25% faster than a 980 Ti stock vs stock. The 1080 Ti is 50% faster than a 980 Ti. Volta will probably see similar gains. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Actually the fact that Frontier is ready + Raja's comments during the AMA would point toward they aren't happy with the drivers yet for gaming so they are giving themselves more time to work on them. Is it annoying? Yes. But to be honest it is the right move on their (or any business') part, launching a product you know isn't ready can backfire and cause bad initial reviews which are the reviews most consumers will see and pay attention to.

While that is true, don't you think that drivers should be ready by now? 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Volta is not any faster than Pascal, in fact its the same just more cuda cores per gpu. The architecture hasn't really changed since Maxwell tbh. Pascal = Power efficient Maxwell

With higher clocks, an improved memory compression algorithm and better async support....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Pascal is just shrinked Maxwell with way higher clock speeds. Nevertheless, Volta will be faster than Pascal by some amount, meaning it will be faster than Vega. Pricing is where Radeon always beats nVidia, but we'll just have to see how cheap Volta is.

I used to be quite active here.

BTW, how do you know? The only Volta GPU Nvidia has launched is the GV100, which isn't really a gaming GPU....

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

While that is true, don't you think that drivers should be ready by now? 

With higher clocks, an improved memory compression algorithm and better async support....

When i say the same I mean architecture. Obviously volta will be better but that will largely be to the higher core count.

EDIT: Yes they should but they don't. Its annoying but they should not launch when they aren't ready. Delaying is better than bad reviews (from AMD's perspective)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Press releases discuss consumer volta too

And? How do you know that Volta is just overclocked Pascal? Source?

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Pascal is just shrinked Maxwell with way higher clock speeds. Nevertheless, Volta will be faster than Pascal by some amount, meaning it will be faster than Vega. Pricing is where Radeon always beats nVidia, but we'll just have to see how cheap Volta is.

Yes I know that :) Sorry i fleshed my post out a bit more but it was an edit so you probably didn't see sorry.